New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default Re: Adventure's in Jarlsguard (IC)

The Ork smiles, and finally sits down with the rest of you, making Elodius's Gold Piece Disappear with Practiced Ease. "Already Paid for, Thank you Kindly"

A Loud Thump Comes From the General Goods Store making the Ork look Twice, He Gets up without having said anything, but says "Maybe You guys and me will Talk later, Maybe some business eh?" before he hurries to the store, shouting about "You break it you bought it" and then stopping at the surprisingly reptilian hiss that presumably comes from the Teifling, as they both disappear from view.
    On the first day of Dnd my dm gave to me
    http://filbolg.wordpress.com/

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Baldrik

Baldrik scratches his beard.
    "Well, a stable, and for a gold piece. This place is rather exclusive, I daresay."
    He eats and drinks with good appetite though, and also finds some coins with which to pay for the stay.

"By Kord, I sure hope there's some work to be head in Jarlsgaurd, my purse is getting a bit slim these days." He sighs. "I would even do business with that barkeep, if it pays the rent." Looking at Carver, he adds: "And so should you, before you clean stables or dishes. You never know, what's been there."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Carver

"Well... it does have some interesting people here. Plus I imagine there are expenses and such to consider... orks have to eat and it might be that not many people stop here."

She shugs and once the group heads to the stables, she looks at the place and takes her wand out from a pocket.

"Now then, I think I shall demonstrate to you all why us Eladrin do have reason to boast for our magical prowess."

With a flourish, she points to the nearest bit of filth on the stable floor and the slightest wave of her wand a whole cubic foot of muck promply vanishes in a puff of lavender-scented smoke!

"With... just... a... wave of my magic wand
    our troubles will soon be gone!
    A flick of the wrist and just a flash
    will vanish away vermin, mites, and trash!
    Banishing blemishes, stains away...
    washing up wood and fluffing up hay!

Cleaning up cobwebs, chase away funk
    Drive away drafts and mask away muck

And hang-up hangovers.... in case we got too druuunk!
    "

The fey sings and dances a little as she fires off shots of cleaning magic, sending puffs of sweet-smelling smoke to vanish away the gunk and slime in the stables while digging out even the toughest stains and blemishes!

Within a few minutes, a good sized part of the stables are made as clean as one would expect in a kings court (though being a stable, its obviously not quite as well decorated) and the hay so affected is soft, dry, clean and warm. With a final wave, she sends the wisps of smoke out the door, leaving the regular air inside... though since only a portion of the stable was cleaned in this way the musty smell from the animals manages to drift over again.

"See? No need to get our hands dirty!" she breathes a little heavily, not really used to cleaning out so much at once. She blows off the tip of her wand which was still smoking a bit.

She takes a moment to see to her horse, brushing it a little to make sure its okay... then after a jolt of memory decides to check on Dollar as well, brushing him a little and magically cleaning his teeth, hair and clothes if need be. After that, she gives herself some cleaning.

"Anyone else need cleaning before we get some sleep?" If nobody answers then she says good night to the others and vanishes in a puff of stardust.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using prestidigitation to clean up a good portion of the stable for people to sleep in.

Then, stealthily fey step up onto the rafters and lay down to go into trance. Uses a prestidigitation to make sparkles appear when she teleports.

Stealth [to keep them from noticing she's on the rafters]: (1d20+7)[21]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Varis

Varis picks out a relatively clean looking spot and sits down with his back against a wall, he unsheathes his scimitars and lays them across his lap as he slowly closes his eyes and drifts into a restful state, but still partly aware of his surroundings.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Elodius

With a grunt of disapproval at the Eladrins frippery Elodius settles down in a corner with a small pile of hay which had not been cleaned. On the way over he grimly gestures at the air aboves the object of his offense.

A small black raincloud dourly drizzles illusory rain on the sickeningly cheerful creature. "Pardon if I rain on your parade" he chuckles, "But you'll be getting a nasty surprise when all that filth comes back in an hour." He plops down into the haystack. "It's better just to adjust to it now than end up buried under it later."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm working on the assumption here that Prestidigitation can only be used to Color, Clean or Soil a cubic foot of material for One Hour. I think you were mixing your effects by turning it into smoke. You can Clean something, and you can make smoke. But those are two effects. So in reality the filth should be coming back in an hour.

And the cloud is the Prestidigitation Illusory image effect.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-07 at 01:09 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

OldWizardGuy

Malaethim

The other Eladrin remains in his seat as his more magically-trained counterpart sets about cleaning the room. Curious as to what "business" the Orc was referring to, he decides to wait until he finishes with this Rayne character. Don't know about you lot, he says to those who begin heading for the stables, but my purse is a little lighter than I'd like and that Orc sounded as though he has a proposition. I'd like to hear him out, and it seemed like he meant to talk to more than one of us. Once Carver pulls her vanishing act, he scans the room in an effort to locate her. He doubts that someone in a dive like this would have access to such powerful magic that they could move more than his kind's innate teleportation abilities would allow.

Spoiler
    Show
    For S's and G's - Perception - (1d20+6)[21]

Just barely managing to find her, he cracks a smile. A clever trick, cousin, he says to Carver, But I'm not sure there's anyone here you need to impress with such theatrics. Come back down and hear out this inkeeper's proposal with me. After all, by your own admission you could use a few more coins as well.
    Last edited by Nahal; 2009-02-07 at 03:20 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Night Passes on Miserably, and although the dirt comes back, it seems much more bearible than before.

Eventually the ork comes in

"So Tell Me Lads, What are a bunch o Misfits like yourself doing up here? And you looking for work? I Got Something, Maybe, For the Right, People, some cash to be made. "

The Ork looks arround uneasily

"Myself, I'm a bit of a Son of History you know, There be a place not so far away, forgotten a bit. I had a companion, but my Companion he made me a few promises, that he would go there, and retrieve a few objects of value, but he never came back."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Baldrik

Baldrik watches the Eladrin with some amazement, but declines comment, and, when the dirt reappears, mumbles: Momma was right, stick to the work of your own two hands.

When the Orc returns, the dwarf eyes him suspiciously, but waits patiently to hear what he has to say.
    When he finishes, Badrik looks at him thoughtfully, and says:
    Actually, I'm looking for some kind of work, to keep this hammer busy and myself out of the cold. So, if this place is within reach, and the items are not too dangerous to possess, I'm your man - if you've got the money you promised. By that I mean I want to see it before I go. After all, if the place swallowed your companion, I don't want to go there on a promise and a handshake.

After making himself thus clear, he inquires:
    So, what kind of place are we talking about? And what kind of valuables?

9. - Top - End - #39

DruidGuy

Varis

I too am looking for work, my pouch is much lighter than usual and seems as though your offer is the best one I have at the moment

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Carver

Carver notices with some surprise that the dirt had come back... that never happened back home. Guess this place must just be naturally dirty.

However, having spent her nightly trance on the rafter above, she really didn't have to worry about the dirt below anyway. Once the others wake up again she simply teleports down to the floor again, brushing herself off after a fairly good nights rest.

To the orcs offer, she thinks about it. If his story is true then either that other person ran into trouble retrieving the items... or they did get those valuable items and just ran off with them. That or this is some kind of trap... not like an orc who works with a huge tiefling and an ogre would randomly send travelers into death traps for fun and profit.

"I suppose I could use the coin, though danger and peril aren't exactly my favorite things. What are the details of this job you need?"

Spoiler
    Show

Insight [to see the orcs motives]: (1d20+2)[16]
    History [to recall what a Son of History is]: (1d20+8)[15]
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Ork smiles his hot breath raising a small amount of frost in the cool air.

"Good, Good, good to see we are on the same page. The Job itself is to a mine to the east of here, It was recently uncovered by the quarrying, but they are staying out of it until the city has time to send in an expedition to clear the area of monsters, check for valuables and the like. "

The Orks smile widens until eventually you can see the slug of silver replacing one of his back cusps that only god knows where he lost the tooth.

"I got a Map here, I think there is a catch of tapestries and rugs in there. Not anything that is easy to sell unless you know the right people. I dont know anything else about it really however, that's why im sending you folk rather than going myself. "

And I'd be willing to hire you, I don't know for the stunning sum of 10 gold pieces, and I'll let you stay in the barn and see to your animal and wagon for as long as you care to hang arround.

But tell me now, Im a bit of a amature historian, as they say in the good circles , what brings you here to Giantfall.

OOC, For Carver: For those of you who used insight, The Ork seems to be honest, or at least not lying outright. He Also seems to be fishing for some information or phrase from you.

For Those of you who used history, The Sons of History were a tiny rebel faction in the ancient human empire who near the end of the fall of that empire, attempted to save what they could for prosperity, although they were often seen as robber's , thieves , and scoundrels, at the time. They are often contrasted with the largely patriotic Daughters of Destiny, who while opposing the Sons of History, are ironically largely lost to it.

12. - Top - End - #42

OldWizardGuy

Malaethim

Spoiler
    Show
    History check for funsies and determination of RP: History - (1d20+10)[20]

I too would call myself an historian, friend, Malaethim says to the innkeeper, but I am son only of a city whose name I doubt you've heard. Still, after what I've seen I believe the Sons were unfairly maligned. Were I in their position I would have done much the same. He concedes a small and slightly bitter chuckle before he continues. I can't speak for the others, but I doubt you'd believe me if I told you the full story of why I'm here. Don't suppose you've heard of Faldwythra? Suffice to say I'm hoping to both improve my own skills and join up with a couple of fellow would-be heroes in search of fame and glory. His tone shifts slightly, becoming more businesslike. So you're just wanting us to salvage the tapestries and carpets, or anything of historical significance?
    Last edited by Nahal; 2009-02-07 at 10:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

DruidGuy

Varis

Varis listens intently as the orc finishes his story and asks what he was doing in Giantfall.

Spoiler
    Show
    History roll for fun :(1d20)[3]

I'm no historian but I have picked up a few things throughout my lifetime and I can't say I disagree with what the Son's were doing based on what you have said. As to why I am here, simply seeking a challenge, I need to better myself so I may avenge my people on those who destroyed them!

Varis replied, emitting a low chuckle to himself, thinking how the orc in front of him was one of those which he spoke about.
    Last edited by LittleCarp04; 2009-02-07 at 11:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Elodius

Having wandered in shortly after the others Elodius thinks this is a fine time to contribute. "All I want to know is this. Will I get to kill something in the course of this?"

He looks up at the rest of the party. "Preferably something evil and deserving, of course." he adds sheepishly. "I wish to practice and perfect my craft more than anything else."
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-08 at 12:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Baldrik

Baldrik listens attentively to the Orks and his companions' words, before he speaks himself.
    I know very little of history, I'm afraid. But I've got a broad back, and can help get the rugs and stuff here. Ten gold pieces seems alright, provided we can keep everything else we might find in that mine, apart from the rugs.

He then shrugs and adds:
    As for my being here, it is more coincidence than anything else. I travel where I hope to find employment. It's not an easy life, but it suits me just fine. Better than digging all day for a measly grain of gold here and there.

At Elodious words, he laughs, and claps the wizard on the back.
    Alright, young man, that's the attitude. Improve yourself over the bones of someone who deserved what he got. But keep an eye out, others might be looking to step over your remains.

16. - Top - End - #46

Dollar

Dollar finds a sufficiently soft pile of hay and settles down for the night. Even by morning he sleeps soundly as the ork offers the group a job and the others talk among themselves.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Ork gives the closest one of you, the map, and then pulls out his coin pouch, and counts out, a gold coin for each of you.

"The other 4 gold when you get back, and maybe a few extra if you get the tapestries back without damaging them and quickly"

The ork , sits and stops a second, seemingly pleased with himself. Before responding to a few of the more obvious questions.

"The Tapestries and such are important, important enough that I have a few buyers lined up, All you really need to know I think. Their just tapestries but They will travel better if you dont mess with them. They should be already bound for travel, and have the markings like on the backside of the map. "

The Backside of the Map has some runes, which say "For last King of the Human Empire "

"As for Foes, Dunno. I expected my companion to come back, This really should only be a milk run, but here you are, and here he aint. If you find sign of him, let me know. As for the rest of it, anything you can haul out is yours. "

Major Quest: The Tapestries 600xp

Bring the ork innkeeper, the correct tapestries

Minor Quest: Trustworthy? 100xp

Dont Open the Tapestries

Minor Quest: Companion Affairs? 100xp

Find out what happened to the Ork's Companion

Minor Quest: Whoz Zhat 100xp

Find out the Ork's name

OOC: The Map shows a location perhaps a bit more than half a days walk out. Also, If those of you with the personal quests, Want to formally write out your quests, I would appreciate that. A Major quest should equivalent to the xp of an encounter of the level its purposed to be completed at , A minor quest the equivalent of Defeating one monster of the level its purposed to be completed at. So pick the level when you want to solve your personal quest, and whether it is major or minor to your character, and I will more or less use it. Probably keep it one major and one minor quest/character or something like that
    Last edited by Logos7; 2009-02-08 at 12:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Baldrik

As far as I'm concerned, we have a deal, says the dwarf. Expect us back by tomorrow.
    As he begins readying his equipment for the expedition, Baldrik wonders what things might infest an abandoned mine in these lands.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dungeoneering roll (+2) (1d20+2)[6]

19. - Top - End - #49

Elodius

Elodius grunts what basically amounts to an affirmative answer and goes back to pondering the coming task. He racks his brain to see if he can dredge up any tidbits about the area they are going to, any threats in the area, anything at all really.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll for Dungeoneering and Nature.
    (1d20+7)[19]
    (1d20+7)[19]

20. - Top - End - #50

DruidGuy

Varis

Varis agrees to the orcs request and studies the map trying to see if he knew any of the trails or recalled anything about the terrain they would be traveling.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[14]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Everyone, having more or less agreed to the Orks Mission watch him leave and resume what little is left of your night, thinking about the prospects of gold, might, magic and fame.

You all get up early, in the cold morning air, and eating a surprisngly thoughtful breakfast packed for you with tender orkish care, head out .

The Walk, is long but not particularly hard, arround midday you find the deerpath that leads to the recently opened cave. You can see where the dwarvish quarry work has caused a cleverly hidden worked wall to crumble inward. Without the crumbling you doubt you could have found it.

Talking amongst yourselfs , you have some idea what to expect.

Dungeoneering,

Probably the biggest threat you will face today is a stray animal or bear that has wandered into the area and has forgotten how to get out. Cramped and Hungry makes even timid animals into deadly adversaries.

More exotic fair may include goblins, or undead, or even as Baldrick helpfully points out, the eternal bane of dwarvish construction, Oozes.

Nature,

Varius finds and followed the road here easily, and notes a few others, most of them animal trails but also a hidden footpath that you feel may be used for smuggling.

Elodius knows that it is used for smuggling

The Entrance to the tunnel is big enough for a man to squeeze threw, althought it quickly opens up into what seems to be a largish room of strangely carved stone.

OOC Who wants to be Point/Line when I am making discriptions, and if you take a particular marching order please let me know. Also for the record offside and side are going to refer to the monsterside from the point/line character and the not monsterside respectively.
    The Point/Line Character should probably not be a striker, as they tend to move arround a lot.

If you have questions on how this is going to work, we can take it ooc.

22. - Top - End - #52

Elodius

Elodius quitely inserts himself into the middle of the party, which is generally the safest place to be. Unless of course some harebrained engineer designed a trap that only goes off after the third person crosses it. (Which dungeon designers are known to do)

Spoiler
    Show
    My recommendation for party setup is

(Back) Varis, Taclord, Carver, Elodius, Dollar, Baldrik (Front)

That way we have a meatshield on either end, and the soft wizardy center.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-02-09 at 11:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

DruidGuy

Varis

After they reach the opening, they discuss how they should proceed.
    No surprise, the human wants to be in the middle of all of us, for we are nothing but stepping stones for him...

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah agree with Limos, but the back usually is less action :P

24. - Top - End - #54

Dollar

In his former life, it was rare for Dollar to get more than an hours sleep at a time. Suddenly being able to sleep for so long causes him to be essentially dead to the world. For the first time in years, he wakes up naturally, stretches and yawns, then decided to stay in bed longer.

Finally getting out of bed, he learns of the job from overhearing talk. He isn't sure about it, but if he's going to be an adventurer, he has to stick with Carver. She seems to know what she's doing.

Dollar stays close to Carver during the Walk. Reaching the Hole in the Wall, Dollar breathes deep and decides to head in first. He lights a torch and easily climbs through the wall, into the stone room. Inside, he peers around looking for anything out of place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the sleep addiction, I guess I'm projecting myself a bit
    perception - (1d20+5)[16]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Halfling slips threw the crack in the stonework easily, dropping into the large room, which he would guess to be about 30' by 30' and have a ceiling that seems to disappear into the gloom, but if you had to guess maybe 25 feet.

The Tomb is built or carved out of the granite of the mountainside, the light reflects off the exceedingly fine grained crystal that runs threw it. The Room is mostly bare but has elements in its design that remind you of the walls of Fort Giantfall.

There is a large doorway ahead , wide enough for 4 men abreast of each other. There are Iron Bars bolted across it, but the wood itself seems to have dry rot, and seems barely capable of supporting the Bars let alone repelling anyone.

As Dollar approached the doors, the wood and metal convulse into the rough approximation of a mouth, and say in a booming voice that can be heard well outside ,

IX NEE MhaAAL CHIS, QHACK Le Fo, BERR.... and the door itself collapses under the strain of the magic mouth spell and is destroyed.

For those who speak giant
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guard Well Your Right, Ward you left and Press ....

26. - Top - End - #56

Dollar

Dollar stumbles back from the door and watches it collapse. He walks up to where the door was and sticks his head and torch through the doorway, looking down the hallway. After a few moments, he ducks back and helps the others through the hole.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception - (1d20+5)[13]

27. - Top - End - #57

Elodius

Elodius is puzzled by the strange shouting from the hole and looks around at the party. Noticing something missing he turns to Carver. "Hey Sunshine, I think you've misplaced your half-pint" he says with mocking solemnity. "Perhaps we should go in after him? With that he slips into the cavern.

Once inside he peers around and then flicks one hand open, rolling his Crystal sphere out of his sleeve. "Illuminate" The sphere bursts into light and illuminates the cavern.

Spoiler
    Show
    I enter the cavern after Dollar and use my Light Cantrip.
    Roll for Dungeoneering and Arcana to examine what is left of the door. Roll for Perception to notice anything else in the cavern.

(1d20+7)[13] Dungeoneering
    (1d20+9)[12] Arcana
    (1d20+2)[15] Perception

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Carver

As Dollar slips into the hole, the Eladrin calls out. "Don't get too far ahead, and be careful what you touch... not all dead folk found in tombs were buried there."

As she hears the booming voice and enters the room to see the collapsed door, she checks the room for magic or traps. Pulling out her wand, she remotly pokes at any suspicious looking stones or objects, even scraping aside the crumbled remains of the door.

"What happened?"

[spoiler]
    Arcana [detect magic]: (1d20+11)[28]
    Thievery [find traps]: (1d20+5)[7]
    [spoiler]
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Baldrik

Baldrik squeezes his bulk through the crack to join the others. Looking around the room he waits for dollars answer, ready to tackle anything that threatens the party.

This doesn't look like my people built it. I'm getting the impression that this orc didn't tell us the whole story. We had better be careful around here. As for you, little one, don't slip away like that again. You want us around if anything goes wrong.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quickly more or less everyone is in the entrance to the tunnel.

Gathered around the ruined door, you look and prod, but do not find much of use.

The Tall Passageway Leads on into the dark gloom, From what you can see with light, it looks as if the passageway has statuary on either side, but they are too far off in the murk to see properly.

Carver stares in amazement at the walls, as she finally figures out how this place was made, The Giants, if they created this place litereally burned a hole threw solid granite, and controlled the fire to create the lonely looking and oddly shaped rooms. You feel it was probably also how they did the walls of the Fort, no mortar was needed as simple giant strength and magic were far supierior.

There are no traps in this room.

Elodius finds some signs of animal life, this place has obviously been open for a while. the Occassional Movement of bats can be heard up above, roosting on the rough granite roof. The Floor is only occassionally splattered with guano and here and there the beginings of lichen appear.

Elodius also knows this place was created by giants.

OOC-

IM going to use Baldrick for my Line, just because I think dwarfs should always tow the line.

Secondly, dont spam Perception checks, its annoying.

HOWEVER if everyone wants to start posting your passive checks with their name it would also make things easier for me.