New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Forgotten Realms Red Hand of Doom

Take that, lumbering oaves, shouts Zhimnick as he shifts into a better position, loads his crossbow and fires at the nearest hobgoblin.
    Spoiler
    Show
    5-foot step to G14(I don't think it's difficult terrain yet), then move action to load the crossbow and standard action to shoot it.
    (1d20+6)[22]
    (1d8)[7]
    I'm not quite sure what bonuses does the bard's song give, since Peldan apparently has got some stuff that boosts it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Peldan Boz

Boz glanced, for a moment, at Munnon who was next to him. Impressive - he continued his mental notes about the impressive combat capabilities he was seeing about him. Archers, spellslingers...

Rushing forward himself, he opted to add to the blows before him, slashing out at a hobgoblin.

Spoiler
    Show

Inspire Courage Bonus: Drops to +2 on my initiative count this round, but before my action is at +3.

Move to P-18 to attack the hobgoblin in Q-19. If said hobgoblin is dead, I'll instead move to Q-19 and attack either of the other hobgoblins (Preferably one who's been attacked already).

Attack Roll: (1d20+10)[25]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+6)[12]
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Munnon

Munnon smiled stiffly at a job well done, but the fight was not over yet. She had not time to waste in temporary satisfaction; now was the moment to charge in the mist of archers.

The earth genasi gave a quick swipe of her guisarme to flick the blood off before rushing in for another strike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Munnon will charge to O18, at which point she will attack either P20 or Q19 (the less damaged of the two, if that makes a difference).

Power Attack -4/+8, Inspire Courage +2, Charge +2
    AttackRoll - (1d20+10)[27], DamageRoll - (2d4+16)[22]
    Same for the AoO!
    AttackRoll - (1d20+10)[24], DamageRoll - (2d4+16)[23]

For the next round, AC will be 18.

4. - Top - End - #64

Ulflinn continues to move as necessary to get clear shots and blasts the cleric, or if not still standing, any other hobgoblin near him.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[24]
    (3d6)[4]
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

5. - Top - End - #65

Sihaya's two arrows soar wide as she hastens too much to take advantage of the increasingly defenseless hobgoblins.

Munnon charges, cleaving the head off of the nearest hobgoblin with a powerful swing of her guisarme.

Having had enough, the remaining two regulars, blinded as they are, throw down their weapons and begin to run. Munnon seizes the opportunity to flick the head off of yet another hobgoblin.

Zhimnick takes aim and fires, catching the stumbling, fleeing regular in the back.

Ulflinn hurls a rather weak eldritch blast at the cleric, wounding him slightly.

Tyr can't keep his focus, but his arrow does strike true, wounding the cleric.

Boz, seeing that the regular is too far to reach, instead charges the cleric, finishing the work that Ulflinn and Tyr started, digging his blade deep into the thick neck of the cleric. The hobgoblin slumps to the ground, dead.

Sihaya casually nocks an arrow and finishes off the final fleeing hobgoblin, catching it in the spine. The soldier's body stiffens up and collapses in a heap.

The only two remaining enemies are slumbering peacefully.

Combat Concluded

You have two sleeping hobgoblins and several dying hobgoblins, and there is the ruined farmhouse to the south.

((I went ahead and bled over into the next round, but there was no sense in making you all post actions.))

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Peldan Boz

This always happened.

You'd be in a good fight, the swing of things would pendulum your way, your blood'd be racing, you'd have really focused yourself into the zone -

And the fight would end.

"Aw...." He whispered, under his breath. He glanced around - perhaps a bit too hopefully - nope, looked like that was it for attackers.

"Aw..." He repeated, as he shifted back and forth a bit, from the balls of his toes to his heels. He calmed his breathing, focused on calming the blood in his veins.

Two steps - the sleeping hobgoblins, and his allies. Shifting towards the sleeping foes first, Boz reached for his rope. "Better bind'm quick - don't want them waking up on us - probably just thieves, but maybe they can tell us something we don't know, eh?"

He paused - the binding probably should be done fairly quickly, but there were other matters to attend to as well, or at least to make sure they were somewhat less urgent. "Hey - on that, is everyone alright? Still standing?"

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Tyr Dreyri

Even as he nocked another arrow to his bow, the last goblin fell. Sighing as the adrenaline left he veins, he began putting his bow and ammo away, and his chest shot through with pain.

"Guh!" he grunted, adding, Forgot about that, in his mind. How one forgets about being shot in the chest, especially when he was so angry about it but a moment before, is anyones guess.

Tyr, however, mutters the word for his belt, and drags his pack off of his back, digging around to find his rope. He knew it was in there somewhere, and it wasn't like he had all that much in the backpack to begin with...

Ah, there it is. Stupid bedroll, sitting on everything,. He pulls it out and makes his way toward the sleeping goblins. "If anyone has any skill with ropes, now would be a good time to show it. Otherwise, I guess I can..."

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Zhimnick grins wickedy. Suckers. I suppose we could question them, but I don't think they know anything. I'm fine either way.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #69

Munnon

Blood pumping through her veins and head, Munnon understood perfectly Boz' feeling. The fight was over, but the rush was not yet gone. She panted slightly and leaned on her guisarme, looking around at the numerous corpses that littered the spots where she had made her stand. It had been a good battle.

Noticing the movement around the two sleeping hobgoblins, Munnon frowned. "Why bind them? It is better to die in battle than tied to a tree. If they are thieves, we would also do the region a service."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Sihaya

Sihaya kneels in the dirt, wincing as her thigh muscle stretches and burns where the hellhound had bit her. She rummages around in her pack before pulling out two small vials and empties them into her mouth; the pain in her leg and shoulder begins to fade to a level where she would be able to concentrate once her adreniline left. There would be a limp for a bit, but that she could handle.

Her next order of business is to check that Mur and Munnon are still healthy. Satisfied that Mur was unharmed and Munnon is doing OK, she joins the others to look at the goblins, sneering,

"You may not want me to vote in this decision. I can't stand the sight of these...beasts."

Spoiler
    Show

Two CLW.

(2d8+6)[18]

Actually...minus 4 so only 14 healing. Sorry, got some potion rules mixed up. oO
    Last edited by Syka; 2009-03-05 at 12:26 AM.
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Zhimnick rolls his eyes. Alright, a question for everyone. What would you do if those were human bandits?

12. - Top - End - #72

Munnon

"The same. They attacked without warning or reason. We defended ourselves. Either they are marauders or they are involved in something else dangerous. Whichever does not matter." Munnon answered simply. She did not consider it her decision to make, but did not like Zhimnick's less-than-subtle implications.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Peldan Boz

The half-orc shrugged.

"Not much point in killin'm now, though. If they're just roadside bandits, odds are Drellin's Ferry's been bothered by'm for awhile now, and they'd probably want them around for their own justice. If they're, well, involved in something else dangerous, then we might at least get some information 'bout what else might be jumpin' out and attacking us, heh."

He glanced aside, as he began tying up the other one. "Sides, it doesn't hurt nobody for us to try talking to'm. Worst case scenario, they foam at the mouth and threaten us, haha."

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, whatever. If we do talk to them though, let me do it, will ya? I've dealt with hobgoblins before. He keeps on glancing on Sihaya, since his remark was directed at her.
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-03-05 at 02:26 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Sihaya

"I defer to the choice of the group on matters such as this. My people are peaceful but we are harsh with those who violate certain codes of conduct, particularly bandits. So you still probably would not like my suggestion."

She leaves out that they are harsher with the goblin raiders, but it's true that her people do not take kindly to those who try to harm them, the goblins just happen to have the longest standing rivalry with the Anuchu.

16. - Top - End - #76

"If you think you can get some information out of them, then it should be worth the effort. Then we should definitely see if the local law enforcement has any interest in them."
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

17. - Top - End - #77

Tyr ties up the two sleeping hobgoblins with no real problem and manages to drag them down to the road without waking them up. While tying them up, he notices that their armor bears an insignia of a red hand superimposed over a gold circle.

Upon reaching the road once more, he observes that, as a matter of fact, all of the hobgoblins bear this insignia on their armor.

((What else are you guys doing?))

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Tyr Dreyri

Listening to the arguments, Tyr began to become impatient. He started off, dragging the hobgoblins, and said "Ok, let's look at it this way. Would they kill us? Yes. Do we want to be like them? No. Now let's get moving. I want to be there before dark, and the longer we take, the more likely we get caught when someone comes to see why their scouts haven't returned."

After noticing the insignia, Tyr calls back over his shoulder, "Hey, did anyone else notice that they've all got the same mark on their armor? I didn't know hobo's were so organized,"

After a second pause, Tyr Adds, "Someone should search those dead bodies; there might be something we can use or sell,"

Spoiler
    Show
    Tyr, of course, removed the weapons from the hobgoblins as he tied them, though he probably left them their armor (he doesn't really like touching them, and he suspects them of being naked beneath). If their weapons look to be of above average craftsmanship, he will keep them, else he will toss them out.
    Last edited by Bandededed; 2009-03-07 at 02:18 PM.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Unless anyone objects, Zhimnick moves to talk to the hobgoblins.

20. - Top - End - #80

"Please let me look at their gear. I should be able to tell if anything is magical"

Ulflinn starts going through the gear carried by the fallen enemies, scanning everything with Detect Magic.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Sihaya

The foxwoman remains silent as they bind and search the hobgoblins. While the others are busy with the prisoners, she keeps watch down the road where the enemies had come from in the first place. Mur is laying at her feet, watching the bustle with the goblins disinterestedly, scratching as a bug nips at her ear.

22. - Top - End - #82

Ulflinn seperates the gear into two piles. One contains the magical armor, potions, scroll, and swords with the other containing all of the mundane items. Pointing to each as he speaks, he says "These have some kind of magic, but I cannot identify it myself. The others do not. How does everyone think we should handle this stuff? Take the magical gear to split up later, leave the rest?"

He will also go and scan the interior of the farmhouse with Detect Magic while everyone decides.

23. - Top - End - #83

Ulflinn finds nothing else on the bodies of the hobgoblins and heads to the farmhouse to investigate the apparent headquarters of the marauders. Inside, it becomes apparent that the party was not, in fact, the first group of travelers to be waylaid by the hobgoblins. Five corpses lie in a heap along the western wall of the farmhouse--three dressed in unremarkable studded leather that was torn and damaged from the armor's wearer being ruthlessly killed.

Three light crossbows and longswords are piled in the corner, equally unremarkable, but Ulflinn does find a pouch of gold resting next to the body of a woman -- evidently a wealthy one, judging by the weight of the pouch.

The farmhouse apparently served as some sort of makeshift campsite for the hobgoblins, but nothing else of value can be noticed.

Zhimnick approaches the still-sleeping (and now stripped of their armor and weaponry) hobgoblins. That must've been a powerful Sleep spell indeed.

24. - Top - End - #84

Munnon

Without any idea of what she'd ask the hobgoblins, Munnon walks to Sihaya's side. She takes out a dirty and slightly-bloodied cloth from her pack and begins cleaning off her guisarme.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Zhimnick kicks the sleeping hobgoblins into consciousness.
    Rise and shine!

26. - Top - End - #86

The hobgoblins wake with a start. Momentary confusion gives way to rage as they realize their predicament. The hobgoblins immediately begin struggling against their bindings while swearing loudly in Goblin.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, cupcakes... if you answer my questions nicely and politely, I might convince those roundteeths there to spare your lives. How about that?

28. - Top - End - #88

The hobgoblins continue to struggle against the ropes, but one glances up at Zhimnick and spits something green and disgusting onto the trail. "We are Kulkor Zhul, Traitor. We do not fear death. Yours will come sooner than you think."

Spoiler
    Show
    You're going to need to make some sort of interaction check to get them talking. Any further efforts to extract information from them will fail without one.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, traitior this, traitor that. Like I've never heard that before. But seriously, what makes you think I'm not just waiting for a right moment to double-cross those morons?
    Bluff check: (1d20+10)[30]
    EDIT: Whee, natural twenty.
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-03-08 at 11:54 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90

The one that spoke's eyes narrow. "The right time would have been when we started our ambush, goblin. Many good warriors died today due to your inaction. These look like they have good equipment... you should bring them to Wyrmlord Koth and Karkilan at the old human castle in the forest. Karkilan might want some of their equipment before the Day of Ruin comes. The Wyrmlord should make short work of them with his magic. Now, cut us free while the other softskins are distracted!"