New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: the Crimson Gale IC

Lucivar

Lucivar simply nods at the news. He had noticed the man, but having not recognized him had decided not to trouble himself overly much.

Eclipse, Servant of the Dark God. Servants of the Fallen
    Necrosis
    , True Necromancer, Unbound
    Xxzyx
    , Impure Prince, Seas of Change, Winds of Fate
    Quintillius, Paladin of the Red Knight, Run to the North

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

A loud thump reverberates through the underground chamber. The general ruckus dies down immediately as the collected corsairs strain to listen. The tap of boots on the wooden flooring of the shack echoes around in the silence. The trap door clatters open. A booted foot swings down to catch the rungs of the ladder.

The edge of a skirt drops into view.

Instantly the strained silence dissolves as the pirates fall over each other, loudly guffawing and wiping tears from their eyes. Even the grizzled old cripple sitting at the table parts his cracked lips to smile as a young woman with long red hair drops the rest of the distance and curtsies to the congregation. As the laughter begins to fade, Captain Meroveus climbs down the ladder after her and turns about to look around.

At a bit under two meters, Meroveus matches his reputation only in stature. His features are a bit plain, his clothing is well-made but weather-worn, and he has none of the interesting marks and scars that sailors and soldiers become known by. Even the distinctive racial runes slowly dancing around his head, casting a soft blue light across his face, somehow manage to look ordinary. His posture is straight but unassuming, and he's unarmed. A shock of dark red hair is pulled to the base of his neck, and a large and leather-bound book sits comfortably under one arm, as though in his scrutiny of the gathered pirates he's forgotten completely of its existence.

If Meroveus has any sense of the dramatic, he doesn't evidence it now. In the silence of the moment he simply looks from face to face all around the room, nodding at those he recognizes and noting those who're absent. His eyes are precisely the blue-green hue of tropical waters, and there is an uncanny quality to their focus, as though only whomever he's looking at truly exists in that moment.

Finally satisfied, he takes a few steps up the ladder and throws the dead-bolt, locking everyone in. Coming back down, he sets the book on the table and clears his throat.

My name is Tycon Meroveus.

This here's neutral ground, and I've come unarmed. I note the lot of ye ignored that rule.

A slight titter runs through the crowd.

I'm here about a crew. I have news -

He looks around the room to catch a few eyes.

to share with ye and suppose ye have some to share as well. Best that ye should know what you're getting yorselves into.

Have any among ye news of the southern waters?

There is a moment of silence in which anyone might speak up.

-

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

Alluvial

Alluvial's mental deliberations about whether or not to approach the man he has now identified as Captain Garry--

His story could certainly prove useful in the future, but at the same time, he doesn't appear to be in the mood or condition to be interviewed; perhaps if I approach him casually--

by the sudden arrival of the Gale's captain and his daughter. The shock of so suddenly encountering two members of his race--even in his long years of wide travel, Alluvial rarely crossed paths with fellow Illumians--momentarily leaves the characteristically grandiloquent scholar speechless. For a few seconds, images of his life as a child and adolescent among the Wordsmith Cabal come rushing back to the old man's mind, and he is overcome with a profound sense of nostalgia and homesickness, the first he's felt in many decades. He shakes off the paralysis with the speed and focus of long years of training, though, and immediately begins to shove his way through the crowd when he hears Meroveus' question.

Captain! Yes, Captain! Oh, excuse me sir; pardon me; oh, that's quite a representative of the Ara ararauna species you have there, sir--remarkable coloring!; oh, my apologies, I didn't see your foot there; pardon me...

After a moment or two of crowd dodging, Alluvial returns to the rear of the room, and emerges from the crowd to come face-to-face with the Captain.

Yes, Captain Meroveus isn't it? I've heard such a great deal about you, and I must confess that it is very good to see a fellow member of the Word Made Flesh after all these years; you came from the Wordsmith Cabal, did you not? I'm not sure if they ever mentioned me--I didn't exactly part company with the Cabal elders on the most amicable terms--but, as I think I mentioned, I've certainly heard of you; I suppose I should feel a degree of racial pride that my research indicated you would be the most opportune choice of Captain under whom I might continue my exploration, but I've never been much of a jingoist. Alluvial, I am, at your service of course.

He takes a deep breath, regaining the air he expelled in that breathy rush, and affects the slight, awkwardly stiff bow some of the others had already seen; the morning stiffness hadn't quite worked itself out, apparently, despite the heat of the crowded shack.

In any case, I digress from the matter at hand--I do apologize for that, but it's an unfortunate habit I've developed over the years, and I cannot seem to stop it, no matter how stalwartly I endeavor--which, I believe, was news from the Southern waters? I'm not sure what counts as 'news' to your ears; that is, I don't know if what I have to tell you is unknown to you, as I can't read your mind, you know--well, I'm incapable of pseudo-telepathic contact currently, I suppose it would be possible in theory if I had adequate time to prepare, but I'm--

He stops rapidly, seeming to notice the strikingly beautiful Illumian girl with the Captain for the first time. He blinks a few times behind his silver-rimmed spectacles, then shifts his gaze back to the captain and takes a deep breath before continuing.

In any case, I'm sure that not all present know what I do, so it will be news to some at least. Captain, you may or may be aware that the Drow--the dark-skinned race which shares a common ancestor with both the terrestrial and aquatic elves with which most of the populace is more familiar--have recently been, well, I suppose the vernacular term would be "on the march." I have several reasonably reliable accounts attesting to the fact that they have been making a recent bid for oceanic dominance; that they are raising a fleet of warships seems all but certain, but I have also heard rumors suggesting that the fleet may be composed of warships that are, well...invisible. The drow are notoriously adept with magic, particularly that of deception and darkness, so that something like this would be the case is certainly not out of the question; visible or no, they have sunk approximately one dozen ships in the waters south of here. Their ultimate motivations are unknown--at least to me--but it certainly seems an inauspicious omen under which to set sail.

He pauses, then adds rapidly:

Not that you should take this to mean that I don't seek a position among your crew, of course; I've encountered the drow on more than one occasion, and their shadow is often far longer than their threat, if you follow my metaphor...
    Last edited by Polymath; 2009-02-01 at 01:19 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94

RogueGuy

Renato

Renato listens to the old guy, alluvial if he remembers right, interrupting the captain's rhetorical question with a grin. He keeps himself from laughing, knowing the older fellow means no harm.

He speaks up softly, "Captain, I heard em talk a spell earlier, I think he knows what he's talkin bout." Then shuts up to let the captain speak.
    Last edited by DJDeMiko; 2009-02-01 at 02:42 AM.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Krag

Krag listens intently to the captain's question. The answers he receives, not so much. The troll shakes off a diverting thought in time to hear the closure of Alluvial's speech. He offhandedly points to the scholar and adds, "Wot 'e sed."
    A post about nothing.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Asuya

Asuya doesn't laugh with the others as Annaliese arrives, but she does grin and wave cheerily to the girl while her father is occupied with coming down the ladder. She gives the Captain's book a bemused glance, wondering just what kind of reading had interested him, but then focuses her attention on his words. She's beginning to regret not having stayed by the coastline by now- this makes twice that she is going to be unable to provide any useful input. But, as it turns out, Alluvial apparently has enough words to make up for her lack.

Her lack and everyone else's, Asuya notes wryly. The man could talk the ear off a ship's figurehead, but his message was important. Mentally cutting through the rambling and blather, Asuya thinks about the heart of the message- drow in the nearby waters, trying to establish themselves as a threat. Now that doesn't sound good.

"If the drow are trying to take over our waters, they should be shown that the most dangerous ship in the sea sails under our flag!"

Says Asuya loudly, not so much intending to propose that they single-handedly run off to chase out the drow fleet as she is attempting to embolden and inspire those gathered in the little shack, reminding them of their reputation and skill in the face of a rather large threat.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2009-02-01 at 09:47 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97

A stunned hush from the assembly greets Alluvial's rambling monologue, but after the second pause they're no longer fixed on the elderly Illumian. To a man, the pirates are looking from the old man to Captain Meroveus with bloodthirsty anticipation in their eyes. Meroveus, for his part, manifests a nearly inhuman patience. Long after his daughter is rubbing her temples and Captain Garry is clutching a ten-penny that he's produced from under his cloak, Meroveus simply continues nodding at the appropriate times, never breaking eye contact. When the older man finally concludes, he takes his hands off the table-top and straightens up.

Mister Alluvial, need I remind you of that esteemed member of our own cabal who said famously, "brevity is the soul of wit, and tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes."

For the first time his brow wrinkles in slight disapproval.

Whether on my ship or no, you'd be well served to conserve the indulgence of your listeners.

Holding up his hand to forestall response, he leans in towards the unsightly cripple and speaks very softly -

Do ye have any news from the south, Edmund?

-

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Denomer

The Goblin Once again Remains silent in the discussion, instead preferring to hover a few feet so as to see past everyone's waists to the table.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

9. - Top - End - #99

Clearing his throat roughly and spitting to one side, the craggy old man nods and draws his crutch over, standing with surprising ease and casting about with a serious, bitter look on his face.

Edmund Garry, formerly of the Garry's Own. You see -

Without pausing, he begins to limp around a bit as though pacing.

Around about last summer my ship got sank by the drow. Sank her with all hands, myself excluded bless my luck and I was left to float along grasping a spar until picked up by a merchantman and nursed back to health praise be to merciful heaven.

But I had a lot of time to meself as I drifted on the waves -

Edmund...

I'm coming to it, Captain. I'm getting there. Pardon a man for dwelling on his misfortunes.

The long and the short of it be that the south's not safe to sail, nor profitable enough to warrant the danger. My problem, then -

He speaks quickly to forestall another interruption from Meroveus.

is that I have neither ship nor waters to sail her in.

Nodding his head in satisfaction at that, Garry limps with surprising speed over to the wall of sailors surrounding the table, the sailors silently making a path for him. Turning, he resumes speaking.

I'm thinking to take yours.

Those words hang in the air for a moment, and then the silence shatters. Over the hiss of drawing weapons, the click of cocked hammers, and the clatter of barrels and chairs as many of the gathered pirates point weapons at Meroveus, you can hear him calling out.

Garry! I'll have your skull for a figurehead, by god!

And then, even louder

Twenty thousand to whoever brings me the head of Edmund Garry! AND SOMEBODY GET ME A BLOODY WEAPON!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Map should be fairly self-explanatory. 'Sh' is Shael, 'S' is Shearan. 'A' is for Asuya, 'Al' is Alluvial. The brown squares to the west are boxes of goods, the grey rectangles are cots.

Despite the color scheme, none of you are required or expected to fight for Meroveus or even to fight at all. You can even cast your lot in with Garry if you like.

Initiative Order
    Spoiler
    Show

Edmund Garry
    Buckaneer 4
    Buckaneer 5
    Buckaneer 6
    Buckaneer 2
    Renato
    Shearan
    Corsair 2
    Annaliese
    Alluvial
    Corsair 1
    Corsair 3
    Shael
    Lucivar
    Faolan
    Buccaneer 3
    Krag
    Meroveus
    Denomer
    Buccaneer 1
    Corsair 4
    Sailor 2
    Buccaneer 7
    Asuya
    Sailor 3
    Corsair 6
    Corsair 5
    Corsair 7
    Sailor 1
    Last edited by Vox Clamantis; 2009-02-01 at 06:32 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Shael

Shael doesn't need to think about her loyalties. Without Meroveus, she'd be dead by now - or insane. She shouts over the hubbub, her voice booming inside the wooden shack.

"Garry has sold us all, you fools! Side with him and you'll end up in the gallows!"

Spoiler
    Show
    bluff: (1d20+58)[63]
    Avatar lawfully nicked from this xkcd strip.

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    Will dance around my room
    And frolic in my bed

11. - Top - End - #101

Almost before Meroveus gets the words out of his mouth, the older pirate with the gnarled and weathered face pulls a pair of fine percussion-cap pistols out of his coat and fires at him, the sudden blasts ringing throughout the chamber. Both shots impact on the wall far behind him in little puffs of clay and mud.

By god, somebody shoot the man!

Around the table a number of pirates, clearly in league with Garry, produce pistols of their own and fire at Meroveus in a piecemeal salvo, sending him ducking beneath the table to avoid their shots.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Asuya

While the others shout, raising their voices to proclaim their displeasure and hate, Asuya stands. When they turn from their proclamations and bring out their weapons, Asuya makes her own statement and lets her voice be heard- but her voice comes not from her throat, but from the wrath of the storm, the boom of thunder and crack of lightning.
    Sparkling energy coils around her arms, and she sends it writhing among all those who would fight against Meroveus, her captain. While a thunderous cacophony of sound rages about the room from her work, the true danger is from the potent electricity she is throwing about.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll stand from my seat as a move action.

Use a swift action to change from Presence Draconic Aura to Power Draconic aura.

Casting Chain Lightning. I have caster level 20- the main blast of the attack goes against Edmund, and I'll target the anyone who attacks Meroveus with my secondary attacks (up to a maximum of 20 people, but I don't think that'll come into play).
    Damage: (20d6)[70] lightning damage, (halved for secondary targets) and 6 extra sonic damage to all targets from my Thunderbolt ability (stormcaster).
    Reflex save DC 27 for half damage.
    All of those who take any damage from the spell must make a dc 27 fort save or be stunned. (This also comes from the Thunderbolt ability).

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

Faolan

As the commotion begins Faolan rises from his chair and draws his spear as he leaps onto the table and issues a growl one wouldn't expect to come from the throat of an elf.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm working under the assumption that standing up from the chair is a move action and not a swift action, if I'm wrong then I'm gonna bring the hurt to Edmund if possible and a corsair if not.

14. - Top - End - #104

RogueGuy

Renato

ooc - I'm guessing the number of pirates with him are the 4 buccaneers. So if I'm wrong sorry about posting out of order.

edit - apparently I cheated :) I have learned that using flight to negate the required move action to stand from a sitting or prone position is a house rule. So editing to go invis for now.

Renato's mind races with things to scream and shout at the man, but he keeps his mouth shut. A scout knows when to keep quiet.

Renato Stands and then blinks out of existence.

Spoiler
    Show

move action to stand.
    Standard action to activate walk unseen, 24 hours of invis.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by DJDeMiko; 2009-02-02 at 01:53 AM.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Denomer

Time to End this, I think. Cut off the Head of the Snake. With a thought, Denomer vanishes. A moment later, a burst of bright energy flashes from above the Mutinous cripple.

Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action to Activate Ring of Greater Invisibilty, Then a move action to fly over Eddy, followed by a Sneak Attack Blast.

Attack - (1d20+16)[29]
    Damage - (15d6)[54]

Oh, and if it hits, thats 2 points of Strength Damage.

16. - Top - End - #106

Lucivar
    HP 62/62 AC 24 T 14 FF 23 2 Minds

Lucivar supressed a sigh. Was it really too much to ask for a peaceable meeting? Probably. Cursed pirates and their infuriating penchant for pointless squabbles. He briefly considered whose side he should take, but it was only briefly. He had known Meroveus for a few years, and respected him besides.

And of course the man Gerry had been part of a ship that had fallen to a drow attack. Besides being a poor omen by some sailors' standards, it was a rather poor indication of his skill, even if he had been the only one to survive. Likely it was only by come act of cowardice that he had survived in the first place. Lucivar was tempted to correct this personally, but the others seemed to have it all well in hand. He would be better served dealing with the smaller insects.

Lucivar concentrated, visualizing a tree in his mind, standing tall and powerful. In his minds eye a lightning bolt struck down from the sky and clove the tree perfectly down the middle. All this happened in little more than a second.

We should kill them. Strike now, strike fast, and crush them under our boot. Crush them utterly. You know this is the path to power.
    Hissed the sibiliant tones of the Lucivar's second mind.

Yes, yes. All will come in time. First things first though.
    The first mind answered exasperated.

Taking several large steps back, Lucivar threw out his arm, and his hand formed the proper arcane symbols with magically enhanced speed. A brightly glowing dust began to fall from the ceiling, drifting towards several enemy buccaneers.

All will come in time.

Spoiler
    Show

Full Round: N/A
    Move: Move back 15 feet, in best manner to avoid attacks and stay removed from danger as much as possible.
    Standard: Manifest Schism
    Swift: Burn 1 charge of circlet, cast Glitterdust

Spend 4PP to Manifest Schism, then burn 1 charge on my Circlet of Rapid Casting to cast Glitterdust, after moving back. Glitterdust will target the largest possible group of enemy pirates without including any allies; 10 foot radius, DC 19 Will or become Blind.

Spells 'n Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wizard
    Spoiler
    Show

level 1
    1 Grease
    2 Enlarge Person
    3 Nerveskitter

level 2
    2 Glitterdust[*]
    1 Spectral Hand
    1 Rope Trick
    2 Alter Self

level 3
    2 Haste
    1 Phantasmal Strangler
    1 Stinking Cloud
    2 Unluck

level 4
    1 Evard's Black Tentacles
    1 Celerity
    2 Assay Spell Resistance
    1 Greater Invisibility

level 5
    1 Greater Blink
    1 Enervation
    1 Flesh To Ice

level 6
    1 Disintegrate
    1 Freezing Fog
    1 Globe of Invulnerability

level 7
    1 Greater Arcane Sight

Cleric
    Spoiler
    Show

1 Divine Favor
    1 Blessed Aim
    1 Ebon Eyes
    1 Lesser Vigor
    1 Sign
    1 Bless
    1 Cure Light Wounds
    1 Divine Protection
    1 Dark Way
    1 Bear's Endurance
    1 Bull's Strength
    1 Shatter
    1 Cure Moderate Wounds
    1 Magic Circle Against Chaos
    1 Dispel Magic
    1 Summon Monster III
    1 Stone Shape
    1 Cure Serious Wounds
    1 Air Walk
    1 Divine Power
    1 Magic Weapon, Greater
    1 Cure Critical Wounds
    1 Dragon Breath
    1 Consumptive Field
    1 Cure Light Wounds, Mass

Power Points: 114
    Last edited by Whiplord; 2009-02-01 at 10:27 PM.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

Alluvial

Alluvial blinks rapidly as gunfire erupts all around him, pausing to consider his strategy for only a moment before his instincts kick in and he begins to move, all previous traces of limp and stiffness gone in an instant.

I see what you mean about not trying the patience of my audience, Captain, he calls, as Meroveus ducks behind the table, narrowly dodging a volley of shots. I shall certainly keep it in mind in the future, but I should think that you would like my voice to be heard quite clearly just now:

He closes his eyes for a moment as if calming himself and focusing his mind. When they snap open again a moment later, he is staring directly at Gerry with a gaze so focused that it seems to pierce directly into the man's soul...which, in a way it does.

Your facade may have fooled those here for a time, my dear former Captain, but I think you will find the Universe far less vulnerable to such subterfuge; it whispers your Name to me even now:

His next word echoes with power, momentarily cutting through the din of battle and seeming to speed across the room and slam into the pirate.

Iratha'alrish-yeropeen-duorzeileu!

Alluvial nods in satisfaction as Gerry begins to subtly falter, stumbling into effects he might otherwise have avoided as the Universe subtly reworks itself to ensure that harm comes to him.

Confident in his allies' abilities to see that matter through, Alluvial turns his attention to the young Illumian girl, who doesn't yet seem to have registered the sudden turn of events.

By the Gods, I'm getting too old for this...

Moving with a speed and grace that would have seemed impossible a moment before, he bounds across the room toward Annalise; as always, words pour from his mouth as he moves.

Foolish child! Our race is enough of a rarity without suffering unnecessary numerical reductions in such bar-room brawls as this; I suggest you follow your father's example, and take cover!

He slides into cover next to Meroveus, grinning wildly in spite of the circumstances, and shouts another booming word of power, this time directed at Annalise:

Aihcurayf-u'al'itep-duorzepot!

Beginning at the top of her head and rapidly descending, the girl vanishes from view--it is as if an invisible curtain has been lowered in front of her and now obscures her from sight.

Spoiler
    Show

This is reasonably complex and kind of conditional; I'm posting now so I don't have to keep hitting 'refresh' all night waiting for Annalise's action. As written, here's what's happening mechanically:

1. Standard action to recite a reversed Confounding Resistence on Gerry. Taking 10 on this yields a 56, which is enough to affect him unless he's 21st level or above (yikes).

This will affect him differently depending on how he works. If he's got Evasion, he loses it. If he's got Improved Evasion, he now only has Evasion. If he has neither, he takes a -2 on all saves. Regardless, this lasts for 5 rounds.

2. Move action combined with a tumble to get over to cover with Meroveus without provoking any attacks of opportunity. Again, I'll take 10 on the tumble check (if necessary) for a 25. I'll draw my shield (just so everything's nice and legal) as I move.

3. Free action to drop prone behind as much cover as I can get.

Now here's the conditional part.

If Annalise is out of harm's way by this point, I'll cancel that action. If she's still in danger (even moderately), I'll spend 3 Inspiration Points to take a second

4. Standard action to do a reversed Vision Sharpened on her, rendering her Invisible for 5 rounds. Again, taking 10 should be fine on the Truespeak check for this.

Once I see what she's doing, I'll edit the post appropriately (though they're close enough in Initiative order that most of it will probably still be appropriate.

Whew.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Krag

The troll turns on the impromptu firing squad, incensed by the attempt on his captain's life. He embraces the closest turncoat and pulls violently out of the corsair's back.

He towers over the man's shoulder, leaning out to gnaw at the closest buccaneer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full attack, 2 claws against C2/C3, or whomsoever falls within Krag's reach. Bite attack against B1/B2 if they're within ten feet.

Activate Rage. AC is now 26

Claw Attack #1: (1d20+27)[29]
    Damage: (1d6+18)[24]
    Claw Attack #2: (1d20+27)[34]
    Damage: (1d6+18)[22]
    Rend: (2d6+24)[32]

Bite Attack: (1d20+22)[33]
    Damage: (1d6+18)[22]

Edit: Since Bite is a secondary attack that is actually only +10 to damage. My mistake.
    Last edited by GrassyGnoll; 2009-02-01 at 11:47 PM.
    A post about nothing.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Shael

Shael mumbles a curse, leaps down from her chair and quickly scans the room. Such a small shack for so many pirates... Who's with them, who's against them, who's waiting for a winner to pick a side? But aiming pistols and drawn blades tell tales. You meant to surround the Captain, Garry? Let's see how that works for you.

Some people at least, Shael can trust for now. She turns to those near her, on the table, and points south.
    "Leave this lot to me for now, and go get Garry." she says in obvious disgust, and makes a strange gesture accompanied by equally strange words. Sounding not like waves, as words from her mouth sometimes do, but completely otherworldly. She looks focused, determined and ready to do anything. Anything at all.

Immediately, the area south of her is filled by a music so cacophonous it hurts. At least, it hurts those inside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Stand up (if I can also move, I move east near Meroveus, drawing the cutlass)
    Standard action: casting Fugue, 30 ft radius, DC Will 24.
    Details:
    Spoiler
    Show
    area: South sector, including as many hostile pirates as possible without anyone at the table getting caught. I'd guess C-5 or C-6 to B-7 if I knew the scale.
    duration: concentration, from now on handled by the spirit guide (no more detecting spirits)

Those who save take a –2 penalty on attack rolls and skill checks as long as they remain in the affected area.

Those who fail, on their turn:
    • Denomer (sorry Frigs...) takes (3d6)[11] nonlethal damage.
    • All non-hostile pirates are knocked prone.
    • If any of the hostile pirates is nearest to another hostile (and not someone from the visceral fluid ), he attacks nearest creature.
    • The tallest, most visible of them attacks nearest creature regardless. (Presumably one of the pirates who are not getting involved.)
    • The rest are stunned.

I didn't roll Perform checks for each, because the maximum check result needed is 40 and I have a +41 modifier.

"Told you they sold us all..." she says darkly as she watches the scene.

EDIT - OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone can judge the area of the Fugue by sound - and if people start dropping like flies, by sight too. All hear it, but only those inside are affected. Those who have fought with Shael in the past would know that it's best to avoid it. But if you need to enter it, there will be no harm done for you except -2 to attack (negated by the AC penalty of stunned people) if you save, or nonlethal damage if you don't.
    The rest of you (Denomer and Alluvial)... you'll have to make a judgment call. :)

PS - I would honestly target the whole room with that thing, and serve a nice helping of nonlethal damage to the entire party for the advantage of a stunned Garry and his men - but being a group of bloodthirsty pirates and all, it really didn't seem appropriate to piss everyone.
    Last edited by KevLar; 2009-02-02 at 06:25 AM.

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

20. - Top - End - #110

The pirate meeting dissolves into a mêlée of arcane blasts and slashing blades, violence nearly deprived of pattern or purpose.

Kicking back his chair and rising, Renato fades from sight.

A burly pirate who had clearly been waiting for Garry's signal lays into the troll, carving at him with a jagged cutlass in each hand. From the expression on his face, it's clear that he's desperate to put the creature down before it can get its claws on him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The dice gods are angry. Krag takes 66 damage.

Across the room, Annaliese curses eloquently in Dwarvish. It would appear that she lacks the common sense to get out of the way. As luck would have it, Alluvial bounds across the table with unseemly spryness and commands the universe to make her invisible.

The swarthy deckhand in front of Garry reacts quickly, stepping up to the table and slashing at the still-seated Lucivar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    9 damage.

Another one of the pirates near Krag joins the fight to bring him down before he has a chance to get angry, attacking with a blade with one hand and clutching a belaying pin with another.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Another 12 to Krag.

Shael casts a spell that knocks the two usurpers farthest from the fight silly and causes havoc among those trying to keep out of the fight.

Lucivar casts a spell that seems to have no effect other than to shower a portion of the chamber with sparkling filaments.
    Spoiler
    Show
    With DC 19, you can't have expected much.

Faolan engages the mutineer attacking Lucivar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    PM me your actions and I'll retcon them into play.

A lanky sailor with a bad leg sidles up on Krag and slashes expertly at him with a simple belt knife.
    Spoiler
    Show
    27 damage. Wow, you must have done something awful recently.

Now surrounded by enemies, Krag finally gets a word in edge-wise. Ducking under one claw, a pirate catches the other across the top of his head and gets his skull caved in by the force of the blow.

Rolling out from his cover next to the table, Lighthouse cracks his fist across a pirate's jaw, knocking him unconscious but breaking his hand in the process. The snap of bones is clearly audible to those nearby, and Captain commences to curse at the top of his lungs in Aquatic. Multilingual vulgarity seems to run in the family.

Blink and Denomer is gone, reappearing a moment later to take a blast at Garry from nearly on top of him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hit! But not as much damage as you'd think.

A pirate runs at and misses Lucivar. Another closes with Shael and takes a swipe at her with a heavy curved blade, barely missing her skull.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nearly a crit! Only 10 damage.

One of the sailors near Garry turns at his master's cry of alarum, raising his hands and chanting a quick spell. Renato, Annaliese, and Denomer flash back into sight with startled looks on their faces.

Asuya calls forth the power of the storm, blasting two of the pirates into the afterlife but narrowly missing Garry himself and several others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Damaged them, tho.

A sailor with a panicked look on his face shouts a word in the language of dragons and disappears in a flash, seemingly convinced that the battle wouldn't end well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those of you with Spellcraft easily discern that he cast Teleport.

A pirate each attacks Asuya and Shael, missing one but hitting the other.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Asuya taking 27.

And finally, the last of the three professional-looking sailors near Garry raises his hands high and sends a positive swarm of blazing magics at Renato.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcrafty folk recognize Quickened and ordinary Magic Missile spells when they see them. Renato takes 34 damage.

NEW MAP
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Krag

"Runty gitz! 'Arder! 'ARDER!," the troll bellows. Krag lashes at two more corsairs with his gnarled hands.

Spoiler
    Show
    +26 temporary HP from Rage and 5 from Regeneration. Full attack against two different pirates (C3/B3 if they're still there), skip the bite.

Attack #1:(1d20+27)[43]
    Damage: (1d6+18)[21]
    Attack #2:(1d20+27)[43]
    Damage:(1d6+18)[23]
    A post about nothing.

22. - Top - End - #112

RogueGuy

Renato

Renato barely manages to hold his tongue. First his invisibility, then they make him bleed . . . no one makes him bleed his own blood, no one! (ooc - sorry, couldn't help it). Silence is golden, best to draw as little attention to himself as possible. He summons his power and his wounds begin to close.

Renato kicks into the air and flies over the table with his sights on Edmund Garry. He raises his scepter, aiming it at Garry and a bolt of deep purple energy flies out of it straight at Garry.

Spoiler
    Show

Free action - activating fiendish healing, fast healing 2 for 2 minutes

Move action -
    Renato moves over the table with flight. He plans to keep garry, S1 and S2 within 30 feet of him and he has to move over 20 feet.

Standard action
    ranged touch attack using eldritch chain and vitrolic blast

ranged touch on garry
    (1d20+20)[25]
    Sr if necessary (1d20+15)[26]
    If it hits (16d6+1)[59] acid damage

Chain to S1 unless attack on garry missed
    ranged touch to hit
    (1d20+20)[22]
    Sr if necessary (1d20+15)[28]
    29 damage if hit

Chain to S2 unless attack on S1 missed
    ranged touch to hit
    (1d20+20)[23]
    Sr if necessary (1d20+15)[31]
    29 damage if hit

edit - wow bad attack rolls, luckily touch attacks though.

Last edited by DJDeMiko; 2009-02-06 at 02:20 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Asuya

Asuya bites back a curse as the sailor swings at her, barely missing her throat. This wasn't exactly what she was wanting to accomplish... taking a few steps back, she sends a flurry of smaller spells at him before turning and flinging a blast of electricity at the sailor near Garry. Edmund didn't need to get help from minions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Five foot step directly away from C5, who I assume was the one that attacked me.
    I'll then use a charge from my Circlet of Rapid Casting to cast an Electric Loop on C5- I can also have it affect 5 targets as long as they are all adjacent. I think C4 and C6 might count, and possibly a couple of the nearby B's- if anyone moves up to me, just affect the closest six to me, starting with C5.

First, they all make a reflex save, DC 23 for half damage.
    (5d6)[16] electric damage, plus 2 sonic damage.
    If they fail the reflex save, they have to make a will save, DC 23, or be stunned for one round.
    No matter how they do on the other saves, if they take damage, they'll need to make a fortitude save, DC 23, or be stunned.

Next, Asuya will cast Arcane Fusion, shooting a Lesser Orb of Electricity at C5, using her 1st level spell slot.

Touch Attack: (1d20+12)[23]
    Damage: (5d8)[32] electric damage, and 1 sonic damage.
    He'll need to make a DC 22 fort save or be stunned from that.

Lastly, Asuya will use her 4th level spell slot from Arcane Fusion to cast Orb of Electricity at S1.

Touch Attack: (1d20+12)[24]
    Damage: (15d6)[57] electric damage, and 4 sonic damage.
    He'll need to make a DC 25 fort save or be entangled, and then another DC 25 fort save or be stunned.

Oh, right, and from all that crazy casting, I'll regain 7 hit points via Draconic Vigor.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2009-02-06 at 02:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

Alluvial

Alluvial ducks his head down below the table again as a stray blast of arcane energy scorches the air on its way by. He sighs in consternation as Annaliese pops back into view, still apparently not having realized that she's in mortal danger. He shouts at her in a complex, polysyllabic language that sounds remarkably like the words of power he has been using, though they don't echo with the same force.

Spoiler
    Show

Yelling at her in Illumian with the hope that it'll break through her shock.

Get down you foolish child! I have little doubt that Gerry's men would be only too happy to strike at your father through you, and it seems in the interest of all concerned that you deny them the opportunity!

He reaches out one hand, trying to clutch at her dress and force her to take cover. Simultaneously, he twists his neck around, peeking up above the level of the table again to take careful note of Garry's position and current actions. A bit of mental calculation and he hurls another throat-scorching word of power toward the pirate.

Orroni'varnath-yeroapaen-duorzeilesint!

Confident that his words have had the desired effect, he ducks down again, still gesturing wildly at the nearby girl to join him behind cover. The air around Garry begins to thicken at once, first imperceptibly but soon so much that he seems to be moving through a small bubble of viscous piratical fluid of his own, drastically slowing his actions.

Spoiler
    Show

Who knows it all this works, but here it goes.

I'm going to try to use the combination of my move and swift actions to get Annaliese's attention and drag her down to safety. I'm not putting enough effort into it to make a grapple check--more like trying to snap her out of it and/or lead her down in the direction of cover if she's still out of it.

Standard action to throw a reversed Greater Speed of the Zephyr onto Garry. He's Slowed for three rounds, giving him a -1 to AC, attacks, and reflex saves, halving his movement speed, and allowing him only a single move or standard action each round (no full round actions). That stacks with the Confounding Resistance still in effect.

Last edited by Polymath; 2009-02-06 at 07:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Lucivar
    HP 62/62 AC 24 T 14 FF 23 DR 5/- 2 Minds

You call that crushing them? That was pathetic!

Shut up. It's your fault I couldn't do something more effective.

Lucivar holds up his hands and mutters something else.

Spoiler
    Show

Full Round: N/A
    Move: Move back 15 feet, in best manner to avoid attacks and stay removed from danger as much as possible.
    Standard 1: Manifest fully augmented Electric Energy Missile. 14d6 damage to 5 targets. Let's say C2, C3, S1, S2, B1. Provided they're all still alive when my turn comes. If not, any 5 will do, although one's who are closer take priority. Ref 31 for half.
    Standard 2: Disintegrate on Gerry. Fort DC 23 ()
    Standard (Mental): Manifest Inertial Barrier via Schism
    Swift: Use Belt of Battle to gain another standard action

So, I don't really know how Energy Missile works in regards to the multiple targets things. I think there's just one damage roll. If however, you want me to do it for each, I'll just roll that in OOC. I think I'm doing the rest right. But maybe not.

Screwed up rolls, in OOC

ALSO: Assume that Lucivar will use Abrupt Jaunt to move out of the way of future attacks. He has 6 daily uses.

Spells 'n Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wizard
    Spoiler
    Show

level 1
    1 Grease
    2 Enlarge Person
    3 Nerveskitter

level 2
    2 Glitterdust[*]
    1 Spectral Hand
    1 Rope Trick
    2 Alter Self

level 3
    2 Haste
    1 Phantasmal Strangler
    1 Stinking Cloud
    2 Unluck

level 4
    1 Evard's Black Tentacles
    1 Celerity
    2 Assay Spell Resistance
    1 Greater Invisibility

level 5
    1 Greater Blink
    1 Enervation
    1 Flesh To Ice

level 6
    1 Disintegrate[*]
    1 Freezing Fog
    1 Globe of Invulnerability

level 7
    1 Greater Arcane Sight

Cleric
    Spoiler
    Show

1 Divine Favor
    1 Blessed Aim
    1 Ebon Eyes
    1 Lesser Vigor
    1 Sign
    1 Bless
    1 Cure Light Wounds
    1 Divine Protection
    1 Dark Way
    1 Bear's Endurance
    1 Bull's Strength
    1 Shatter
    1 Cure Moderate Wounds
    1 Magic Circle Against Chaos
    1 Dispel Magic
    1 Summon Monster III
    1 Stone Shape
    1 Cure Serious Wounds
    1 Air Walk
    1 Divine Power
    1 Magic Weapon, Greater
    1 Cure Critical Wounds
    1 Dragon Breath
    1 Consumptive Field
    1 Cure Light Wounds, Mass

Power Points: 95
    Last edited by Whiplord; 2009-02-06 at 07:59 PM.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Shael

Facing the blades of two pirates, the nixie seems to lose interest in fighting.
    Shearan, don't let this scum of the sea get near the captain! she exclaims, and valiantly ducks. She slides under the tall - for her height, at least - table, draws her cutlass once out of sight, and ends up near the other corner, looking intensely outside and ready to spring back up again.

She mutters a word, and begins to sing a song Asuya in particular appreciates greatly, one about the strength of the dragons who dwell on the sea. She doesn't need to shout. In the horrible noise of the battle, her voice is subtle but somehow seems to reach directly the minds of all those who fight for her Captain, even though Garry's men fail to notice it.

Meanwhile, somewhere in her mind, an imaginary sea snake focuses on another song, a discordant one, which still fills the other side of the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: move North (under the table), drawing the cutlass. 15 ft movement max, ending up at the corner, no more than a 5 foot step away from the North and West side of the table.
    Tumble at half speed: (1d20+14)[32]

Swift action: Inspirational Boost
    Standard action: Activate Bardic Music with Subsonics, for Inspire Courage with Dragonfire Inspiration. From now on and until further notice, allies receive +5 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects, and +5d6 fire damage with weapons.

Free action: Spirit Guide maintains concentration on the Fugue, stunning all enemies.

OOC: Naturally, the call to Shearan happens out of initiative, before she acts.

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Denomer

The Goblin Floats upward, and takes and Fire springs from his Palms at the Mage who cancelled hs Invisibility.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+16)[18]

Damage - (8d6)[35]

Brimstone Blast Towards the Mage, and a Move Action to Float to the Top of Ceiling.
    Last edited by Copacetic; 2009-02-06 at 09:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

Swearing loudly through lips still slightly deformed by his ordeal at sea, Garry steps from under Denomer and lets him have it with both barrels of his silver flintlock pistols, coming within a hair's breadth of putting two holes through him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    20 damage after taking your DR into account. You're pretty ballsy for a guy with only 30-something HP...

One of the pirates who'd initially fired at the Captain drops his pistol and tugs a rusty sabre from his belt as he sidles up alongside Asuya. Another, unable to get into close combat, moves away from the fighting and hurls his expended pistol at Renato, who is caught by entirely by surprise as the makeshift projectile nearly conks him on the head.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Missed Asuya by a mile. Renato takes 4 damage.

In the southern part of the chamber, the pirate not rendered senseless by Shael's spell charged Meroveus, coming so close to decapitating the Captain that his sword's curved edge passes through one of his smoky sigils.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Threatened, didn't confirm. That would have been an interesting plot twist!

29. - Top - End - #119

Renato moves to the northeast, taking a blast at Garry that blows chunks of clay over that side of the chamber when it impacts against the wall and then arcs around, causing havoc among his sailors.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hit, and arced.

Annaliese runs over to grab the pistol that had just recently bounced whizzed by Renato's skull, crouching down to reload it from her own powder belt. Alluvial's entreaties earn him a look that would curdle milk as she fumbles with the short ramrod.

Garry's actions slow to a crawl as the universe reorders itself upon hearing the language of creation.

In desperation, the pirate who had been attacking Luciver turns on Faolan, attacking him furiously but with little effect.
    Spoiler
    Show

Having just seen his comrade get ripped to shreds, one of Krag's attackers goes nearly berserk himself, slashing great rents in the troll's rapidly healing skin.
    Spoiler
    Show
    39 damage. Unless you have some objection, I'm going to describe damage to Krag as actually making contact. Since he's constantly healing back the damage, it makes more sense to have the attacks actually hurt him in the first place.

Shael begins to sing, but meanwhile her spell stuns both pirates still within its range.

Lucivar releases a coruscating sphere of electrical impulses that fries two of the mutineers on the west side of the room and bounces around among the others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greased B3 and B4, damaged the others to varying degrees.

((And now we're waiting on Faolan's actions.))
    NEW MAP
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

Faolan

Faolan makes a motion towards Garry and disappears only to reappear on top of him and make a pair of quick strikes with his spear before disappearing again and appearing again on the table.

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry, was still confused about the last round, anyway crunchy bits-

teleporting behind Garry, making two attacks-
    (1d20+25)[37]
    (1d20+20)[28]

damage from attack 1-(1d8+12)[16]
    reave damage-(6d6+13)[30]
    skirmish damage-(3d6)[10]
    extra skirmish if he's more than 20 ft. away-(2d6)[5]

damage from attack 2-(1d8+12)[18]
    skirmish-(3d6)[10]
    extra skirmish-(2d6)[11]

if my first attack is a crit then the reave dice aren't doubled, but the +13 is.

if an attack hits he'll also take a point of constitution damage (or two if both attacks hit)

my AC increases by either 3 or 5 depending on how far I move.