New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure in Eberron: The Paradox Wars

As you argue over what is to be done and prepare your protective dweomers, Sinan suddenly notices a sound on the very edge of hearing, one that must have been there all this while. A faint whooshing, almost indistinguishable from the wind...the sound of wings. He silently gestures to you, leading you over to the very edge of the cliff, where the noise is coming from. As you peer over, you see a sight no mortal has laid eyes upon in millenia...

A Black Wyrm, hovering in the air. Its scales glimmer with raw arcane power, and its maw drools out viscuous globs of acid that sizzle in exposure to the air. It looks up from a few dozen feet beneath the cliff with eyes like alien stars, huge and lantern-lit. With one flap of its wings, it rises level to you, and begins to speak. Its language is strange and archaic, too old for any of you to know, but its voice is laced with potent magic that makes its speech impossible not to understand.

"Hmmm. Tiny demons. I suppose I shall have to kill you all now, no?"

Encounter/Negotiation Start!

Initiative
    1. Vaajek
    2. Azraal
    3. Sinan
    4. Mahogany
    5. Drann
    6. Dragon
    7. Dahak

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Big D: The dragon.
    V: Vaajek
    A: Azraal
    M: Mahogany
    Dn: Drann
    S: Sinan
    Dk: Dahak

The brown squares are solid land, the red squares are where it stops. You're on a cliff, so going off the edge means a plunge of a couple of a hundred feet into an acidic sea. Endeavor to avoid this.

Vaajek's Turn
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-02-01 at 08:22 PM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

(OOC: Is it just me or are the OotS forums getting more unstable? Also: am I remembering right, that you can use a Swift action on other people's turns - at the expense of not being able to use a Swift action on your next turn - or am I confusing it with some other type of action?

I'm also hoping my Polyglot ability will let me speak Ancient Dragon or whatever language this is well enough to pass for one)

Azhi Dahak

He looked up at the enormous Black, impressed. Though he found dragons unconscionable, he had to admire their ability to crush mortals like himself.

"A Black Wyrm. So much for 'breath of flame.' How embarrassing," he muttered, referring to the outcome of his augury that he had interpreted that they would be facing a Red.

Well, perhaps we can bluff him.

Without gesture or word, Dahak left his human form behind and grew, assuming the form of a mature (huge-sized) adult red dragon.

"No demons, mighty one," the somewhat smaller dragon-Dahak assured. "Merely an amusing new spell I have developed."

Spoiler
    Show

Swift action to cast the 9th level polymorph spell Dragonshape, and altering it (via Cosmic Librarian's Spell Lore ability) to remove vocal and somatic components, and to Extend the spell to 36 rounds. Which is, what, 3 and a half minutes?
    (1d20+31)[38] trying to hit a DC of 35.
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2009-02-01 at 07:06 PM.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You're thinking of immediate actions, I'm afraid; swift actions have to be used on your turn. Speaking of immediate actions, though, Sinan generally casts Nerveskitter as combat begins, giving him +5 to initiative. Where does that put him on the chart?
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

The kajubaan narrows his eyes at the dragon at the 'demons' comment, his gaze defiant and rebellious, and he tightens the grip on his sword. A drop of ichor falls from the hole in his chest as he looks headlong at the dragon. He decides to stay still, expecting the dragon to be fooled soon enough to let his guard down and strike at his heart.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Delaying my action until after Dahak bluffs. This is effectively destroying my turn, so this better pay off.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Azraal's Turn

OOC for Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show

While Dahak hasn't cast his spell yet, he still tried to Bluff the dragon (the dragon won't react until its own turn). You may want to delay your actions in order to react appropriately.

OOC for Dahak
    Spoiler
    Show

It's immediate actions that you can take during other people's turns; so you won't transform until your own round. However, you still made your claim to the dragon; you just won't transform until later.

OOC for Sinan
    Spoiler
    Show

Ah, in that case, it bumps you up before Mahogany.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

6. - Top - End - #36

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for rolling with it, y'all. Hopefully I didn't just give 'Blacky' a free turn against us.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

OOC for Dahak
    Spoiler
    Show

No worries, odds are she'll delay her turn until after yours to see if your claim is true/see if your substantially boosted Buff check succeeds.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

(OOC: Azraal readies an action until the dragon makes a hostile act)

Azraal stands tall and unafraid, but he waits for his companions, or the dragon, to make the first mistake, not himself.
    Spoiler
    Show

Me: When I started the adventure, my character was handed a bag full of 100 MW daggers.
    Will: Wow, that's, 30,000gp. That's more than you can get with a wish spell
    Me: Yeah, it was more than I could ever wish for.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

OOC for Sinan and Drann
    Spoiler
    Show

Post if you're planning to take an action before Dahak's turn, or just let me know if you'll be delaying. If I don't hear anything from you guys by tomorrow night, I'll just assume you both delayed, to hurry things up.

10. - Top - End - #40

OOC: Sure, I'll delay.
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

All fall silent as Dahak makes his audacious bluff, their mouths agape with surprise. Hands loosen on the hilts of swords, arcane words are quashed on tongues, as all wait to see what will come of his duplicity. The dragon regards him just as silently, waiting to see proof of his claims–but the vitriolic spew that seeps from between its fangs serves as stark reminder to what should await if Dahak's ploy fails.

With all eyes, mortal and draconic, upon him, Dahak casts his spell. He needs neither incantation nor hand-sign, shaping the arcane power with his formidable mind alone. An inner flame seems to well up within him, a crimson light that shines like a lesser sun. Dahak begins to swell, his form shifting and distending. With a surge of magical effort, he sloughs off his mortal skin like a serpent wriggling out of its old scales, a trick he hopes will fool the dragon. In a few moments the crimson nova fades, revealing Dahak in the shape of a red dragon, but a few yards shorter than the mighty black she-wyrm.

The black dragon regards Dahak circumspectly, waiting for him to finish his metamorphosis. She pulls her fangs back in what might almost be called a smile and speaks, her voice resounding like a foamy breaker beating against a ship's hull and three-tiered oars.

"Oh, you silly little demon. You would not be the first of your hell-bred brood to learn our tongue, or to mock up some half-wrought arcanum to take on a dragon's shape. I am not one of your fellow fiends, to be fooled by enchantment and illusions–I am Aruru, the eldest wyrm of the Seventh Clutch, whose aura is terror, whose breath is death! Did you think you could deceive a dragon, who can hear every flutter of your heart, the slightest mis-beat as the falsehood crosses the threshold of your mind? Now, let the truth be revealed!"

With that she barks a word of arcane power, so ancient that not even Dahak with his tomes of lore has ever read it, and weaves a sigil of unbreakable power in the air with her foreclaw. Completing her spell, she looses a wave of cerulean magic that washes over Dahak, enfolding him. He can feel it corroding the magic he has cast, eating away at the shape he has assumed. But, desperate as his magic was, Dahak wove well his transfigured shape, the dweomer withstanding the dragon's nonchalant dispelling. The cerulean aura about him flickers, and then fades away entirely.

There is a moment of nine months-pregnant silence, a pause so ponderous that the awkwardness is all but tangible. With a look of what might be called shame, the she-wyrm drops her head ever so slightly, casting eyes obliquely at Dahak.

"...oh...it would seem I have made the merest hatchling of myself, brother. Forgive one whose only crime was a zeal too fierce, a heart too bold. Pray, tell me of yourself–your name and brood, your shared blood? It has been a decade since a dragon of the Red Flights has come to our demesne; it would be the light of Siberys itself to my honor if I could guide you inland to our haven–and of course, your slaves as well."

OOC for everyone
    Spoiler
    Show

Looks like combat's been averted, for now at least. I'm gonna let you guys talk the rest of this out, and see where it goes from there (of course, if someone wants to just drop her in a surprise round, I'm not stopping you. Krimm).
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-02-04 at 07:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Azhi Dahak

Dahak waved a foreclaw generously, forgiving the Wyrm her reaction. "Though you were hasty, my Black sister, I cannot fault your zeal. Truly, we must ever be vigilant against the demons, and I would expect no less of my brethren."

"Know, then, that I am Kalkalenth, fifth eldest of the brood of Xalros, of the Red Flight," he said proudly, naming a lesser-known red dragon that almost certainly hadn't been born yet. "And your offer of haven is most gracious."

"It was a good likeness, was it not?" he referred to his supposed 'spell' to take the form of a demon. "If I can further refine the spell, I could think of any number of uses for it."

He gave a toothy, knowing grin. Not that he knew what he was implying, but he was rather hoping she would draw her own conclusions.

Yet though he spoke well, his mind was racing wildly. Had they come to a time when the dragons and demons still battled for supremacy of the world?

He had been lucky that his own magic had withstood hers; it might not a second time. And even so, this form would not last long; not even close to long enough to enter Aruru's haven and exit again safely, nevermind that it would, quite literally, be entering the dragon's lair.

On top of that, elder dragons were notoriously strong-willed and resistant to magic that trammeled the will. He wouldn't really care to pit his Enthralling Voice against her, though if he couldn't think of something else soon, he'd have to risk it.

He glanced down at his new companions, hoping his eyes were properly conveying 'Help!'

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately, I didn't think that far ahead: when I suddenly revert back to 'demon' form, she might not buy whatever we're selling.

But anyhow... do we want to follow the nice Black dragon lady, or what? I'm open to suggestions.
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2009-02-04 at 10:05 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

The demon knows when he has the advantage and not, and he knows when to prod an enemy when they're not thinking of battle... Vaajek stands there and begins focusing on natural magic power, focused on the massive black dragon.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using detect thoughts SLA and concentrating on it.
    Good fking luck with that, Vaajek.
    CL check: (1d20+18)[28]

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44

Azraal stands watching the encounter, trying not to ruin their ruse.
    Spoiler
    Show

Me: When I started the adventure, my character was handed a bag full of 100 MW daggers.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Sinan

"Er, I am afraid you have misappraised the situation slightly, madam," comes Sinan's voice. The rest of him is noticeably not visible any longer, and attempting to pinpoint him by sound is difficult, since his words bypass the ear in favor of speaking directly to the mind. Conveniently, this also bypasses the language barrier for all involved.

"We are not, in fact, slaves, nor are we demons, although given your clear lack of prior experience with our kind, and the fact that we physically resemble some types of demon more than we do dragons, your misunderstanding is quite understandable. With your permission, shall I explain further?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Employing telepathy; Diplomacy is at +27.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2009-02-05 at 05:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

"Greetings, Kalkalenth. Indeed, were I more skilled a sorcerer, I would surely delight to assist you; but alas, my mastery of magic is so sadly limited, almost pathetic."

Having seen the dragon casting spells beyond the reach of most modern mages, Dahak has to wonder whether this is but a show of false modesty–or whether Aruru's magic truly is weak, compared to that of other dragons.

"And yet, we count many sorcerers more puissant than this inept thaumaturge among our flight, and of them there is a Silver brother, most skilled among all of us at transmutation's art. He would be most interested to hear of your spell, and could surely devise some cunning improvements to it. No dragon of my memory has ever cast a dweomer to take on the shapes of demons; it would be a fresh new hunt for him."

At Sinan's intrusion, however, Aruru takes pause. She sways her head from side to side, searching for the sound's source. Finally, she replies back. "What is this? Are you all but dragons transformed? This is a sight stranger than any I have ever met!"

As Aruru rambles, you all hear a voice at the back of your minds, barely distinguishable from your own thoughts. Their is no audible quality to it, by which its owner might be discerned–but the conviviality and warmth of the thoughts makes it most certainly Mahogany's.

<Oh, keep her talking! She's dressed herself up with more spells than a wizard's drawers, but they're burning off fast! Keep her distracted, talking for as long as we can. I have a few tricks I might be able to lay without her taking notice, maybe the rest of you could do the same.>
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-02-05 at 05:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Sinan

"Not quite dragons, madam; I will endeavor to explain. You are, of course, aware that the race of dragons is born of the Dragon Above, just as the fiends you refer to are born of the one deep beneath the earth? We," the scholar explains blithely, "are creatures of the Dragon Between."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

"Eberron's brood? Then...then you are neither dragon nor demon? What other things are there, then, besides a dragon's herd of well-bred slaves?" One might almost imagine the arrogant wyrm trying to conceive of anything that might be more than an enemy or slave to the dragons.

19. - Top - End - #49

Azhi Dahak

Well did Dahak know the selfishness of dragons in their own time, yet even he was almost impressed by Aruru's unthinking arrogance. Strangely, it somehow managed to humanize the Black monster in his mind.

"I can hardly fathom it myself," Dahak offered in an effort to help Sinan's case. "Yet they are such ones, and they care for demons nearly as little as those of our kind.

They are reasonable beings, and they would make powerful ... allies... indeed. Each one is very nearly the equal of myself, despite being of such small and puny appearance."

Spoiler
    Show
    'She's dressed herself up with more spells than a wizard's drawers'? That's quite an evocative image Mahogany draws, there.

Oh, also, if we need to do some rolling, Dahak bluffs with a +27 modifier.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Vaajek scowls and turns his head to the side, his concentration no longer withstanding. He mutters something instinctively from abyssal. "Maalk Varaa..."

Abyssal translation
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Six be damned..."
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-02-06 at 01:25 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Aruru perks up at Vaajek's muttered oath, her draconic hearing letting her catch the whisper nearly before it escapes the demon's mouth. She levels with him, her will-o'-wisps of eyes locking his in an unshaking glare...and yet, for all the intensity of her gaze, her eyes seem almost to stare past Vaajek, not able to fix on the demon. With a wary, calculated suspicion, the suspicion of one who can barely conceive of being deceived, she asks the fiend, "You. Are you sure you're not a demon?"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Vaajek looks back up at the dragon all of a sudden with mouth now closed. A silence seems to penetrate the area with a bitter aura. The tension is almost physically tangible. He turns on his heel to face the beast with all his courage... the grip on his sword tightens.

"Quite."

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh. All right then." Aruru says, her gaze suddenly vacant. Despite the blatant lie in Vaajek's voice (and the gaping hole in his chest), the she-wyrm seems perfectly willing to accept him as nothing more than mortal. Indeed, all of you realize that thinking of your companion as anything besides a mere human is quite difficult, bringing on a slight queasiness. Only when you focus on the warrior do you have any recall of his fiendish feats of strength and brutality; once your mind wanders, all is forgotten.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

OOC for Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show

Dahak's spell is going to end, at a minimum, by tonight. If anyone wants to try anything before the gig is up, now'd be the time.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Readying an action to use greater teleport to jump on her back when things get sticky.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-02-08 at 04:18 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

I suppose I'll ready an action to manifest a power.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

Azhi Dahak

Dahak turned a thoughtful eye on Vaajek. It was strange, that a creature such as Vaajek somehow seemed so... human in passing. He wondered if it was the being's doing, or something else entirely.

Even thinking of it bothered him, so he stopped. He cleared his head of such musings.

He'd thought that he could make an ally of the wyrm, but perhaps that was too much to hope for from a race that saw anything not-dragon to be enemies or slaves. He simply couldn't think of anything to say that would sway her to their side, and she was almost certainly going to realize she had been tricked very soon now.

Dahak made one last attempt at avoiding the acidic death he saw in his near future. "I am sorry, Aruru of the Seventh Clutch," and he was, for more than simply refusing her offer. He could be a soft touch, at times. "but it seems I will have to decline your most gracious offer. I feel we would only add more strife, taking these little ones to a haven so filled with hatred for and fear of demons. They are, perhaps, just too different from us."

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like all I succeeded in doing was dragging things out for another 3 days >.>

I was planning to use Enthralling Voice, because I thought it worked like Charm Monster. It doesn't - and it won't work on something as strong as a wyrm, in any case. Anything below 18 HD, maybe. Wyrm, not even close.

So I'm just gonna spend my standard action to switch over to Energy Immunity: Acid.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Aruru begins to reply, but before her sonorous words can rise to your ears, Dahak's transmutation falls to shambles. Not even a mage as skilled as he can hide the obvious tells of a spell ending, as draconic scales soften into flesh, behemoth bulk folds in on itself to a more mortal size, and fragments of incorporeal magic slough off of the decomposing spell. Aruru's shining eyes widen in surprise, as she bellows a guttural roar, the howl of a dragon betrayed, and ready to attack.

But while Dahak's ruse has failed, it bought some advantage. The dweomers that glittered on Aruru's scales have faded and dwindled, and the mage's companions had ample time to ready themselves for the fight. Before Aruru can do anything, Vaajek vanishes, slipping into the Astral. With a painful whine of dimensions parting, he reappears atop the dragon's back, his sword held in hand. He cannot get a good footing atop the heaving beast's back, however, and falls prone, gripping at her scales with his demonic claws. At the same time, Azraal discharges a shining beacon of psychic power. As the she-wyrm roars her fury, the rest of you move into attack.

Initiative
    1. Vaajek
    2. Azraal
    3. Sinan
    4. Mahogany
    5. Drann
    6. Dragon
    7. Dahak

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC for Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show

Since everyone had delayed until after Dahak, I'll just start the initiative order over again at Vaajek.

OOC for Azraal
    Spoiler
    Show

Just let me know what power you used your readied action to manifest any time.

Vaajek's Turn

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Vaajek seems to stand tall all of a sudden, but not because of keen balance, but because of his innate magical ability to fly. He takes a deep breath and roars out, making sure the dragon can hear, "Graal Ur'Ossok, Saajin'ayus!!" Suddenly the steel of his sword blackens, as does his flesh and his eyes gleam red. Ash spreads from his body in a swirling torrent and it becomes far simpler to note that he's a demon...

Suddenly he holds his blade high and roars even louder than when he called out to his sword. He thrusts down at the dragon with all his fury, aiming for the base of the she-dragon's neck. "Yaagra Vo Kallukk Kaa!! Demekkaa!!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Going into fiendish release, using my Epic Tactics (Feral Death Blow).
    Feral Death Blow Jump check: (1d20+39)[45]
    Attack: (1d20+39)[48]
    Damage: (1d10+18)[25] also 1 negative level(and my weapon's unholy if that matters)
    FDB Dmg: (20d6)[76]

Abyssal translation
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Spread the Lament of Heaven, Blind Witch!!"
    "Choke on your glory!! Dragon!!"
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-02-09 at 09:49 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Vaajek's blade strikes home, the edge piercing between two adamant-black scales. Though he can feel a pulse of necromantic taint coursing through the dragon's blood, chilling it in her veins, the demon's face seems wrought with disappointment–he had certainly not expected the dragon to be still alive after his dramatic blow.

Initiative
    1. Vaajek
    2. Azraal
    3. Sinan
    4. Mahogany
    5. Drann
    6. Dragon
    7. Dahak

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Azraal's Turn