New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 'We live, as we dream — alone ...' [In Character]

Wherever I Lay My Helmet (That's My Home)

Spoiler
    Show
    The Orlan Helmets are detachable, and, though they might not be very graceful or elegant, they come with their own oxygen scrubbers and sealing.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

Wait....these things are rated for re-entry, correct? If necessary, we ride the drop pod in and then abandon it once we hit atmosphere.

*Glances over at Brother Egar*

If we can find one of our fallen brothers, we may be able to convince the machine spirits to help you continue the fight.

As he speaks, he searches through the supplies.

I suggest we limit ourselves to gear we have been trained in. Personally, I've been trained with Las pistols and Rifles, all forms of Bolters, and normal Flamers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Have we found any fallen Brothers in our searches?
    Last edited by Krrth; 2009-03-09 at 06:52 PM.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

Novare continues to open up the crates and pass any relevant pages over to the Chaplin. Once all the orlan crates have been opened he moves onto to gathering the other crates and slowly organizing their contents based on weapon types and combat roles. Chatting over the coms as he works, "The drop pod location was passed to your-" The knight cutting himself off as he finally shifts his gaze to the Librarian, helmetless.. hard to see any graphic overlays passed to his suit. "Right, I'll lead you there.."

The knight gathers himself back up, flicking his gaze to the medic and chaplin, "Using the pod as a lead in to a high altitude jump sounds.. near suicidal if we don't start training with those suits very soon.. But we do have another resource.. once we have those suits we could explore the other portions of the ship, the only fear is becoming targets, but we may be too small of targets to draw attention. Either way.. I'll be back momentarily.."
    Last edited by DarkNewton; 2009-03-09 at 07:21 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gevurah nods as the Daemon Hunter exits.

+Right, lets organize what we can find here and then strap on a couple of these suits and see if we can't get a basic enough understanding of them.+
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    Awesome sigitars by Abardam and Mysticaloctopus
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

The collaborative homebrew setting I'm working on: Nutopia

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Brother Librarian Lucius Egar

Lucius walks to the suits and fiddles with one of the helmets and twists it off to allow it to come off. He examines the helmet and than fits it over his exposed head. He activates the oxygen scrubbers and breaths deeply and looks at the grey knight.

lead the way.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

6. - Top - End - #126

The grey knight leads the way through the twisted hunk of metal that used to be the coms tower, "You spoke of fools and punishment when last I saw you, heading after the chapter master" Novare begins as they make their way through the ship, "Being as my debriefing never really happened, what was revealed in the meeting, and also the Chapter Master's hasty exit.. did he reveal some other assets defensive or otherwise before the attack?" the knight less concerned with politics as he is practical matters.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Brother Librarian Lucius Egar

Lucius grimaces under the new helmet at the reminder of the foul conference which had cause him to be in this tight spot.

The meeting is not of your concern and it may be best if you do not know. As for the chapter master he is attempting to block any psychic powers from being used on us while we attempt to get away. He is also sending a message to others to tell of this attack.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

To Arms in Minnow

Spoiler
    Show
    The boxes are a Space Marine's Saturnalia goody bag - not the most opulent one, nor the most varied one, but the presence of so much ordnance is satisfying. Between the remaining crates, you quickly acquire the following summary:

'approximately two hundred bolt rounds, twenty inferno shells, thirty tabs of anti-radiation medicine, ten ration packs, a full hundred las-charge packs, three Anoxis Pattern 'Stingray' rifles - lasguns adapted to work in the microwave as opposed to the visible spectrum - a melta cutter, and five demolition packs.'
    There are some other munitions lying about, but they're either in the process of floating out into space, or they don't seem to be massively intact. The fact that the artificial gravity inside the ship seems to be cutting out intermittently doesn't help.

Spoiler
    Show
    Difficult (-10) agility check to grab some more ammunition and equipment out of the air.

The Orlan suits are not very easy to put on, and their unresponsiveness is truly horrific compared to the liquid ease of Astartes power armour. They are sluggish to react, their integral reactor fields keep bouncing you off walls whenever you turn round quickly, and when you try to engage in fine manipulation, it always seems as if some enormous slab of metal, or an inopportune control panel is in your way. Nonetheless, a few decades in power armour are better training than one might expect to wear an Orlan suit. The left hand includes a trackball and scrolling wheel that angles the plasma torch, and causes it to flare. A few experimental pushes on the wheel will confirm that the plasma torches are abundantly functional, causing you to smash into walls, ceilings, and floors.

Spoiler
    Show
    No pilot skill is required to use one of these suits - you can maneuver about (albeit with some penalties) the ship as normal. The plasma torches, which you'll only really need to worry about once you get out, will power you very quickly in a direction opposite to wherever you point them, and have so much fuel that you might as well treat it as limitless, but watch out about pointing them at someone ...
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2009-03-11 at 10:35 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129

"Interesting.. So that was the whole of the Chapter Masters plan? Cover our escape and call for he-" Novare casually responds pausing as he forces his way through lazily powered hatchway, finally reaching the powered down Drop-pod. ""Here we are." gaze making a quick sweep of the bay, "Call over coms if you need any assistance, also be aware that if you hear a double coms tap it's a stealth contact" a glance this time at the shiny dome of the orlan helmet he wears, "I'll also make sure to keep an eye out for a real helm for you" With that the knight turns and begins to make his way back towards the armory.

10. - Top - End - #130

After the fourth bulkhead collision Gevurah gets a handle on the plasma torch maneuvering and begins stripping off the bulky EVA suit. He plucks the melta cutter from the deck and straps it snug next to his backpack. Soon sevral extra magazines of bolt pistol ammunition are secreted around various armor compartments and tabard pouches, followed shortly by a pair of demo charges.

+Preparation for all contingencies is an act of veneration to the Immortal Emperor; The Codex Astartes, Canto IV, Verse XIII+
    He makes an Aquila as much for his benefit as anyone else and spins along his axis to face the Salamander.

+So, I jump for the ammo you catch me if I miss?+
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2009-03-22 at 10:58 PM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

If you wish. Try to grab some fuel for the flamer, if you can.

12. - Top - End - #132

+Right then...+

The chaplain coils his legs beneath his body and springs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    28 to beat: (1d100)[87] of course not

+Oh by the Throne!+

The chaplain flails comically as he shoots clean past a promethium tank.

+Alright... um, If you could grab me before I have an unintentional reentry. How about grabbing one of those containers for the EVA suits and using it to scoop up the floating munitions?+
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2009-03-11 at 02:10 PM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

Attempting to catch the now Aptly named "Space" Marine...

and goes flying right past him...

...This does appear to be a problem....

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll to catch (1d100)[82]
    Last edited by Krrth; 2009-03-11 at 02:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Floating into the Night

Spoiler
    Show
    The two Marines have begun a slow drift out of the broken half of the ship - Constantine at a somewhat greater speed, given his attempt to rescue Gevurah, making them the third and fourth space marines to engage in a little light space-walking today. Orlans, regrettably, contain no magna-boots - this might be a good time to field test their maneuvering capability, however.

15. - Top - End - #135

Making his way back into the armory, Novare pauses head cocking slightly to the side as his gaze settles on the pair of marines playing in the zero G space, letting out what could almost be a laugh, which is only made slightly eerie through his armor's filters. "Part of the documented training exercises I take it?" the knight scans over the organized pile of weaponry as he heads over towards the pile of EVA suits. Carefully stowing his halberd the grey knight begins to gear himself up in one of the bulky Orlan suits.

16. - Top - End - #136

Gevurah would be glaring if his helmet weren't frightening enough. He extends an arm to counter his spin and hangs dead still but slowly drifting away.

+Chuckle all you wish, seems I'm given to ironic scripture quotations today. One of you please grab me before I turn into a heavily armed ceramite meteor.+
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

To no one in particular....

I'm beginning to think that the lack of jump training could be a liability here...

With that, he tries to engage the engines and catch his brother....

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's try this again...(1d100)[19]

18. - Top - End - #138

Gevurah's sigh is turned into a predatory growl by the suits augmitters, but in space no one can hear you being relieved.

+My thanks Constantine, one moment...+

He reaches out of the safety of his box and snatches the promethium tank.

+Hah! One down.+
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

"Tempered will and purity alone will bear you through to your goals" Novare quotes, "Chaplain Durendin would drill into us as we trained.. " a he makes a motion to the Chaplain, "A reflection of the man I see in you, for I could always picture him being able to simply dive headlong at that planet.. and emerge victor-" Cut off as he rockets forward into the empty crate the Orlan was packed in. The Marine-Orlan powered crate shoots across and smashes against the bay wall, bits of packing material now littering across the knight who struggles to distangle himself from the remains of the crate.
    Last edited by DarkNewton; 2009-03-11 at 08:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

My pleasure Brother. Now lets....Oh dear Emperor, watch out!

21. - Top - End - #141

The chaplain watches the daemon hunter's antics with as much amusement as one can muster when they are one of the few survivors of a meeting that discussed the sundering of the Imperium and hurtling around a decaying orbit in a holed comms tower.

+You honor me. I wish I could make a similar compliment but I am afraid that few of my mentors were wont to do anything reminiscent of bouncing off bulkheads in zero-g. Although there was an incident when Brother Lios tried bull rushing an eldar mannequin during a live fire exercise and took it's torso with him clean through one of the exterior walls of the kill house.+
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142

Tossing scraps off of himself Novare pulls himself upright "Prehaps I should have spent more time reading the ops manual." Attempting to familiarize himself with the controls again he shoots forward a half dozen feet before arcing upwards to clang against the half ceiling of the armory. Floating just below the ceiling he is motionless for a moment before a few controlled bursts spin him almost like a plate on a stick as the knight experiments with the controls. The motion is crudely halted, leaving the knight drifting towards a wall before a few more measured bursts slowly turning and presenting the Olan-mounted knight facing the Armory platform and gradually glides downwards to land with a slight screech on his feet again. "I think I have the basics.. " the knight turning and hopping off the floor with a few controlled bursts the knight begins to scoot around the platform gathering in any floating crates and much like a zero-g bulldozer drives them back towards the armory entrance to allow them to be inspected and inventoried as well.

Spoiler
    Show

Check to see if he notices the distant Faust floating out in the void seperating the com tower and the rest of the convoke
    Preception - (1d100)[71]
    Last edited by DarkNewton; 2009-03-11 at 09:04 PM. Reason: fixing my screwed up ensligh

23. - Top - End - #143

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[93]26 to beat

Gevurah is scanning for any crates the knight-dozer might have missed when a bit of flotsam gets impossibly stuck in his helmet's eye socket and he has to spend the better part of a minute trying to pry it out.
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2009-03-12 at 12:45 AM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

I think we all need a little more practice. In any event, let's try and get everything we need and what is that? It looks like one of our brothers. I'd better try and get him.

Constantine maneuvers over to catch the last floating marine.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception roll (1d100)[29]
    Last edited by Krrth; 2009-03-12 at 07:34 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145

Gevurah may have muttered something about "scatter brained salamanders" as he lept clear of the container just before Dae spins around to chase down what is most likely a floating corpse.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[78]

And he manages to smack into the deck plating and bounce right off.

+Tail Feathers of the Primarch... Novare, help please?+
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2009-03-12 at 09:04 AM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146

"Enroute" Novare chirps quickly over the coms as he flips his Orlan around and corners around some debris to head towards the floating Chaplain. Attempting to stop just before the chaplain the Knight.. mostly does. his forward momentum being just enough to be about equivalent to a extremely slow moving headbutt where the Chaplain to just sit still and not reach out and hang onto the Knight. "I guess we'll find out real quick if these Orlan units are visible to the enemy below, or to the ones approaching" making a motion towards the Apothecary that has ventured out into the larger Chasam. "He is beyond my ability, to either predict or prevent at this point." The knight watching for just a few seconds before turning the unit and making a rough scrambling landing on the platform near the other Orlan equipment.
    Last edited by DarkNewton; 2009-03-12 at 12:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

+Indeed+

Gevurah gets back on his feet and heads up towards the Orlan he had been wearing before his ill thought out leap. While pulling the parts into place he eyes the knight.

+So, where were you during the Convoke?+
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2009-03-12 at 06:38 PM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148

"Being toyed with by the Relictor" Novare unlocks and then shoves the control arms of the Orlan down and out of the way to allow him to move somewhat more freely now to gather up the gear that the marines had stopped from drifting off. "A game I assume he felt he had to play to ensure that Faust and I took the evidence his crew found seriously.. As he, probably correctly, knew the convoke would not listen to him" pausing from his work he picks up one of the modified lasguns, taking a few moments to study the design changes, "He showed us the ancient remains of Demiurg exoarmor, and the evidence that I presented to the convoke itself" placing the gun back in the stock of supplies he returns to the work of gathering up the equipment, "A curious fact that I haven't made fit yet, is that after briefly talking with Librarian Egar, it seems that I was not actually brought here to participate in whatever this meeting had been about. I wonder if it was not the Relictor who had cause to have me summoned alongside the rest of you, which makes me wonder how far in advance he knew something was wrong here.." Pulling the control arms back up and locking them back into place, "But all of this is a curious problem.. As we speak a Chapter Master is somewhere in the ship around us, sacrificing himself to call for help and shield us all from some unknown force.. This is a puzzle I doubt any of us will fully see.. The only real things I can feel certain of is that we need to make planetfall and reach the source of that blast before the force behind the Mirrors does"
    Last edited by DarkNewton; 2009-03-12 at 07:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Approaching Pavonis Mons by wrecked starship

Spoiler
    Show
    Despite all the low gravity shenanigans, and the ensuing departures from the ship, no beams of charged, all-destroying light make themselves evident in your general direction. That may be because you are too small to resolve on its targeting resolution, or it may have something to do with your altitude - as you fall, you can actually feel yourself begin to fall. It's imperceptible, but gravity is gradually beginning to become apparent - not the 'grainy' feel of pseudo-grav plating, but something much more solid and tangible entirely - the planet is pulling you in.

Spoiler
    Show
    The last few posts ... I'm loling at the mental image. Short post because of this.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

Grabbing the floating marine, Constantine heads back to the ship. When he gets there, he grabs supplies after setting the marine down.

Here you go Brother.

Once somewhat steady, he checks to see if the marine is still alive

Spoiler
    Show
    Grabbing fuel, a grenade or two, one of the las guns, 1 ration pack, 3 anti-radiation tabs, and 10 power packs. Is it possible to find either a sword with a mono edge, a power weapon, or a chain weapon? And if so, which?