New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Fun in the Sun IC1

John joins Belis but stands at a polite distance from the conversation.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Marcel
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, you seem to be doing alright for yourself; fighting the good fight when you find it. I must say, I'm glad to have someone I know I can trust to keep a level head on this mission. Fallon's a good man, don't get me wrong, but I trained you; I know you can keep your head when **** **** the fan. As you approach the prison yard, he continues I've told you everything we know about the current situation, but I can offer some advice for going up against the sahuagins if you like, or you can entertain me with tales of your travels while we walk.

Belis and John
    Spoiler
    Show

Edwards answers your questions Rubi and I have been sailing together for years, for as long as I've had my own ship. My father, whom you saw briefly, would've preferred I stay here and raise horses with him. He came to the colonies after his military service in the hopes the military wouldn't need me. So, he objected to my taking on the sometimes dangerous life of a pirate hunter. But I grew up hearing tales of adventure on the high seas from Rubi here when her father's ship would dock to drop off prisoners and I couldn't resist. Rubi chimes in And now, apparently, he's one of a very small number of pirate hunters willing to work for something beyond a bounty and help out with these sahuagin attacks. Reynold, you'll want to make sure Fallon understands that you two are working together; you're not working for him. You know he'll try to pull rank, but from what I saw, our ships in better shape which should give you command, but I'd offer equal authority. Turning to Belis But, sorry, that's not very interesting to you, I'd imagine. Did you learn anything from the attack on your ship? I saw the damage when you pulled in.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

3. - Top - End - #153

Lieutenant Ragnarok
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Both," Marcel proclaims as he gives out a large grin, realizing his uncle knew the answer already."I have been doing exactly what I said I would when I left: defending those who can't defend themselves."

With a glint of excitement in his eyes, Marcel starts retelling stories of his adventures, starting with first and foremost his slaying of the Icthyasuar. He pulls neither gory details nor self-lauding. There is no other way to describe glorious tales, of course.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Gareth

Gareth watches the conversation with Captain Edwards, waiting for a chance to introduce himself properly, and in the meantime learning what he can about the young captain who will apparently be co-commander of the expedition.

5. - Top - End - #155

Belis

An expedition of two ship, of which neither captain will defer to the other. I suppose there are only a finite number of ways that could go horribly wrong. But it's between you two -- I won't get in between unless you want me to.

Did we learn anything from our attack? Not a whole lot. They were well-coordinated, despite not much warning that we would be there (since we didn't know ourselves until shortly before). They had matching emblems on their equipment, which suggests a well-organized army or similar. No tactical subtlety though -- no sign that they cared where they were hitting so long as it was a lot of places at once, and no retreat even when it was hopeless for them. We wiped them out pretty quickly, but you saw the damage they did. The boat was pristine before the attack.

What's most disturbing is that they weren't particularly interested in us. This is what they do to anyone.

6. - Top - End - #156

Marcel
    Spoiler
    Show

"Excellent, excellent! The finest tales I've heard in a while and no less that I'd expected from you. A darn sight more exciting than keeping this rabble in line." He throws a scowl at an inmate that seemed to be creeping up on their conversation, but retreats in the wake of the lieutenant's glance. "But this matters, too. No escapes in the last 3 years, meaning the hundred murderous souls in here have caused no harm to those outside for that long. Still, I wish I could be going with you, but my duties are here. Take this though." He hands you a scroll. "I'm sure the governor will give the captain some of these, but if you all get in trouble, use this to get word to me. A few military captains owe me some favors."

OOC:Scroll of Sending obviously

Belis talking, other two watching
    Spoiler
    Show

Rubi attempts to assuage Belis's concerns. [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"It's not as bad as all that; Fallon just isn't our biggest fan. He thinks he's more official because he's signed on as an 'official' pirate hunter and briefs governors in that uniform and we hunt on our own and take the bounties when they come. Sort of a friendly rivalry; well, we try to keep it friendly at least.

The attack on your ship sounds a lot like others we've heard about and like a larger version of one that we ourselves endured about a week ago. This blind aggression is something we have to deal with."[/COLOR

Reynolds steps forward, puffs up his chest.And we shall! Two ships can't win the war, but we can be the scouts that lead the charge in our eventual victory. Realizing he's speechifying a bit, Reynolds turns to John and Gareth. You two! You've been rather quiet; who are you and how will you be aiding in this noble quest?
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157

Lieutenant Ragnarok
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I'd have to give this to a spellcaster, wouldn't I?" Marcel wishes to double-check on the use of the scroll, after which he thanks his uncle.

As they continue walking, they continue trading stories on the past.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

"My name is John. I'm a guide to travelers."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Gareth Tannath

Gareth smiles, steps forward, and extends a hand.

"My name is Gareth Tannath, master Reynolds. I offer my blade and my magicks to the end of this menace."

10. - Top - End - #160

Marcel
    Spoiler
    Show

"True enough, but in my experience, spellcasters tend to be a bit absent-minded. I know you'll hang on to this one." Your walk takes you to the wall that separates the prison yard from the rest of the colony. "It' been great catching up with you, but I'll understand if you need to get back to your ship or want to see more of the colony proper. I need to work my way back up the other side of the yard and back to the governor."

Belis, John and Gareth
    Spoiler
    Show

Reynolds shakes hands with each of you.Excellent, Gareth, I'm sure we will do great things together. A guide, you say? Have you done much traveling in the dwarven colonies or mainly the Escinyan and Rondoster.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the lapse in posting. Last 36 hours were mainly spent out of town.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

"I haven't had the pleasure yet. But the rest of the crew has asked me to stay on. I guess I'm something of a good luck charm."

12. - Top - End - #162

Belis, John and Gareth
    Spoiler
    Show

Good luck is always welcome. sigh Time for my pre-departure 'good luck' ritual, at least I hope it is, for it's not much fun but I have come back safely each time, so why break the pattern now. Time to say goodbye to my father and hear another lecture about how I should just stay here. Come with me, Rubi? He wraps up faster when you're there. Rubi nods. I will see the rest of you when we set sail. Until then. He bows slightly and the two of them depart.

You have the room to yourself to converse, inspect the maps more closely, or you can head out.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163

Marcel

Marcel bids his farewells to Lieutenant Ragnarok and excuses himself to ready his equipment for the adventure.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

John heads for the ship.

15. - Top - End - #165

Belis also heads back to the ship. Once there, he makes a thorough inspection of the damage and repairs. He ignores cosmetic issues, but has no desire to venture into danger on a vessel of dubious seaworthiness. If he finds problems too big to fix himself, he brings them to the captain's attention.

Spoiler
    Show

Search: (1d20+14)[27]
    Craft(shipbuilding): (1d20+8)[13]

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Gareth

Gareth heads back to the ship, after taking a moment to sew up the gash in his shirt left by the sahuagin attack.

17. - Top - End - #167

As you all arrive at the pier, you see the two captains having a friendlier than expected conversation and they part ways with identical shell-shaped objects. Welcome. The scrolls from the mayor have been put aboard and Captain Reynolds has procured these to allow easy communication between our two ships. As such, we've agreed that you four may serve aboard his ship, if you'd prefer, as we'll be able to coordinate. Let's get under way.

OOC: choose a ship and the next leg starts tomorrow
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

John climbs on board Fallon's ship.

19. - Top - End - #169

Marcel

Familiarity is the brethren of battle, Marcel thinks as he contemplates joining Fallon's ship. But strength lies in numbers and allies... he realizes as he contemplates joining the other captain's ship.

Marcel ends up standing relatively frozen in indecision.

Funny... if this were a combat situation, I'd have no problem, he frowns in annoyance.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Gareth

"Thank you, Captain Fallon. It's best that I know as many of our men as possible, so, with your leave..."

Gareth climbs aboard Captain Reynolds's ship.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2009-03-11 at 05:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

The ships set sail with all of you aboard, following roughly the plan that Lieutenant Ragnarok laid, curving perhaps a bit more to the north, to take advantage of the winds. The sailing is calm, the breeze steady, and though a few beasts are spotted and preparations made, no attacks come. The ships have slowed near the trio of islands off the coast of Mirfield. Not too close, though, as it's a known meeting place for pirates. The pause is to allow for last minute preparations and tactical decisions. You have gathered along with the captain of the ship you are on and some of his top officers to decide on a plan of attack. You can hear the other ship, though not perfectly, through the shells the captains hold.

Escinya Eagle (Fallon's ship)
    I see two main strategems that may be effective. One is to have one of the ships attempt to provoke an attack out here at the edge of their reach, then crush it with the combined forces of both, hopefully giving us a window in their patrols to move through undetected. The other is a full speed rush through, dodging and repelling attacking groups as they arise.
    Baldric Bronco (Edwards' ship)
    I must say, I like the idea of charging straight in, trusting to fortune and our wits and stabbing straight through the threat to reach the Daernultoki colonies. What say the rest of you?

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

If you hadn't picked a ship yet, either say which one you pick or which captain you're looking at when you answer.

Any buffs, etc that you need, do that now, too. You never know how close danger is

Reminder: the map
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2009-03-11 at 07:26 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172

Marcel

Marcel makes a motion to speak and catches Fallon's eye, "I say we push straight through. We should maintain our true intentions hidden, and this way we'd look like a ship wanting to get through. If we were to start drawing them in and picking them off one by one, even though it would be tactically feasible, it would give away that we're a military ship specifically here to kill them."

23. - Top - End - #173

Belis

I see little value in provoking an attack here. Everything we could learn by being attacked we already have. We don't know how they organize patrols, or how often they report in -- we might end up giving them more information!

We might get by easier not flying our flag. They apparently don't give pirates as much trouble.

Habits:
    Spoiler
    Show

Belis now maintains mage armor at all times, casting it four times a day.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

John doesn't say a word. Not his department.

25. - Top - End - #175

Fallon ponders for a moment Alright, straight through it is then. As for the flag... I'd like to have it up as we approach the colonies, lest they think we're another enemy, but if they are responding less forcefully to ships not flying Escinyan and Rondoster colors, we need every advantage we can get.

Agreed. You, go take down the flag. If we have any around from pirates we captured, hoist one of them. He gestures to one of his officers who hustles out of the room, presumably to follow the orders. Give us a moment to get that ready, Fallon and then we'll increase speed on your mark.

A few minutes later, the two ships accelerate to speed and make a beeline for the coast. A few sahuagin shark and dolphin-mounted scouts are spotted but, by adjusting course each time one is spotted, the ships make it safely to the larger island in Sammanilith Cove where they are briefly fired upon by the Daernultoki defenses until the flags are changed and messages relayed as to your intentions. In few words, the outpost conveys that they have experienced more attacks than usual, but have heard it's even worse in the colony proper and bid you good luck in aiding them and coming back with reinforcements.

As you make port, warier than ever but still without incident, you are met almost immediately by a gruff, bloodied dwarf. Excellent, we were beginning to think the rest of you'd forgotten about us. How many more ships behind you?
    Erm, well.
    Just us for now, we're supposed to find out what's going on, help if we can and then report back so that more ships can come later.
    Gerxin fantastic! Two ships! Well, hooray for you. Surely the sahuagins and their lobster-faced friends will turn away at the sight of two whole ships! That actually explains why they backed off a few hours ago. Probably saw you coming and wanted to wait til you got here to hit us and you at the same time. You any good in a fight at least?
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Gareth

Gareth tries to smile reassuringly, but it comes out rather forced.

"You needn't worry about that, master dwarf."

As he finishes his sentence, his copper circlet vanishes in a puff of smoke.

"Oh, drat. Excuse me a moment, please."

Gareth murmurs something under his breath, and the circlet reappears.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Recasting Crown of Might, so it'll last for another six hours.

27. - Top - End - #177

Marcel

Marcel feels he does not have to respond given his appearance. However, he does complain something about the captains being too good at steering and denying him the chance to battle boarding invaders.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

John looks out at the water anxiously.

He looks for any approaching ships, or anything else unusual:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check: (1d20+14)[20]

29. - Top - End - #179

Belis

We were sent to gather information, not join in a war. We've had very little news from this part of the world, and the third-hand rumors were worrying. You make it sound like you're under siege! How bad is it? How did it start?

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive to see if he's hiding anything: (1d20+8)[25]

30. - Top - End - #180

Fallon rolls his eyes slightly at Marcel and Edwards stifles a chuckle before returning to the seriousness off the matter at hand.

The dwarf steps up to Belis. How did it start? Some darfellan did something to some sahuagin centuries ago and they've hated each other ever since. So, they kill each other. We make friends with the darfellans and sometimes they started to kill us too; usually supply transports or if we try to settle in land they have an 'ancient claim' to. Dropping the sarcastic tone from his voice. But a few months ago, strategy seemed to drop out of the equation. They were hitting at random and fighting much more fiercely; they almost seemed to not care if they died as long as we did too. Some thought they'd just changed tactics and were trying to make it so unbearable we all just leave, but then the lobster-heads showed up.
    He spits in disgust. Don't ask me what they're actually called; they don't talk much so we can't ask; but if you made a lobster blue, 6 feet tall and stand on two legs, you'd have it about right. About two months ago, they started joining the attacks. We have no idea what we've done to them, but it's clear, to me at least, that they were somehow responsible for the change in sahuagin attacks and now they're participating more openly. They seem to care more about destroying buildings even more than killing us. So, that's about how bad it is, sir!
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show