New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Selenei (Freeform)

Theo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So do I know how to go about getting to the material plane?

Soul traverses the town, a few memories flowing back into him. As a being of magic rather then flesh he seems to not find himself niether bored nor entertained, only...hungery.

He sets off to the docks, where the mist is less present. He will then look in alleyways and other places to find the occasional "snack" To slate his thirst. (Aura)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post
    But you said you are a newcomer here. Will you be able to convince others of your kind to stop the attacks?"
    "That is a concern," conceded Dawn. "As I said, I currently speak only for myself. I will have to make anew any authority I attempt to exert over this situation on behalf of my kind." Just what exactly that involved could not be read from Dawn's expression, but something was up. "But if I understand you correctly, none have openly attempted direct communication with your city. I am the first. That in itself will mean something, I am sure." Dawn's gaze narrowed meaningfully. "Certain prerogatives are always accorded to the first."

"So in the interest of trust, I will be honest and warn you that I guarantee nothing. I can only give you my word, whatever it is worth, that I represent the possibility of a future different from your present. In the worst case," if I lose, thought Dawn, "it may fall to me to become a designated emissary of war. But even in that case, I think our mutual understanding would be more complete, and the situation no worse than it seems to currently be. Wouldn't you agree?"
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

DMTibernius

The port is a very busy place. It seems Gond is exporting a lot of goods to the other Planes and there is a steady flow of ships traveling to it as well. You scour the usual places where an Auras could remain. All those places are completely devoid of any sustenance. There aren’t even smallest remnants left. Others have beaten you to them.

Spoiler
    Show

There is/are other Greater Dead here. The absence of Auras, slight disturbances in the Barrier and your spirit senses all point to it.

You are in the Material World. You’ve arrived here bypassing the Barrier altogether somehow.

You can travel between Planes via Stream Ships. Another way for you is to slip into the Spirit World. It is connected to every place in the Material World and distances are relative there. You still need to locate the place to where you traveling to and then break through the Barrier to return.

Kalirren

I agree completely. This is more then I ever hoped for.” The man nods firmly. “I guess I should have introduced myself earlier. My name is Felios and I’m ready to do whatever it takes to bring peace between our people.”

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

{{OOC: I could have sworn I replied to this already. Oh well. It's here now.}}

Lilah stayed on the fringes of the crowd, careful not to lose track of Grey and following the lead of those around her whenever she passed a black uniform. After wandering aimlessly for a while, she signaled Grey to follow her and ducked into an alleyway. Looking at the nearest wanted posters she memorized the faces, then turned to Grey.

"We're not going to accomplish anything by walking around randomly. Wherever we are, it's definitely not the world I know. We have no money, no food, and no water. We need to find someplace safe to plan and eventually sleep."
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Soul senses it. Others like him. but where? This is his new mission. He has enough sustenance to hold him over, now he seeks answer. Who is he, where is he. None of which he believes will end in 42.

6. - Top - End - #126

"That's already more of a commitment than I've made," remarked Dawn with a transparent hint of amusement, "though I would personally be willing to go that far." Dawn met Felios's gaze head on the first time during the entire conversation. "I've never told you what I am called; since this is first contact, it would be the only proper thing for you to know my most powerful name, and that was Itzpapalotl Seven-Water. I don't know if anyone now, even among my kind, would recognize it. It is an old name."

"But you, Felios, can simply call me Dawn. Even when others do not. I would prefer that." Familiarity. Privilege. Contact. It was only then that Dawn truly appreciated the reality of its own existence. Not only was Dawn awake again, out of the Mists, but it was interacting with something real, something that truly existed outside of the clouded perceptions of a fogged mind.

And with that reality came real needs that had also gone forgotten. "How do you forage out here, Felios? Do you hunt? gather? farm? You can't possibly live alone."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

(OOC - and I am back. Thank you for your patience.)

Lonna

As far as money goes, maybe we should visit one of “work offices”? Or we may try stealing one of those metal plates they are carrying.” Gray replies. It seems he makes no distinction whatsoever between honest work and stealing. “It’s good we don’t stand out much, there are a lot of people looking even more lost then we are”.

Kalirren

"Honored to meet you Dawn". Felios smiles “I’ve studied Diet Transmutation in the University of Avalon. Never completed the course to become proper Dietitian, but learned enough to transmute basic foods. And I’ve learned from Miners enough about foraging the local herbs to avoid avitaminosis.

DMTibernius

You can try tracking the others, either during the Planelight or wait for the dark, when they would become more active. It might be dangerous if they are hostile, since they can harm any of your forms.

DMTibernius
    Spoiler
    Show

A little about the types of undead you may ecounter.

Brutes – they care only about tasting the life again. The nickname refers to deaths they are prone to cause. Brutes try everything to steal Auras of the living. Their attempts are usually very crude, they waste more then they steal. Common practice is murder of the living and devouring of fast escaping Auras, before they leave to the Spirit World. In a very few cases Brutes that hold on long enough and learn a few tricks can go as far as possessing living bodies.

Brutes are almost always freshly dead. This means they are unskilled, often even unable to take over dead bodies (this requires certain ability). On other hand their Auras are fresh and connection with the world still potent, which makes them very strong.

Brutes are short existences. As they descend into unthinking gluttony, devouring and taking, they loose their humanity. Only human will keeps the Greater Dead together, so when it is gone they break into the component Auras and are carried off to the Spirit World.

Shades - they combine their thirst for life with desire to resume living. Shades often try to assist the causes they believed in life, help their descendants, finish any unfinished business, etc. If Brutes try to avoid human contact, Shades are desperately trying to rejoin human society.

Shades are usually skilled. Their power varies. They grow weak with passage of time, but sometimes recover their zeal for life if something in life spurns them. Their connection with life is both their strength and vulerability. It helps them resist Death's Call, but can be threatened to weaken their willpower.

Shades are long-lived. They may hold on for hundreds of years. Eventually they still gorw weary of existing, but not truly living. Their will slowly erodes and they succumb to the Death’s Call.

True Greater Dead - they are much like Shades, except they know that there is a way to return to life. The True Resurrection. This knowledge burns deep inside them, never letting them to give up. Theoretically True Greater Dead can exist indefinitely, unless destroyed by some outside force. Even if Death’s Call rips them from the Material World, they always find a way to return eventually. True Greater Dead almost always possess some necromantic knowledge and often actively seek more.

Last edited by Thelonius; 2009-03-19 at 03:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128

"Well, then, you must be starving for a real meal. What do you think of scalegoat meat? Or fish, even? It may be hot and dry here, but there's still plenty better to find than transmuted gruel." And few experiences as invigorating as a truly wild hunt.

Spoiler
    Show

It was true, too. There were plenty of dragons who had discovered that they could make for themselves plantlike existences on the Upper Planes, transmuting Planelight into sustenance, surviving just enough to enjoy the basics of existence. Younger dragons who approached such elders often found their consciousnesses long lost in a state reverie far deeper than sleep or hibernation.

"How about I find us both some real food, and we talk more over a meal?"
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2009-03-22 at 12:37 AM.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Felios smiles in agreement. "The natural food would be better then transmuted replicas." He looks around and says "I'll set up camp by those rocks and wait for your return then".

Spoiler
    Show

You also remember of a Dragon who wanted to grow to cover an entire Plane. It was a very ambitious project that would test dragon's powers to the utmost level. He chose the location in the Middle Planes, upper part, near the World's Spine.
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2009-03-22 at 08:33 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130

"Suit yourself. I'll try not to bring down anything that would make you have to move camp." And with that, Dawn took off once again.

A few hours later, the bird appeared again, its unmistakeably large outline in the sky silhouetted against the receding Planelight. Clutched in its talons was (what appeared to be) a pointed wooden skewer with three chicken-sized rodents each neatly pierced through the neck.

"Some things never change, I suppose," bantered Dawn as it made its final circle over camp only a few feet overhead. "Prairie rodents are always tasty." It picked a spot, then made a short dive, ramming the skewer's blunt end vertically into a crevice in the baked ground before alighting on a rock. "Raw or cooked?" Dawn of course knew the answer, but wanted to see what exactly Felios was capable of doing.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lilah shook her head when Gray mentioned stealing. Moral issues aside, getting caught would draw far too much attention to them.

"A work office is probably less likely to make us stand out," she pointed out, "and until I get a better idea of what exactly is going on here, I don't want to stand out. Everything here is different from what little I remember; I need some time to get my bearings."

Thinking about just how different the laws of reality seemed to be here gave Lilah an idea. Cupping her hands experimentally, she stared at the air within them, willing it to become water in much the same way she had willed her Crystal to change before coming to this strange place.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show