New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gods of Mortals - IC

Malrion

Malrion rested and watched the others work. He was particularly intrigued by the lake nestled in the midst of his largest mountain range that had sprung up over night. He noticed the creatures created by the others most. He should created creatures for himself. And so Malrion began working on creatures to populate the world. Many insects were created during this time, as well as such creatures as the bulette, the aurumvorax, and the ankheg.

Pleased with his creatures, Malrion then noticed the...energy in the air. The others were creating something else. Something unseen. He decided he'd try his hand at this too. And thus the art of Geomancy was born.

Spoiler
    Show

All kinds of burrowing monsters/creatures created.
    Claiming one of the healing waters.
    Created Geomancy. The user becomes extremely in touch with the earth, even able to speak to the earth itself.
    Last edited by Ipphli; 2009-03-03 at 09:49 PM.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Orion bid farewell to Virgo and spent some time in contemplation. He was so amazed by the beauty of the universe, the stars, the two suns and the comets, that he decided to create something in their honor. So he went back to the planet's surface, where he consecrated four places of power. The first three where very much similar: they were called Starholme, Sunholme and Nightholme. In addition to several tablets, stone circles and the like, the holy sites each held a relic: a large sphere (either made from glass or obsidian) set upon a pedestal. At the right time of the day, symbols and other drawings would appear on the surface of the spheres, describing in details many astronomical phenomenons, such as cycles of the suns and moon. Nightholme was located in the center of a large desert and could only be activated near midnight; Starholme was found in a cave hidden behind the great waterfall and was activated at dusk; and Sunholme, located on top of a tall, but flat mountain became active at noon.

The fourth holy site that Orion made was unlike the others. The Observatory, as he came to call it, was in fact a scale model of the entire solar system. The model was made of a special stone that harnessed the power of the sun. It filled the central region of an impact crater, to the extreme south of his territory. It was hard to reach, but the sight was just breathtaking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Four places of power: (where Orion's influence is especially strong)
    Nightholme dedicated to the moon
    Starholme dedicated to the Dim Sun and the other, minor stars
    Sunholme, obviously dedicated to the Bright Sun
    and finally the Observatory

The spheres that hold the information act like touch-screen computers! The drawings move by magic. It's even possible to project holograms from this "machine".

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

A world of light and life. Surely this could not be eternal. Life would burn under the sun, plants would dry and wither, this could not happen. A remote cave began to grow dark...very dark. Blacker than the infinity of space.

This cannot be allowed... echos a voice from deep within the cavern. The shadow shall come and take its rightful place with the light.

In this moment, all light produced a black mirror of everything, living or not. The shadows stretched among everything and always would. Even the planet itself had a shadow which crawled slowly on the side opposite the sun.

((Wow, I missed A LOT. Stupid subscriptions))
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kazko dully explored his creation, after a century or so the novelty of the land began to wear. His interest was piped though when he found that life managed the thrive in even this seemly inhospitable place. Weedy plants sprouted from the richly salted earth bordering the swamps, reptiles and odd beasts scavenged among it. Stranger still, an assortment of insects seemed to do well by themselves in the barren grounds inland. Kazko was fascinated by these hardy creatures, managing to etch out an existence even here. His observations allowed new thoughts and ideas to creep into his mind...

A part of Kazko's attention was distracted by a far off feeling running through him. He had already come to know this meant yet another of his kin had created magic. This had began to irritate Kazko as he could see little use for the thing. So pointless, what possible purpose did they think it could serve? Kazko rose from his little world and reached out to invisible veil of magic that suffocated the world. Kazko tore a hole through it as if it were tissue(and tangible); he poured something of himself into this void, giving it depth and making it italicized real. Kazko grasped this hole in magic and hurled it at the planet, the hole widened as it flew until it was of such a size that it engulfed the world and flew beyond. Smattering of the void's residue stayed with the world though, leaving possibly for weakening or tearing fresh holes in the veil.

Spoiler
    Show
    Life somehow strives on in the Clackinglands!

In other news Kazko has devised Dead Magic as a reprisal for the annoying increase in various forms of magic. dead magic is the absence of magic and is composed of various ways to repel, dismiss and out right nullify magic! By no means is it limited to those that follow Kazko, yes that's right! all gods can snub Virgos without paying to tribute to glorious Kazko!

((If I don't alienate every single god by the end of turn one, I shall celebrate with a Sunday))

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Virgos

Virgos obviously didn't like Kazko's machinations in the Magi Lord's planetary decorations. The sky flashed.... during the time when the Blue Stars were brightest, even dead magic would fail against the sorceries of Virgos. However, Virgos decided not to fight with Kazko, he decided that for some reason, a fight between technology and magic would be far too cliche to be fun.

Meanwhile, he decided to mold his emotions into material objects, to hide throughout the planet. Throughout some areas, the material objects would be hidden in secret lairs full of beasts.. So far, Virgos created the Helm of Power, the Sword of Purity, and the Staff of Wisdom. The most powerful artifact he had created, was as powerful as all three artifacts combined. A mysterious, powerful Blue Star Ring...

Spoiler
    Show
    All the artifacts were created in demi-planes, obscured from the others through Virgos'es powers of magic. In addition, Virgos had created more great beasts... Winged, reptillian creatures for the sword, swarms of giant, insectile creatures with a painful sting, giant, proto-sapient(not quite) Owls, and even great and mighty giant apes.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ora rose. There was a tension, a change here. The powers were coming together greeting one another. But there was so much work left to do. She slowly created a flow below the lands, one real and one very muchly unseen. The flow was good, echoing back and around again and again. And within it a large chasm grew, just below the surface, where the echos were loud.

Ora met with the others slowly, a simple flicker of her aura in greeting and a long tendril of energy morphing out of herself to wave slowly underneath. Hello.

Spoiler
    Show
    Underground river of healing water which runs in its own set of caves. Made also a magic system based of the echos, one that takes in magic around it and refocuses it back. Basically copycat magic. Also made The Great Cavern.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Ur Alpha looked down at the stone pillars that had been planted, and found magical tethers bound them to him. With a snarl and a mote of effort, the magical connections spread between the cairns to form a web of energy. The web formed did not have a function yet, as the beast of war desired the freedom to wield weapons as they were convenient. However, the mystic crossroads formed nexi around the stones, passively attracting living beings to the icons.

With that work done, Ur Alpha took the form of a lion's head with a mane of fire, roaring across the globe to the Clackinglands. The god's presence swelled as it approached Kazko, and the ground rumbled with divine fury.
    "Kazko! I've been paying attention. You make trouble. I seek conflict. So, consider this an invitation: Give me an excuse."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kazko span idly in the air before Ur Alpha. Kazko had recently took an interest in shaping his form and resembled a series of alternating and revolving spoked wheels. The wheels shifted direction before he replied.

Trouble? I've never considered my actions as such, meddling with such dull and pointless things hardly merits the word. Why are you so blunt about your desire to fight me? You think I will purposely aggravate you on request? And in fact what could we do to one another in any case? Rend each others creations? That isn't conflict, the destruction is effortless as is the recreation; merely an exchange of slights to one another.

Kazko continued his perpetual spinning.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Sarathalus

Once more Sarathalus looked upon the world, and once more was pleased. However, something was still missing....as he listened to the songs on the Sea, an idea formed. The rest of the world needed song!

Across the world, creatures formed that sang. Birds especially became dear, and flourished.

Landscape also changed in places. An arch here, a set of caves, a waterfall...music was heard in many places across the world.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Slunush

The world was now nearly complete. Most of the unliving matter was in place and creeping all over it, the beginning of life. But still, the creation fever burnt deep inside Slunush's mind.

Using his mastery over fire and heat, the Flame God began to meld the landscape, carving obsidian canyons for rivers to run into, cracking mountains open like one would do to a chestnut. He dried whole lakes and swamps, letting the water evaporate so that it could be used somewhere else.

Around the Glass Bridge, he made sure nothing but sand and dust remained, as he somehow knew that too much life around his creation would damage it. Already, the structure was scratched and partially eroded, the wind having worked its surface day after day for now what mortals would call an eternity. The once blinking light it reflected was only visible from certain angles and only at specific moments.

Slunush was sad of seeing the slow agony of this piece of Art. But Art wasn't mean to last forever. Or was it ? What was Art but creation at its finest ? If it really was mean to be perfect, then it wasn't mean to change, even less to degrade. Slunush landed atop the "Bridge".

"-Let it endure the time and reflect life for the times to be. Let it be an eternal remembrance of the day we gathered here to create something unique."
    And with these words, the Flame God engulfed the whole structure with a shield of pure heat. No fire, just a thick layer of magically heated oxygen which would deflect most natural attack and swirl toward the very end of the Glass Bridge, projecting new waves of Fire Dust into the atmosphere, where it would travel and settle all across Rashin.

After this, Slunush went to find Virgos .
    "-Greetings, Blue Star.

I heard you made some catalysts for your power.
    May I ask you why do you feel the need for such things ? I appreciate achievements in whatever way they may be. But the pursuit of pure power seems a bit...vain.
    We are gods after all and should be above fear and personal ambition. Such mighty items are like magical beacons for anybody searching ANY magic. For who are they ? And, more important, what is their purpose ?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Virgos
    "It is true the pursuit of pure power is vain. However, for a mortal to achieve astounding power and to become purely mighty and wise may be a way to inspire the lesser mortals to greater heights of glory."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Slunush

The Flame God reflected about it. It took him a few hours. An blink of eye for gods. To inspire mortals to greater heights of glory... He took a good look at the actual "mortals" : cows, dogs, birds, insects...and dinosaurs.

While the latter were impressive in sheer strength and size, they weren't exactly the inovative type. As for the others, they had potential but wouldn't devellop it as long as they would have to compete with giants like Orion's children.

"-I...like your idea. Create small things for mortals to improve themselves and achieve bigger ones... Though I still have doubts about how to do it, I can already say that, without drastical and direct intervention from us, none of the actual mortals will get beyond their actual level, mainly because any kind of competition is doomed against 20m tall warm-blood reptiles...Would you be interested into a partnership, in order to solve this ?"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Virgos
    "Sure I suppose. You realize, of course, that in a way mortals will one day become a small bit like us, right?"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A roaring crack, like wood bursting under intense heat, filled the air. Slunush laughed happily.
    "-And then ? They're our creation. We should be proud if one of those weak creature is to become an immortal just like us. But right now, the way I see it, there is only two ways for this to eventually happens :

Either we slaughter the dinosaurs for the rest of the mortals to progress further on the way to godhood. It might be unfair for Orion and the Dinosaurs but the path they took is a dead end, unless Orion himself act to guide them.

Or we invest a large part of our energies to directly change mortals into smarter versions of their actual one. I don't really like this idea, as mortals should learn by themselves to be smart and wise, not just receive it.

Any other options you see ?"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Virgos"Simply isolate some creations of ours from the others."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

And Rashin looked down upon his body, and he called it good. For every one of his brothers had made his own special touch, and Rashin knew that all was for the ultimate good.

He looked down upon his holy place, his home and shelter, and found that its sacred waters had been changed for good - it was pure and was a place of healing. This would be his body's heart indeed, for here was the blood that would heal its wounds and soothe its pains.

He delved into the world's heart, and wove the power and energy there on his divine loom, spinning into being something that was powerful and powerless; pure and yet sullied; power of heart and soul, not of mind and knowledge; enigmatic and yet simple; dark and light entertwined.

And this he named the Song of the Heart, the magic of the world's soul, only consenting to be used by those whose hearts are pure and souls are strong. Rashin's heart was pure, Rashin's heart was strong. This was his song, and his magic, and his power.

And he lay his head down in his gentle fur, and listened to the song of his soul, and let the sound of his blood flowing lull him to slumber.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Slunush

A slight glow of hesitation passed on Slunush's orb.
    "-It may work.
    But from my experience, when a cluster of matter is too far away from significant gravity, it just stagnate, burning its own energy without transforming. These models are stable but never really reach greatness. Isolated stars shine for themselves and die alone, if I may say.

But your answer has the advantage of not destroying any part of the creation. So let's give it a try. It will always be time to correct things eventually."

18. - Top - End - #78

And the cosmos pulsed once again. The desire to create had been fulfilled. The heavens rejoiced in the new found life. But there was more to see, there was more to create.

And thus the dawn of mortals came to be; each race rising from the mold of the gods. They looked upon the land and began to live.

The gods found great enjoyment in their greatest of creations. But something was amiss.

Had the gods erred? No, that cannot be, they are perfect and their power unquestionable. But then what was this weakness they felt? And why would their children not acknowledge them? Their power had waned! Was this some cruel trick by the cosmos?

Then a thought, a word came to be: faith.

Of course! How could such simple creatures grasp the concept of these perfect beings? How could an ant understand the stars? This perplexed the gods immensely, for they had not exerted such effort to make these creatures so intangible.

But the truth was right in front of them. The cosmos had gifted these mortals with something that had once only been given to gods: free will. And it was this gift that left the gods unable to cast their power upon the mortals easily. For first, they must make them believe...

Spoiler
    Show

HA! You thought turn two would be the start of the game, well guess again. Consider this, prologue part 2.

Turn Length: about 5,000 years

The mortals are simple at this time, they can communicate and will live by the standard you desire, however, you need to RP how you make your people believe in you and why they should follow you.

I'm not going to be very strict on how much convincing you need to make them do, but for now, you can't tell them to really do anything. That will start next turn.

I want this turn to be an explanation of how your people live and grow and interact, so avoid outright conflict with other races.

Here are the maps:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bright Side

Dull Side

The red dots represent large/powerful volcanoes
    The Green areas are the super forests that Rashin made
    The Sea Green squares are the fountains that Sarathalus made
    The orange areas are deserts, the green dots in them are large oases
    Darker areas are mountains, lighter areas are valleys and low lands
    Kazko's Scar actually goes completely around the planet but only affected one continent

Space

The greenish dots are Slunush's comets
    This map is not exactly to scale (Virgos is supposed to be farther away)

If you think there is something absolutely wrong/missing, just say so in the OOC. If I agree with you I will change it, but I am pretty much set on the current maps.

And as for where your people appear and how, that is up to you.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Virgos

Virgos wandered the clouds in an avatar, viewing the Star Dwellers from afar. It was interesting to Virgos that they had woken from their non-existence into existence. On the enchanted clouds the Star Dwellers lead a simple existence, eating birds and occasionally going to the mountains to eat on olives. As it was, the Star Dwellers lead a mediocre life in all respects. The Star Dwellers were not too troubled with bad lives or too excited with their positive experiences.

Virgos decided that he would show himself and deliver his people from ignorance of the ways of magic, to make life a study for them, so they may grow in knowledge of the Cosmos, and become wise and pure. Virgos appeared as a great, shining creature with the face of a Star Dweller. Virgos leaked energy of purity and wisdom, causing hundreds of Star Dwellers to beg, demand, and plead for his knowledge.

Virgos taught the people ways of simple magic.. How to manipulate the fabric of the universe in order to achieve their desires without exertion. The first Wizards appeared, combining the aspects of Virgos, The Power of Knowledge, the Power of the Mind, and the Power of Purity, with sheer magic in order to become wise and strong among the many people out their.

Virgos taught the people to create Enclaves on the mountains so that they may somehow meet other races. The Star Dwellers adopted the first government from Virgos'es parables, fables, stories and guidance, becoming an Elder Council. (Somewhat of a Democracy/Republic mix)

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Essent's cavern in the sea grew darker as the millenia passed by. Early on, he had released a small portion of his essence which would wash up on a nearby shore. This split into a small group of creatures which appeared to have some significant cat-like features. In their slumber, they would recieve subtle hints to build huts, fish, find fresh water, and other necessities to survive.

Their eternal father never making his presence known, simply watched them...just watching.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yakru

The god observed these strange mortals that suddenly appeared in the desert. HE certainly did not make them, or at least he was sure he had not. He began to toy with them. First, he sent some crocodiles downstream. They at first caused terror when they attacked their first victims, but his brutish reed reptiles were eventually eaten and turned into clothing.

Yakru was delighted. He continued to match wits with them, only to see how they would adapt and overcome new complications.

When these creatures formed something like a society, Yakru decided to make himself known to them, but not directly. That would not be fun at all. One night, he gathered several bones of hyenas and crocodiles in the center of a decent sized conclave. He made sure to make plenty of noise as he did so.

When he was ready, he animated the corpses and made them dance. They darted into tents each to grab some item of value or importance. They would lead these creatures to the healing waters of the desert and there, he would make himself known.

Spoiler
    Show
    Edited to establish that I am not messing with the Kadun, but the nameless desert folk that Yakru will tend over.

The conclusion to this will be posted soon enough.
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2009-03-08 at 01:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

The new presense beneath her was startling. Ora felt their conciousness, their gift. They were more like herself than anything that had been created so far, a perfect mix of everything these beings and herself had been working on plus the very essence that was the gods. They were facinating.

Slowly Ora drifted low to the world again, watching the many spceies flood apon it and develop their own god-minds. In her swamps, the great decay, she first saw the simplest of this odd people, huddled together in small groups all around and simply watching the world change around them, and she could taste her own energy lightly emanating from their minds. These would be her people.

Ora decided that they needed to gather, to hear her word. So she sent to them a Calling, a need to gather in the Great Cavern. There they would live and listen to her word. She wait patiently as the small groups arrived, one by one.

Spoiler
    Show
    Woot, getting my species together. They have a primal need to live together now!
    Last edited by Gnomish Wanderer; 2009-03-07 at 09:51 PM.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

((Assuming it is my people that smiley is messing with...))

These...abominations, walking skeletons which attempted to advance on the Kadun beaches would never make it through the night upon nearing their goal, seeming to be devoured by the darkness itself. A silent voice echos throughout the shadows. No...

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Ur Alpha

The beast of war looked upon the sapients that had been drawn to the Kinstones, the Seeds of War. From what the god could tell, they had descended from the rejects of foxes and wolves, that would not live in harmony as their creator had intended. Was it a natural occurance, a mishap Rashin had not foreseen, or the power of the Kinstones? That would remain a mystery, at least for now.

The creatures fell into a simple cycle: Nurtured in the first year, mating in the second year, nurturing their own children in the third year, defending the group in the fourth year, and succumbing to old age in the fifth year. Without some sort of guidance, they could never worship Ur Alpha.

So, guidance was provided. Any of the tribe's afflicted would be brought before a Kinstone to be sacrificed for food if they could not provide children, a dread affair that attracted the whole group. When the time seemed right, a child was marked with such a burden, but not in a normal manner. The lives that could have been fueled the youth's own longevity, and empowered her soul with the gift of magic. The power would remain dormant, for a time, until she would be judged as neccesary for sacrifice. Then, and only then, would the trap be sprung.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Sarathalus

Sarathalus was pleased. His people had finally come! He had known, somehow, that this day would come. Of course, his timing was just a little off. No matter, what was a few billion years to a God?

He watched as they laughed and played, swam and hunted. The great reef that had formed from his somewhat early attempt at a home had proved to be a better dwelling than the city he had originally planned. The abundance of life in the reef proved fruitful, and so food was readily available. Large predators could not enter most of the reef, and the smaller predators mostly left his children alone.

His children prospered. The abundant food and lack of predators helped immensely, as did the reefs protection from the worst of the weather. However, there was a downside. His people had no incentive to improve. Sarathalus pondered this as the years passed.
    He made sure his people knew who he was. He communicated in dreams (He? Yes.....Sarathalus decided he would be a Father, and the ocean the mother of his people). These dreams causes his people to move around the reef, so as to not strip an area bare.
    While traveling, there were inevitably injuries. His people quickly learned to use the tools available to deal with this: The life around them. With little prompting, they learned to make bandages from the kelp around them, tools from the coral and stone, food from the fish and crabs. They even managed to grow fruit on some of the surrounding islands, although that was more a happy accident than planning.
    Direct intervention came early in the life cycle, when the pain of childbirth arrived. This was unlike anything his people had ever known before, and they knew not what to do. One night, one of his people who would one day be called a Shaman, or Shaper, had a dream sent directly by his God.

What troubles you, my son? Your sleep is restless, and my people cry out in pain?

Father, your people do not know how to deal with what is happening! The pain is too much, and we loose as many mothers as we save. We must do something! Help us!

...Find the this creature, and place it on the mother. It should relieve the pain.

I will Father.

The nameless shaman then found an electric ray, and placed it over the site of pain. The electric shock from the ray deadened the pain. This proved to be incrediably useful, and set the people on the path of life.....
    Last edited by Krrth; 2009-03-08 at 12:23 AM.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Kaeltha, Creater of the Dim Sun, Barrenizer of Half the Planet, and Potential Ally to Smiley_

Kaeltha sat on his sun. He felt his power wane, and was disturbed. This was not normal... He descended upon the planet, and travelled to his barren half. He saw the people living there, They would help him regain his power, he was sure.

He looked at them, they were strange beasts. Not like any animals that had been created before, but they lived like he would live himself, in peace and law but training for combat. He would name them Deathincar, for they were his will incarnate. He looked at them, and they lived near the Depelaw, his previous creations, and saw that there was a relationship that could happen here.

So Kaeltha did herd the Depelaw, and he gave them as a gift to the Deathincar, and he did say "These are Depelaw, they are your friends, your steeds, your blood, your pets and your equals. Treat them well, as they are a gift from me, your deity Kaeltha"

Spoiler
    Show
    So. Godly act this turn is to gift the Depelaw to the Deathincar, and the Depelaw become "domesticated". They live side by side as equals almost. The Deathincar will eventually (once they train the Depelaw a bit) be able to use them as mounts.
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

The Con Bar by Dorion Soth

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

And Rashin did awaken, and he did look into the shadows and found there the spark of life. He took the spark, and gave it the essence of the fox, and the essence of the wolf, and the essence of the coyote, and the essence of the panther and the puma, and the essence of the red hawk, and the essence of the owl.

And this spark did give birth to such wonderful creatures - some like the fox, some like the wolf, some like the coyote and the hawk. They were wise and cunning, yet strong and swift as well. Rashin laughed with joy, and whispered their name to them - Ranulf.

And the Ranulf did prosper in his great forest, spreading out across the land. Strangely, they divided themselves into groups, depending upon which essence they had. The Hawk Ranulf did not live with the Wolf Ranulf, nor did the Fox Ranulf with the Cat Ranulf. Rashin was dismayed at their foolishness, for did not the coyote and fox and wolf hunt together as a pack? They needed to be taught a new way.

Rynval, son of Birka, hunter of the Fox Ranulf

Rynval laughed as he leaped after the stag, bounding from branch to boulder to root to tree. The animal was fast - much faster than any prey he'd hunted before - and it was exhilarating to run with it and after it. Eventually, it would tire and fall, and Rynval's claws would fell it with honor. But for now, he simply kept moving.

The stag charged through the underbrush, into the middle of a clearing. It slowed, stopped, knelt at the water to drink. Rynval slowed as well, tired despite himself. He strode over to the stag, raising his claws to slay it.

My son! You have come! Blessings upon your head, and welcome to my dwelling! Rynval turned, to see a great glowing fox sunning itself on a rock, its burning fur the color of blood - with blue swirls like water constantly moving through it - and eyes like emeralds. No need to look so shocked, my son. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Rashin, and you stand within my holy of holies. Remove thy sandals in thy father's presence. Shaking, Rynval knelt and took off the hide-bound sandals he wore, casting them off. "I-I am Rynval, son of Birka, a simple hunter." Rashin laughed, a warm sound that lifted Rynval's heart. Indeed, a simple hunter. But you shall become more than that. My son, I wish to teach you the ways of the SONG that flows through your heart. I wish to teach you how to become a true leader of my children, for they scatter themselves. Will you accept my teaching, my son?

Rynval nodded. "How could I say no?"
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Slunush

Among the creatures roaming Rashin, most were still beasts and plants, without the intelligence to achieve greatness or even to develop beyond what their physical abilities allowed them to endure. Most but not all.

In the endless steppes and grassy hills surrounding the desert where the Glass Bridge stood, strange creatures seemed to act differently than most animals. With a weight of a little less than a ton, they had four hoofed feet which supported their horse-like body while their torso had two ape-like arms, each with 5 digits, arranged in such a way that they could seize objects and manipulate them, even going so far as to use them like specialized limbs.

They were hunters, using their speed and endurance to outrun their preys, killing young wildebeests, zebras, impalas, warthogs and other large animals, though they still feared most of the dinosaur species. Over the centuries, they had learned to make tools and weapon such as javelins and axes. As their preys traveled across the continent, so did they, following the herds and picking the weaks for meat and clothing, though the latter was kept minimal, thanks to the heat of this region. They were already able to communicate with great complexity, calling themselves "the Centaurs". If disputes existed, there didn't seem to exist a true rivalry between the various groups.

The fact that these creatures traveled and lived in close groups pleased Slunush. For countless times, the Flame God had looked over the Creation, observing the way mortals lived, helping species to survive...and now, he decided he would focus on this one.

His first gift was the fire. Calling upon the Fire Dust, he made small firecamps burst to life near the Centaur groups. This didn't go as planned, as the Centaurs just fled at the first sign of flames...

Spoiler
    Show

The Centaurs are born. A race of hunters, not apex predators because of the dinosaurs but I'll deal with the saurians latter.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Malrion

Malrion wandered the hills and mountains he had created when he stumbled upon...something. Curious, he studied the things. Small height, but a rather robust build. Lots of hair. They were living in a cave that opened out into the edge of the forest at the foot of the mountains.

Malrion was pleased to see the creatures working together as a group. As he watched, he saw them sacrifice themselves for the good of the group. These, he decided, would be his people. But how to reach them? After much thought on the matter, Malrion decided he would speak to them in visions and dreams.

And so he sent such a message to the whole tribe in the same night: a vision of living in the hills and mountains, with vast herds and farmland stretched out before them to sustain them. When they awoke the next morning, the whole tribe was abuzz with what they quickly decided was a shared experience. And the word on every tongue was the one that had ended the vision: Malrion.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Ur Alpha

The youth was no longer a youth, and it was proven that she could not bear child. Although she fought fiercely, she was dragged before the Kinstone and bound to it with leather rope so that she may be cut open and feasted upon. At this moment, Ur Alpha both awakened her dormant potential for magic and took the form of her amplified silhouette. As the beast of war spoke, the first shaman broke free of her binds with supernatural might and moved her mouth to match the words of her god.

"My creatures, my Kin, this daughter of the hunters will not be sacrificed. Although she does not bear child, she bears long life and power divine, gifted unto her by I who planted the Kinstones as the seeds of war. She shall provide council to the chieftains in the years to come, and in time will pass her boon on to another. Heed my disciple, and in return the Kin shall know the bounty of the victorious hunt for all time." With these words, the shaman lost conciousness from the intense strain of channeling the beast of war, and pictographic runes formed upon the Kinstone, and began to glow with the same light as Ur Alpha, who's size swelled from matching the Kinstone's height until the ten meter cairn barely came up to the god's knee. "This Kinstone is the southernmost. Press north, and you will find more Kinstones and the fertile hunting grounds that have grown around them. My shamans will be able to speak to one another between the Kinstones, so know that your territory shall be watched over. Now, my presence has drawn forth a herd of grazing beasts in the northwest."

Shrinking down to the same size as the tribe's chieftain, Ur Alpha pointed in the indicated direction. Indeed, in the silence that followed his speech the thunder of hooves could be heard. "Let the hunt begin!"