New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

When the lizardman asks Kovl if he will partake in eating the dead elf and minotaur, the gnome looks at the two corpses and his stomach does a flip. Somehow, the idea of eating that flesh leaves him nauseated.

“I am afraid my stomach would not be able to hold down the meat. For some reason it does not feel right to eat the two dead… you can have my share.”

As the half-elf Valter provides an account of his ranks and exploits, Kovl listens suspiciously.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive: (1d20+4)[10] Gorgondantess, are you rolling for an opposed bluff check?

Not completely swayed, Kovl nonetheless accepts Valter's tale.

"Well, Lord Valter. I hope you are important enough for your liege to send someone to find you."

With that, the gnome leaves the half-elf and drifts towards where the Halfling and the human female are, wondering what they have in mind to do with a piece of wood.
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-02-14 at 04:30 PM.
    When one has no form, one can be all forms.

Trinità Avatar by Mortugg

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

Teira

As she recognized that she was unlikely to gain active help, Teira backed down. "Then do as you wish. You may keep the ration as well; we should plan a meal for tomorrow, and I would prefer you not seek fresher meat by creating new corpses."

As Garret asks for pieces of the tree from the lizardfolk, Teira remembered something - in her excitement over the magical artifacts, she had forgotten to give him her own name. As he returns, she comments, "I completely neglected to give you my own name when you were polite enough to give me yours. I am Teira Feiwright. Simply Teira will be fine." After his question, she responds "I am rather unsure. I am a fair bit larger than you, but we could test it before we lower it into the well."

At the latest claims of the self-proclaimed "Lord Valter," Teira couldn't help but react slightly suspiciously, especially due to the sheer scope.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+1)[7]

Still, he seemed to be speaking honestly enough, and she decided it would not be worth pursuing. It certainly would explain some level of his arrogance if it were true.
    Last edited by Meltemi; 2009-02-14 at 09:48 PM.
    Ruya Perist, Flight from Ironheart
    Teira Feiwright, Lost and Clueless

I am me, you are you.
    We’re totally different, separate persons.
    But even so, what if we have just one thing in common?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Garret Leafgrower

Nodding, he starts to begin scraping the boat, and then, all of a sudden the thoughts come to him. Leaping lightly to his feet, he spins, and turning to Valter, as he reshapes his rod of a shortsword. Pointing the blade at the half-elf's throat, he says "I cut you there, you'll bleed to death, unable to staunch the wound. Give me back my memories, and you won't have to try." He leans back, in a defense crouch, his eyes circling the others, his arm cocked to launch the blade...readied for a battle ungainst persons unknown, with him not even fully comfortable with the blade. Hoping it'll change, he stays readied, waiting for the fop to respond.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Valter gives the halfling a quizzical look, replying haughtily, "I never took your memories. What would I want with them? They're utterly useless to me, and I have no reason not to want you to have them. Put your blade away and do something useful, and stop this paranoid nonsense."
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Garret

Flushing with a certainty, a knowledge that of all of them, he's the only one to retain memories, and such, must be the key. Lunging forward, he stabs at the fop, he defensiveness keeping the blade a bit short. He stands there, warily, shifting from side to side ready to dodge the inevitable counterattack, as he calls out "I'll get my memories if I have to cut them out of you!"

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show

ChargeAttack - (1d20+6)[11] (CE: 4 points.)
    Damage - (1d4)[2] SneakAttack - (1d6)[1]
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2009-02-14 at 10:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

Teira

As Garret suddenly leapt at Valter, Teira rose as well, her hand instinctively seeking a hilt in her belt. As she realized what she was doing, she released it before she could draw the blade, speaking gently. "Garret, this isn't necessary. Or..." She paused. Clearly something had occurred to him, and with that, another thought suddenly came to her. "Why are you the only one here who remembers their past, Lord Valter?"
    Last edited by Meltemi; 2009-02-14 at 10:32 PM.

I am me, you are you.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Valter sighs as the blade skirts off his chain shirt. "You won't listen to reason, will you boy? Would you attack a cripple? I told you that I am a powerful man. I would rather not kill you. Put the blade away, or I shall be forced to." He draws his sword and levels it towards Garret.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drawing thinblade and making demoralize action. (1d20+7)[19]. Finally, a halfway decent roll!
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2009-02-14 at 10:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Valter shifts towards Teira, seething. "Why should I know!? Probably because I have protection against these sort of things. One of my position is required to do so. And what kind of question is that to ask when this boy is attacking me?!?!"

9. - Top - End - #69

As Valter reacted with confusion and Garret suddenly attacked, Teira took a half-step forward. As Valter drew his own blade, she spoke. "Enough, both of you. Garret, I do not believe killing him would return any of our memories. Valter, if you do remember what came before, what do you know of how we all came to be here?"

I am me, you are you.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

If Garret puts away his blade, Valter does as well, looking at Tiera with a monotone expression and replying softly and almost condescendingly: "I haven't a clue. I'm as stumped as you are."

If Garret continues the fight, Valter yells at him, obviously annoyed at the boy's brashness: "Listen boy- if I had your memories- which I don't- killing me would destroy the only way to get them back. Violence is folly."
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the fight continues, total defense action.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Sylvash

Seeing the sudden attack Garret makes towards Valter Sylvash leaps to his feet and makes his way closer.
    ENOUGH!, he screams with anger. We must not kill each other, did I not demostrate that clearly enough when I spared the fop? As he says this he points with his axe at Valter, still sitting on the ground holding his small blade.

By no means do I mind killing, but if you kill him and it turns out he might have been the key to getting back to our lives, then you will pay dearly little one. Sylvash says to Garret.
    Now man, speak truth, do you truly have all your memories?

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive: (1d20+1)[14]Come on decent roll!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Valter glares at the lizardman, annoyed at all the accusations, and still furious at his assault. His voice full of venom, he spits out at the lizardman, "No. No, I do not have your memories. Nor do I want your memories. Nor will I ever have anything to do with your worthless, inane memories. So cease your foolish questioning and do something useful."
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2009-02-14 at 11:02 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

DruidGuy

Sylvash
    I said nothing of my memories! Do you retain your memories and what do you have that allowed you to do so! You must know something of why we are here if you speak true.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Garret

ModifiedLevel - (1d20+3)[19]

Ready to spring again, Garret slowly backs off, to let the lizardman take over. He stays alert and defensive, ready to pouce if need be. He does not believe that killing Valter would be a loss, and is ready to do what is necessary to get who he is back.
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2009-02-14 at 11:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Valter glares at the lizardman, still annoyed. "Yes, I have my memories. All but last night, that is. And as for you, killing me won't get you anywhere. Put away your blade, now."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I suppose I'll have to roll another bluff check. (1d20+10)[23]

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Garret

SenseMotive - (1d20+4)[24]

"Do you? Do you even really remember who you are? What's your favorite color?"
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2009-02-15 at 12:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kovl

Kovl was approaching where the Halfling and the human female huddled over the wood, when the Halfling suddenly leaps into action and threatens the half-elf. Surprised at this turn of events the gnome stands by, observing as accusations fly back and forth and Sylvash intervenes.

Fighting amongst ourselves wont get us out of this predicament… we’ll just end up like the elf and the minotaur. Muses the gnome, though he wonders if Lord Valter is being entirely truthful...

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive: (1d20+4)[20]

... and he seems to be. Though it appears that the Halfling is clearly not convinced.

Addressing the Halfling, Kovl asks curiously. "Why do you doubt him? I have no particular liking for this man, but he does seem sincere."
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-02-15 at 05:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Hex

Sighing in what almost sounds like disappointment, Hex looks over the others gathered. Well, I certainly hope this gets settled soon. Would one of you be so kind as to help me skin that minotaur over there? It seems that whoever I was, I didn't believe in bladed weapons. Right now our best course of action is to rest and preserve energy for the night. Of course, if you feel like dying out here in the middle of nowhere, by all means be my guest.
    His gaze shifting over to focus specifically on the squabblers, Now, Lord Valter, or who ever you are, I don't give a rat's arse who you are or what your title is. In case it failed your notice, we're in the middle of nowhere. Your court is meaningless, as are your trials and tribulations. Like it or not, we're in this together, for now. Another grin splits Hex's face.
    And if you're bound and determined to fight, I'm sure our lizardman wouldn't mind more fresh food for the journey.
    Last edited by Ashen Star; 2009-02-15 at 08:35 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

DruidGuy

Sylvash

This pointless arguing is getting us nowhere. Valter you may have been high and mighty back home, but here you are just the same as us, well except your leg is useless. Sylvash lets out a hearty laugh as he says that.

We need to rest and then come up with a plan in the morning.

As he says that Sylvash jumps in the well again to refresh himself, then climbs out and lays near the downed tree.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Valter ***** an eyebrow at the halfling, annoyed and perplexed. "I am above this. If you don't believe me, that's your own fault, boy. I won't sit through your badgerings. Now go away and do something useful."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Garret

Raising an eyebrow in return, Garret taunts him with "Blue? Green? You can't remember. You're just like the rest of us, just more needy for attention. I will. I'd say the same for you, but it doesn't look like you're to be much good at, well....anything." With that ending barb, the halfling turns, and returns to the piece of wood and Teira, muttering to her "His mouth says one thing, but his eyes betray him. He doesn't remember anything either. Useless fop."

22. - Top - End - #82

Having moved off his pack from Valter's leg quite a while ago and having sat down on the ground, Mordo had remained silent throughout the whole argument.

First Sense Motive - (1d20+11)[21]
    Second Sense Motive - (1d20+11)[24]

((Yay!))

Finally showing any signs of life after Valter's second lie, Mordo chuckles to himself. He begins to draw some sort of sigil in the ground with one end of his ghost spike, unconsciously and without meaning. In a whisper strong enough to show itself underneath all the other angered voices there, but not yet strong enough to add to the cacophony, Mordo speaks out, There were only two things said which were true just now. One, "Lord Valter"'s defense that killing him will not do anything to help us, and two, that no matter who he was we are all on the same level now. Now, he looks up at the group. Everything else is a lie. You are not a Lord, and you still do not have the authority to order us around. On top of that, you keep saying "go do something useful". What are we to do? We're lost in the middle of bloody nowhere trying to find out who we are and how to get back home. You're spouting of lies will get us nowhere but cause chaos among us, and I think you know that too.

I am Mordo Aran, "Warrior King" in Elven. That is all I know, and that is all I have to go on. I suggest we pool our thoughts and think together rather than against each other.
    Now, he turns his attention to Sylvash and Garret. Killing and savagely forcing others to follow you on account of your great strength and combat abilities are no ways of progressing either. For now, we need to put everything away and decide on what we should do, based on the individual's strengths, ignoring bias and anything else which would cause desynchronisation between us. And Valter, if you're bored, find something more useful to have fun with.
    Last edited by Ethrael; 2009-02-16 at 04:21 AM.
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

PM me for Uncrushed Banners

I'm taking a few avatar requests

Come one, show your appreciation with me for The_Chili_God

Sorry about the slow posting, peeps! Exams are starting to hit me...

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Garret Leafgrower

Nodding his head to the shapechanger, Garret responds "I am Garret, Strength of the spear, Leafgrower...which...should be obvious. I don't know what's going on here, I don't care for orders that make no sense, and I just want to get my memories back, and get out of here." Lengthening his rod to a spear's length for emphasis, he then shrinks it back down, and returns to his slow, careful, scraping of the wood.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kovl

Realizing the truth behind both the Halfling’s and the changeling’s words, Kovl looks at the half-elf, shaking his head. Turning to the others, he introduces himself with a small bow.

“A pleasure meeting you both, Mordo Aran and Garret Leafgrower. I am Kovl Faerdin and this is Tiger” the gnome indicates the orange-striped cat besides him. “I don’t know what this place is nor why such a disparate group came together; but I agree that cooperation is the key to getting out of our predicament.”

With that, he glances at where the tree once stood, rubbing his chin musingly. “You found nothing of notice when the tree was whole, correct?” He asks Mordo “Want to help me poke around now? It’s the only other thing here besides the well, so might as well double check there is really nothing to it.”

Kovl sets off to examine the remains of the trunk and, if the soil is loose enough, he’ll have a go at uncovering the roots.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search check: (1d20+13)[14]
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-02-16 at 11:21 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Teira

With the situation defused, Teira relaxed. As Garret and the changeling independently pointed out Valter's lies, she nodded slightly. The changeling then identified himself as Mordo, and as others began to speak their own names, she added her own. "I am Teira Feiwright. I suspect that I was some sort of scholar from the manner of my knowledge, but I doubt any of us here could corroborate such a claim in either case, given our condition." Sitting down near Garret, but not so close as to interfere with his work, she began to take a quick inventory of her supplies, noting in particular her total supply of rations, an ink pen and wells, paper, a bundled tent, and that unusual book, the last of which she carefully kept within the haversack rather than lifting it out. Having completed her check, she withdrew the strange blue cylindrical stone from her pocket. Perhaps it was magical, or perhaps there was some unusual story of the past regarding it, something to explain why she had clung to it even as whatever took their memories struck them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+8)[10]
    Knowledge (History):(1d20+6)[26]

I am me, you are you.

26. - Top - End - #86

DruidGuy

Sylvash

Sylvash bristles as the words of Mordo.

I do not attempt to lead, simply to cease this foolishness and try to accomplish something, now please rest! We will renew our searches after we have recovered some strength.

After resting a short while Sylvash awakens quickly and looks around, everything was as it was last he remembered. He stands and heads towards the well and begins looking for any details about it. Afterwards he jumps in and decides to do a little exploring.

Spoiler
    Show

Rolls:

Spot for well(1d20+1)[20]

Search for underwater:(1d20)[19]

Spot underwater: (1d20+1)[5]

Swim:(1d20+14)[26]

Keep in mind i can hold breath 4x my con (not sure if its score or modifier, but either way definately long enough to get a good look around.

If i find a opening, i want to go down stream for about half of my time, if there is any air to breath i will keep swimming until i find something.

27. - Top - End - #87

Mordo nods, satisfied that his words have their effect. To Kovl, he murmurs an affirmative, Yeah, I didn't see anything on the horizon, and I didn't find anything about the tree itself. Yes, check it out again, you might be more fortunate than me.

As Teira introduces herself then begins her musings, Mordo does so as well. Your knowledge, huh? Do you remember reading anything about a place which matches this description? Something like "Barren Plain With Single Grey Tree and Well"? His attention turns to himself, and he sounds very self-immersed, wondering at what he was.I might have been some sort of assassin, judging from my weapons and...these. He says, taking out one of the numerous vials of poison from his pack. Interesting. Well hopefully my persona as a shapeshifter hasn't changed.

Mustering all his familiar feelings, Mordo uses his Minor Shape Change Racial Ability. He grows about a foot taller, his shoulders broaden and his skin, eyes and hair all take on the aspects of a fair, blue-eyed elf. Yep, still got it. He grins.

Finally, as Sylvash dives into the well, he watches expectantly, waiting for him to return, hopefully with good news. After a while he sits again, drawing in the dust again, hoping for some sort shape to come out which might be of help, something impulsive and perhaps what he's done many times over.
    Last edited by Ethrael; 2009-02-16 at 12:12 PM.
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

PM me for Uncrushed Banners

I'm taking a few avatar requests

Come one, show your appreciation with me for The_Chili_God

Sorry about the slow posting, peeps! Exams are starting to hit me...

28. - Top - End - #88

Teira

Teira shook her head slightly, looking up from her study to Mordo. "Unfortunately, I do not know our specific location, but I can tell you that this wasteland is entirely unnatural, so it may not have been in any texts." Even she snorts slightly at this obvious statement, but she elaborates. "To wit, there is no reason I can determine that this place cannot support life, yet except for us and what was left of a single tree, this place has less life than all but the very harshest desert. Whatever struck us down may have destroyed all life around us outright. If that is the right of it, it may be we should consider ourselves lucky," she added dryly.

I am me, you are you.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kovl -
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upon close examination, you can see that the root structure of the tree is largely intact, but completely lifeless. There appears to have been no drought killing this tree; the soil beneath it is slightly damp. The plant seems to have simply ceased functioning.

Teira -
    Spoiler
    Show
    Though you can gauge no arcane purpose for the spell, you are absolutely certain that it is historically insignificant, barring one case in a far-past era in which an orc king was slain by a halfling with a similarly blue stone launched from a sling. This is most likely not that stone.

Sylvash -
    Spoiler
    Show
    The slew of fish and small creature corpses coming from upstream seems to be nearly endless. You find that the stream moves through a chute twenty feet below the surface of the well. The chute curls downwards and the current becomes incredibly rapid as you move through it, the force of the water propelling you through the tunnel.The current slows as the chute levels off. The stream widens and there is some space overhead. The water level is approximately fifteen feet below the roof of the cavern. Just as you come to the surface of the stream and discover this, the following happens -
    //OOC: Where you wake up depends on the four Con checks.

Upon the verbalization of the lifelessness of the plains, you all feel a pain reverberating through your heads. As a single memory returns to your heads, you feel as though you are living through this single painful moment again. You feel the ground shake beneath you and a thousand screams alight the plains. You see grass whither away into dust, insects drop in mid flight, and fish instantly cease their movements. A grey mist rises as the release of thousands of souls and the destruction of billions of tiny lives shocks the very core of the land. You remember looking out at this maelstrom of death . . . and then you awaken once more.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You all gain one level.
    Last edited by Highwarlord; 2009-02-16 at 07:57 PM.
    Just an affable fellow, really.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Garret

Clutching his head at the sudden rush, he opens his eyes a wondering, and seeing others reacting much as he had, realizes it was shared by all. Looking down at the piece of wood, he redoubles his efforts, knowing that escape from this place, is necessary. As he bends to task, he asks of Teira "Please. Help me. I need to get out of here."

CraftBoats - (1d20+3)[9] + any aid.