New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Dying Earth [IC]

Laertius

Aware that he's not really suited for the role of 'good cop', Laertius settles for bluntness.

Whose illusion is that, and what is it hiding?

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crucival View Post
    Variel

"Ms. Took, I must say, that's one of the better weaves of illusion I've seen in a long time. What're you really retrieving?" He says it as if it's the most simple thing in the world, one craftsman in magic talking to another. And yet his sword is still drawn and he is standing relaxed but imposing between her and the exit.
    Dolgan Glanbek, Priest of Moradin

Dolgan lifts his head from the pile of coins he has been carefully counting and storing away, and with a puzzled look on his face asks Variel, "Illusion? What illusion?" then, detecting the tense atmosfear, he quickly gets up and unslings his axe once more, although he clearly doesn't know who needs defending at this point.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #243

Ms. Took doesn't seem to notice anyone speaking to her as she runs a hand over the seed. A second aura of magical flairs up around it as it shrinks to the size of your [not Reed's] palm.

"I wasn't entirely thruthful with you good folk. This is a seed, so to speak, and I am responsible for it. I really want to trust you four, but I've learned caution in who I trust, the hard way..." Quick as a wink, she plops the seed into her sack. An aura of magic briefly flares around her, and then Ms. Took is not there.

If you think you can stop her from leaving, you can roll initiative.
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; 2009-03-06 at 03:54 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Surprised by her sudden disappearance, Dolgan starts moving to block the exit.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative - (1d20+4)[22]

Did we get enough of a rest to refresh our encounter powers?

Also, I'm about to be AFK for about 24 hours. Thankfully I tend to be the last one to move anyway.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Variel

Variel watches as she miniaturizes the seed, then narrows his eyes. blocking the exit as before. This time, however, he tries not to seem hostile. He wants the truth, not violent confrontation.

"Trust issues. Those tend to come up, when one deals with Chaos." Self-referential? Perhaps. The way she spoke about the seed, however, suggested that she was less interested in causing mass destruction than in serving her own motives with secrecy. If she wanted to do them harm, why would she bother to say she wanted to trust them? Assuming she's invisible, rather than incredibly good at teleporting, he speaks. "Tell me that this seed won't be used to harm or destroy, and I'll step aside. I hardly care about anything else."

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+10)[15](25)
    "You seem a decent fellow. I'd hate to kill you."
    "You seem a decent fellow. I'd hate to die."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Reed swears softly, pushing away from the treasure pile without picking anything up and swimming as quickly as he can towards the entrance. Since even invisibile creatures leave some trace of their presence, Reed pays as much attention as he can to the water around where Took vanished while still maintaining his pace.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not 100% certain what I'll do if I catch her, but I guess I could attempt a grapple. I could slow her down a lot with Walking Wounded, but that's a daily and I'm leery about using it for something like this.

In any case, double run towards the entrance of the caves and minor action to make a Perception check.

Initiative - (1d20+17)[12](29)
    Athletics1 - (1d20+10)[5](15)
    Athletics2 - (1d20+10)[9](19)
    Perception - (1d20+11)[9](20)

Since I'm running and double moving, I'm moving 16 total. If we're halving because of swimming now, that's 8. Either way, I probably outun our fey friend.

7. - Top - End - #247

As Reed swims toward the chamber's exit, he hears a faint buzz headed that way too. He shouts to Variel, who reaches out with both hands, but he can't hear what Reed hears and catches nothing more than a bit of wall muck. In another moment, everyone is gathered at the chamber's exit. Suddenly Ms. Took appears out of thin water and speeds away, with wings buzzing fast so that everyone can hear them now.

The chase is on! If you want, you each have one round to incapacitate Ms. Took in initiative order before she reaches the surface.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reed
    Variel
    Dolgan
    Ms. Took

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Reed is quickest to go after the fairie, moving as quickly as he possibly can to disable one of her wings and grab her out of the water if he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure if I can use another action point now, since I used one during the preceding battle and it may not have been 5 minutes. However, I can use From the Shadows, since I didn't use it during the previous battle.

Regardless, assuming she is actually taking the run action for the speed boost, I have CA against her, which should improve my to-hit chances, and if not I'll use Ferret Out Frailty to get CA anyway.

So, From the Shadows, moving 7 before the attack from that (not sure if that move is halved from water), then making the attack, then moving another 7 from From the Shadows if my attack hits.

Attack vs. AC - (1d20+24)[7](31)
    Damage if hit - (1d4+11)[4](15)+Sneak Attack - (3d8)[1][4][4](9)
    If she gets actually taken down, I'll just knock her out.

Then, my actions depend on whether or not I can use another action point and how far away from me she is now.

If she's within my move distance (7), I'll move to be adjacent to her.
    If I can spend an action point and she's within my double-move distance (14), I'll double-move and attempt to grab her.
    If I can spend an action point and she's within my double-run distance (18), but not within my double-move distance, I'll double-run and attempt to grab her.

Regardless, attack roll for grab if I can spend an action point:
    Attack vs. Reflex - (1d20+15)[8](23); -5 if I had to run at all.
    If hit, she's immobilized.

...I realize that these series of actions are quite complicated. If you don't understand, please tell me and I'll try to clarify.

Also, athletics checks:
    (1d20+10)[9](19)
    (1d20+10)[8](18)
    (1d20+10)[1](11)
    (1d20+10)[3](13)

9. - Top - End - #249

Laertius

Without making any motion to chase the sprite, Laertius waves the others off.

Don't attack her! She took what was hers!

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamantis View Post
    Laertius

Without making any motion to chase the sprite, Laertius waves the others off.

Don't attack her! She took what was hers!
    "Maybe so, maybe so, but she also lied to us. How can we trust her about her right of property?" says Dolgan. His voice has, once more, taken a dangerous edge. "I am always a willing listener, but I do not respond well to surprises."

He watches as Reed gives chase and he cannot but whistle softly. "Moradin, that halfling can run!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Not my turn. Abusing talking as a free action rules

11. - Top - End - #251

Reed's attack misses Ms. Took only because she flies/swims through the water like a humming bird in the air. (Hit!) Reed is able to move ahead far enough that he'll get another chance to subdue her next round.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Variel

Variel sighs and closes his eyes.

A second, cloned Variel appears nearby, and runs for the exit. The original moves as well, until the two of them are doing their best to block the corridor.

"I have no wish to hurt you!" The two Variels shout. "All I want is the truth!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, guess I have a use for today's Glamor Blade after all...

Making a second Variel 5 squares away, swapping my standard action for a move action to let the initial Variel move to chase Ms. Took and/or block the exit, and then taking a second move action to have the new Variel move to join him.

Using Intimidate to get her to surrender, in the face of two annoyed swordmages standing in her path.

(1d20+13)[15](28)

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Dolgan is painfully aware that he won't be able to follow the quickly moving sprite, so he angles to intercept her and makes the best of his one chance to hit. As he swings, electricity crackles along the blade, electricity that will scramble her ability to move.

Spoiler
    Show
    Split the Sky; Str. vs Fortitude; Thunder damage
    To Hit - (1d20+18)[11](29)
    Damage - (1d12+10)[7](17)
    Critical - (2d12)[11][11](22)
    If it hits, she is pushed back into the cave 2 spaces, and is knocked prone.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2009-03-10 at 05:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

His attack striking true, Dolgan watches as Ms. Took is flung backwards by the electrical discharge of his axe, ending on the ground of the cave. Placing himself between her and the exit, flankes on both sides by Variel and with Reed further down the narrow passage, Dolgan calmly says, "Ms. Reed, please don't force our hand. We are between you and the exit. We are not unreasonable people. Please talk to us - don't just take the loot and run."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about the double post, but sometimes edits get missed, and I'm really hoping I can talk some sense into the sprite.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

"She can take what's hers if she likes, but she can't take what's ours. Remember, Took promised information for our services, and seems to be trying to run off without giving it. Of course, if she doesn't actually have what she promised us, we could probably just settle for learning what it is she's so desperate to take..."

16. - Top - End - #256

Laertius

Obviously alarmed by the whole turn of events, Laertius swims to keep an eye on the goings-on.

Stop, stop! You're justifying her distrust!

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamantis View Post
    Laertius

Obviously alarmed by the whole turn of events, Laertius swims to keep an eye on the goings-on.

Stop, stop! You're justifying her distrust!

"Laertius, she came to request our help under false pretenses, and she promised to let us examine her seed once we found it. Trust has already been broken, and not on our side. I do not think her actions are reasonable or justified, and the more she evades our questions, the more our actions to stop her will be within reasonable cause." Unspoken is the fact that no-one cheats a dwarf from their earnt reward and gets away with it without a fight...

18. - Top - End - #258

Ms. Took gets up, but doesn't make another run for it. "Well I was going to leave you a note, but I can tell you now. The cache of treasure is hidden under the Temple of Light in South Methana--which is the Shimal side. Take care though; the treasure is guarded by mortal magic and most likely by demons now."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

When she tells them of the location of the promised reward, Reed relaxes slightly, but does not yet sheath his dagger or move out of the way. This woman has deceived him before, and he does not want to be tricked again. He regards her intently as he replies, "Very well then; a bit vague, but at least it's what you promised us. I'd still like to know what it is that you really sought here, but if you absolutely cannot stand tell us... Well, I guess that's that."

Spoiler
    Show
    Making insight and perception checks to see if she's telling the truth now or if she's still hiding something. If she is, ready action to try to grab her if she attempts to flee again; otherwise Reed will go back to the treasure room and start examining the magic items, particularly that dagger, in an attempt to identify their abilities.

Insight - (1d20+11)[14](25)
    Perception - (1d20+11)[9](20)
    Arcana for items - (1d20+6)[9](15)

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Variel

Variel stares at her with two pairs of eyes, an experience which most would find disconcerting.

"You do not trust us. That much is clear. So I will not ask you what it is you've really had us blindly fetch for you." He shakes his two heads, and sighs. "Promise me that it is for the good of Faerye, or at least not to it's harm. That it is not the seed to a Tree of Armageddon or the egg of a Terrasque. Promise me we will not see you again, cackling madly as the seed sprouts into the end of our world."

Variel is part of an eladrin organization full of mages who believe that Chaos is the ultimate power source. More than one of its members has had a good mad cackle, now and then, so he likes to think he knows the signs.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Variel

Variel stares at her with two pairs of eyes, an experience which most would find disconcerting.

"You do not trust us. That much is clear. So I will not ask you what it is you've really had us blindly fetch for you." He shakes his two heads, and sighs. "Promise me that it is for the good of Faerye, or at least not to it's harm. That it is not the seed to a Tree of Armageddon or the egg of a Terrasque. Promise me we will not see you again, cackling madly as the seed sprouts into the end of our world."

Variel is part of an eladrin organization full of mages who believe that Chaos is the ultimate power source. More than one of its members has had a good mad cackle, now and then, so he likes to think he knows the signs.

Dolgan looks suspiciously at the fey. "You know, a minute ago we might have allowed you to take whatever that thing is with little more than a cursory glance. It is said that dwarves don't trust, but that is false: we trust, but once trust is broken, we do not forget. I, unlike Variel, would rather make the decision myself about the object, rather than trust the word of a known liar. But for everyone's sake, and because there has been enough blood spilt today, I will follow Variel's cue. Would you willingly submit to Moradin's truth ritual? The ritual will reveal any lies spoken in its presence. If you will swear before Moradin that the object will not be used for evil, I will let you leave. On my honor as a priest of Moradin."

22. - Top - End - #262

Ms. Took sounds honest. She is still visibly nervous, but that could easily be the result of her recent chase. "I'll be happy to swear under truth-spell that this seed will do no harm to the good people of our dying earth."

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    Ms. Took sounds honest. She is still visibly nervous, but that could easily be the result of her recent chase. "I'll be happy to swear under truth-spell that this seed will do no harm to the good people of our dying earth."
    Spoiler
    Show

Direct check that she is not lying:
    Insight - (1d20+21)[19](40)

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Variel

Variel un-doubles himself, and sheaths his long sword. This leaves him vulnerable and relatively unthreatening. Though he keeps an eye on Ms. Took, now, he seems to have calmed.

"I am....sorry, Ms. Took. We were sent after an artifact, covered in illusions and guarded by chaos demons, by a woman who knowingly lied about its identity. I hope you can understand our misgivings, even if you can't understand our reaction." Variel looks earnest as he gazes at the fellow fey. Oddly enough, it isn't the betrayal he's offended by--it's her attempt to cloud the facts. He is, after all, a scholar.

25. - Top - End - #265

Laertius

His red skin appearing nearly purple through the water, Laertius swims up behind the others, a look of slight disapproval on his face.

This is all rather pointless. You, Ms. Took, oughtn't have run like that. Anyone you'd trust enough to escort you into a lair of demons should be given the benefit of the doubt.

26. - Top - End - #266

Ms. Took sounds honest to Dolgan too. "I really am sorry I wasn't honest with you. If you were villains you would have tried to kill me and then taken what you wanted..." She seems on the verge of saying something more, but ends with "Perhaps we'll meet again some day, under better circumstances." She then leaves the underwater lair unless someone tries to stop her.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Variel

Variel steps aside, bowing slightly as she leaves.

"She's forgiving. That is, perhaps, more than I could have done. If random fey in the wilderness can lie about the goal of a quest, I can only imagine what the old fortune-teller has really sent us to fetch."

He pauses, a slow smile creeping across his face.

"If we're lucky, it'll be exceptionally stale dwarf bread."

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Variel

Variel steps aside, bowing slightly as she leaves.

"She's forgiving. That is, perhaps, more than I could have done. If random fey in the wilderness can lie about the goal of a quest, I can only imagine what the old fortune-teller has really sent us to fetch."

He pauses, a slow smile creeping across his face.

"If we're lucky, it'll be exceptionally stale dwarf bread."

Dolgan grunts in amusement. "It could've gone better, but then, it could've gone much worse. Much worse. I do plan to be very careful with any "cures" we find - for all we know, if it even exists, it may be the instructions to cause the Plague rather than cure it. But I will be making the decision, once I got it. Remove that from us, and we are just smart animals. Oh, and if we do find properly aged bread, that wouldn't be lucky, it would be a miracle." With a sigh, Dolgan turns around and slowly moves towards the exit. "We might as well leave, and go get dry. We have plenty of loot to distribute, and these weeds won't last forever"

29. - Top - End - #269

You gather up the loose valuables into Reed's magical bag and then gratefully leave that den of Evil. After drying off in the stiff spring breeze, you examine the spoils of war and discover: a determined dagger, a pair of fireburst boots, a survivor's belt and a heavy cold iron shield. After tucking away your new possessions, you return to your two canoes and prepare for more adventure...

30. - Top - End - #270

Laertius

Dragging himself out of the water, Laertius produces a handful of fire and begins using it to evaporate the water on his exposed limbs as he gathers the pack he left up on the bank.

Ugh. Wet.