John's eyes take in the scene.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+14)[18]

"I'm John. I'm a guide to travelers."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Fun in the Sun IC1

Belis surveys the yard, examining each being in it briefly, trying to judge what each is capable of, and loyal to.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20+9)[19]
    Sense Motive: (1d20+8)[16]

"I am Mage Belis Shipwright, of Celebarda."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Gareth

Gareth looks around vaguely, but doesn't seem to be trying to understand anything in particular.

When questioned, he looks straight into Lieutenant Ragnarock's eyes and replies,

"My name is Gareth Tannath."

4. - Top - End - #124

Spot Checks
    Spoiler
    Show

Belis
    Spoiler
    Show

For the most part, the crowd seems to fall into two groups, those that appear violent and those that do not, with an unofficial, but very clear line in the sand between the two groups. Most seem more likely to have martial training than magical, but it is not easy to tell at a distance. Beyond one group clearly composed of all half-elves looking disdainful of the the humans in the crowd and another of all humans feeling the same way about the half-elves, it's difficult to get a sense of their states of mind. The man moving amongst the groups, and in fact across the line between violence and non-aggression, gives off a sense of divine inspiration if not magic, leading you to conclude the goliath behind him is a penitent of some sort.

John
    Spoiler
    Show

You can not be sure, as his back was to you, but one of the men you walk by has a tattoo very similar to that of a man you knew in your previous line of work. You never knew his name, but you know enough of his exploits to know he deserves to be in this prison.

The lieutenant stares at a small device in his hand for a moment, grunts, apparently satisfied and places the device in his pocket, sighs, then clearly addresses himself to Captain Fallon. "You know that the sahuagins have considered all other colonists to be the allies of the dwarves and darfellans and thus their enemies. This is unreasonable, but can't be helped and, so, we give them a wide berth and they've spent the majority of their energy fighting the darfellans and now the dwarves to a chaotic stand-still that has pleased neither side, but which neither side has been able to improve upon. Until recently. Our intelligence in this matter is sketchy, but, for the last month or so, it seems the sahuagin have been making gains, their attacks far more effective. We don't know why, and their new success has left more of them able to keep us out of their waters so we can't find out." He begins pacing, his frustration at this state of affairs obvious. "Several options have been considered, but diplomacy is difficult, both because they live mainly underwater and because they tend to kill us on sight. A military response makes this an active state of war between the sahuagins and whatever nation intercedes, rather than an ongoing local dispute and no government is looking for that 'unless it begins to drastically effect trade or quality of life.' Bueraucrats. No offense, Menlo." Menlo raises his hands to indicate none is taken. "This has left us with only one viable option, Fallon. People like you. People we can trust, but who aren't officially employed by any of the colonizing governments. we've been asking the others who've brought us prisoners and met with little enthusiasm. Will you help us?"

Fallon considers for a moment and responds "Give me a moment to discuss it with my men." Bringing the four of you into a huddle, he continues. "I realize none of you have signed on with me yet and may not want to if I decide to take on this mission. But, as four outside and perhaps differing voices, I'd like to hear what you think of their request."
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2009-02-27 at 05:08 PM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    John attempts to remain nondescript in the hopes his former colleague doesn't notice him. Hide check: (1d20+16)[35]

John regards the lieutenant carefully as he speaks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+14)[24]

He talks slowly, still making up his mind.
    "If he has no other agenda, his instincts are good. It would be better for a group like us to find out the truth then to start a war blindly."

6. - Top - End - #126

Marcel

Marcel smiles.

"I can't say no. It is like Heironeous has set this up perfectly for me. My mentor uncle in the military need a black ops team to take care of something, of which I would be part."

With a pause for dramatic effect, he finishes, "Count me in!"

7. - Top - End - #127

Belis

"I think you've the right of it, Master John. We're probably the best qualified to keep this from becoming a real disaster, but I'd like a lot more information before we start."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Gareth

Gareth's face is set.

"Master Fallon, These attacks are a menace to innocent travelers. I would love to put a stop to them, by whatever means are available."

9. - Top - End - #129

John
    Spoiler
    Show

In the yard you manage to hide yourself among the others. Though he briefly looks in your direction, the man does not seem to recognize you.

In the warden's office, Lieutenant Ragnarok seems sincere both in his desire to do something and in his frustration at losing the other options.

Fallon nods and turns from the huddle. "We're in, but we won't go in blindly. Informational security and compartmentalizing have their place, but walking in to enemy territory without a good idea of what to expect is folly of the worst kind. I don't need to know how you know what you know about what we're heading in to, but I need to know everything you can tell me." The warden and Menlo seem a bit surprise by his directness, but Lietenant Ragnarok chuckles and answers. "I always thought we were of a like mind, Fallon. Or maybe it's just the attitude one develops when one becomes a leader. Alright, but the first thing you should know is that you're not going in alone. One other captain accepted under roughly the same terms you did, so if I have to go over things, I'd rather do it once. Follow me."

He takes you through the door he entered from to a smaller room, with maps and schedules on three of the walls and a large table in the center. At the far end of the table, the storyteller from the bar seems to be concluding a heated discussion with an older man, while the blond woman who was with him sits and listens while restraining herself from intervening. As you approach, the man concludes. "I'm going, father. They need help and I can give it." The older man throws his hands up in frustration and storms past you, sparing a glare for lieutenant Ragnarok on his way out. As the door slams behind you, Ragnarok begins again. "Fallon, I know you've met Captain Edwards and his first mate, Rubi, but I don't know if your men have. You can make introductions later. For now, everyone sit."

As you take your seats, the lieutenant lays out areas of sahuagin attacks on the shore and some of the most common areas of ship attacks. He mentions that their shipboard tactics seem to be the same, but 'reports are' that their attacks on land have taken on a different tone.
    "And that's basically what we know. Any questions or clarifications?"
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

Marcel

"The plan. What exactly are we to do?"

11. - Top - End - #131

Belis

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Belis asks one question, and after the answer is given (and any follow-up), asks the other, but I'm posting them together to speed things up

Have there been any surviving witnesses from these new land-based attacks?

Has anything new been done to antagonize them? This seems excessive revenge for simply sailing over their heads on occasion.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

"This may seem an odd question, but do you have any deceased Sahuagin that we could examine?"

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Gareth

"As a corollary to master Belis's question, exactly how do reports say their land attacks' tone has changed?"

14. - Top - End - #134

The lieutenant's map (mentioned in this post)
    Spoiler
    Show

The lieutenant attempts to answer your questions:

"As for survivors, we estimate roughly half of the ships that are attacked survive as you did, though we can't be certain. For those on the land, we can be fairly sure they haven't wiped out everyone there, but our information is infrequent, so we don't know the number of casualties except that they are occuring at a higher rate than they had previously. One report described it as 'their used to be a clear goal when they attacked: seize a piece of land, a mine, an inlet; now they just seem to want us dead and our homes destroyed.' Clearly, we need to do something to see if that's true."

"Ah, yes, the plan. Forgive me; of late, I've been giving reports to those who like to have information but rarely do anything about it. Simply put, get in close to a dwarf settlement, gather as much information as you can on your way in and while you're there and get out alive. Ideally, report back to us, but if you're ship is damaged, get word to the governor in Mirfield and have him contact us. I personally, would use this route here." He draws it in blue on the map. "But you may vary it at your discretion."

"As far as we know, we haven't done anything new to aggravate them; perhaps the dwarves did, but, if so, they haven't told us what. Our best guess, which is based on less hard data than I'd like, is that the sahuagins either have a new ally or a new source of power: divine, demonic, even mechanical, that's turned the tide."

"No, there are no dead sahuagins here. Their claimed territory has expanded" he gestures to the orange line and then to the yellow "but doesn't reach this island yet and most ships that encounter them on their way here simply toss the bodies before they arrive."
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2009-03-04 at 09:12 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

Belis

It seems strange that we have so little word from the dwarves. Just rumors carried by ships. Is there no arcane communication? The sending spell exists for a reason.

16. - Top - End - #136

Keep in mind that we haven't officially been asked to intervene by the dwarves. This incursion is motivated by our desire for information and to keep the seas safe for the passage of all. What I mean is, there may be more information coming from their settlers that they aren't sharing with the rest of us. What we have is largely secondhand, but it's enough to make us want more.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

Marcel

"What is our initiative allowance? Our rules of engagement?"

Marcel clarifies: "If we discover that we could do something right away, are we free to proceed, or are we under strict orders to report back? How about engagements themselves; are we on a strict defend-as-attacked basis, or can we seize opportunities for attack as we see fit?"

18. - Top - End - #138

Good question. We would prefer that you not initiate the engagements, unless you have reason to believe that said engagement will either provide additional useful information or bring about an end to this renewed aggression. But, as you're not in the army, that's not an order and I'll just ask that you use your own best judgement. If you encounter any sahuagin attack in progress against a Daernultoki, Escinyan or Rondoster ship or settlement, you, of course, have the authority to intervene.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

Belis

What about the other way? If we discover the sahuagin are in the right, are we authorized to join forces with them? They might promise to leave our shipping alone afterwords.

20. - Top - End - #140

Marcel

Marcel eyes Belis and quickly shakes his head, trying to get the message across that Belis just committed a faux-pas.

21. - Top - End - #141

Belis deliberately ignores Marcel and keeps his eyes on the lieutenant.

22. - Top - End - #142

Marcel

Noticing inaction from his companion, Marcel decides to take matters into his own hands.

"That is, if we find out some of the dwarves are doing bad or illegal things such as consorting with devils, and the sahuagins are trying to stop them," Marcel clarifies in order to try bailing Belis out. Unfortunately, Marcel's ineptitude in social conduct causes him to fumble his words a bit.

23. - Top - End - #143

That's a more delicate situation. Obviously we don't want anything like that happening, but we want war with Daernultok even less than we want it with the sahuagins. But, as I said, you're unofficial and on your own initiative. If you find anything like that and believe you can end it, you will have to use your own best judgment how to proceed.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144

Marcel

Marcel looks around and remains silent, currently satisfied with the answers, needing no further inquiries.

25. - Top - End - #145

Fallon sees a consensus growing and speaks up Alright then. Sounds like we have a plan. Reynold, can your ship be ready in, say two hours. The blond captain nods. Very well then. I'm on my way back to the Eagle to make preparations. The rest of you may wish to view the prison and settlement before joining me. You have two hours. The blond captain and his first mate begin a hushed conversation at their end of the table.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

John looks out at the prison yard pensively, and waits to see where his companions go before he leaves the room.

27. - Top - End - #147

Belis

One idea before you go: if you can provide us with a few scrolls of sending, we'd be able to report back on anything we find immediately. It would save time and avoid the risk of our being killed on the way back.

28. - Top - End - #148

We should be able to do that, Mr. Belis. I'll check with the warden and have them sent down to the Escinya Eagle before you set sail. Now, it's time for my rounds. If any of you would like to join me he looks briefly at Marcel you are welcome. Otherwise, I wish you good luck and godspeed.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149

Marcel

Without sound or gesture, Marcel quietly joins the lieutenant, and awaits his uncle to initiate the conversation as they walk.

30. - Top - End - #150

If it can be done without rudeness, Belis goes to Captain Edwards and Rubi, introduces himself, and asks general questions about their background and role in this expedition.