New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Meanwhile, back at the castle...

Luther watches his wife lead the rest of the party off into the night. So... now what?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Meanwhile, back at the castle...

Hereon Greenwings

So it's just me and Luther then. Very well, that should be all I need. The elf claps his hands together and starts walking Luther along by the shoulder amiably. "Well now Luther, it's time we go get a drink with our favorite halfling pal. We'll have to break the news sometime, and it would be best to make sure our messenger is in good spirits..." Not to mention, he adds in his head that he has the right message to deliver, and gives it at the right time.

"So, our buddy has wandered off to his room. Would you know which one he usually sticks himself in?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Luther shrugs. Driver's probably in his wagon, or down in the party. C'mon.

4. - Top - End - #4

Hereon Greenwings

Hereon follows Luther to the wagon, remembering that the halfing had wished to rest. Catching him alone for a drink would be ideal, wouldn't it? Be harder to keep something underwraps at a party, but it'd be good for an annoucement..
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

You reach the short, squat wagon. While tradition demands that caravan wagons be painted bright colors, this one is a steel monstrousity, with two swivel mounted crossbows on the roof that yould be oversized for you, a strangeadd on to the front that you know is designed to protect the horses from attack and the windows of the cabin are horizontal slits at eye height for a halfling.

But once you crouch under the low door the wagon makes up in opulence. There is a large matress on the floor and silk hangings and big chests around. The only concession to defence here are the six repeating crossbows on the wall and the short sword next to them.

Driver Tweed is pouring over a map by candlelight as you enter. Ah, hello Luther. Elf. You come to drag me off to the party?

6. - Top - End - #6

Hereon Greenwings

"Nothing says rest and relaxation like unceasing music and more people than you can count." He says with sarcasm clearly intended. "I thought we'd come by and have a chat, maybe a quiet drink or two if you're not too busy." He smiles thinly, gently hinting that he has more than small talk to discuss.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Riiiiight. Do you mind if we stop danceing elf? I'm not your enemy. Let's just talk. He waves at Luther, I know he's not much of a talker when someone else can do it for him.

8. - Top - End - #8

Hereon Greenwings

Hereon takes a seat on the mattress, calmly taking a moment to sum up his thoughts. "I'm sure we were transparent enough this evening for you to have realized that the Baron is dead. He died while hunting after bandits, but they had got the better of him and dealt a lethal blow. He had no heirs and no relatives that we are aware of, so in rapid council we decided on what measure to take. Sir Alexius and I are to rule in synchronicity; We shall both be Barons, balancing each other in power and knowledge. I would like you to announce this tomorrow, along with the rest of your news if you would."

He takes a moment to let the information sink and and follows up with a sigh. "In addition, I would like your help afterwords, to help me prepare a full explanation that will convince the people that this is the best course of action. I do not lack confidence that I can do this, I lack assurity that I will succeed. It has been made clear to me that humans do not have a great deal of faith in elves, and undoubtedly they will question my right to be present as their Baron. I will compensate you greatly if you assist me in this, simply name your price."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Tweed stops and gives you a long stare, glances at Luther for confirmation, and then nods. Right. So. You're the new Baron Regent, no Co-Regent of Albain? Well, I'll give the news out. He walks to a desk and withdraws a battered book, opens it up, and makes some marks with his quill pen. I suppose I ought to deliver my report now. He pages backwards and then launches in. Biggest new around about here is the closing of the Abacore iron mines. What seams that aren't totally worn out don't pay for the price of defending them from goblin raids anymore. The little 'Legion' there uped stakes and has taken to mercenary work. O' course, the miners are out of a job too. We got out of there before anyone suggested they take up robbing caravans. Next stop was the, aha, city of Ad'ma. Nothing new there. Then the castle Dimper, ugly thing. Dwarfen built though, so the doors are the right size. Anyway, they had a good year, lucky bastards, but wanted more iron than we had. Then a bunch of pox-sore sized towns, who had more bandit strikes and goblin skirmishes than I care to detail, and then I ended up here. He snaps the book shut and withdraws a map, spreads it out. You're in a good spot, relatively. Good harvest, from what I saw, and tallboy's- he nods at Luther -soldiers know how to fight. But way I see it, you either thrive or die. No just getting by for you lot, m'afraid. To many vultures hunting for weakness.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2009-02-13 at 07:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Hereon Greenwings

The elf sits patiently, trying to quickly evaluate the state of the region and the best way to take advantage of it. It would seem I hold the initiative on a neutral board, with no immediately clear advantages I can carve out. I must find a point of attack and take a risk for which I cannot be sure of the outcomes. This may be much more complicated than I suspected.

"You're right Tweed. Though while I'm in a decent spot, it will last only until someone makes a move.

"Now, you said Dimper wanted more Iron, but Abacore along your route was reaching the tail of it's vein. Do any other cities in the region produce iron? Is Abacore certain to not produce any further, or is there still potential to find new veins? With the miners out of work in Abacore, they might come at the first shout of some new mineral. If you knew of any potential sites of deposits, I could go and claim them, and quickly start production.

"What is it that Ad'ma does? What does it produce, and who rules over it? What about the towns between here and Dimper? If they produce anything worthwhile, offering the protection of our soldiers would be highly beneficial. It would also make the road quite a bit safer for you and your caravan.

"What of the next destinations along your route? What was the last you had heard of them? I realize I'm asking a great number of questions, but while my position is good to be in, it is not the best to move forward in. A more desperate situation has clearer decisions and obvious outcomes... What does one do with a reasonable prosperous Castle? I must find opportunities to grow, and undercut where I can."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Tweed prods the local map. Up in the north o' ya, that's the nearest iron site. Goblin country now, but they won't've used the vien up, they just like the caves. But if someone could open it... yeah, I think the Albacore miner's would head your way. He gives you a long, appraising look. As for Ad'ma, doesn't produce much but hope, idealists, and dead 'heroes,' but it stays alive, which is more than you can say for most of the old cities. It's an important pilgrimage forone of those new religions, I think. As to what's next, well, Adwar, and then south along the Lake coast. Easy going there, until we get to Acer. Then we have to turn, or we're into the Tammy turf. It's a cushy loop they got, lots of big oasis cities, no bandits between, and it's mostly them doing the trading. 'Course, who needs bandits when you got to fight the desert the whole way.

12. - Top - End - #12

Hereon Greenwings

The elf holds his chin on his hands, thinking for a while as he receives a picture of the situation geographically around him. At the moment, his concern landed among Dimper. At the moment, they stand to be a competitor, should they take any efforts to capture the iron mines form the goblins. Should he obtain it first, they stand to be dependent on them, and bring to Albain an excellent profit.

With plans popping up in his mind, he grins cheerfuly, amused with his growing collection of information. "I think those answers clear up a good many things. All that remains is to wait for Alexius and company to return, and strike up a full plan. Tell me, what do you have planned for the announcement? I'd like to hear it and see if I can build off from that for my part."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.