New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Treasure Hunters

The rain is begining to fall harder around you as Mount Duran comes into view through the budding trees. Spring was late coming to the this part of the contininent, but it proved beneficial as you travelled the last few days. Your mind pours over the strange letter that mysteriously found its way to your pillow and the stream of emotions ran through you once more.

Dearest (insert name here),
    * * * * I am sure you are amazingly startled by receiving such a letter in this manner. I do apologize, however, I can not post this proposal on some random wall in towns or halls. This is something no person should know about, I dare say even you. I need someone with above average abilities to retrieve several items for me. As vague as I am, I can not disclose much more to you without a contract of agreement. If you wish to learn more on this matter, come to my humble abode at the foot of Mt. Duran on the 23 day of this month and all will come more clear. Please bring this seal as acceptance.

You find your fingers grasping the small seal, feeling the small indentations of the "V" symbol. Ahead, you can make out a clearing as the tree suddenly give way to the foothills of the large, snow-capped peak towering above you. The closer you come to the clearing, the easier it is to make out, what looks like, a small camp with a fire pit and several tents bundled together on the ground. You move carefully to investigate at a safe distance until your heart drops in your chest.

Moving quickly, you dart to the closest large tree (or other suitable cover) to hide yourself from the watching eyes from the creature ahead. Peering around the side, you look carefully at the beast perched on the far edge of the camp. Two large eyes blink slowly on the over grown lion carefully seated. Its tail flips casually, and you get a sense the this beast is waiting for something....or someone.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Treasure Hunters

Ivan Vel

To say Ivan had been singleminded in pursuing the source of this note would be an understatement. The whole point of sleeping in a pocket dimension was to avoid this sort of thing. Of course, anyone who could take a note to Banter's skull could be a potent ally. Even if it was another trap, though, it was worth investigating just for an opportunity to kill whoever-

Ivan quickly shakes off his initial mindset as he realizes that there's a camp in view. He starts slinking in, gesturing for Banter to follow at a safe distance. He could tell it wasn't a normal lion. Awakened? Construct? Illusion? ...The patron? It would certainly explain the vagueness of the letter.

He wasn't sure if he had been noticed yet, but intended to take advantage of the creature's apparent ignorance. Pushing an illusion spell out of his mind, he gestures in a manner typical to a prayer to Vecna as he concentrates on discerning auras in the area.

((Lose Dancing Lights to spontaneously cast Detect Magic divination.))

3. - Top - End - #3

RogueGuy

Pyrite Truestone

Pyrite travels down the path slowly, barely noticing the rain bouncing off his skin and sluicing through the channels and cracks within it. A quick glance at Pyrite would leave the viewer with the impression of a large person-shaped stone slowly walking down a path with a strange assortment of armor and bags covering it.

Under the poorly fitting armor, which was clearly being taxed by being strapped to the stony body in ways that its creator would have never imagined possible, a quiet, but very very deep, song can be heard softly.

"Pyrite take a walk to da mountain,
    Pyrite take a walk to da mountain,
    Pyrite not sure where he go,
    Pyrite not really know,
    But Pyrite still go to da . . . . . MOUNTAIN!"

ooc - I never said he was singing a good song.

Pyrite observes the lion for a moment, his craggy brow creasing in worry and confusion.

Pyrite has taken no notice of anyone else in the area and while he is attempting to hide, his plan of standing behind a tree only gives the aperance of a large boulder behind a too-thin tree.

After a few moments Pyrite's eyes brighten! He has figured it out. Pyrite walks out from behind his tree towards the large cat and calls out.

"Hello large kitty, Pyrite greets you! Did you send Pyrite strange note? Do you need Pyrite's help? Pyrite is good at helping. Pyrite has heard of magic animal that are extra big and can talk. Are you talking magic kitty or just big kitty?"

Pyrite will attempt to approach the cat and shake it's hand . . . paw . . .
    Last edited by DJDeMiko; 2009-02-10 at 01:59 PM.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azain

Azain pulls his cloak tightly around him against the intolerable rain. He has half a mind to walk straight in to the camp, grab a tent and dry off, lion be damned. Whatever the letter's writer has to offer had better be good.

Crouching behind a stone, Azain calmly scans the clearing and its perimeter, watching and listening for any sign of movement.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide (1d20+2)[19]
    Listen (1d20+11)[16]
    Spot (1d20+11)[26]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Hazir Quickfingers

Hazir had honestly hoped that the note would be a normal business proposition, despite his common sense pointing out the suspicious circumstances that the note had arrived. But he'd needed the money, the challenge and the reason to get out of a town he'd been living in for too long. The long trek and the following rain had done nothing but dishearten him.

The lion, of course, is an unexpected, unwelcome surprise. He immediately drops to the muddy ground behind a generous thicket of trees, peering between them at the cat.

He gapes as he watches the man-giant approaches the lion and speaks to it. He presses himself further into the dirt and looks around for any other creatures, maybe the people the camp belonged to (If they aren't in the lion's belly, Hazir thinks grimly).

Spoiler
    Show

Hide: (1d20+10)[26]
    Listen: (1d20+0)[10]
    Spot: (1d20+0)[20]
    I'm in the Player Registry.

COMMISSIONS -- open; PM me for prices and details. Payments done via Paypal.

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

6. - Top - End - #6

Ivan

Your fingers bend slightly at the end of the spell as the magic evoked works its course. Your eyes seem to warm slightly as you take a slow blink. Opening them, you look onto the world in its new, gray scale color hue. With a steady sweep of the area, you settle onto the campsite checking out the different item there. however, none of them flash with the hint of magic. Though, you are astonished to find that a stranger sight to be seen comes meandering from the wood where you stand. 9see below about a big ass rock creature walking to the lion)

Pyrite

You can see that the lion is not afraid by your large presense like many of the other smaller creatures who run and hide from you. In fact, the closer you get, the more you realize that this lion is just as tall as you are. As you talk, you could swear the cat smiled as is sees your hand outstretched.

A calming voice enter your mind, "I am glad to see that my presence does scare you as it has many in the past. Tell me your name traveler. I believe that I am here waiting for you."

As the voice fades from your mind, you can see the lion try its best to wrap its paw inside your craggy hand.

Hazir & Azain

The two of you, almost in unison, tuck and roll yourselves in - what you feel- are suitable positions to watch the scene unfolding before you. In fact, the same gaps of air comes from both of your mouths when you see the goliath in the clearing shaking hands.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Warren

While the trek had been very long, and the weather had done little to help, Warren retains at least some enthusiasm.

On reaching the edge of the treeline and seeing the lion, he takes a few seconds deciding how to respond, before edging into the lion's field of vision, remaining some distance away, and keeping Sparks within arm's reach. He also looks around the area, hoping to see if there is anyone else around.

The lion appears domesticated, and staying in view allows him to gauge it's reaction to him as well as the gargantuan figure who had just approached it and tried to engage it in conversation.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azain

Satisfied that the enormous beast is not hostile, and that no one is waiting in ambush, Azain shows himself. He takes a few steps into the clearing, retrieves the letter's seal from his belt pouch, and holds it forth.

9. - Top - End - #9

RogueGuy

Pyrite

Pyrite does not seemed at all concerned by the voice that no one else heard.

"I Pyrite Truestone, great warrior and smasher of enemy! If you have enemy that need crushing, Pyrite is your Goliath! You need many-headed dog beast destroyed? Pyrite will be there for time of need! So what you need Pyrite for?"

Pyrite seems uncertain for a moment, as it dawns on him that the lions mouth never moved.

"Hey, Cat, how you talk without mouth? That neat trick. Pyrite could use it at party to impress lady Goliaths. Can you teach Pyrite?"
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Ivan Vel

Ivan maintains focus on the spell, trying to discern the nature of the magic surrounding the brute. He didn't seem like any sort of spellcaster, so it was probably a magic item... A weapon, judging by the creature's build. Ivan gave Banter a glance, almost mouthing the words they were spoken so softly. "Attend me."

It was enough for the skeleton, which began walking toward Ivan at a leisurely pace to contrast its militaristic posture. Ivan then turned his attention back to the pair in the clearing, wondering what the brute was yammering about.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Hazir Quickfingers

As he watches two other people approach the lion, who is clearly on friendly terms with the man-rock, Hazir can't help but feel a little disappointed about not being the only one to have been contacted for the mysterious job. Still, a group could mean a quest (very well paid, though much more dangerous than the average job) and he always appreciated a tough body to hide behind.

After first suppressing the effort to playfully sneak up behind the lion, he gets up, straightens his cloak, dons his hood (for a satisfying air of mystery and professionalism) and quits his hiding place. He walks into the clearing with soft steps, a little way after the dwarf and the... demon?... the creature with the skeleton.

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

12. - Top - End - #12

Pyrite

As you speak to the large, lion, you can see his head shift to the side with an inquisitive look on its face. It blinks slowly and looks away from you for a moment to the woods around you.

The voice comes to you again, "I am not your employer, I'm afraid dear Pyrite. I am simply the guardian of these woods, and this mountain." His eyes shift to look to the peak that towers well above you.

From behind you, Pyrite, the sounds of leaves giving way to someone's legs, and the crunch of twigs below feet can be heard. Turning, you find a stout dwarf that is least half of your size, and an even smaller creature on the back of a dog walking from the forest with the same symbol you have in your hand. Something about the smell of this dwarf seems familiar to you.

As the dwarf presents the symbol, you can both hear a calm voice com to you rears (this is the same voice of the lion), "Yes, you will indeed need to present these symbols to me. However, only when the entire group has arrived." The lion peers past the two of you to the woods with a deep sniff of the air, "It would seem that there are some still hesitant about exposing themselves." The lions large yellow eyes focus and relax as it speaks without moving its lips once more.

As you begin to enter the clearing, Hazir, you can see the lion turn to meet you. A calm voice enters your mind as you see the lion look you over completely, "Hello, human. please do not be afraid. Come and meet your new companions." The lions eyes turn back to the goliath, the dwarf, and the halfling. Suddenly its eyes narrow as it looks to the wood beyond all of you. With several intense inhales, the lion's voice returns to your heads, "There is something....unnatural in the woods...something close by...you should be wary travelers..."

The lion continues to take deep breathes as it looks about into the forest. You can feel, also, that the rains are subsiding slightly. In the distance, you can hear a few birds chirping as if to signify the passing of a storm.

13. - Top - End - #13

RogueGuy

Pyrite

Pyrites large stony eyebrows raise in confusion "Expose himself? Pyrite not expose himself? Momma say only bad Goliath expose himself in public."

As the rain slows, "Unnatural? You want Pyrite kill unnatural?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Ivan Vel

"I'd prefer that you didn't, big guy. Whether the lion's referring to my ancestry or my familiar I'd be at a noteworthy loss if you were to do so." Ivan steps out from behind the tree, dismissing his concentration on the spell as he looks around. He licks his teeth as he examines the others who have entered the clearing, and Banter comes up close behind with the seal in its bucklered hand. At its master's indication, the undead holds up the seal for emphasis. "Plus, you'd be at a loss as part of the group."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Warren

Satisfied that the animal is friendly, and holding the seal in front of him, Warren approaches the lion and the huge figure, remarking:

"I guess this may be a good point to introduce myself. I'm Warren and this is my friend and companion Sparks." Warren gestures towards the striped blue lizard following him, which draws itself up onto its hind legs. Even then, it is still less than half the height of the goliath.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2009-02-13 at 01:41 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Hazir

Hazir sheepishly produces his seal.

"Would it be too rude to ask who... our employer is, then?"
    he asks the lion.

With a playful flourish and a friendly grin, he extends the hand not holding the seal towards the halfling. "Hazir Quickfingers: sneak-smith, opportunist and occasional pacifist, et cetera. Always pleased to meet more of the small folk."

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azain

The dwarf's face breaks out in a grin as the others emerge into the clearing. After working alone for so long, it will be a welcome change to have some allies by his side. As an introduction, he pulls from his belt pouch a small stone with his name chipped upon it, and shows it to the group.

He turns to the lion and gestures toward the tents inquisitively, shaking raindrops out of his slate-gray beard.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Looking at the human, Warren takes the offered hand and replies:

"It is a pleasure, Mr. Quickfingers. I hope you don't mind if I remain mounted for now."

Remembering the lion's warning, Warren places the seal back in a pocket, wondering whether the lion was referring to this skeleton, or to something else, then quickly forms a thought in his mind, projecting it gently towards the fragment of his own consciousness embedded within his companion.

Spoiler
    Show
    I ask Sparks if she can see or hear anything from the forest.
    'Spot Check' - (d20+4)[17]
    'Listen Check' - (d20+4)[20]
    (both of these are for Sparks)
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2009-02-15 at 08:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

The lion shakes his head slowly as you offer your arm, Pyrite. His head motions toward Ivan as he steps into view. The lion stands from his seated position, showing the full height of his back and a scar that runs the width of his large frame across his ribs. Those paying close enough attention to the lion can see how slow is to stand completely, giving you an idea to his age.

Moving to the tents, the voice enters your head once more, "I would say that is not rude to ask, however it is also not my place to say at this juncture. The Master likes his introductions to be on his own accord, and I have no doubt in my mind that he will want to speak of himself more than I."

He begins to paw at the piles of tents, trying to move them away from the fire pit they rest near, "These are for you to use this evening, as it is getting too late to travel through the mountain's inner workings." He looks back to you Azain, as if to answer the unspoken question."Come tomorrow, a guest will be here at our camp to lead you through the mountain to the apex where you shall meet The Master."

Taking in three long breaths of air, and a few quicker flips of his tail, the lion's voice continues, "I would recommend a fire throughout the evening to keep any unwanted guests at bay. The forest has grown darker these last few weeks, and I fear it may not be safe for much longer." The lion's voice trails in your mind, leaving a gap for the unknown to filter in.
    Last edited by tape_measure; 2009-02-16 at 05:23 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Hazir

He makes a quick round, introducing himself to everybody much in the same way he introduced himself to the halfling -- though he speaks very quickly to the slightly terrifying demon man, doesn't offer his hand to the rock man, and comments to the dwarf "You're a quiet one, aren't you?" He passes between each person without waiting very long for a response to his introduction, as he is more eager to choose a tent close to the campfire.

As the lion's voice finished echoing in his head he says, "Well, I know I'll be looking forward to seeing more friendly faces come the morning, Sir Lion."

He looks around into the dark forest surrounding the clearing, gritting his teeth and grinning. "Ah... Should we know what are some of the more dangerous creatures this forest holds?"

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

21. - Top - End - #21

RogueGuy

Pyrite

Pyrite happily introduces himself to everyone, not seeming to even notice being slighted by those unwilling to shake his hand.

In general many of you will get the impression that he is a friendly, but dull-witted, person. He also offers to help people with there tents.

"Pyrite Truestone happy to meet!"
    he says, "We are team now, coworkers, peers, compatriot even! Pyrite glad to have team, many people not want to work with him."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Ivan Vel

"Banter and I feel the same, Pyrite." Ivan smirks a bit as he shakes the goliath's hand, then tells Banter to do the same if Pyrite tries to shake hands with the skeleton. The tiefling then gives the lion a glance and a toothy grin. "Especially that part about others not liking to work with us."

Ivan glances towards the fire, then towards the woods. The tiefling licks his teeth, then raises his right arm halfheartedly. "I'll take the first watch. Who wants me to wake them up so I can get my rest?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Warren

Warren is dismounted now, so nearly everyone else in the camp seems gargantuan in comparison. He is generally quite friendly to anyone who approaches him, and also quite enthusiastic about the adventure.

Hearing the tiefling's comments, he replies "I could take the second watch if you'd like."

24. - Top - End - #24

RogueGuy

Pyrite

"Pyrite can take . . . . errr,", Pyrite says and then holds his hand in front of his face. He points to the first finger on his right hand and says "one" points to the second finger and says "two" and then on the third finger he pauses for a moment before smiling triumphantly and saying "lots".

"Pyrite will take lots watch!" he says.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Ivan Vel

"The sentiment's appreciated, Pyrite, but there are only the two watches. Unless Warren is willing to let you take second watch, you get to sleep in." The necromancer glances at Warren, then blinks rapidly in realization. "Ivan Vel, by the way. I think I already introduced Banter... Banter, nod if I have mentioned your name to this group."

Ivan then smirks to himself in satisfaction as the undead nods its head. "I thought so, thought so."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Warren smiles, then offers to shake hands with Ivan.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Ivan. I believe you've already met Sparks.". The horned lizard accompanying him makes a clicking sound, and shies away from the undead, although after a few seconds, it reluctantly stands on its hind legs and holds out a claw, in something resembling the familiar gesture of offering to shake hands.

Turning to Pyrite,

"I'm happy taking the watch, but you can have it if you're really desparate. You could even take the watch as well if you wanted."

27. - Top - End - #27

The rain comes to a complete halt as you move around with the introductions. The lion is also moving about the perimeter of the clearing, but is very well aware of the comments in his direction. He pauses as faces East* and the voice returns to your heads, I, too, have a name. For many years I have been known as Gent to the peoples here.

He takes another deep breathe and turns to face the group, "While I am not pleased to be amongst the undead at any given point in my life, I was not referring to you, or your companion, Ivan." his tail flips violently back and forth, "Though, those of your kin, the demons and devils from the Abyss have been managing their way to this land recently. And that, His tail flips twice more, "Is something that I can not abide in this forest."

Taking in a deep breath, the lion turns to face the group fully and relaxes his posture slightly, "I have also been instructed to keep watch over you while you sleep this evening. The Master wants you at full power for the trek tomorrow, and I have a feeling he means to use your strength.

His large yellow eyes blink slowly, and a sense that his truth, while harsh, seems to be complete and heartfelt.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Ivan Vel

Ivan and Banter shake hands with Warren and Sparks as prompted, but it's apparent his focus is now on Gent. He smiles a bit in knowing that he won't have to deal with too much trouble, but the grin quickly fades as he realizes why. He looks about the edge of the wood, and he begins gesturing and muttering to himself as he casts a defensive spell, just in case.

"So, Gent..." The tiefling reluctantly turns his gaze away from the woods towards the lion, the dismissive manner he had been carrying vanished without a trace. "Any idea what we'll be dealing with on this mission? So I know what spells to prepare, and all that. Definitely want to be prepared if this turns out to be family business... Especially if it involves devils and demons..."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Hazir

"Ah, demons and devils," he says, peeking from the confines of his chosen tent. He looks to the woods again for dark shapes or glowing eyes lurking in the night, and wonders about the usefulness of his traps and arrows against such fiends.

He mutters to himself, "Maybe our mission will involve stealing some priceless dark artifact? Stealing back a celestial, battle-altering weapon? Something discreet, with a lot of hiding and sneaking?"

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

30. - Top - End - #30

RogueGuy

Pyrite

Pyrite seems confused by the intelligent conversations going on. He finds a clear spot to practice his forms.