New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Dame Morbid's Tourney, Team 7

Amidst the muffled rumbling of the crowd, and the intermittent blare of a rude-sounding horn, the room of gladiators slowly comes to life. It's mid-morning in the bunkhouse where combatants are allowed free room and board--although "allowed" is a somewhat misleading term, as it is prohibited to leave the confines of the arena until the fights are over. Breakfast is spartan but well-made, though few of the combatants are relaxed enough to enjoy the meal. Most of the competitors are engaged in mentally psyching themselves up, trying to dispel their anxiety and force themselves into full wakefulness. That rude-sounding horn blares once more, cutting through the fog of sleep. An otherwise mute hobgoblin stands by the main doors, his tarnished horn still bellowing out one note. Another round is starting up, and he motions to five people in turn.

You know the rules. Looking around, you size up the people who will be backing you up in fights that will likely be lethal. The combatants in the room who weren't chosen lower their heads back down, continuing their activities.

You suit up, and are led into the tunnel leading to the arena's main area. A low rumble becomes a deafening roar as you near the crowd. Grey light shines through the portcullis at the end of the tunnel, and a scarred man at the entryway says "You'd best be getting your introductions out of the way now--you won't have any time once the fighting starts."
    Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2009-03-01 at 04:13 AM.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Dame Morbid's Tourney, Team 7

Illithen Alrinel
    46/46 AC-20 Fort-17 Ref-18 Will-15 Surges 8/8
    Passive Insight-14
    Passive Perception-21
    Initiative-(d20+10)[23] (Presuming +2 Combat Leader Bonus from Warlord)
    Group Awareness-+1 to perception to non-elf allies within 5 squares.

Illithen stood up from where he was sitting, and picked up his longbow. He followed the others from the bunkhouse, into the tunnel leading to the main arena. He turned to view them, two, like him, looked like they came from the forest, the others looked formiddable but their style of fighting was less familiar to him.
    Greetings Teammates, My name is Illithen Alrinel. My eye is keen, and my blades are sharp. I look forward to fighting by your side this fine day.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Emerend of the Vultures
    HP 40/40; AC 20, Fort 14, Ref 18, Will 19; Surges 8/8

A clean-cut, pale-skinned, dark-haired elf limps into the tunnel, using a simple wooden staff with odd, totemic marks on it as a crutch. He is dressed in plain hide with a dead tree burned onto the chest. A patch on his left sleeve depicts a vulture eating a corpse. Several pouches are arrayed on his belt, and a longbow is strapped to his back. Wintergreen eyes survey those assembled around him, glad to see the one he hunts isn't one of the men protecting his back.

"Good morning, gentlemen. I hope that I might be of some service to you in the upcoming battle, and that, in turn, you will prove helpful to me, as I have some small matter of businees to accomplish before this tourney is done." Emerend smiles with no friendliness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+12)[27] (+2 from Warlord included)

Also, could someone explain to me the Bravura thing, as I do not have a Martial Power.
    Rumplestiltskin Lives!

"Candle Jack. Candle Jack. One more time, and ya can't take it back."
    Emerend of the Vultures, Bounty Hunter become Gladiator

4. - Top - End - #4

Spoiler
    Show
    Bravura Presence: When an ally who can see you spends an action point to take an extra action and uses the action to make an attack, the ally can choose to take advantage of this feature before the attack roll. If the ally chooses to do so and the attack hits, the ally can either make a basic attack or take a move action after the attack as a free action. If the attack misses, the ally grants combat advantage to all enemies until the end of his or her next turn.
    log log log

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Valorious Hafthewer stands before you!
    HP 45/45, Surges 10/10, Surge value 15
    AC 20, Fort 18, Ref 14, Will 17

Initiative: (1d20+5)[13]

A massive, "jovial" being wearing a mass of metal, Hafthewer examines his teammates with battle-crazed eyes and a wicked, nigh-insane grin.

Stick with me... it's going to be fun tonight!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Rangrim Thornbeard
    HP: 49\49 /AC:20/ Fort: 18/ Ref: 16/ Will: 20
    Surges: 10\10 /Value: 12

Initiative: (1d20+9)[14]

"It is an honor to meet you, Master Elf."

The dwarf pulls back his hood to reveal his dirt covered face and his beard is laced with twigs and thorns.

"You may call me Rangrim"

His green cloak and brown robe show signs of wear and the dwarven script that lines the hems can no longer be read. Though he obviously doesn't need, his staff is a thing of beauty. The butt of the staff is covered in bronze while the other is shaped in the style of a bear's head. Just below the head hang several symbols, including a shell (representing the path he walks), a hammer (representing where he is from) and a bear claw (representing his connection to the primal beast).

"Come, Melora smiles upon us today. To battle!"
    Last edited by Blackdrop; 2009-03-01 at 11:49 PM.
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Myrdinn, Eladrin Wizard
    Init +4 HP 41/41 Bloodied 20 Healing Surge 10 (0 used /8)
    AC 17 Fort 14 Reflex 16 Will 17 Speed 6
    Str 10 (+2) Con 14 (+4) Dex 14 (+4) Int 18 (+6) Wis 14 (+4) Cha 12 (+3)
    'Magic Missile', 'Illusory Ambush', 'Fey Step', 'Wand of Accuracy', 'Force Orb', 'Color Spray', 'Sleep', 'Flaming Sphere', 'Acid Arrow', 'Expeditious Retreat', 'Shield', 'Master's Wand of Scorching Burst +1'
    Notes

An Eladrin strides out of the tunnel, a look of mild dismay upon his features. He is not an unusual Eladrin specimen. He has the standard slimness and chiseled features expected from any Eladrin, as well as the typical blond hair and green eyes. He wears simple, traditional red wizard's robes; again, a wholly unremarkable Eladrin wizard. What does, however, set him apart is his hair -- he has cut it short, where most Eladrin let it grow unhindered -- and his equipment -- he carries a wand in one hand, and a longsword in the other. He looks at his comrades, and begins to speak.

"They call me Myrdinn. Brothers, we must fight well this day. Be ready. Dame Morbid could throw anything at us."
    My life for Aiur Ioun.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

I started mine on a ship being attacked by a Sea Kraken.

8. - Top - End - #8

A hush falls over the audience as you enter the arena. The arena is a square area, depressed about 10 feet into the ground. Elevated above the fighting pit are rows and rows of graduated stone bleachers. At the very top, a balcony juts from the far end of the arena; there sits the veiled Dame Morbid, flanked by two oddly proportioned trolls in lacquered red full plate. Above the arena, low grey clouds obscure most of the sky. Sun breaks through in places, shining down on an arena marred by long dark chasms.

At the southwest corner of the arena, a portcullis to mirror your own clangs shut. A tall man stands before it, long blonde hair glowing in the sun. He wears a long white cloak, adorned with fiery emblems on the sleeves and trim; a small crystal orb set in cold iron hangs from his neck, and his acquiline features bear an expression of arrogance shading into eager anticipation. He spreads his arms wide, and calls out: "Alleine! Kill them!"

A low wind arises, whistling in your ears. As you request, a ghostly voice hisses.

Something black and vaguely-formed shifts in the clouds above, then grows to spread between them. In seconds, the arena is dark. Two whirlwinds begin to form in the patches of light, obscuring whatever may lie inside ... and glowing eyes begin to open in the shadows, as a multitude of silhouettes coalesce from the darkness.

Battle Report:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:
    27 Emerend of the Vultures (E)
    23 Illithen Alrinel (I)
    18 The Enemy
    14 Rangrim Thornbeard (R)
    14 Myrdinn (M)
    13 The Wind
    13 Valorious Hafthewer (V)
    10 The Shadows

Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2009-03-23 at 01:30 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Illithen Alrinel
    46/46 AC-20 Fort-17 Ref-18 Will-15 Surges 8/8
    Passive Insight-14
    Passive Perception-21
    Initiative-23
    Group Awareness-+1 to perception to non-elf allies within 5 squares.

As the shadows swirled around them, Illithen's sharp eyes adjusted quickly to the gloom, the thin shafts of light nearby breaking the darkness reminded him of his forest home. He was reminded of the perils of his home also, as the shadows coalesced and took form in front of him. He readied his bow, moving towards them slightly and let loose two shafts at the closest two clouds of thickened shadow.

Spoiler
    Show

Move action- Move to 17F
    Standard Action-Twin shot at the shadow-things in E15 and F14.
    At E15 Attack-(d20+8)[24] v AC (Taking into account -2 for concealment and +1 for Prime shot)
    Damage-(d10+5)[13]
    At F14 Attack-(d20+8)[26] v AC (Taking into account -2 for concealment and +1 for Prime shot)
    Damage-(d10+5)[13]
    Last edited by Anonomuss; 2009-03-23 at 02:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Emerend the Vulture, doesn't bide his time.
    HP 40/40; AC 22 (+2 vs OAs), Fort 14, Ref 18, Will 19; Surges 8/8

Heh, we can end this now. Emerend hesitates just a moment to assess the situation and allow the archer to fire his arrows, and then he takes off at a dead, loping run.

When he breaks into the light, Emerend raises his staff and whips it, two-handed, at the tall figure on the far end. As he brings it over his head, a thorny vine explodes from the top, and he throws this forward, attempting to drag his opponent to a quick end.

Spoiler
    Show
    Minor Action Barkskin Armor for +2 AC (-1 for each of first two hits)

Move Action: Run to K-12, granting combat advantage.

Standard Action: Thorn Whip on the tall man at U12.
    Attack: (1d20+3)[23], -5 from running already included.
    Hit: (1d8+6)[11] damage, and the target is pulled into the chasm at S4 unless he makes a save.

Once I see the roll, I may just use Elven Accuracy.
    Last edited by Rumplestiltskin; 2009-03-24 at 02:50 AM.
    Rumplestiltskin Lives!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Emerend smiles coldly as he snatches his target and begins to drag the man toward his fate.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's 23 versus Fort, which I would hope is a crit!!!

14 + (1d6)[3] damage, and he is pulled into the chasm unless he saves. Man, I hope this works.
    Rumplestiltskin Lives!

12. - Top - End - #12

Rangrim Thornbeard
    HP: 49\49 /AC:20/ Fort: 18/ Ref: 16/ Will: 20
    Surges: 10\10 /Value: 12

Following his primal brother's example, Rangrim prepares to engage the three shadows just north of the teams position. He shoulders his staff and pulls a small seed from his beard. He mutters a small incantation and the seed begins to glow red. He smiles and tosses the seed at his opponent.

"Catch!"

Spoiler
    Show

Move Action: C-18 (1 Square)
    Standard Action: Flame Seed
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack: [roll0]
    Damage: [roll1]

Add me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, that was wierd. Let me try that again.
    Attack: (1d20+8)[12]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]
    Add me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Pierced by arrows, two of the shadows dissipate; your enemy takes no notice. Glancing arrogantly over your motley crëw, he pitches his voice to carry above the ring. "What, five of you against ju--aiee!"

With an involuntary yelp, the tall man is abruptly yanked off his feet and into the chasm. A harsh thud marks the point where he slams against the far wall, followed by some frantic scrabbling and a brief flare of orange light.

The crowd bursts into laughter (and not a few cheers).

Hissing in the ethereal wind, you can just barely hear the ghostly sound of... startled giggling?

Battle Report:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You both hit, and the Enemy is yanked down into the gorge. You're pretty sure he managed to catch hold of something before he could fall more than ten or twenty feet, though. (How I'm likely to handle this: you take damage, then make a skill check to grab hold of something; if you fail, you fall more, take more damage, and make another skill check; and so on.)

Next up: Rangrim and Myrdinn, who I really hope didn't vanish in this month's lull.

Also, Rangrim: what with the Enemy having concealment and superior cover, if not total cover, you're pretty sure that your Flame Seed won't hit him. But you're pretty sure of this before your turn actually happens, so you can delete that post and choose to do something else if you want...?

15. - Top - End - #15

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Rangrim actually aimed his flame seed at the shadows. Since the ranger already took two of those out, I assume it is safe to say that Rangrim flame seeds the two to the NW or the two to the E instead.
    Last edited by OneFamiliarFace; 2009-03-26 at 05:20 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by OneFamiliarFace View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rangrim actually aimed his flame seed at the shadows. Since the ranger already took two of those out, I assume it is safe to say that Rangrim flame seeds the two to our NW or the two to our E instead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This. Since the ranger attacked two of the shadows, I just assumed I could as well. Not that I'd hit anything with a 12 attack roll.
    Last edited by Blackdrop; 2009-03-26 at 05:18 AM.
    Add me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Myrdinn leaps swiftly into action, gracefully dashing 20 feet to the north, placing each step perfectly despite the gloom. At the end of his quick sprint, he plants his feet and chants a quick incantion - "OBIDAI, FADULA, BALKAT!" - and a dazzling blast of colored light bursts forth from the tip of his wand, showering the area just north of him.

"Return to the pits from whence you came!" he shouts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: move from B-20 to B-16
    Standard Action: Cast Color Spray (Arcane, Implement, Radiant) in a northward direction with Master's Wand of Scorching Burst +1 as an implement. Affected area: A-D x 11-15 (close blast 5).
    Attack: [roll1d20+7]
    Damage: [roll1d6+4]
    Attack is Int vs. Will. Hit: Deals 1d6+INT mod (+4) radiant damage and dazes targets until my next turn.
    Last edited by GodotIsW8ing4U; 2009-04-02 at 03:07 PM.
    My life for Aiur Ioun.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

18. - Top - End - #18

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn, I've already forgotten how to properly use the dice roller. I think it was something like this?

Attack: (1d20+7)[24]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[7]
    My life for Aiur Ioun.

19. - Top - End - #19

A blast of prismatic light briefly illuminates the entire arena. One shade darts, lizard-like, away from the blinding flare, but two more nearby are obliterated instantly.

In the scintillating after-light of Myrdinn's blast, the twin whirlwinds cease their dance. Within each stands a tall, horned figure. They are obviously trollkin of a sort, but a very unusual sort it must be: their skin is sky blue, like a robin's egg. Though tall as any fen troll, their build is much slighter; the troll's muscular, too-long arms culminate here in wicked silvery claws. Like any troll, their mouths are as the jagged-needle maw of a dire shark; their dark eyes are much larger than normal, resembling those of a gecko or lizard; and their heads are topped by great horns, like those of a stag. It is done.

From the canyon, a muffled decree: ”Then kill that elf! ...and don't touch the fairy, I want his eyes."

The sky-trolls glance at one another. Then, each focusing with hawklike intensity on one of the two elves in the arena, they leap forward.

Battle Report:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illithen and Emerend, you are the targets of an oath of enmity. When you’re the only enemy adjacent to your trollkin nemesis, it can make his attack rolls twice and take the higher result. Whenever any of your allies (that is, not you) hits it, it gains a cumulative +4 to damage against you until its next turn ends.

Next up, Valorious Hafthewer; then the shadows; then, back at the top, Illithen and Emerend.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Valorious Hafthewer
    HP 45/45, Surges 10/10, Surge value 15
    AC 20, Fort 18, Ref 14, Will 17

Readies his axe, and with a wicked grin set on his face, charges at the trollkin at C14 (ending movement at square D15).

Attack: (1d20+10)[14] vs AC
    Damage: (1d12+6)[4](10)+(1d8)[3] (total 13, but it's not likely to hit anyway...) damage
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-04-04 at 06:36 PM.