New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: [Fading Suns]Voyages of a Free Trader (IC)

Nickson gives you an understanding nod.
    Sure, sure, captain. I understand your concerns, but you need not trouble yourself. The refrigeration is indeed fickle, but ammonia needs a lot of time or heat to turn into gas form. If any of the barrels has a failure, you have hours to fix it before enough gas forms to blow up the barrel. Just ask your engineer. And if you fail, you can just jettison the barrel and give Ruhan the broken freezer unit. He knows the risks of the trade.
    He scratches his bald head.
    Yeah, well, the urgency. I had a freight crate booked for the cargo, but the ship got boarded by Vuldrok raiders and they left a few unsightly holes that are not yet fixed, so the ship goes nowhere and the cargo sits in a warehouse, burning a hole in my pocket. Don't think, however, that you can press me for more money, just because I'm under pressure, captain. That would just lose you your first cargo.
    The scraver looks at you with a sly smile, waiting for yor reply.

Kaarl:
    Looking at the blueprints you realize that checking all the power couplings that connect the reactor to the thrusters could take a while. Days, to be precise, so you better start out right away. Since you don't know when you are leaving, you'd better keep at it until you've nailed the problem.
    Spoiler
    Show

Make a roll against Perception and High Tech Redemption to locate the problem.

Marc:
    There is silence on the other side of the lattice for almost a minute, before Father Allan replies.
    It is the Pancreator only, who can judge your worthiness, so do not presume to do so. He has put you in your place for a reason, never forget that. It is a severe test of your faith, I agree, but you need to see this through. If you give up on yourself, you blacken the mirror of your soul, possible for good. I cannot believe that your compassion is all dead yet. You merely need to find it. Perhaps by following that search to the stars, you will find that it was there all along.
    The priests voice is gentle and full of hope, but you sense that his worries are very real.
    Study the Blessitudes, Brother. The wisdom of St. Amalthea will help you understand your situation better. Do this for at least an hour every day. Since you have not commited an actual sin, I have no further penance for you. I recommend however, that you visit Prophet's Hill, as soon as your ship makes a stop on Aylon, and spend some time in prayer there.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Marc Scarlet

"Thank you father, I shall do as you have suggested and visit this place. If you require anything else of me you may find me aboard the ship we have been given, but I think we'll leave shortly."

Marc's mind was not fully at peace yet, for some reason confessions always brought back immages of the war, but it had helped. Politely saying his goodbye's to the priest and the other few Amaltheans that were at the temple he made his way back to the ship. Solemnly he began to prepare the medical bay for any patients that might need treatment, ensuring that everything was both properly locked down in case of turbulence and easy to acces in case of emergency.
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2009-02-28 at 01:11 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaarl

Where are you......I know you're in here somewhere....

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[3] vs 14
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Entridge had his room clean and the mop put away, or at least where he had found it. Sitting on his bed, he silently went about sharpening his sword and daggers. The sound of the whetstone on steel was soothing at this point.

He hoped there would be something to do soon. Sitting around and waiting was worse on his nerves then being shot at. He would have to go to the exercise room when he was done here if somethign wasn't needing to be done by then.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Entridge Hazat: OoC and IC
    Roondar Tauren: Character Sheet

Games DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Mountain Village: OoC and IC

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright, that's all I wanted to know. I accept your offer - we will transport your ammonia to Ruhan. Tell us where is the place we should pick up the cargo from."

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Boss Nickson smiles again.
    Don't worry about that, captain, a flitter will bring the stuff over do Dyrak before dusk. I'll send a crew of my men to help you load it and an advance of half the money along with it.
    His expression turns serious.
    Now, listen up. If you do this right, I'll be in your debt. I'll make sure you get another run, and perhaps more. But if you frak this up and live, no Scraver on this planet will make business with you.
    The smile returns, though you can't help doubting its sincerity now.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Charles raises an eyebrow slightly due to the sudden change of tone - but his tone or expression don't change besides that. "I understand, Chief, but there is no need to worry - your client will receive all the ammonia you want to send him. Now... is there anything else you'd like to tell me? I will have to inform the crew to expect the cargo."

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I don't think so. I'll send the cargo right away. Expect it to reach you in six hours. Boss Nickson out.
    The screen flickers again and turns a solid grey with the amber letters "Transmission Ended" in the middle.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Charles turns the communicator off and reaches for the radio that will be heard over the whole ship*.
    "Gentlemen, good news - we have received another job. Come to the bridge if you'd like to hear the details."

Spoiler
    Show
    * - I assume the bridge is equipped with such a thing.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Entridge was most of the way through his last dagger when Charles's call scame through. Quickly cleaning up his mess, Entridge moved up towards the bridge. He hoped the "Captain" hadn't gotten them into a job that was more then they could handle.

What've we got Entridge asked, ducking onto the bridge.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Games DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daniel Gren

Daniel has been arranging all his wordly possessions in his cabin: a gun, a rifle, a spare set of clothes, tools and grease for his cyberarm, and Sliver - his shazzle. When the captain's message comes through, he sighs softly:

"You stay here, ok? No sneaking about. No, I know that look. I mean it. Look, I'll make you a deal: cause no trouble, and when I get back, we'll go hullrat hunting, deal?"

He sighs again, scratches the shazzle under its chin and heads for the bridge.

12. - Top - End - #42

Marc Scarlet

"So what's our secondary piece of cargo?" the doctor said nonchelantly as he climbed into the bridge section.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaarl

*Hitting the intercom.

Captain, I'm knee deep in engine over here. Just let me know the basics, and I'll get back to work.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright - I will try not to make it harder to you than it already is." Satisfaction rings in Charles' voice as he responds to the intercom - if the engineer is busy with the engine, it means something can be done about the thrusters. He leaves the radio on so Kaarl can listen to the conversation too.

"In several hours, a flitter with sixty tonnes of liquid ammonia will arrive, to be delivered to an Ukari merchant Ruhan oj Bortuk, residing in the city of Sajik on Aylon - we will receive 20 firebirds per tonne, possibly more if we manage to deliver it within 12 days. The cargo is kept in airtight refrigeration barrels and we are allowed to jettison them in case of any leaks - which is good, the safety of the crew comes first. I have no reasons not to trust our client... but it never hurts to be too careful, so after receiving those barrels, we will ensure ammonia is the only thing they contain - preferably in a way that won't require us to open them, if anyone knows such a method. Both losing the trust of our customer and unknowingly participating in smuggling are not things I'd enjoy."
    He crosses his arms. "On a lighter note, it would be bad luck if our vessel heads out to the stairs without a name, so we should give it one. Any suggestions?"

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I'd say The Vengeance, but we ain't exactly a warship, Entridge said dryly, leaning against the seat at his console. What do you say to The Gallant? And more importantly, dose this old tub have the juice to get us to our dropoff in 12 days? I'm all for it, but it ain't worth our time if we can't make it fast enough, or get stranded in space cuz we had to burn to fast.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Games DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daniel Gren

"Thirteen, maybe fourteen days with the engines as they are now," Daniel says flatly. "And that's assuming we can make the jump right after arriving at the gate."

"Does someone have a knife I could borrow?" he asks, looking a tad embarassed at making the request. "Mine broke a few days ago and I didn't get a chance to replace it. I want to check the ship for hull rats and I need one in case I find any," he adds as an explanation.

"And I suggest The Unfettered."

17. - Top - End - #47

Marc Scarlet

Mark took out his knife and handed it to the pilot. "Seems like a worthy cause."

"I like both names, why don't we combine them? The Unfettered Gallant. It's apt for the ship isn't much to look at, but in our own free way it's probably going to lead us to brave and bold actions. At least if we keep working for the scravers it is."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Charles nods in response to the pilot. "Okay, then the bonus is out of our reach - I guess we can live with that, the reward for delivering the package should dwarf any extra we'd receive for the ammonia anyway."

"And I like the idea of combining the names as well."

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I'm fine with that name, Entridge said with a nod. And I'm glad you checked to make sure it was worth it before you took on cargo 'Captain'. I'll be in the cargo bay making sure we've got things cleared out enough.

Entridge wasn't happy hearing about the loss of a bonus all because the ship was too slow. Woul have been better to take on something less volatile if the money wasn't good enough. Then again, the Scaver's Guild was a worthwhile customer. Might be worht it in the long run. Not that he would tell that to a Hawkwood.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Games DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaarl

Sounds good to me Captain. I'll try to get the engines up to spec, but it's going to take a while, especially if we're using them. If we can, I'd like to do a complete inspection next time we are in port for a few days.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Kaarl is busy all afternoon, removing the floor plating in the cargo bay to access the machinery below, then putting it back, so as not get in the way of Entridge preparing the ship for loading. Daniel spends most of his time on the bridge, reporting to Kaarl on the status of the engines now and then, while Marc and Charles can rest for the moment, or busy themselves with private matters.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm making a few assumptions here, to move the story along. If any of you have any special plans, interrupt me at any time

Kaarl:
    Spoiler
    Show

Looks like you found it. You could fix it by reassigning some redundant parts. Roll Tech + High Tech Redemption

As a blood red dusk settles over Grikkor, you hear the humming of engines in the distance, and a large transport flitter approaches Dyrak, descending as it reaches city limits, then circling over your ship and setting down on the pad next to you by sverwing its propellers 90° and landing like a helicopter. These scravers do have some nifty toys, although this one looks like its held together by spit and wire, not to mention the evidently rather fresh bullet holes....

The plane's cargo bay opens, and a dozen rough looking men and women emerge. They are all tattooed, armed and armored, but do not make any aggressive moves. As you gather outside the transport's cargo doors, a lean, short-haired woman steps forward.
    Hello. My name is Lacey, and I'm here to help you get the ammonia loaded. We better get this done, my pilot hates flying at night.

Spoiler
    Show

Charles and Marc, please roll Wits + Empathy.
    Last edited by Halaster; 2009-03-03 at 03:28 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Marc

"Good morning madam." says the Amalthean as their contact arives. He's still doesn't wear the upper part of his uniform or his armored greeves, instead covering his torso with a white, shortsleeved shirt and his legs with a pair of blue pants. There is little way to tell that he holds an (honorary) imperial officers rank or indeed an Amalthean without the identifying marks.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Wits+Empath (goal 16) (1d20)[6]))

SUCCES!!! (well depending on her knavery)
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2009-03-03 at 07:05 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

After the meeting is over, Charles gives himself a mental note to talk with the Hazat when the opportunity arises - there is no need for the crew to be all buddy-buddy with each other, but some level of mutual respect is required - and looks around the ship to see is there something that requires his attention. If he doesn't manage to find anything, he approaches the Amalthean (unless he is already busy with something).
    "Doctor, would you like to play some chess to pass the time before the Scavers' flitter arrives?"

---

"Greetings, I am the captain of this ship." Charles goes to meet the woman without his heavy sword, though he still has his lighter armaments and the shield with him. "Good that you're here, we will start loading the cargo on right away - it's in our interest if we get this done ASAP as well."

Spoiler
    Show

Wits + Empathy, goal 8: (1d20)[2]
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2009-03-03 at 08:37 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaarl

There you are! Tricky little bugger, aren't you....

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[3] vs/ 14

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Lacey nods to Charles' words and signals here crew to begin loading. Daniel operates the lifter and everyone else is busy getting the barrels stowed and secured. It's hard work, and the sweltering heat doesn't make it any easier, but you're making fine headway. The Scravers are working like they're being paid for it, that much is sure.

Kaarl:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it's not pretty, and the manual certainly has a few things to say about this kind of jury-rigging (none of them very polite), but the output is nominal. Should get you to Aylon in under twelve days, if it lasts. If it doesn't, well there's about half a dozen pieces you cannibalized from the reserve systems, so don't expect those to kick in if the drive fails...

Charles and Marc:
    Spoiler
    Show

You can't pinpoint it, but there's something odd about the behavior of your Scraver friends. They're acting all cool and cracking jokes, but they're working like Azzuryelos, Keeper of the Gates of Doom, is breathing down their necks.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Entridge helped the Scavers load the ship as fast as he could. There was a bonus on the line, and if their mechanic proved to be worth while, he might get them there on time. Perhaps saving an hour hear could gain them some extra coin.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Games DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaarl

*After finishing the work on the engines, Kaarl starts looking for the captain. When he finds him, Kaarl pulls him to the side*

Ok, I think I've gotten the engines fully online. However, I had to....think outside the box on this one. We really need some hard cash so I can fix the systems I had to cannibalize to get the engines working.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

"Okay, you did a good job - if the bonus we receive will be greater than the cost of repairs, it means your creative approach earned us extra firebirds. If it will be lesser... then it's Ruhan's fault for being stingy." Charles smirks in amusement - even though the whole crew's money might be at stake here, he seems to be in good humour. Apparently he likes a gamble. "And even if that will be the case, which I somehow doubt, we get two extra days that way."
    His face gets more serious, however, as he briefly looks above his shoulder at the working Scraver's men. Something does not feel right here, and he tries to discreetly observe them all the time.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Charles:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Scravers are keeping a close eye on the surroundings (which are spectacularly bland, nothing but faceless factory buildings with not a soul in sight, plus little to hide behind), but what strikes you as more odd is that they seem to treat the barrels with a little more caution than their content seems to necessitate.

Lacey steps up to Charles and Kaarl as the loading process is nearing completion.
    Alright, some final instructions. The refridgeration units have 4 lamps each. Green says everything's fine, red says trouble, the barrel is over the boiling point of ammonia, orange says trouble on the way, the barrel is warming up and blue says the barrel is colder than it should be. You can ignore the blue one, but keep an eye on the orange one, and if the red one lights up, do something.
    She points to the box that sits atop each barrel to show you the LEDs.
    When the lamp turns red, you've got two to four hours to fix the fridge unit or get rid of the barrel. Don't forget to keep all broken units, or Boss Nickson will subtract the missing barrels from your payment. If you let the barrels get out of hand, the ammonia will expand and the barrel will burst. Then you have several cubic meters of poisonous gas in your ship's environment. Not a good idea.
    Finally, she places a small crate before you.
    These are all the spare parts we have. Don't use them if you don't have to.
    Looking out at the sun setting, the Scraver woman wipes her hands with a rag.
    Well lads, I gotta go. If you any have questions, ask them now. Otherwise, have a nice flight. And, when you reach Sajik, make sure to let Ruhan take you to Lullaat's Veil and show you a good time.
    She smiles and waits for a moment.

30. - Top - End - #60

Marc Scarlet

"So no red or orange, sounds easy enough." Marc sounds casual enough. "Thanks for doing business with you" he responds as he reaches out to shake the scravers hand.

As she takes his hand he shakes it firmly yet not painfully and just before letting go he remarks "back to bullet dodging I trust? What happened by the way?". The remark seemed fleeting, like making smalltalk in all but it's content and Marc let go of her hand as normal, merely smiling at her for a response. Still as he spoke he knew he'd been to eager in his desire for information.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[18] (extravert + charm, goal 14) to win her trust in making some smalltalk

(1d20+2)[9] (perception + empathy, goal 14 or 16 (for sensitive touch) he's actively seeking to sense if any muscle's twitch in her hand, some increased sweat...making use of his sensitive hands and his knowledge of human physiology to see if she's about to tell the truth, accented up by +2 as you can see)

EDIT: well...not quite so trustworthy...(changed the text somewhat to fit it)
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2009-03-06 at 10:45 AM.