New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121

Default Re: The Dying Earth [IC]

"The other creatures that I saw under the river looked like...lobster-men. I'm not sure what their purpose is; they have weak looking segmented legs but no other apparent weapons."

"I'm not sure if the pale men and lobster men are intelligent, but if they aren't then something intelligent is directing them."

"The object I need from their lair is a seed. A very special seed from a very special tree."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Laertius

Leaning forward, the black-eyed devil brings the the tips of his fingers together and squints his eyes slightly.

Could you be more specific about this seed? What it looks like, what its function is?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    "The other creatures that I saw under the river looked like...lobster-men. I'm not sure what their purpose is; they have weak looking segmented legs but no other apparent weapons."

"I'm not sure if the pale men and lobster men are intelligent, but if they aren't then something intelligent is directing them."

"The object I need from their lair is a seed. A very special seed from a very special tree."
    Dolgan Glanbek, Priest of Moradin

"A seed?" Dolgan suddenly looks very interested - desert dwelling dwarves set great store on what few plants they could grow "I can see why you would need that back. I, for one, am willing to help you, but I must admit that my companions and I are already on a task of sorts, and Moradin does not smile upon those that abandon their duties. If my companions are unwilling to participate, I will reluctantly follow their decision. I do ask that, if we are to recover your seed, you expand on the details, for Iđunn, Goddess of Spring, desires for all dwarves to learn as much as we can about life beyond the Oasis, and this special tree sounds like it fits Her instructions"
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Variel

"I, for one, will help recover this seed. The needs of Faerye are the needs of Rhiannon." And besides he adds, silently, I want a chance to see this intelligent force firsthand. Perhaps the Soul itself is conscious!

Curiosity, a sort of hungry, rapacious desire for knowledge, burns brightly behind his eyes as he reaches into his Endless Provisions basket and takes a bite out of a piece of bread, using it to soak up the last of Dolgan's soup from his bowl.

Conscious forces...can be manipulated. Though I cannot help but wonder whether, if it has a mind, the Soul has noticed my intrusion.
    "You seem a decent fellow. I'd hate to kill you."
    "You seem a decent fellow. I'd hate to die."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

"Recovering the seeds of magical, or otherwise special, plants is a duty many Rangers hold more highly than I. However, I do not object to taking a short time from our other engagement to handle these creatures.

Still, it may be difficult for us to manage. None of us can breathe beneath the surface of the river, and I know of no way to redirect its flow away from the beasts' lair. Unless you have access to the magics that would allow us to do these things, or know of a way to get into the burrow from on dry land, we will not be able to aid you."

6. - Top - End - #126

"The seed is from a namida tree; very tall, very beautiful when full grown." Laertius, Dolgan and Variel recognize namida pollen as a component in certain magical oils. Namida seeds are very large, often the size of a human head. "I was delivering this seed to Shimal as a gift shortly before its fall. Thanks to the people's incessant fighting though, it never got planted."

"If you are willing to help, I have a trick that will allow us all to breath water for an hour. Gilly weed is its common name. If we retrieve my seed, I can tell you the location of certain hidden valuables in Methana."
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; 2009-02-06 at 09:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

Laertius

Waving his hand absently, Laertius dismisses the idea of treasure.

I've never done anything for valuables, but I think I should like to see these lobster men up-close, and although I've used namida pollen, I've never seen the seeds. Curiosity has never yet lead me astray. I shall trust in it now.

His smile would be reassuring if his features weren't so sinister.

We shall simply have to prove ourselves more dangerous than your enemies.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Variel

The eladrin turns to Laertius, an odd look of admiration dawning in his face.

"Curiosity is the greatest of causes, Laertius. It is good to find myself among colleagues in the war on ignorance." He smiles, subtly, and nods to the tiefling with an air of respect. Then he turns back to Ms. Took, a quizzical expression taking over.

"You were bringing the seed as a gift to Shimal? How long have you been out here, Ms. Took?" Faerye dwellers were long-lived to be sure, but such dedication in the face of the coming Chaos--years of guardianship over a gift whose recipient had faded from the face of the earth--it was mind-boggling. Not that it in any way swayed his determination to raid the lair and meet the intelligence of Chaos in person. It was just exceptional, in his mind.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

'Dalbert' chuckles at his companions, saying "It seems to me that many scholars get so wrapped up in their research that they forget people need to eat. We'll kill the creatures, and we'll take the reward you offer."

Gesturing to the sprite to draw for the group, the halfling continues "What do you know about the creatures' lair? Numbers present, layout, where guardians tend to be stationed, any side entrances, or anything else that might help us plan our assault? We'll probably want to attack from downstream, since they seemed to be watching upstream before they attacked us and won't be able to catch our scent in the water, so try to focus your information on that side."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm glad, I'm glad" says Dolgan, "It seems that my companions are all willing to take participate." He quickly gathers the dishes, clens them with some water and packs them back. He also pulls the boats into land further, just as a precaution, straps his back-pack securely. All in all, he seems ready to leave.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

11. - Top - End - #131

"I've been here..." Ms. Took's wings finally stop fluttering momentarily as she concentrates; "...twenty-two years."

"I know nothing of the lair's particulars, other than the location of its entrance."

12. - Top - End - #132

Laertius

The pronouncement hangs in the air for a moment before Laertius stands up and brushes the crumbs off his armor.

Good enough for me, I think. This business won't resolve itself; let's get to it.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Variel

"Let us depart for the lair soon, then." Variel rises, and walks over to Ms. Took, making a gesture to take her aside and talk privately.

"Ms. Took...I would ask a favor of you, as a scholar. You must have been here when the creatures of Chaos first appeared and overran Shimal. Such an eyewitness account would be incredibly valuable to historians and arcanists both. Assuming we succeed, and you are able to return to Faerye, would you seek out the Order of Soulsages in Rhiannon, and tell them your story?"

Regardless of her answer, he begins assembling his gear for the trek underwater.

14. - Top - End - #134

"I'd be glad to pay the Soulsages a visit as soon as I get back to Rhiannon." Ms. Took replies to Variel's request.

She then leads you downstream about a mile and then directs you to shore. Stowing the canoes, she leads you in a wide path into the forest and then back to the river. Looking upstream, she explains that there are pale hands sticking up out of the water just at the edge of vision. Reed is able to make out what he would otherwise dismiss as driftwood, if he didn't know better. "Those pale men stand almost atop the entrance to their lair. How shall we proceed, heroes?"

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    "Those pale men stand almost atop the entrance to their lair. How shall we proceed, heroes?"

"Heroes?" Dolgan scoffs, "After 60 years of war, all I can say is that I am more a butcher than a hero. Still, not the time or the place. Shall we charge them? Try to lure them outside the water? Charge right in? I cannot say I am familiar with underwater fighting."

16. - Top - End - #136

Laertius

Heroism is in the eye of the beholder. So long as we're helping the lady, I for one will accept the title without comment.

The red of Laertius' skin seems to be deepening, as though the prospect of a fight is bringing out his darker heritage.

I've never been one for subtlety. Draw as many of them as we can onto dry land, where we have the advantage, then go in after the seed and clear out the rest.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Variel

"Give us the gilly weed, just in case we end up in the water sooner than expected." Variel looks grimly out over the river, ignoring the talk about heroism. He hardly cared what he'd been called--such namers usually never bothered to ask about silly things like motives.

"I agree with Laertius. Draw them out on land. I imagine that many of our abilities will simply not work underwater. Fire blasts may not ignite, lightning bolts may simply diffuse. Better to use those abilities out here on the enemies we can see. Reed, up for another rock-throwing?"

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

"Normally I'd prefer something with more... finess... but since they already know we're around and are watching the shores, I agree, we should draw them to dry land and take out as many as we should."

To Variel's use of his real name, the halfling shoots the eladrin a dirty look, but addresses his question regardless. "A rock isn't quite what I'd use in this situation; I only used one last time because I wasn't sure if they were actually going to be hostile and didn't want to use a real weapon. This dagger," he indicates the black blade at his left side, "strikes true more than any stone. Maybe I can even manage to put one of their eyes out and give us more of an advantage right off."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Variel

Variel had, quite frankly, utterly forgotten about "Dalbert." Absentminded professor with a reality-shattering blade, that was the eladrin for you. On the other hand, he didn't put any special emphasis on the halfling's real name, so that it sounded natural, as if it were a nickname...or something. He actually manages to look momentarily puzzled at the dirty look, before he continues.

"If we're agreed that an attack is better than a simple distraction, there is a lightning spell I've been saving up. Shall we strike, then, while their hands are still aimed upstream?"

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crucival View Post
    Variel
    "If we're agreed that an attack is better than a simple distraction, there is a lightning spell I've been saving up. Shall we strike, then, while their hands are still aimed upstream?"

"We might as well. I am certainly ready to call forth Moradin's power once again." Dolgan says with a sigh. Once again, he pulls out his axe and his manner changes sharply as he gets ready for battle. "Lets see if taunting them brings them out of their lair." Then, almost as an afterthought, he says to his companions, "This time, try not to get too far from me. I cannot heal your wounds if you are running all over the place. Stay behind me and Variel, make them have to go through us to get to you."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Reed nods and adresses the groups winged guide. "We have a plan, then. Will you be joining us in battle? If you need weapons, I have a few extra blades stashed away, and an extra body is always beneficial."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming for the purposes of the next battle that we've taken a short rest. Reed is also going to have spent a healing surge to recover his lost hit points.

Also, I feel dumb now because I probably should've used my Second Chance power when the Pale Man hit me, as it might've saved me that surge

22. - Top - End - #142

Laertius

I dare say my spells strike from greater range than your dagger, but as you will.

Poking his staff into the ground for a moment, Laertius sets his pack carefully aside and uses one nail to slice a long gash in the palm of his left hand. The edges of the cut pull back to display a hint of red muscle underneath, but no blood drips out. His other hand closes on the staff and tugs it free.

Ready.

23. - Top - End - #143

"I don't need a weapon. I'll just...shout encouragement from a safe distance." Ms. Took says as she dispenses a ball of rubbery weed to each of you, and then swallows a smaller one herself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So what power is Reed opening with?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Nodding and taking the herbs, Reed indicates that the rest of the group should remain in sight before vanishing into the undergrowth. Moving where he is not visible to the monsters in the water, he waits a moment, lines up the nearest hand as best he can, and lets his blade fly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I don't want to burn any encounter or dailies just yet, so Sly Flourish for maximal damage

Stealth - (1d20+20)[13](33)
    Attack vs. AC - (1d20+23)[5](28)
    Damage if hit - (1d4+13)[1](14)+Sneak Attack - (3d8)[8][7][8](23)

Whether or not the stealth roll works doesn't really matter, as I still have combat advantage from them not having acted yet.

Once the attack resolves, I'll move back towards the rest of the group, getting behind the defenders if possible.

Edit: Crap! That's a bad attack roll. Fortunately, it might hit anyway due to my redonculous attack bonus, but that's still bad. Makes me glad I used an at-will
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2009-02-09 at 11:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Variel

Assuming that his lightning spells, or at least the ones requiring transmission between targets, will not work properly underwater, Variel charges a blast of lightning up through his blade, aims it at the Pale Men, and prepares to fire.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readied action: Lingering Lightning Daily Power, as soon as 3 Pale Men come within 5 squares of him.
    Int vs Reflex, one per target:
    (1d20+15)[19](34) for (1d8+9)[6](15) damage
    (1d20+15)[13](28) for (1d8+9)[1](10) damage
    (1d20+15)[19](34) for (1d8+9)[3](12) damage

If hit, full damage and 5 ongoing lightning damage, save ends.
    If miss, half damage, no ongoing damage.

26. - Top - End - #146

Laertius

Holding out his cut hand, Laertius slowly closes it around an amorphous surge of blood that grows outwards and extends into the rough, liquid shape of a javelin. Drawing back his arm, he prepares to hurl it like a Jovian thunderbolt at the first enemy to breach the surface.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readying Magic Missile
    Attack: (1d20+18)[37]
    Hit: (2d4+11)[17] damage

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Dolgan's fist starts to glow with a bright light, while he places himself squarely on the ground, ready to face whatever they entice out of the water.

Spoiler
    Show
    HP 86/86 Healing Surge 21 (0 used /9)
    AC 29 Fort 25 Reflex 24 Will 27

Ready Action: Sacred Flame on the first clear target that comes out of the water. Wis vs. Reflex, radiant damage
    To Hit - (1d20+15)[26]
    Damage - (1d6+8)[9]
    If I hit, Laertius gets 5 temporary HP

28. - Top - End - #148

Map

Reed throws his dagger from hiding, which splashes into the water without hitting anything solid. (Hit, barely!) The pale hands immediately aim towards the “heroes”, but no demons come bursting out of the water. Several shapes move toward the shore, and then an unlikely attack! Three chitined arms, distended to impossible length, shoot out of the water. Two miss wildly, but one bypasses Variel’s defenses and scratches his arm. Variel immediately feels light headed (lose 15 HP, Variel is dazed and -2 to attack rolls; save at the end of your turn).

Roll initiative!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aquatic combat is pretty mild in 4e; fire powers get a -2 to attack, as do all weapon attacks except for crossbows and spears. If you ever find yourselves fighting in warm water, I’ll switch the fire penalty to a cold penalty. If and when you get in the river, you will have to spend 4 hexes of movement each turn to compensate for its flow.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Variel
    Initiative: (1d20+9)[12](21)

Spoiler
    Show
    85/100 hp, AC 30, Fort 23 Ref 25 Will 23

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Although he did not expect the enemy to attack while remaining submerged, Reed is still quick enough to try slashing at the limbs before they recede.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since it doesn't really matter as far as I'm concerned whether they're in melee or at range from me, I'm just going to flavor attacking the limbs as they come at us instead of attacking the things below the water directly. Just treat it as ranged attacks against the bodies if you will.

Using Sly Flourish against whichever creature hit Variel last turn.
    Initiative - (1d20+16)[9](25)
    Attack vs. AC - (1d20+20)[9](29)
    Damage if hit - (1d4+13)[3](16)

No combat advantage this turn