New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default NotD: The Sunless Citadel

Oakhurst, several hundred miles South-East of Dawn of Glory.
    This small town in the woods of Tanzen is a small humble village consisting mostly of humans, but is not without a small smattering of other races. There's the merchants row, where people sell their wares, the local town guard where peace is kept, though it rarely needs doing, and the Ol' Boar Inn.
    Rumors about town tell of a sort of ritual this town goes through every year, one involving nearby goblin tribes. They bring about a fruit, a corpse-white apple which is utterly poisonous, in midwinter. No such apple is known to be around Oakhurst. The towns people know all too well not to touch any white apples, lest the goblins get their way and kill a townsman or two.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: NotD: The Sunless Citadel

Ena wakes up in the Ol' Boar Inn. She slips on her dark coat and boots, ties her inky black hair back, and rubs the sleep out of her eyes.

She grabs her pack and glides quickly downstairs to the tavern.

She sits at the bar and orders a simple ham, eggs and coffee for breakfast. The Barkeep nods his head and scribbles the order down on a piece of parchment.

She, then, waits at the bar.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."

-Abraham Lincoln
    Love wins.
    my blog.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Daenys wearily wanders forth from the northside of the village. To his misfortune, he had set up camp early last night, not knowing that the village only lay a few miles away. The night had been cold and the ground hard, and he could use a bath. With that in mind, he asks for a way to the nearest inn from one of the other early wakers on the street.

At the Ol' Boar Inn he goes straight to the bartender, asking for a room, a hot bath, and a breakfest in bed.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question Re: NotD: The Sunless Citadel

Atthias
    As usual, Atthias has come to this particular backwater seeking a bit of knowledge to add to his already impressive collection. Specifically, the rumors of a strange ritual and an otherworldly white poisonous apple fascinate him.

Wearing his simple blue overcoat, the pale half-elf steps along the dirty streets of the merchant's row, asking a question here or there of the local villagers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information: (1d20+4)[20] (Any more details on the rumors?)

Once he feels that he has exhausted the possibilities here, Atthias will return to the Ol' Boar Inn where he spent the night and see if there is anyone worth talking to there at this hour of the morning.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Kaluath
    Wrapping his robe tighter around himself, the Mujuon pushed open the doors to Oakhurst's very own Ol' Boar Inn. The vestment did little to cover his large white wings, and Kaluath took care not to let them get in the way of his entrance.

A wave of excitement washed over him, just as when he first entered the village. So this was a Land-dweller's tavern, a topic oft-mentioned amongst young trainees at Solanis. His peers had said that such places make the perfect start for adventures, whether it be real or the kind where people discussed tall tales and played with strange looking rocks. Either way, Kaluath was excited, since this would mark a good start for his very own journey.

As he wandered over to the barkeep, his thoughts drifted back to Ruathi and he remembered the reason he'd gone this far outside his people's zone of comfort. Speaking of comfort, Kaluath made a small grimace as his stomach grumbled in protest. Rations ran out quickly in the wilds, and he was not used to hunting for prey in the plains. Making a brief reminder to stock up before leaving, he ordered breakfast and asked the barkeep if there had been any sightings of dragons lately.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

The barkeep deals with each person's requests, giving keys to room, meals and glasses of whatever they care to afford. The barkeep appears to be a rough but jolly old man with long grey hair tied back and exposing a receding hairline. His beard is somewhat short and messy, just as grey as his hair. He greets you all the same way, "It's a pleasure to meet you!" His voice seems old and ragged, but light and full of warmth.

He listens to Atthias' questions and queries, raising his eyebrows knowingly and looking ready to speak what he knows. "Some folk are saying there were some adventurers passing through here and went off toward goblin territory and jus' didn't show back up 'round here. Rightly so, I reckon, seein' as cattle herders who go too far toward there end up dead. Fulla holes, as I hear."
    He speaks also with a man sitting alone at a table fiddling with scrolls and bone dice, messy brown hair and an unshaven face tell you he's not one for grooming, but the look on his face belays more wisdom than one may think otherwise. "I hear the Sunless Citadel is a place locked deep in goblin territory... Place like that interests me but I'm not the stock to be tough enough to wander in, even with a group. What I hear though, is that it's become a retreat for an ancient cult... one that worships dragons."

When the mujuon comes into the tavern the barkeep takes notice of him quick, raising eyebrows in fascination. He also answers his questions with a thoughtful look, "Dragons y'say? I actually have heard o' one in lands not too far, but not too close to worry me none. Road to the goblin territory borders a place they call... er, the uh... Ah! The Ashen Plain... say a dragon's goin' about on a rampage. Heard it's name but I reckon I forgot it."
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-03-09 at 03:57 AM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

7. - Top - End - #7

Atthias
    "Why would a place with such a foreboding name interest you?" Atthias asks the man with the scrolls and dice, a curious but friendly tone to his voice, "Few who travel up that way seem to return, how did you come to know so much about that land...and might you know how could I learn more?" He adds offhandedly, "If you fancy a wager, we could even make a game of it. Life is more interesting that way."

Atthias turns then, caught off guard by the entrance of the striking figure with two large white wings. "I wonder what sort of business brings someone like him here..."
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2009-03-09 at 09:51 PM.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Kaluath

"Ashen Plains, is it? This piece of news is much appreciated."

The mujuon said as he gratefully accepted his meal. He spent a few moments pondering this information in silence, sheepishly aware of his presence in the tavern. He turned to take a quick look around him and briefly caught the eyes of a half-elf. Turning back to his food as quickly as he could, Kaluath stared at the plate, becoming even more self-conscious. He was a stranger in a strange land, an experience he had never undergone before, and it made him nervous. His wings shifted slightly, as if to cover up his figure. He tried to relax, focusing on the information the barkeep just provided.

A rampaging dragon? He doubt that was who he sought, but a lead was better than nothing. Glancing up at the barkeep, he voiced another question.

"Pardon me, but would you happen to know more about the nature of this rampaging dragon in the rumours? Also, which road should I take to reach the Ashen Plains?"

Spoiler
    Show
    No matter the answer, Kaluath will pay for his stay with an additional tip for the information. I guess around 7 silver pieces would be fine?

9. - Top - End - #9

Atthias

Atthias shrugs, turning his attention back to other man, "So, where were we?" He smiles, "Ah yes, how did you come to know so much about a place few return from...and how can I learn more?"

~Kahlil Gibran

10. - Top - End - #10

(Hey everyone, Krimm approved me for this game, but started it while I was dead to the internet, so sorry to post late, but I should post regularly from now on.
    He approved me to have my character take over for the NPC that Kaihaku's character is talking to)

Barraster Tessander

The fellow with the dice turns to look at the Winged man as Atthias mentioned him, distracted for a moment, but smiles slyly back at Atthias when he speaks to him again, in a voice loud enough for anyone with a care to listen to.

"Ah, how do I come by my information. I am sorry kind sir, but my sources prefer to remain anonymous, due to their...natures. As long as your will is strong, you can deal with ilk of their kind and not let it corrupt you, quite...
    Regardless I know what I know, and I'm sure we can strike up a wager if you're that determined."

He pulled his lips back, revealing his yellowed, ragged teeth, and licking his lips slowly, in a strange and unsettling look of deep thought, then closed his mouth again

"Yes, alright. I will take you, and whatever merry band of friends and companions you may or may not have, to the Sunless Citadel. I wager you cannot convince those vile goblins to let you in alive. You win the wager if you can get us in safely, and your winnings will be my assistance in whatever your business is there. If I win our little wager, then I will sneak in the citadel, wading through the chaos of your slaughter if necissary, and I will win whatever wonders are inside."

He puts his elbow down on the table, extending his arm and grinning "Care to take your chances?"
    Last edited by Regord_Silentflame; 2009-03-10 at 07:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Me: When I started the adventure, my character was handed a bag full of 100 MW daggers.
    Will: Wow, that's, 30,000gp. That's more than you can get with a wish spell
    Me: Yeah, it was more than I could ever wish for.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Desmond

As bold men speak of rogue dragons and ruthless goblins, Desmond lies, face down, in a cold pool of slaver, his own ale-tinted drool matting his hair, like a thick-woven spider's web holding back the branches of a bush that has grown wild and unpruned, a shaggy crop of brown hair more mane than coif. However, as words of adventure slip free into the air and light upon his too-long ears, he stirs, a few sparks rekindling the embers of a fire that has lain dim for too long. With a resounding thud, he smites the table he rests on with his fist, and bolts upright, nearly leaping from his seat to confront the assembled adventurers.

"The Sunless Citadel, you sa–" He pauses for the most embarrassing of moments, not nearly daintily removing the glistening of drool from his face with the back of his hairy hand. "The Sunless Citadel, you say? Brave words for any man." His voice is clearly one unacquainted to brave words, a reedy lilt whose refined accent betrays no little sum of education. The man's muscles, so well hidden as to be nonexistent, and considerable heft lend weight to the picture of him as a man far removed from the battlefield–and yet, he wears thick, rusted mail.

"If any would go into that storied hall of depravity, then they would best have at their back the hand-strength of thirty men, and copious battle-sweat to shed. I give you mine." he declaims. And, strange as the claim may be, the leather-wrapped glaive he hefts up from beneath the benches seems well-wielded, grooves worn into its wood neatly filling the grasp of the would-be warrior's fingers.

"My name is Desmond Renard, and I...glaive very well."
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

12. - Top - End - #12

"Your terms are based on..." Atthias is cut off by the awakening of the drunken man and his bold introduction. He arches an eyebrow, appraising this new figure, then he shrugs, "If you so desire, that's your decision, what I'm after I'll have no matter the outcome..."

He turns back to the first man, a smile on his face, "It might strike a man of your cunning as doubtful but you have just committed two mistakes. The first is an error of assumption, the second is an error of reason." The half-elf takes his offered hand with the same smile, "I accept your terms, it should prove an interesting gamble."

He turns back to the second man, "Desmond, if it is true that fortune favors the bold then you may just have committed yourself to greatness..." His smile thins a bit, "Of course, if that isn't true, then you may well die unheralded."
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2009-03-11 at 03:00 AM.

~Kahlil Gibran

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Desmond laughs sardonically, his hands tracing out the battle-grain of his halberd's shaft. "I wish it could be called boldness, Elf-kin. That would be a thing much nobler, much greater. No, I go in search of ring-treasures, the luster of hoarded gold. There are many debts I must repay, and street-lore claims the Citadel's vaults are redolent with the scent of forged gold." he says, his nose almost twitching at the mention of it. "All I need is a strong circle of men with me, to press through the dangers of that deadly manse...and ideally a healer as well."
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

14. - Top - End - #14

"As if the two were mutually exclusive..." Atthias shrugs, "Since this is such an important matter for you, why don't you see if you can round up more 'strong men'? You alone hardly make for a circle."

~Kahlil Gibran

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Desmond looks mildly embarrassed at that last remark, and shuffles his hands awkwardly. "Of course not, I didn't mean to say...well, I count you and I, the fellow with the dice, and the gentleman with the wings. It's a start. Strong in body, strong in mind. Perhaps one of us more eloquent than I could, I don't know, make a heroic speech of some sorts? See who in this ale-house would throw in with us?"

16. - Top - End - #16

confused Re: NotD: The Sunless Citadel

"Oh, not up for the challenge after all..." Atthias remarks quietly, "How disappointing."

He clears his throat, getting to his feet, speaking loudly enough for everyone in the room to hear, "Alright, that's settled then! For gold and glory, we'll cut through the goblin tribes and see just what this mysterious dragon cult is hiding!" He frowns, still speaking loudly, "But...can the three of us face the challenges ahead on our own? Surely there's plenty of honor and riches to be shared with a few more brave souls..."

~Kahlil Gibran

17. - Top - End - #17

(Hi guys, looks like I'm another late arrival. Krimm said it was okay for me to join. Would have posted sooner, but my computer's been getting repaired, so my 'net access has been limited.)

Renshi Hiruma)

Renshi awoke with a headache. Of course, considering how much he had drank last night, it should have been a lot worse. Truthfully, he was surprised he was waking up in his room at all, instead of in a heap outside.

'I don't care how drunk I was though.' He thought as he got out of the bed. Slowly. 'That barmaid was damn good looking, especially all the way out here in some farming village.'

He took a moment to throw on a pair of pants and a long-sleeved jacket, both black with green around the edges, over a simple shirt; along with a small green brooch that he wore on a string around his neck. Along with his boots, and an attempt to smooth out his hair, he figured he was presentable enough. 'Time for some of whatever they're serving down there. Gods, don't let it be gruel.'

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    "...haps one of us more eloquent than I could, I don't know, make a heroic speech of some sorts? See who in this ale-house would throw in with us?"
    'A heroic speech, eh? I'd better go down!'

Caught up in his thoughts, He unfortunately discovered that the stairs were a few feet closer then he had previously though, causing him to unbalance and go tumbling down the length of the stairs. Landing in a heap at the bottom.

"Ow..."
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

18. - Top - End - #18

Atthias claps his hands at the display, "Bravo!"

~Kahlil Gibran

19. - Top - End - #19

Ena had been eavesdropping on the conversation between the men, when her attention was redirected to the man laying in a heap at the bottom of the stairs.
    She stood up from her meal and walked over to the man to see if he was still breathing.
    "Are you alright? Are you alive? That was a pretty rough fall..." She said, with her voice full of concern.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."

-Abraham Lincoln
    Love wins.
    my blog.

20. - Top - End - #20

"I'll...I'll be fine." Renshi says as he slowly gets up. "Just me being my clumsy self."

Sighing to himself, he grabs a nearby char and plants himself in it, the fall having taken any feeling of stability that he previously had.

"I hate to sound like an evesdropper," he says to Desmond and Atthias, acting as though his mishap had never happened, "But what is this I hear about challenges and riches?"

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

21. - Top - End - #21

biggrin Re: NotD: The Sunless Citadel

"...so, either you survived the fall..." Atthias comments skeptically, "...or you're undead." He stares intensely at Renshi for a long uncomfortable moment.

"My associates and I will be traveling through dangerous lands to the Sunless Citadel, where it is said that ancient secrets and forbidden treasures can be found. Some seek glory, some seek riches..." He waves his hand, "...neither would much interest you, zombie." He smiles, "But what if I were to guarantee you all of the Goblin corpses you can eat?"
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2009-03-20 at 02:43 AM.

~Kahlil Gibran

22. - Top - End - #22

"Ancient secrets, eh? You know, I've always wanted to go on an adventure. I'd love to take this quest."
    Ena climbs up onto a table so she can be better seen, due to her small stature.
    "Well, I suppose I ought to introduce myself. My name is Ena Greyhill."

-Abraham Lincoln
    Love wins.
    my blog.

23. - Top - End - #23

"Now, don't get me wrong, my friend." Renshi smirks, glad to find someone with a sense of humor. "I love a ood goblin corpse as mush as the next ghoul. I unfortunately have a certain...condition. Goblin corpses make me come down with an awful bloating of my stomach that is just impossible to manage. I have to cut down on them, you see."

"But in lieu of that, I suppose glory and riches will have to do. If you'll have me, of course."

He wants to laugh, but thinks that his chest might explode in pain if he tried.
    Last edited by Ellas Aramond; 2009-03-20 at 11:16 PM.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Not long after the one who fell, another figure descends down the stairs - a bit more carefully. He is dressed in white, clean clothes, fresh from a bath. "The walls here are remarkably thin, and I couldn't help but hear... Perhaps you could use another pair of hands? I must confess, though, my strength is not in physical strength, but I think you'll find my powers adequate for this."

"My name is Daenys. And to save time..." He pulls back the hair from his forehead, revealing two stubs of horns "... despite these my association with powers demonic is non-existant, I assure you. I can't help them, just like an elf can't help his pointy ears. If there's a scholar amongst you, my kind is called the Hellbred. Now, you were talking about... Sunless Citadel, was it?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Desmond

Desmond gapes in astonishment at the nigh-instantaneous convocation of heroes, or something very much resembling heroes. "That's...almost supernaturally convenient. I would imagine that, between us, we could hope to hazard the halls of the dragon's citadel, and face what fang-beasts dwell within. What say you, then? To arms?" His voice betrays a certain wavering, not quite willing to turn his final question into an exclamation.

26. - Top - End - #26

Barraster

Barraster looks at Desmond, a sly look of amusement on his thin, parched lips.
    "From the looks of how easily and quickly you have accomplished your task, either you are a masterful leader, or a genie. I would hope for the latter, since I have many things to wish for myself, but regardless... he turns his attention back to Atthias "It would appear that you have what you need. I must gather my own arms before we depart. I suggest we head out at dusk, and camp once we draw near, so we can awake, and hopefully tackle your task in one day.

He stands up from his seat, looking expectantly for objections from the congregation. If not, he leaves and gets his items from his room, returning to stand outside the tavern and watch people walk by as he waits.
    Spoiler
    Show

Me: When I started the adventure, my character was handed a bag full of 100 MW daggers.
    Will: Wow, that's, 30,000gp. That's more than you can get with a wish spell
    Me: Yeah, it was more than I could ever wish for.

27. - Top - End - #27

Atthias
    Atthias looks at Ena skeptically, "Aren't you a little short to be an adventurer?" Then he shrugs, "I guess we could feed you to the zombie if it starts acting out of line."

"Um...sure, make whatever preparations you need to."

~Kahlil Gibran

28. - Top - End - #28

Ena glares at Atthais. "The next time you make the mistake of discriminating against my size... I'll stab you in your shins."

-Abraham Lincoln
    Love wins.
    my blog.

29. - Top - End - #29

Atthias
    "Touchy, touchy." Atthias replies chidingly.

~Kahlil Gibran

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Kaluath

The conglomeration of adventurers perked the mujuon's interest greatly. He turned to look at the motley collection of people in the tavern, and spoke out almost sheepishly.

"I don't suppose there is room for one more on this quest? I am Kaluath Windstrider, and you have my spear."