New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: The Lost Empire

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default The Lost Empire

Devis Drake
    Windharbor City has proved a trying place for you. No one prevented you from passing through the gates, but you have been studiously avoided ever since, as if you had some terrible disease. Finding accomodations would have been difficult, but the high priest made arrangements for you to stay at the home of one of his spies in the city, a rattish man named Smitt. It was Smitt that originally sent word to the high priest of the expedition being formed to locate, once and for all, the City of the Ancients and determine what fate befell them. He tells you to contact a scholar named Lavrus, a professor of history and language at the Royal University who originally proposed the expedition.
    "The doddering old fool." Smitt snorted, when he was explaining the situation, "He's the trusting sort, though, and you'll have better luck convincing him of your credentials. Lord Montavalo, the financial backer...well, he's a dunderhead in his own way, but he's more suspicious. The wealthy always are."
    And so, the next day, you find your way towards the the University. Students and faculty alike shy away from you, but you are eventually pointed towards the offices of Professor Lavrus. He does indeed look the part of, as your colleague described it, a doddering old fool. Although clearly human, you could easily believe he had lived an elf's age. His hair and beard are pure white and slightly frazzled, and his robe is several decades out of fashion. He appears to be quite near-sighted, as he seems not to notice your unusual appearance in the slightest. He happily natters on at you about his work and his theories about the Undrians, that they had discovered a miraculous new source of magic that could revolutionize the world, only they had not developed the technology to contain it, that even so, they were far more advanced than many of the countries even today, and that he's extremely excited about the prospect of finding out once and for all what exactly happened. He invites you to stay and meet his benefactor, as well as some other adventurers he is expecting who would be considered for the expedition. You accept, and soon, others begin to arrive.

Lex
    Adventurers Wanted. That's what the parchment posted on the meeting block outside the building said. Enquire with Professor Lavrus of the Royal University, extensive travel required. In a way you're intrigued. City life has never appealed to you, but the countryside has become more and more perillous and it's dangerous to be alone in the wilderness with the war raging across the land. It would be nice to get out of the city for awhile, even better with comrades and the prospect of a reward. It would at least be an interesting diversion, something to get your mind off of these nagging worries you've been experiencing lately. You enter the University and are soon pointed towards Professor Lavrus' office, a small dusty room filled with books and objects of uncertain proveinence. Sitting in the room is an old man who is talking animatedly to another man who appears to be very ill indeed.
    "Can I help you, young man?" the professor asks, squinting at you, "Ah, you've responded to my advertisement, have you? Well, come in, come in, sit down. My benefactor will be here soon, but we can have a good natter in the meanwhile. Now where was I, oh yes..."
    He continues on where he left off, something about a lost empire and an artifact, you're not quite sure you understand. A third man enters just a few minutes later.

Herod
    The Royal University is among the largest buildings you've ever seen, and it literally swarms with students. They seem to be primarily the children of the elite, here to learn music or history or one of the many arcane sciences, but you can pick out a student of magic here and there. You've been trying to arrange a meeting with someone in order to show them your manuscript, but with little success until today. You recieved a note this morning from a Professor Lavrus, who seems particular excited about your manuscript and asked you to attend a meeting. You flag down a busy, harassed looking woman carrying a stack of codices and she points you towards Lavrus' office. You arrive there to find the professor, an old, kindly looking man, talking to another man that takes you by surprise. You aren't certain, but he seems to be very, very ill. The professor doesn't seem to notice at all. A third man, seemingly normal, sits quietly nearby, listening.
    "Ah, and you would be....Harry? Harold? Harod...that's right, Harod. You've brought that manuscript of yours, yes? Well, sit down, sit down. Let's have a look."
    He points you to a wooden chair next to the strange, ill-looking man. The professor takes your manuscript and begins to read through it carefully, squinting at the print with his nose nearly touching the page. He suddenly rises, gathering up the manuscript.
    I've seen passages of this before. Just a moment, I must go retrieve something from the library. Talk amongst yourselves."

David Bowler
    You've had a run of good luck lately. Work has been coming at a decent rate, and you're finding the city to be a lucrative place, away from the worst of the surrounding warfare, but still a hotbed of political activity. Recently, through you connections, you've come into the employ of a wealthy noble named Lord Montavalo. The jobs are by an large easy. A little intidmidation here, a little subterfuge there. But the summons you recieved today sounds more serious. You meet Montavalo at his estate, a large, richly decorated house in the wealthy district of the city. He is young, only a little older than you, and dashing. He fancies himself a romantic hero of sorts, and so he dresses as if he himself were about to embark on an expedition, although the reality his only explorative ventures have been in the closely manicured hunting parks of the Niremian nobility.
    "I have another job for you." he says as you enter his luxurious, dark wood paneled office, "This one will be a long one, perhaps dangerous, but you will be more than adequately compensated upon completion. I'm funding an expedition to uncover the lost Undrian imperial city. One of the professors at the University has some interesting new theories, but I'm more interested in the artifacts. Do you realize how much just a small trove of real Undrian artifacts would fetch? Not to mention it could only improve my position at court. But you know how these academics are...all books and theories and no common sense. I want you to go along on the expedition, both to smooth the way a little and keep an eye out for my interests. Keep the others in line. If that means that one or two don't come back...well, accidents happen on these long journies, don't they? If you perform adequately, I will see that you rise with me."
    He smiles, rises from his desk and places his hat on his head.
    "Now, let's go see what manner of adventurers out dear professor has picked out."
    You arrive at the university and follow the noble up to a small, dusty office, in which there are sitting three other people, some very odd looking people to be sure. Your employer seems to be somewhat irritated.
    "Where is Professor Lavrus?" he askes, the assembled party.
    If training is easy, then winning will be hard. If training is hard, then winning will be easy.

Those who live by the sword are usually shot by those who don't.

<-Wonderful Avvie by Bisected8!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Lost Empire

Devis Drake, The Cadaver

Devis sits, impassively, waiting and quiet. His hood is drawn back, revealing his dead features for all, and privately he revels in the distress of the others gathered in the office. Around his neck is the crossed, curved-blade symbol of the feared Taker of Souls. His leather breastplate is dyed black, studded with matt-black rivets, and a pair of kukri are tucked into his belt.

"The Professor is elsewhere," he speaks. His voice soft, sibilant and threatening, though it is at odds to the vivacious smile on his lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheet & Mechanical Stuff
    Character Sheet
    AC: 15 / Flat Footed: 15 / Touch: 9
    Max HP: 64 / Current HP: 64
    FX:
    • Energy Resistance (Fire) 5
    Last edited by Grail; 2009-02-10 at 10:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Herod

Herod is a slightly stern looking human for his age. Dust covers his gray and blue traveling gear, but it still seems to have an intangible glow around it. A silver cross inside of a circle with a sword through it dangles from his neck, and the clothing around his left shoulder seems frayed from something. Upon entering the room, he eyes Devis suspiciously before taking a seat somewhat apart from the corpse.

Herod considers revealing the circlet he had found and divined its powers, but that may be a bit premature. Even he hasn't been so bold as to put it on yet.

When the two newcomers arrive in the room and ask a question, Herod calmly but confidently adds after Devis, "He's finding something related to a writing I've recently discovered."
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Lex is quiet, mind clearly elsewhere. In part his thoughts linger with Maralla, waiting patiently outside the University. He hopes no-one tries to steal her. Not that they'd succeed in taking a very loyal, remarkably fierce and exceptionally stubborn wolf anywhere it didn't want to go, certainly not one the size of a horse - it was just that trying to get her to let go of someone who'd annoyed her was quite a task, particularly at present. She too had seen the moon, and seemed a little spooked.

Absently, he fingers the holly wrapped around his wrist. Sensing his agitation, a thin reptilian head snakes out of his armour, then curls around to rest on his shoulder before rising up. A forked tongue tastes the air, and sharp eyes survey the room. ”No fear, little one” murmurs Lex, stroking him absently. ”Distant thoughts, quiet dooms, though I wonder about this winter.” The viper’s eyes fix on the figure in black, and the tongue tastes the air once more. Apparently satisfied, the viper vanished back within the armour.

His mind brought back to the present by his companion, Lex smiles slightly. That one is an oddity. Despite looking rather... dead, as far as he can tell from the figure’s movements he is remarkably healthy. His allegiance may be something of a concern however. Lex will have to be watchful.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

David Bowler

The man behind Lord Montavalo is dressed simply; a dull gray shirt with a raised neckline covered by a simple olive-green vest. His cloak is nondescript and weather worn, the color fading near the bottom and stained by constant contact with the city's cobblestones. Even his dull blue eyes, which might be charming were they anothers, blur into mediocrity among his facial features. Everything about the man, from his quarter-inch tawny hair and clean shaven face to the carefully hemmed edges of his khaki slacks, scream careful consideration and diligence.

He leans forward in a measured motion, his head passing just to the side of Lord Montavalo's, and you catch sight of a dagger in a sheath running the full length of his hip. You can't be sure, but it almost seems that he purposefully drew back his cloak as he moved. He whispers something into his lord's ear.

Spoiler
    Show
    "The professor is either very trusting, or very foolish, to leave three adventurer's alone in his office. Were I in their place, there would be nothing of value left in the room."

Leaning back, David holds his position slightly behind and to the right of Lord Montavalo, making a calm survey of the room, but even he can't stop a small start from passing through his frame when he sees the man in the dark leathers. It's not everyday that you see a walking corpse, and from the look on David's face, it seems that he would prefer the dead to stay just that. He seems much more interested in Herod, staring perhaps a little too long at the symbol of Saint Cuthbert hanging from his neck. He will have to keep his eye on that one. His attention snaps to the final adventurer as the viper slithers out along the third man's shoulder. He can't help but comment. "Wonderful animals. Efficient. Deadly. Poisonous, if I'm not mistaken?"
    Last edited by PrivatePlatypus; 2009-02-11 at 03:51 AM.
    PbP characters:

6. - Top - End - #6

Devis Drake, The Cadaver

"Devis," the dead man says, holding his hand out, but not expecting it to be clasped in the sign of friendship.

"I take it that you are our mysterious backer, the coin behind our efforts?" he intones in his soft yet firm voice, directing the query to the well dressed man. "Please do tell, what is the interest in this quest? And, are we the sum of this venture?"

If anyone takes his hand, the grip is firm, but not overly strong, nor is it cold and clamy as one would expect. The grip, other than the fact that the skin feels looser, softer, is as any other mans grip would be.
    Last edited by Grail; 2009-02-11 at 05:21 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Noting the long, suspicious glances flying across the room, Lex shakes his head inwardly. It was going to be an interesting journey. Perhaps it would be different when they were in the wilds, and their choice of company was between each other and whatever walking death stalked in the darkness. The long winter would be driving many predators to desperation, and that’s just the natural ones. Who knew what vile aberrations of nature walked unseen.

The city man’s words impressed him. Vipers may not be exceptionally rare, but it was encouraging to note that at least one of his apparent future companions had actually spent some time outdoors. ”Indeed. This one’s learned now that we don’t bite friends, but teaching him that was... interesting. On the plus side, I’m pretty much immune to most viper poisons now.” He raises an eyebrow as a spider begins attempting to scale his face. With a small smile of genuine joy, he gently cups the spider, depositing it on the wall. ”He serves as a pretty efficient deterrent against night-time thefts. He knows I’d prefer it if he didn’t kill, so I tend not to get too many awkward questions, though it’s still a little odd the first few times you wake to find someone splayed across your camp, their hand still in your bags. Of course, now that my camp tends to feature a horse-sized wolf, the rates of attempted theft have gone down a little. I hope no-one’s gone and annoyed her while we’re apart. ”

Another spider steels itself before attempting to scale his face. This is apparently quite normal. It appears that he could continue to ramble for quite some time, but he restrains himself as matters turned slightly more towards business.

8. - Top - End - #8

Herod

Noticing that he had caught David's gaze, Herod shifts slightly in his seat. The lustrous holy symbol sinks away from view and Herod turns to speak to David.

"I'm sorry, is something amiss?"

Trying to remain casual, he turns back to a more friendly line of discussion. Ignoring the spiders, Herod continues the conversation regarding animals.

"I'm sure no one will be so foolish. One of my best friends just happens to be a hawk. While not quite as intimidating, a second set of eyes can mean all the difference. I should commend you. The ability to not turn on friends is a rare gift, not even possessed by most humans."
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

David

David smiles politely at Lex, looking slightly to his side as he does. The man is obviously a talented storyteller to have told a tale about a horse-sized wolf with such sincerity. Still, it was a wonderful jest, and from the looks of it, successful in slightly alleviating the cold atmosphere of the room.

As the man in gray and blue addresses him, David shakes his head slightly side to side. Crossing his arms across his chest, he tilts his head back, his eyes cast towards the ceiling. After a short pause, he speaks. "And Saint Cuthbert said unto them, 'Guard not the sins in your heart, as the sheppard guards his flock, but admit them freely and with regret, for repentance is the root of salvation.'" Finishing with the quote he lowers his head in thought, before again shaking it slightly side to side. "I'm afraid I haven't done it justice. I remember there being another verse, although it escapes me now. It has been many years..." David trails off towards the end of the sentence, staring at the empty air roughly 10 feet in front of him.
    Last edited by PrivatePlatypus; 2009-02-12 at 02:47 AM.
    PbP characters:

10. - Top - End - #10

Herod

At this point the tension in the room couldn't be cut with a knife. You'd need some kind of axe to slice through the ice. Very few people outside the church would know the first half of the mantra. Even fewer would know that it's missing the other half. Either the Brotherhood had assembled a compatriot to work with him, or more likely, he knows.

"It's quite refreshing to meet another person versed in the teachings of The Cudgel."

Leaning towards David, he closes his eyes slightly making a barely distinguishable half glare.

"Righteous is the fire of redemption. Its flame lights the higher path and exposes the wicked. To house the fire is to lead the world to justice. This is the word of St. Cuthbert."

"No, my friend, you do the words of Lord Valhaer justice. I believe what I just said is the missing verse you spoke of."
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

David

David's face brightens at hearing the second verse, missing the subtle undertones to Herod's speach, or perhaps ignoring them. "That's it, bless you! I recall a former colleague being quite fond of it, although I haven't heard it for years. It's a strange thing, the priests of The Cudgel here in Windharbor weren't able to recite the second verse for me..." The smile drops off his face as he returns Herod's icy glare. "It's good to meet another who shares the faith."

Looking away, the smile returns as David reaches up and sheepishly scratches the back of his head. "Thank you. To tell you the truth, I was beginning to think that it might all have come to me in a dream."
    Last edited by PrivatePlatypus; 2009-02-12 at 03:49 AM.
    PbP characters:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Noting the unspoken side of the exchange and mulling over its possible significance, Lex sighs inwardly. It looked to be an interesting journey ahead of them.

"Well, it seems we won't be short of things to talk about. We can speak of justice and mercy"

He strokes the viper's head which has materialised in his lap

"of light and shade, of life"

He raises an eyebrow at the figure clad in black

"and death."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive - (1d20+5)[11] to try to understand something of what underlay the conversation between David and Herod
    Last edited by davidthespecial; 2009-02-12 at 09:33 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Lex
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are only able to detect a few words out of the whispered conversation, but it doesn't seem out of place for a noble's aide to offer advice.

It seems that David and Herod share a common religion. You aren't familiar with the teachings of the church of St. Cuthbert, but perhaps it is some peculiar ritual the followers of St. Cuthbert do to test each other's knowledge of the faith. Or perhaps their just engaging in a pissing contest, you're not sure.

"Yes, I am providing the financial backing for this enterprise. I am Lord Montavalo of the House of Trymes." the noble says, his expression cryptic, but he seems to be annoyed that the professor is not in residence, "If you'll excuse me, I will send a port to go find Lavrus so that we can begin this meeting." He turns and leans towards David, whispering as he passes, "Find out what you can about them, especially the plague-ridden one." With that, he sweeps dramatically out of the room.
    Last edited by Attack Amazon; 2009-02-12 at 04:49 PM.
    If training is easy, then winning will be hard. If training is hard, then winning will be easy.

Those who live by the sword are usually shot by those who don't.

<-Wonderful Avvie by Bisected8!

14. - Top - End - #14

Devis Drake, The Cadaver

Devis shrugs when nobody takes his hand, he expected it, but still this was a tense way to begin a venture. "Well, I have given my name, if we are to be traveling together, it would do us well to at least know what to call each other," he spoke measured, calmly.

"I will start again, my name is Devis. As to death my dear fellow, is it not merely part of the natural order of things?" He asked, nodding towards Lex. "Now, Undeath on the other hand, that is a matter all together different, and not even remotely natural."

His laughter was warm, even sincere. His one good eye never blinked, though, looking directly at the worshiper of St Cuthbert.

"You have nothing to fear from me, I am here to assist as best I can, to make ammends for some past deeds committed by my faith. To redeem them if you would. What is the Cudgel here for?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

David

As Lord Montavalo passes, David gives a terse nod in acknowledgment before turning his attention back to the adventurers. He listens politely as Devis speaks, waiting until he finishes to take a step forward and place his left hand across his right breast, bowing his head slightly. "David. I am to represent his lordship on this expedition." Raising his head, David takes a moment to glance between the three men, a somber expression on his face. "I have been granted great liberties in executing my duty, but will aid you all so long as you serve him faithfully."

His introduction out of the way, David turns immediately to business. "Lord Montavalo would have me know more about each of you, if you are to work for him. Although, I don't think it fair to ask so much of strangers." Reclining against the wall, his eyes again focus on the empty air in front of him, apparently lost in thought. With a snap, they refocus and he leans back to an upright position. He draws a deep breath. "I have been a watchman most of my life, in Windharbor and elsewhere, specializing in the methods and mannerisms of thugs, burglars, and assassins. About a year ago my skills caught the attention of Lord Montavalo, and I have been working for him since." He exhales what little air is left in his lungs, relaxing noticeably. "There. Now we are no longer strangers."
    PbP characters:

16. - Top - End - #16

Herod

Relaxing somewhat in his seat, Herod matches the eye contact as a matter of respect for the person, or body, talking. Devis' talk of redemption and coming back to set things right seems to have put Herod slightly at ease. There is more to Devis than just a walking pile of decay.

He gets up between when Devis stops talking and when David starts to look out the window to check on something. That bird really enjoys a daytime soar.

When silence once again fills the room he feels it his time to speak, still looking at his familiar out of the window. "The church isn't actually involved in me being here. Consider me concerned about recent events. The manuscript you saw me hand the professor I found on the remains of a Vecnaite. As much as I shed few tears for the minions of the god, I can't shake off the feeling there's something at work."

Herod turns around to once again face the other adventurers. "My name is Herod. Some call me an elementalist."
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Lex Heedera

"But why is undeath unnatural? I have been taught this, but who truly has the authority to decide what is and isn't natural? At what point does nature become un-nature? Surely natural things are the things done in nature and by parts of nature, and both we and the power which fills us are as natural as the earth and the sky."

Lex shakes his head slightly. "So you see, I don't see things as that simple. I am Lex. As I'm going to assume you've guessed by now, I walk the druidic path, or at least attempt to. The gentle summer rains, the wild forests, the winter frosts: these are as much a part of me as my hands or my face. But you have no need to fear - I won't be walking around as a primal force of moral panic, rebuking people with problems enough for being 'unnatural'."

He smiles faintly, eyes fixing on the spider which, despite almost falling many times, has now reached the ceiling and is busy building itself a very beautiful web. "In these dark times, our people tear themselves apart, winter comes early and harsh and the Witch Moon tells of darker things to come. In these times, a faint and flickering candle of mercy and compassion standing alone against the howling winds and the oppressive darkness will shed more light than a thousand zealots with their shining armour and eager swords." Angry eyes stare into space.

With a laugh, Lex breaks himself out of his own spell and returns his gaze to the group. I assume it's my job to stop people falling in ravines, or wandering around in circles in the middle of nowhere. I'm also a reasonable tracker, though I'm not sure how much that'll come up. I confess, I'm largely motivated by money. The church of Pelor never has enough, and is struggling to cope now that there are so many in need of healing. While I don't directly represent the church they do have some interest in our endeavour."

Hmm... our benefactor and the elusive professor are taking their time. I hope Maralla doesn't start to fret. He smiled fondly to himself. Hopefully she'd found a small child to entertain her. Somehow, the sticky hands of an adoring toddler reduced the proud huntress to a month-old cub. Oh well. May as well make use of the time. "Have any of you had much experience of living in the wilds?" he asked brightly, his glance taking in the whole group.
    Last edited by davidthespecial; 2009-02-19 at 10:59 AM. Reason: I have too much free time, clearly...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

David

David shakes his head from side to side. "Never for an extended amount of time, only in passing from city to city. My work keeps me near civilization." Realizing they may be waiting for some time, David walks deeper into the office, passing around the back of the professor's desk. He gently lowers himself into the man's chair.

"A mage and a druid..." he scoffs slightly before turning to Devis. "Am I the only one here without extensive magical training?" Leaning back in the chair, David reaches into his cloak, producing a large gold coin. Rolling it between his knuckles, it seems to disappear as it reaches the outside edge of his hand, reappearing back between his index finger and thumb. He repeats this several times while looking between the door and the other men in the room.
    PbP characters:

19. - Top - End - #19

Devis Drake, The Cadaver

"If it makes you more comfortable, David, know that I spent my life as a soldier and never once have I had any training in the art of magic." Devis smiled, parting cracked lips to reveal startling white teeth behind.

"I would like to see a swordsman amongst us though, for recently I am no longer a man-at-arms."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Lex Heedera

"Oh well, I wouldn't worry. You can recognise a viper - that puts you far ahead of some. I stumbled across a group who had apparently forgotten to pack enough supplies for their full journey, and were relying on the forest to provide. Despite the fact that none of them could hunt. Four days eating ants and nuts may have put them off of exploring the wilds in future, I fear." He grins, amused by David's tricks. "I don't suppose you juggle? Learning to do that would have been of far more use than most of the things I studied - we poured over 'Fairchild's 14,000 fantastic folk-remedies', and in the end the only use we found for it was as a means of proving that just because something is written down, that doesn't make it work."

He turns to Devis. "No training? I had assumed you were a cleric, given your dress - are you not?"

He grimaces slightly, not quite sure how to proceed. Eh, it was going to come up; may as well ask now. He lowers an arm towards the floor, Ystrees slithering out. "Heel, seek" he whispers, pointing at the door. Ystrees slithers over and coils itself, tongue flicking and body alert. Lex closes his eyes for a moment, and appears momentarily distracted when he next opens them. He turns back to Devis.

"I'm not quite sure how to ask this, but as I'm a healer I really need to know: what exactly are you? Ystrees found nothing amiss with you - so are you still human? Will spells and herbs affect you as they would me?

Spoiler
    Show
    Ystrees has scent, and since I assume the air is fairly still inside the building will be able to detect a presence within 30ft, and be able to alert us if, for example, someone is lurking outside.
    Lex has expended one use of wildshape to give himself 6 minutes of blindsense 30ft, so that he too can pick up people approaching while still facing the group.

21. - Top - End - #21

Devis Drake, The Cadaver

Devis gently brushes the back of his hand against the symbol of the Taker that hangs around his throat. A smile parts his lips again, and his one good eye closes as he studies Lex, the self-proclaimed Healer.

"I am human, yes. Nor as you have discovered am I ill. Indeed, a healer should recognize the signs of decomposition, the signs and palor of death, for dead is what my body was.

"What do you know of The Taker?"
    he asks, serious, the smile fading from his face, his eye(s) stern and his voice calm, measured yet strong and fierce.

"Do you know that he allows no soul to return? Yet, here I am. No, I have no training, this is true. I just have the touch of divinity; for as long as my Lord so wishes."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Lex Heedera

Lex meets Devis' gaze, equally fierce. "I know some. I know of the Harvest. This year past, someone somewhat unintentionally gifted the Taker with a soul they hadn't intended. See, they tried to kill the daughter of one of the patients at a small temple. Maralla likes children. It was messy."

He shakes his head a little. If he let his mind drift, he could still smell the blood. It was about all that had been left once the wolf had finished.

"I could not follow your Lord. But then, it seems change is coming. So I have hope." Lex smiles a little. In spite of his allegiance Lex finds this man strangely pleasant company, for the time being at least. "Indeed, you said that your faith sought to make amends for past deeds. May I ask to what you were referring? Your church may seek to turn from parts of its past, but where is it turning to?

23. - Top - End - #23

dead game?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm being hopeful, but my optimism is being slowly strangled by tendrils of continued absence. *shrug*