New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Mesopotamia -esque Campaign Setting

Looks fine! But I think we shouldn't put much work into beautiful maps right now, as ideas are still growing and things have to be worked out. For that matter, i have one or two things I wanna talk about:

1. City States. All cities in Sumer were their own states, with a king or priest-king and the unavoidable bureaucracy to run a state, no matter how small. Some cities battled each other, trying to increase their influence and wealth by collecting tax, slaves and goods from subordinated cities. Others made contracts and build commercial relationship. Very few cities remain something like neutral for a long time (or at least they were not massacred and burned in wars), as they were devoted to very important gods or are famous for culture and craftsmanship.

This could be interesting for gameplay in the Eridu setting, as players don't have to walk hundrets of miles to encounter different attitudes, rules and people - they are 10 miles away. And because the influence of many city states weren't that big (most remain to be just the local city in a 10-20 mile radius), DMs will have a good time creating "random" city states for their campaign.

2. Netherworld (called Aralu). In the land of dust and shadows is the palace of Ereshkigal, the goddes of death and the netherworld. It is surrounded by seven walls and guarded by a gatekeeper everyone (even a goddess like Innanna) has to pass. the ghosts of all death humans go to Aralu and remain there in darkness. If the descendants or relatives of a dead person didnt celebrate funerary rituals with food and drinks, his ghost was likely to haunt the living people, wandering around in all eternity. So to speak, in sumerian mythology dead people were pretty much fu**ed up.

Great source for adventures I think, there were so many smaller and lesser gods or demons that could make a deal with the player characters... or think of the possibility a character dies, in the Eridu setting chances to revive people are better than in lets say Forgotten Realms, because the mythology downright invites heroes into the Aralu :)

3. Abzu. The realm of Enki, right above Aralu, is like a reservoir of all sweet water in the world, were Enki remains. It was the husband of Tiamat before, but Enki killed Abzu and made him his home (persons and principles can be the same, now thats something to think about).

Because Enki is the god of magic, mysteries, knowlegde and the patron of humanity, some characters like wizards scorcerers with a connection to this realm will perhaps try to find the Abzu? Think of a realm beneath the surface, full of rivers, lakes and waterfalls that power every fount in the surface, could be a great journey.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Antariuk; 2009-03-10 at 01:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't know anything about Mesopotamian culture, but from an "unknowing observer" point of view, it sounds very interesting.

On the city states thing, I think it is a very good idea, both for the gameplay reasons that you stated, but also because of the fact that city-states is concept rarely used in fantasy/fictional worlds. And we all love originality, don't we?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Antariuk View Post
    What do you think?
    I agree in all respects and like it all.

I would modify the undead bit a little. They didn't think of their dead as f'd up, just as much closer to the living. The darkness of the afterlife was considered a place of rest and the ghosts whjo stayed in this world were considered a natural phenomenon. i woudl give each city state at least two or three families who are being visited by a ghost. Many of those families might be happy to have grandma around and leave out offering to her, while others would be sick of their dead relatives interfering in things. The PCs can ingore that or take it up as a plot hook at their option.

I think the yellow stuff on the original map was supposed to be desert. I do think we need to shake up the geography a little, addign more biomes to keep things interesting. Marshes would not be out of place, for certain.

Also when you have a fnatasy map where the land spills off all four edges of the map (and you can't see what's on the far shore of the only sea) you're in n trouble. If we want this to be self-contained then we should make that clear if we want neighbouring countries that are off our Eridu map and may be nothibng like Eridu, we should come up with the basics of whatthose countries are like.

ap
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #94

Again, I do not have much knowledge about this time period, but I assume that it would be reasonable to have a Greek-like culture established in the areas close to Eridu.

Personally, I'm not fond of the idea of simply filling the outlying areas with unknown territory, just as long as these areas do not become a serious concern. After all, they are ultimately irrelevant to the game world.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

We should probably detailsd some separate nations within Eridu. I'm also wondering about dividing the races geographically as they are now. It seems to me that parallel evolution (or creation) and migration patterns are quite possible. You couild have gnoll tribes and nomad and human cities and dwarf strongholds etc all mixed up all over the place. That would work with the idea of city-states and wildernesses.

I also think that we could add a variety of islands each with its own "schtick." I know, I know, very Odyssey and not very Sumerian. But it would be an easy way to provide a whole lot of geographic diversity without adding biomes that are totally alien to the setting.

Island of Giants+
    Island of Talking Animals+
    Island of Sleep*
    Island of Madness*
    Island of Youth*
    Island of the Ruined Nymph
    Island of the Howling Caves
    Island of Lust*
    Island of Vengeance*
    Island of the Man-eaters+
    Island of Fallen Nephilim
    The Island the Gods Forgot
    Island of Wind+
    Burning Island
    etc

* denotes islands under a constant magical effect, all creatures must make save vs effect (insanity, sleep etc)

+ denotes islands inhabited primarily by one species or creature type

The others just have some unique feature or resident that make them infamous.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-03-10 at 04:33 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Islands? Hey, what about Dilmun? The very Island for every Sumerian! :)

To the seperate natiosn/races-thing: I think we can look at history again. Sumerians were surrounded by semitic nomadic tribes. They lived not only in the deserts but also in the mountains. Through time they merged with the Sumerians and the cultures of Akkad, Assur and Babylon were born. Then there was the empire of the Hittite with a culture analog to Sumer but enough differences, for example a superior knowledge in metalworking. Think of indian culture, the system of castes, de religion - very different.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    We should probably detailsd some separate nations within Eridu. I'm also wondering about dividing the races geographically as they are now. It seems to me that parallel evolution (or creation) and migration patterns are quite possible. You couild have gnoll tribes and nomad and human cities and dwarf strongholds etc all mixed up all over the place. That would work with the idea of city-states and wildernesses.
    Definitely. Detailing nations is the best part of worldbuilding, in my opinion.

I also think that we could add a variety of islands each with its own "schtick." I know, I know, very Odyssey and not very Sumerian. But it would be an easy way to provide a whole lot of geographic diversity without adding biomes that are totally alien to the setting.

snip

The others just have some unique feature or resident that make them infamous.
    It could definitely work, and these islands could provide easy plot hooks. However, we'd have to make sure that these islands are well implemented, as opposed to simple comic reliefs (which they will become without proper development).

Another concept that we could introduce is the idea of a "common enemy" or "great evil". I'm thinking that in this setting, this could be an empire which has small terriotrial presence in the game world, but can still prove a threat if required by the story, because of it's holdings outside the frame of the setting.
    Last edited by ufo; 2009-03-10 at 04:28 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98

Whew - sorry for my absence, but Spring Break is upon me and cutting into my internet time (bizarre though that may sound).

That sounds good. For example, many of the pre-flood kings are listed as extreme long-living humans (like 300.000 years), so they were some kind of supernatural? Player could find strange items left behind by these ancestors.
    Current line of thought is that the Nephilim are what remains of the pre-Flood peoples - they hid in those mountains near their territory and managed to survive. I have also considered possibly using some kind of aberrations as Pre-Flood beings.

I like everythign said here. I just want to add that I like the word "me" as it is. I think it we used a capital M and put it in italics, Me would be easy to distinguish and understand. It's a nice counterpoint to the zqar'yari type words all too often found in fantasy.
    I don't mind short words, and we could probably write it in such a fashion as to be okay, but me is just such a common word....

This sounds right up my alley.
    We'd love to have you.

Quote Originally Posted by ufo
    Map that looks much nicer than mine
    That is beautiful, but Antariuk is right, and it's still extremely preliminary.
    Yellow was indeed intended to be desert. Or... super desert, or something.

City-States, Underworld, Abzu/Apsu
    City-states are a certainty, though there will also be empires. One of the main principles I had in mind starting this was that I wanted a Fantasy Assyria, so there will be at least some empires.

The Underworld is something I've been planning on for quite some time - at the moment, Quest to the Underworld is the default (and probably only) method of resurrection.

On Abzu/Apsu, a mystical land of freshwater could be interesting. As far as wizards and sorcerers go, there really aren't any - all casters are either Priests, Prophets, or Hierodules (or other people using Rituals). All magic is basically divine in origin, all that differs is how people draw on it.

Also when you have a fnatasy map where the land spills off all four edges of the map (and you can't see what's on the far shore of the only sea) you're in n trouble. If we want this to be self-contained then we should make that clear if we want neighbouring countries that are off our Eridu map and may be nothibng like Eridu, we should come up with the basics of what those countries are like.
    I think my basic intent was that the map shows the civilized lands known to the area in question - if there is other civilization, it's too far away for these people to get to it. On top of which, there are monsters out there.

These people don't have boats capable of sailing to the other side of the ocean. I will also point out that, in Grey Box Forgotten Realms, land spilled off three edges of the map, and the fourth was an ocean with no hints as to what lay beyond it.

I like the idea of islands, though.

Another concept that we could introduce is the idea of a "common enemy" or "great evil". I'm thinking that in this setting, this could be an empire which has small terriotrial presence in the game world, but can still prove a threat if required by the story, because of it's holdings outside the frame of the setting.
    The closest thing to that which the setting currently has would be the Hobgoblins, the Persian analogues. At the moment, they are being portrayed as a large empire to the east, slowly expanding into the main area of the map.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    I think my basic intent was that the map shows the civilized lands known to the area in question - if there is other civilization, it's too far away for these people to get to it. On top of which, there are monsters out there.

These people don't have boats capable of sailing to the other side of the ocean. I will also point out that, in Grey Box Forgotten Realms, land spilled off three edges of the map, and the fourth was an ocean with no hints as to what lay beyond it.
    I see your point. On the other hand I feel it's a little weak to say, "What's to the west? Endless desert full of monsters. What's to the north? Endless desert full of monsters. The east? Desert, monsters. Across the sea? Oh, no, you don't have boats that can go across the sea! Walk around it? What? But the coast is all endless desert full of monsters!"

I agree that the islands would have to be really well executed. I left off Dilmun because it'd already been suggested and because it's very different from the sort of island I've been suggesting. I'm not sure it should even be a physical place (extraplanar?). If so it should at least be far hardter to reach than the random coastal islands I've been suggesting.

ap
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-03-11 at 10:39 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Another_Poet, you are right. Dilmun is difficult, but I would like to import it because it is deep grounded in the mythology (if we use that). Perhaps it would be an island the players may reach at higher levels, something like "if you are ready to find an enter Dilmun, you won this setting" :)

Currently I am working on some cities (or city states), using the FR campaign setting and other d20 books as ressources. But the most important task are probably the races and classes in this setting. Thane (as this thread is his baby) should make a collection of all his comments and ideas posted so far about classes and races, what should be in and what not, so we can work a bit more focussed.

11. - Top - End - #101

*shamesless bumpzilla*

So, you guys got any other ideas? Something that I might work on, with my limited knowledge of this period of history.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

antariuk - yeah I definitely think we should use Dilmun. Your idea sounds good.

ufo - not sure. Thane, what is the next step here? What do you need the most help with?

I suspect that making the crunch to match the fluff is the big priority.

ap

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Another Poet
    Thane, what is the next step here? What do you need the most help with?
    I'm struggling with the Faith Points most of all, really. I'm rather uncertain on how to execute them. Part of the problem is that I want them to balance with Rage Points, but Rage Points don't really look to be that good in Pathfinder, while I want Faith to be very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Antariuk
    Thane (as this thread is his baby) should make a collection of all his comments and ideas posted so far about classes and races, what should be in and what not, so we can work a bit more focussed.
    Races

Humans

The predominant race throughout the world, humans have a number of cultures throughout the world, and, in general, control its most powerful cities and empires.

There is no doubt (at least to humans) that the gods favor this race above the others.

Humans are have their normal racial abilities and modifiers.

Dwarves

Masters of warfare, the dwarven empire is one feared across the land. Riding powerful scythed chariots and wielding iron weapons, the armies of the dwarves are devastatingly effective.

Dwarves have their normal racial abilities, except that, instead of receiving +1 to hit orcs and goblinoids, and receiving a +4 dodge bonus against giants, dwarves receive these bonuses against something else (yet undecided). Also, Favored Class is now Scout.

Nephilim

It is said that, before the Flood, men were of far greater stature then they are now. Thus is claimed the origin of the Nephilim, those who, somehow, defied the gods themselves and survived the great cataclysm. Others claim that these giants among men are descended from the gods themselves.

Regardless of their origin, however, the Nephilim are as powerful as they are large, a race to be feared by men.

Nephilim are treated as half-giants, except that they receive no natural psionic abilities or boosts.

Hobgoblins

To the east lies the Empire of Kuresh, the land of the hobgoblins. Though cunning and militant, the hobgoblins are alien to other races - theirs is a religion of but a single god, and a culture of odd taboos. They obey few of the same religious practices as more polytheistic beings.

Theirs is a new empire, but it is one which is on the rise.

Hobgoblins have the following modifiers:

+2 Intelligence
    Base Speed 30 ft
    Darkvision to 60 ft.
    +2 racial bonus to Saving Throws vs. fear effects
    Limited Religion Choices
    -2 racial penalty to Diplomacy and Bluff checks when dealing with individuals of other races
    Favored Class: Fighter

Gnolls

The gnolls are an odd people, and are more animalistic than any of the world's other races. Most gnolls boast the head of either a hyena or a jackal, but there are some whose appearance is catlike, reptilian, or even birdlike. Regardless, gnolls tend to be fierce and warlike, and are known to be scavengers - after a battle, it is not uncommon for the victorious gnolls to feast upon the dead. Meat is meat, after all. Perhaps because of this, gnoll kings are known to have elaborate tombs constructed. An attempt to ward off potential tomb feeders?

Gnolls have the following modifiers:

+2 Strength, -2 Charisma
    Base Speed 30 ft
    Low-light vision
    +1 Natural Armor Modifier
    Gnolls can speak with whatever kind of animal they resemble, as per Speak with Animal, 1/day
    Hunger: A gnoll must eat red meat at least once per day. A gnoll who does not consume such suffers a -1/day penalty to all Attack Rolls and Skill Checks. The penalty is relieved when the gnoll feeds upon red meat. Note that the gnoll must still eat regularly, as with other humanoids; this is simply an additional requirement.
    Favored Class: Ranger

Faravahar

Guardian spirits sent by the gods, Faravahar are largely human in appearance, excluding their large, feathered wings. These beings are usually sent by the gods to protect important individuals from evil spirits. Because of this, Faravahar are more dependent on remaining faithful to their patrons then are many other beings.

Faravahar have no cultures of their own.

Faravahar have the following modifiers:

Base Speed 30 ft. Fly 30 ft. (poor)
    Faravahar are Native Outsiders rather than Humanoids
    Spirit: A Faravahar is dependent on its patron god for its continued existence. As such, a Faravahar must spend Faith Points to remain at full power.<Insert stuff about how that works>.
    On the map, the nephilim are near the mountains, with the idea that they may have hidden at the highest peaks, surviving the Flood.

Hobgoblins are a bit boring at the moment.

Classes:

Fighter:
    The most basic class, the fighter is largely unchanged, with the main difference being that he now gains Faith Points. The fighter is the basic soldier, a staunch follower of the gods (probably).

Barbarian:
    Currently, we're using the Pathfinder barbarian, or at least something very similar. Barbarians get Rage points instead of Faith. Enkidu would be the archetypal barbarian.

Rogue:
    Kind of a filler class at the moment, the Rogue is basically unchanged, except that he gets Faith Points. And that locks and traps are less common.

Scout:
    The Scout is mostly in as a charioteer and skirmisher class. He shoots people and gets Faith Points; pretty straightforward.

Ranger:
    I'm still planning to try for a Ranger with no spellcasting, who can serve as a skirmisher type, but I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps the poor ranger should be ditched, with the Scout taking his place. If he stays, he'll get Faith Points.

Priest:
    Basically the Cleric, the Priest gets a smaller spell list. The plan is for him to be a Clericzilla type. He represents most priests of established temples, and is the most common type of caster. He's mostly a martial sort, though, I guess - Gilgamesh would be the archetype, here. No Faith Points.

Prophet:
    The other full caster, the prophet is also divine, but functions more like a wizard - he gets more offensive spells, but is physically weaker, and I've tried to avoid giving him self-buffs. No Faith Points, and might not get to cast Rituals at all. Moses would be the archetypal Prophet. I've also considered some non-casting powers, but most of them have been put to the side.

Hierodule:
    A partial-caster, the Hierodule is another established priestess. Her main schtick is that she's a civilizing influence, as well a direct representation of her goddess, and this gives her power over Faith and Rage points - specifically, she can sap points, give points, and such. Giving Faith to someone who has Rage drains Rage rather than giving Faith. The Hierodule also has some scribe elements.

Spell Lists:

Prophet Spells (Sorted Roughly by Level):
    The Prophet is, in general, the major caster. He gets the offensive spells and the debuffs in particular.

Bane
    Bless
    Cause Fear
    Cure Light Wounds
    Deathwatch
    Doom
    Magic Stone
    Magic Weapon
    Obscuring Mist
    Remove Fear

Aid
    Bear's Endurance
    Bull's Strength
    Consecrate
    Cure Moderate Wounds
    Darkness*
    Hold Person
    Make Whole
    Remove Paralysis
    Resist Energy
    Lesser Restoration
    Shatter
    Silence

Bestow Curse
    Blindness/Deafness
    Contagion
    Create Food/Water
    Cure Serious Wounds
    Daylight
    Deeper Darkness
    Dispel Magic
    Locate Object
    Magic Circle against Alignment
    Prayer
    Protection from Energy
    Remove Curse
    Stone Shape
    Water Walk

Control Water
    Cure Critical Wounds
    Dismissal
    Greater Magic Weapon
    Planar Ally, Lesser
    Poison
    Repel Vermin
    Restoration
    Sending
    Spell Immunity

Atonement
    Break Enchantment
    Commune
    Cure Light Wounds, Mass
    Dispel Alignment
    Flame Strike
    Insect Plague
    Mark of Justice
    Plane Shift
    True Seeing

Animate Objects
    Banishment
    Bear's Endurance, Mass
    Bull's Strength, Mass
    Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass
    Dispel Magic, Greater
    Forbiddance
    Heal
    Heroes' Feast
    Planar Ally

Control Weather
    Cure Serious Wounds, Mass
    Destruction
    Regenerate
    Repulsion
    Restoration, Greater

Cloak of Chaos
    Cure Critical Wounds, Mass
    Discern Location
    Earthquake
    Firestorm
    Holy Aura
    Planar Ally, Greater
    Shield of Law
    Unholy Aura

Energy Drain
    Heal, Mass
    Implosion
    Miracle
    Storm of Vengeance

Priest (Cleric) Spells:
    The Priest is more the martial caster; he gets buffs and the ability to fight.

Bless
    Cure Light Wounds
    Deathwatch
    Detect Alignment
    Divine Favor
    Entropic Shield
    Magic Stone
    Magic Weapon
    Protection from Alignment
    Remove Fear
    Shield of Faith

Augury
    Bear's Endurance
    Bull's Strength
    Consecrate
    Cure Moderate Wounds
    Death Knell?
    Remove Paralysis
    Resist Energy
    Lesser Restoration
    Shield Other

Cure Serious Wounds
    Daylight
    Dispel Magic
    Magic Vestment
    Prayer
    Protection from Energy
    Remove Curse

Cure Critical Wounds
    Death Ward
    Dismissal
    Divination
    Divine Power
    Greater Magic Weapon
    Planar Ally, Lesser
    Repel Vermin
    Restoration

Atonement
    Commune
    Cure Light Wounds, Mass
    Dipel Alignment
    Mark of Justice
    Plane Shift
    Righteous Might
    Spell Resistance

Banishment
    Bear's Endurance, Mass
    Bull's Strength, Mass
    Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass
    Dispel Magic, Greater
    Forbiddance
    Heal
    Planar Ally

Cure Serious Wounds, Mass
    Regenerate
    Restoration, Greater

Cloak of Chaos
    Cure Critical Wounds, Mass
    Discern Location
    Holy Aura
    Planar Ally, Greater
    Shield of Law
    Unholy Aura

Heal, Mass
    Miracle

Ritual Spells
    (These can be cast by members of any class, and may be memorizeable to priests and prophets):

Bless
    Cure Light Wounds
    Magic Stone
    Magic Weapon
    Protection from Alignment

Augury
    Bear's Endurance
    Bull's Strength
    Cure Moderate Wounds
    Delay Poison
    Eagle's Splendor
    Gentle Repose
    Resist Energy
    Shield Other

Dispel Magic
    Glyph of Warding
    Invisibility Purge
    Locate Object
    Magic Vestment
    Remove Blindness/Deafness
    Remove Disease

Dismissal
    Greater Magic Weapon
    Neutralize Poison
    Planar Ally, Lesser
    Spell Immunity
    Tongues

Break Enchantment
    Commune
    Dispel Alignment
    Raise Dead
    Righteous Might

Banishment
    Dispel Magic, Greater
    Forbiddance
    Glyph of Warding, Greater
    Planar Ally

Resurrection

Cloak of Chaos
    Holy Aura
    Planar Ally, Greater
    Shield of Law
    Spell Immunity, Greater
    Unholy Aura

True Resurrection

Rituals are spells which can be cast by almost anybody - Priests and Hierodules will memorize them like other spells, while other characters will need to use Faith Points to do it. Rituals will generally be time-consuming to cast and will cost small amounts of money, but can be stored by setting aside the Faith used to cast them.
    Strolen's Citadel

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Regarding Faith points, I would start off balancing them on their own right if I were you, and then work out how they equate to rage points afterward. If 3 rage points equal 1 faith point or something, that's not too hard to use.

The first question to ask is whether you want Faith pools to be large or small. By large I mean 100 Faith points, with abilities costing 10-60 points per use. Byu small I mean like 6 points, with abilities costing 1 or 2 points per use.

A large pool offers a lot more room for gradation (this one isn't as good as the 30 point ability but it's stronger than the 20 point ability let's call it 25). Small pools tend to be easier for people to mentally track. So a large pool is more flexible but you'll need to make a nice clear chart for faith cost and a nice faith point tracking box on the char sheet.

I know you had a short list of abilities you could use with Faith points. Try to brainstorm it out, write every possible use for faith points. Once you have the whole list we can work together to balance out which are better than which and make a hierarchy. Then pricing within your pool size should be easy.

Only then do you need to figure out how they translate to Rage.

ap

15. - Top - End - #105

I like your idea, but am having trouble coming up with stuff that Faith can do. These would be my current ideas:

Reroll attack rolls
    Reroll saving throws
    Force enemies to reroll attack rolls
    Damage reduction
    Use/hold rituals
    Heal damage
    Reroll skill check
    Throw off compulsion
    Power attack with a missile weapon (maybe - this might better serve as a feat)

As far as numbers go, I'm currently leaning towards a system where each individual point is important. I'm also strongly considering giving points per combat, rather than per day.

In other news, any ideas for class abilities for prophets? So far he's got spells and a limited way to commune with his god. And he needs more.
    Strolen's Citadel

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hello all,

I have read through the thread and so far, the setting looks good. However, even though I do not know very much about Mesopotamia, there is one thing I need to address.

Language
    Babylonian (and probably other Mesopotamian languages) has something called "Vowel Harmony." I probably will fail at explaining this correctly, so here is an example:

For the word "Sharraqum," if you add the suffix "-et," the word will not be "Sharraqumet," but will instead be "Sherreqemet." (No, I do not know if that word or suffix exists, or what they mean if they do)

And a Wikipedia link. Keep this type of thing in mind when devising names in the setting.
    GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

GENERATION 1+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig, square it, and subtract i. Social experiment.

Player Registry

17. - Top - End - #107

That is both interesting and staggeringly complicated, and certainly something to consider.

Sorry that I almost missed your post.
    Strolen's Citadel

18. - Top - End - #108

Sorry about letting this fall so far, those who are still interested.

A somewhat re-worked Faith system, with thanks to Lappy9000 for some of the new Faith powers (and yes, I'd still be interested in having more):

Every character has a Faith score, which generally hovers somewhere around 4-ish, with the exception of the classes which don't get Faith points. Every character begins with a Faith of 4 (unless he wants it to begin lower).

At the beginning of every combat, a character gets a number of Faith points equal to his Faith score. He has until the end of the combat to use these points.

Faith Points can be used as follows (note that none of these uses require actions unless otherwise stated):

Re-roll Attack Roll: 1 point
    Use this after you have made an attack roll. You may even spend further points to continue re-rolling the re-roll.

Re-roll Saving Throw: 2 points
    This functions exactly like the above option, except that it allows you to re-roll saving throws instead of attack rolls.

Re-roll skill check: 1
    Just like the above, except that you can re-roll skill checks.

Force Re-rolled Attack: 2 points
    After somebody attacks you, you can use this ability to force them to re-roll their attack roll.

Damage reduction: 2 points / 1 DR
    During your turn, you may spend any number of Faith points to gain Damage Reduction equal to half the number of points you spent / -. Alternatively, as an immediate action, you may use this ability after somebody hits you with an attack,

Heal damage: 1d6 / 1 point or 1d6 / 2 points
    As a standard action, you may spend any number of Faith points to heal damage. You regain 1d6 hit points for every Faith point which you spend. Alternatively, you may use this ability as an Immediate action, in which case you regain 1d6 hit points for every 2 Faith points you spend.

Throw off compulsion: 3
    Any time your character is under a magical compulsion, he may spend 3 Faith points to have the compulsion permanently removed. Note that you cannot be prevented from doing this through a compulsion.

Divine Eye: 2 points / round
    For every round in which you spend 2 Faith points to activate this ability, any damage dice which you roll are altered:

{table=head]Old Die|New Die
    d4|1d2+2
    d6|1d4+2
    d8|1d4+4
    d10|1d6+4
    d12|1d6+6
    [/table]

Inevitability : 4 points
    Spend 4 points after making a successful melee attack to halve the current durations of any beneficial effects currently in use by the target. You may use this ability only once per round.

Favor: 2 points / round
    Every round in which you spend 2 points to activate this ability, gain a +2 favor bonus to AC and all attack rolls.
    Strolen's Citadel

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

At the risk of getting beaten for rising this necrotic thread:

Thane, are you still working on this project? I moved recently and now I found some of my notes about city states and other ideas for this setting and I remembered...

20. - Top - End - #110

I had actually recently been considering starting a new thread for this, but I haven't had much progress since the last update.

The Faith Point system in particular has been killing me.
    Strolen's Citadel

21. - Top - End - #111

I had actually recently been considering starting a new thread for this, but I haven't had much progress since the last update.

I would suggest checking out the action point system from Eberron for inspiration (if you haven't already). You could also look at the prestige classes and feats for that system that allow extended use of AP.
    Planetkiller avatar by The Randomizer

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anything I can help you with?
    I am also wondering if you changed some rules or incorporated new ideas?

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Antariuk View Post
    Anything I can help you with?
    I am also wondering if you changed some rules or incorporated new ideas?
    Actually, looking up a few posts there appears to be a very workable faith point system.

Which means that, at the moment, class features for the Prophet and Hierodule are probably the big necessities (the former being a full caster and the latter being the faith point manipulator). Priests could probably use some, too.
    Strolen's Citadel

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

May be it's a little to late but I just registered and saw this topic.

You wanted a reason why to include wizards? Well, 'mage' is word that comes from persian origin. It comes from magi, which were wise men and followers of the eternal flame if I can recall correctly. They were more like alchemists and astrologers than magicians, but you could work with something there.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Also a newly-registered newbie chiming in on the old thread...

An above poster mentioned a hierodule who did some historical recording. Perhaps thinking of Enheduanna? The first named author, possibly daughter of Sargon the Conquerer (whether she was speaking literally or figuratively is unclear), and a priestess. Though not a heirodule as far as I know. This suggests the use of part of the Archivist approach for divine casters -- they need a "prayer book" for the spells they can cast, reflecting that, in this setting, there is something magical about writing.

And a thought on the "common enemy" that might be used. I've been thinking of developing a campaign set during the Bronze Age Collapse. Some contemporary sources point to the Sea Peoples as being responsible for some of the widespread destruction seen around 1200 BC... of course I have my own ideas about who the Sea Peoples would actually be in my setting, but I'm sure other ideas present themselves. And this time period is just amazing (Bronze Age Collapse, Trojan War, Ramses the Great, Fu Hao, and other interesting figures and events).

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Mogrii
    You wanted a reason why to include wizards? Well, 'mage' is word that comes from persian origin. It comes from magi, which were wise men and followers of the eternal flame if I can recall correctly. They were more like alchemists and astrologers than magicians, but you could work with something there.
    Right. I have seen references to such things. The sources I have read, however, generally suggest that there is only really one 'type' of magic to Mesopotamians, and that it comes more or less from the gods. Anyone, however, is able to achieve certain effects. I am, therefore, considering adding a variant of the Expert class to achieve the magi role. I don't know how much you've looked through the thread, but one idea I've had is of rituals - these are spells castable by anyone with the right components. The Magi could get an advantage at using these (perhaps paying fewer Faith points).

Quote Originally Posted by Aldizog
    An above poster mentioned a hierodule who did some historical recording. Perhaps thinking of Enheduanna? The first named author, possibly daughter of Sargon the Conquerer (whether she was speaking literally or figuratively is unclear), and a priestess. Though not a heirodule as far as I know. This suggests the use of part of the Archivist approach for divine casters -- they need a "prayer book" for the spells they can cast, reflecting that, in this setting, there is something magical about writing.
    I am fairly certain that that is indeed who was being described. Something like this is quite possible - many spells will be rituals, as mentioned above, and those characters with spells slots instead of Faith or Rage points will memorize them as other spells (assuming that they have the components). Having some sort of written record of how to perform the ritual would of course be important.

And a thought on the "common enemy" that might be used. I've been thinking of developing a campaign set during the Bronze Age Collapse. Some contemporary sources point to the Sea Peoples as being responsible for some of the widespread destruction seen around 1200 BC... of course I have my own ideas about who the Sea Peoples would actually be in my setting, but I'm sure other ideas present themselves. And this time period is just amazing (Bronze Age Collapse, Trojan War, Ramses the Great, Fu Hao, and other interesting figures and events).
    Ah yes, the Sea Peoples, some of my favorites. I had actually forgotten about them, but yes, they would indeed be appropriate for inclusion.
    Strolen's Citadel