New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Fun in the Sun IC1

Marcel

"Lobster-heads, eh? Maybe this is the elite of their society?" Marcel speculates as he seems slightly annoyed at the terminology.

"Tell me everything you, and anyone else knows, about these things," he says, obviously suggesting to be referred to someone who knows something more if necessary.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

John: "Have you managed to kill any of the... the blue ones?"

3. - Top - End - #183

At the suggestion of the lobsters as elites, the dwarf shrugs. Maybe; they don't look much like the other sahuagin, though. You can ask Dartan, though. He's one of our physicians and he's spent the most time with the bodies.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

4. - Top - End - #184

Belis silently searches his knowledge of magical creatures and magical modifications to creatures in the hopes that he's heard of something like this before.

(1d20+9)[29]

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

John politely asks where the doctor can be found, and if no attack is forthcoming he'll go to wherever that is and ask if he can have a few minutes alone with one of the bodies of the larger creatures.

6. - Top - End - #186

Marcel

"If there is an attack, then we will assist in the defense, but Belis is right; we're not here to fight a war."

Marcel then also tries to meet up with the doctor.

7. - Top - End - #187

Belis
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing from the old country even vaguely resembles what they are describing, but you have heard one story since moving to the colonies about an odd carcas that washed ashore on the goliath islands and was inspected by a wizard on a visiting ship. The creature was more purplish than blue and walked on four legs like a lobster, but would be around the right size, assuming some mage decided to alter it to look more humanoid, which of course can be done. No one knew its species; the goliaths referred to it as simply Bigclaw.

At the doctor (John, Marcel, the others if you go)
    Spoiler
    Show

The dwarf at the pier gave you directions to the, well, field hospital is probably the best description, where you could find Dartan and you make your way there, passing a few damaged buildings along the way.

You find a pale, thin (for a dwarf) man with a very short beard oving about among a few wounded patients, attempting to be friendly in their presence but looking detached and clinical in between. At your arrial, he looks up, moves close enough so that his tone will not carry back to his patients. You're not from here and you're not wounded. State your business or turn around because you've come to the wrong place.

When John asks about the corpses of the lobster-heads, Most of their remains were burned or tossed out to sea, but I did have one partially frozen for preservation until I could get a good look at it. These people come first, obviously. You can look at it if you think you can get something from it. He points to a small storage area out the back door of the clinic.

Still on the dock
    Spoiler
    Show

Fallon addresses the dwarf Quite right, Marcel, but we are also hear to gather information, should that be necessary. If you have the time, could you share with the two of us he gestures to Edwards Tactical data you have gathered or inferred about where their major cities are, attack formations etc. We will, of course, bring over medical supplies and foodstuffs we can spare for your wounded while this conversation occurs.
    The dwarf nods and the three head off towards the Escinya Eagle.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    anyone who doesn't want to be with either group is free to wander
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

John makes his way back into the storage area. If the body is in good enough condition, he will begin the ritual. If allowed to complete it, he will ask three questions:

"Why have the Sahuagin attacks been increasing?"

"Why have your kind been a part of the attacks?"

"Where does your kind come from?"

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Will save DC 17 to not answer))

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Gareth

"I trust that you have some sort of alarm system for when the sahuagin attack, master dwarf? I have some interest in studying some of your texts, but I'd like to know that I'll be able to know when I'm needed. Also, would you honor me with your name? It feels disrespectful to refer to you as simply 'master dwarf.'"

If there is some kind of alarm system, then Gareth leaves to look for a likely location for a library, where he might find more information regarding magical theory.

10. - Top - End - #190

Belis follows John, both to gain the most relevant information and to watch his back during the ritual. Following John's example, he does not speak unless it becomes necessary.

OOC questions:
    Spoiler
    Show

What time of day is this? (i.e. how many 1st level slots am I down?)
    How many scrolls of sending did we receive?

11. - Top - End - #191

The pier (Gareth)
    Spoiler
    Show

The dwarf sighs, You're right, of course. We're all on edge here. My name is Bartrix. We do have wards that give us some warning when an attack is coming. In the past, they'd started to learn to beat some of them, but the one 'good' thing about these new attacks is they tend not to bother. The texts you're looking for can be found in the main building down that road. He points and then heads off with the two captains.

The hospital (Belis and John)
    Spoiler
    Show

The creature responds, but is not particularly helpful.

Support morvas wybik
    Grendum
    ally ank qindar
    holdrum com
    sea

OOC: if either of you speak Aquan, PM me and I'll translate;

OOC Answers:
    Spoiler
    Show

You got 5 scrolls of sending. It's around 8 o'clock at night(I've gotta keep track of time better; thanks for the reminder), so you'll likely be spending the night here once you all finish what you're doing.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2009-03-18 at 09:38 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192

After the first incomprehensible answer, Belis casts Comprehend Languages.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Gareth

"Thank you, Bartrix."

Gareth heads down to the building Bartrix pointed out, and begins looking for advanced books on transmutational theory. If he finds any, then he'll offer to buy them, or rent, whichever is accepted, then go and look for some relatively cheap lodging for the night.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2009-03-19 at 07:38 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

John closes his eyes as the creatures starts talking, profoundly affected by his own stupidity. It's obviously been too long since was out on a real job. Maybe that's why he decided to go- no good getting rusty just because you're not in the trade anymore.
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If nothing interesting happens John will try and find a place to rest.

15. - Top - End - #195

Belis
    Spoiler
    Show

What you hear the lobster-head say:
    Our ally asked us.
    Deep beneath the sea.

Gareth, As you pores through the tomes, the elderly librarian of sorts walks up, suggests a few of his favorites in that area of research and says that he will allow you to borrow as many as you like for just the night if you gives your word to return them unharmed the next day. Bring them back damaged, and the fee is hefty, however. You sense he's found this an effective system.

Taking your books with you, you are flagged down by a man attempting to repair an area of his tavern before night falls too deeply and offers you a room if you will help him finish his work.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196

Belis shares the translations with John, and speculates that the first answer might have been "support from us" or something similar.

He then raises to John the subject of using a scroll of sending now. "We don't have complete information," he reasons aloud, "but we have learned some useful things, and if we all die in tomorrow's raid, we'll regret not sending word. We have five scrolls, so we can send more later, but it's not an unlimited resource. What do you think?"

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Gareth

Gareth agrees to the innkeeper's terms, and provides what unskilled labor he can. If any important structure is broken, he uses the Mending spell to repair it.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2009-03-20 at 11:13 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198

With a few judicious uses of the Mending spell, Marcel and the shopkeeper repair the most badly damaged parts of the tavern and the innkeeper shows him to the room he may use.

OOC dspeyer
    Spoiler
    Show

Waiting to advance your plot til BDEYE posts again. If he hasn't by, say, early afternoon tomorrow, I'll NPC his response to keep things moving.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

"We should pool our information with the others first, but yes, we should send word back."

20. - Top - End - #200

"Then by all means, let us go find them."

They set off looking for their companions. As they walk, Belis attempts to condense what they've learned into 25 words.

21. - Top - End - #201

John and Belis make their way back in to town, looking for lodging and are flagged down by a man looking to rent rooms in his newly repaired tavern. A you enter, you are surprised to encounter Gareth leafing through a magical tome.

OOC: not sure what's happened to Marcel/Defiant. We'll assume he (Marcel) found different lodging for the night and see if he (Defiant) shows up soon.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

John enters the tavern.

23. - Top - End - #203

Belis

Gareth! I am glad we found you. Can we go to a private room to discuss the immediate future?

Assuming Gareth agrees and a room can be rented, Belis lays out everything they discovered, suggests sending a message back, and raises the question of whether they should stay and defend the settlement or maintain secrecy and head on for more information. He does his best to lay out the possibilities evenhandedly, but supports sending a message now, and then staying to defend.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

"Defending this place isn't part of the mission. That doesn't mean we can't do it but we should have an exit strategy in case things go south."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Gareth

Gareth grins, pleased to see his compatriots.

"Certainly, Master Belis. We can talk in mine."

After the situation is laid out, Gareth is fine with sending a message, as it's Belis's resource, to do with as he wishes.

In response to John,
    "That's true. The best plan I can think of is just fighting our way to the docks, and taking any ship that isn't scuttled. Perhaps we could define a retreating point, just so that we can combine forces for the push."
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2009-03-22 at 11:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Obviously, you can all continue your talks that night, but once your ready for morning, they'll be there. No waking up to the sounds of explosions...this time.

As you awaken the next morning and make your way down for breakfast, you find the two captains and Bartrix, the dwarf from the docks, already waiting for you. Good morning, gentlemen. We've made it through the night with no new attacks, as you've no doubt noticed.
    Perhaps a showing of the flag has given the enemy pause.
    I doubt it, Fallon. I'd say this is just the calm before the storm and with the calm this long, the storm may be dire indeed.
    Indeed. While I do appreciate the medical supplies you've brought over, I fear the cost may prove too high. But what say the three of you? Any insights from your brief time here
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

"Very little, I'm afraid. The bottom line is that we need to know more then we do."

28. - Top - End - #208

The previous night:
    Belis

Assuming we get a bit of warning before the attack starts, we could position ourselves at the docks, by our own ships, and retreat into them and make sail if they break through our lines.

Meanwhile, here's the message I propose sending:
    Arrived Sammanilith. Expect attack here. Sahuagin goal pure destruction. Will assist defense. New Sahuagin ally: blue lobster-headed biped from deeps. Suspect alliance triggered increased attacks.

The message is written in his notebook with various crossouts of phrases that were too wordy. If the others approve, he sends it that night and waits for a response.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

John approves the message.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Gareth agrees that the message will convey everything that they know.