New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Finally the four words! (spoiler)

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    No, I said that "Disintegrate. Gust of Wind" was irrelevant if you agreed with my option B; you are quite free to disagree with it if you choose. You then said "I... I must succeed" was irrelevant if I agreed with your option B. I replied saying that I didn't agree. How is that in any way a contradiction?

I admit that there is a possibility that your option B could happen, yes, but I do not think it especially likely. Therefore I don't agree with it, therefore "I... I must succeed" is not irrelevant.
    However, the thrust of my logic was that your reasoning applies equally to both situations, not the "if" we both used. In essence, I was challenging you to show a dissimilarity between the two 4-word groups. If there is no differences in their effect on the current story, neither can be the prophesied set of words.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    That sentence you're replying to there? That was a deliberately flippant and tongue-in-cheek aside (That's why there's a picture of a little blue fellah sticking his tongue out at the end of it). There's no need to "correct" those ones, you know.
    Are you saying that you were being sarcastic, and didn't actually mean that the prophesy would need to be rewritten? If so, all I can say is that you rolled poorly on your sarcasm DC(There's a -20 penalty for using sarcasm on the internet, -10 for using it in an argument, and another -10 for using it with someone who is unfamiliar with you. Please remember that for all your future sarcasm checks*).

Otherwise, I'm lost as to your point on this one.

*I don't actually play D&D, so I'm not sure if I worded the penalties correctly.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Finally the four words! (spoiler)

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Are you saying that you were being sarcastic...?
    No. As I said, I was being flippant, which is not the same thing. More than anything, I didn't want to get dragged into this tedious argument AGAIN and was just looking for a lighthearted sentence to say, yeah, that's me done. And yet here I am. Ng. Ah well, more fool me I s'pose.

However, the thrust of my logic was that your reasoning applies equally to both situations, not the "if" we both used. In essence, I was challenging you to show a dissimilarity between the two 4-word groups. If there is no differences in their effect on the current story, neither can be the prophesied set of words.
    But that's just my point. Their effect on the story is the difference. I don't believe Kubota's death had anything at all to do with where V is now. I do believe V talking himself into the bargain is important, though.

The "If" was pretty much the whole point of my example. Since your example followed my template with different circumstances pasted in, it kinda has to be the point of yours, too.

*I don't actually play D&D, so I'm not sure if I worded the penalties correctly.
    I wouldn't worry about it, neither do I.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.