New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Homebrew: Abandon in Stars (work in progress)

Okay, I've been running and playing the medieval D & D and have homebrewed more than a few of those types of Campaigns, but I grow tired. So, I decided to do a modern/future thing, and was vastly disappointed...

I ran and played some Spycraft, D20 modern/future/modern arcana, Call of Cuthulu, as well as a few others I can't immediately recall, and it wasn't really any different from Core D&D, or at least not what I wanted. So, I decided to do a homebrew, which puts us here...

I'm most familiar with 3.5e, so that's the basis I'm probably going to use for mechanics, possibly some Pathfinder once I absorb the changes (for those not informed about Pathfinder, I redirect you here: www.D20pfsrd.org ) I'm not a fan of 4e, though I do like some of the changes, (especially the 1/day, 1/encounter, at will abilities instead of Spells per day) so I doubt I'll use much of that.

The basic idea I have is a Space Epic setting, but no planets. The fluff will be that all once-habitable planets have long since been stripped of resources and/or polluted beyond salvation, and the denizens of the world live in space station like complexes attached to asteroids which are gathered and mined for metals etc.

I'm a little torn on desirable technology level, as I don't want it to be TOO futuristic, with anti-matter rifles and such, and was thinking of a Dune-esque solution where defensive technologies have grown faster than offensive technologies and so instead of large ships blasting each other into pieces, infantry must board and raid the opposing ship/space station/asteroid etc.

As far of personal weaponry goes, I was going to take a cue from D20 modern and have classes grant you a defensive bonus to AC, and have armor work as damage reduction instead. Infantry can carry small force field generators to stop laser-fire, (mechanically, it would work as energy resistance fire, and it absorbs the first X amount of fire damage, based on strength of shield) and body armor to help with ballistics fire (mechanically DR X/piercing , or DR X/- depending on armor) leaving melee a viable option still. (As well as the joy of wielding Chainsaw Swords )

Classes are giving me a little trouble, as I didn't like D20 modern's classes and felt that, while extremely customizable, where too generic for my tastes. A marine or Soldier class is a must, though I haven't figured out flavor and the only idea I have is that they get better proficiency with body armor and maybe "combo" weapons (Like Chainsaw guns). A Technician class to fill my skillful slot, that would get lots of skill points and can repair weapons, hack computers, and get damage bonus against constructs. Haven't decided if I should put magic in the setting, but a Psyker class could fit in with the world.

As for races Humans are a given. Most players can suspend their disbelief easier if they have a few things to relate to. I imagine they won't be changed much from Core D & D.
    I also have an idea for a human-esque race of tattooed barbarians, the savages of the world, called Turks. Not in reference to any real world connection to Turkey, but mostly because I like the name.
    Then an androgynous race of Plant people from the outer edge of the world. They would look like humans, except slightly taller and much more thin, with no defining male or female characteristics. Also, no ears, instead they hear by "feeling" sound vibrations on their body, and I was maybe thinking, no mouth and letting them communicate telepathically. They would grow from Large Vine-like structures floating in space. They would not need to breathe and could survive in the void of space, and would gather light for food. Might have to tone them down, looking at it now makes me think LA...
    The last race I have swirling around in my head wouldn't be accessible to player characters, and would be like the universal "bad-guys" of the world, much like Star Trek's Borg, or Firefly's Reavers, but I have yet to think of a name. They would be a race of sentient machines, but instead of a cliche "Terminator" or "Phyrexia" ( <- from Magic: the gathering), they believe that flesh is superior to metal, and the only flaw of man kind is their minds. So they capture the other races, rip out their brains, and replace they with demonic super-computers.

So, there it is. I know it's really vague, but I posted it up here to help gather ideas. More race and class suggestions are badly needed, and I don't know if I should hassle with mechanics for Space dog fighting. Fully 3D battles with no gravity seems like a DM's worst nightmare..

So please, suggestions, critiques, and questions welcomed!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Homebrew: Abandon in Stars (work in progress)

<Reserved for detailed classes>

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

<Reserved for detailed Races>

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

< Reserved for Weapons, Armor, Items, Mechanics, and anything else>