New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rubicon [IC]

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Rubicon [IC]

Time: Late Afternoon, 8th day of Harvest, 1282
    Weather: Warm, slightly breezy, and partly cloudy.

A cool breeze from the window greets you as you enter the mercenary leader's office. It is a simple place, with grey stone walls and wooden floorboards and filled with the smell of fresh earth. Colorful tapestries and weapons adorn the walls between cases of books and stacks of warped, wooden crates. Beams of light stream in from the windows to your right. Sir Arthur Garreth, the commander of the Oakwood military, sits at a humble wooden table near the center of the room.

He is a tall, powerful man, with many scars that tell of his combat history. He wears a meticulously clean chainmail shirt, with brown leather pants and boots, with leather gauntlets on his hands. His short hair is brown.

Behind him and to the left is his second-in-command, Lady Morana. Considered a black mage by some and a witch by others, she dresses well for her reputation. She wears a tattered but prestigious robe of layered black and purple, and has a brown leather book strapped to her waist by a chain. Her black hair flows behind her, streaked with silver.

"So you finished your training." Garreth speaks with a voice like stone. "Congratulations." Lady Morana pulls a set of necklaces from her pocket. There are six of them, and each one is the same: a small iron coin on a hemp thread. The coin bears the insignia of the Oakwood Mercenaries, two swords crossed behind the face of a dragon.

"These are for you." She says, handing them out to you with a smile on her face.

"You finished just in time." Garreth continues. "We just got an offer for a job I think you trainees... err, mercs can handle. Pinegrove is having some trouble with what the kids are saying is a monster in the woods. None of the adults in the town have seen the creature, and they all say it's a lot like a bedtime story they all tell their kids."

"A case of overactive imagination." Morana explains.

Garreth nods. "But, the kids are convinced and they're driving everyone crazy with their cries. They even refuse to go outside. So, we've agreed to send some men..."

"And women."

"And women to check it out."

Morana absentmindedly plays with a necklace around her neck, but you can't see what it is because it's hidden by her robe. "Just go there, act professional, listen to them, maybe even search around in the woods. It'll make them feel better."

"You'll get paid when you get back. It's roughly ten to fifteen miles away, so you can get there by horse in a few hours." He eyes you all, crosses his arms in front of his chest, and leans back in his chair. "Any questions?"
    Last edited by Mangy Mathan; 2009-03-10 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Fun with Colors! ×3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    The problem, you see, is that your campaign clearly revolves around the divine, and Dungeons and Dragons players are by nature rugged, sexy, staunch individualists who flip the bird at The System whenever possible

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Rubicon [IC]

A some-what short man wearing loose travelers clothes hued in brown and red pipes up "Not here. As long as we have permission to fry it if we DO find something, I'm good. Oh, and if we don't find something there's always a sure fire way to smoke it out." A smile lights back up on him as he finishes, no hint of malice on his face.
    Last edited by gigz; 2009-03-10 at 11:50 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

A fairly plain looking man, starting to show age on his face and dressed in undyed fabrics of beige and brown, raises an eyebrow at his companion's comment, but does not retort. "Do we know how long ago the complaints started?" he asks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

One of the newly-trained Mercs stands straight and disciplined, trying his best to radiate authority and competence - the effort might be somewhat hampered by the fact that he is wearing no armor, carries only a crossbow for a weapon, has on an outfit that clearly needs to be washed(badly) and was just given an assignment that basically screamed 'Nursemaid for the stupid!'
    Still, he seems confident enough - and with a bath and change of clothes, maybe even on the attractive side. He seems to be in fair shape from the Oakwood training system and natural fitness, although few people would call him powerful - the generous would give his 160 pound body the description 'fit.'
    His mid-length brown hair matches his eyes, and his walking gait and facial features mark those aware of such things as someone from a more northern region - possibly a mountainous area.

Once his necklace has been properly put on, he speaks up. "Sir, I won't be needing a horse myself - my Camel should be able to do the job just as well, assuming the stable-hands have taken decent care of..."
    He pauses briefly and turns towards the short man who seems to like using fire-based metaphores a little too much, the look on his face indicating that he had just realized -exactly- what had been said. "Wait, what? If we don't find anything, then what would we be smoking out... Wouldn't we -not- try to smoke anything out until we find out that there is something there in the first place?"
    Last edited by loser0ll; 2009-03-10 at 09:39 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

With open sincerity, the man in red replies "Why would they be saying they saw something it there wasn't something there? Therefore, if we can't find something there's a sure fire way to find it. Right? We wouldn't want to do a job half assed now would we?"
    Last edited by gigz; 2009-03-10 at 11:51 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonnathan looks dumbfounded for a moment. He opens his mouth, but can't quite seem to form an intelligent response. Whether this is because of the strength of the opposing argument or his incredulity at hearing someone actually bother saying those words, in that order, without laughing, is questionable. Finally he replies, clearly trying to hold onto a neutral, diplomatic tone. "You make a very... unique point. Coincidentally, will there be any system of authority for decision-making, in case one of us has an idea that another believes might not be benificial to the task at hand?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Oh, not me. Remember the leadership exercise last week? Yeah, turns out you can't disarm a fire trap by tossing an open water skin on it. I think Yurrik and Toul's eyebrows still haven't grown back. Sounded good in theory though, right? Water and fire don't mix well and all..." He trails off a little, lost in some thought.
    Last edited by gigz; 2009-03-10 at 11:51 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Do we know how long ago the complaints started?"

Lady Morana explains, "About a week ago, but the adults of the village didn't take it seriously until a day or so ago when all the kids refused to go outside for fear of the monster."

Garreth watches Pytor and Jonnathan argue... "Coincidentally, will there be any system of authority for decision-making, in case one of us has an idea that another believes might not be benificial to the task at hand?"

He rubs his forehead as if he has a headache. "I would hope your training together has made you willing to listen and consult with each other, but if it comes down to it, I guess Sage will be in charge. She looks the most like a 'standard' mercenary, so she's what the townsfolk will be looking for. Of course, she's not actually of higher rank than any of you."
    Last edited by Mangy Mathan; 2009-03-10 at 03:36 PM.
    The problem, you see, is that your campaign clearly revolves around the divine, and Dungeons and Dragons players are by nature rugged, sexy, staunch individualists who flip the bird at The System whenever possible

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jolted from his thought, the man in red asks "Oh, right. So, you mentioned the townsfolk thought it resembled a bedtime story they tell their children. Do we know what story? That might help, you know, if we know what story they've been telling."

After speaking, he turns to the others in the room and shakes each persons hand. "And since we seem to be a team might as well know each others names, right? I'm Pytor Rohan. Everyone just calls me PyRo though."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Do we know what story?"

"Unfortunately, no." The sorcerous lady responds. "It's a local myth that originated in Pinegrove, and since everyone tells their own version, there's no single text to explain the creature."

Garreth picks up one of the many papers scattered around the table. "We do have some information on what the kids are saying they saw." He clears his throat and begins reading the page. "Powerful, vicious, murderous, black with red stripes, glows like flame, evil eyes, teeth like daggers, four-legged, feline features but scaly. Smells like rotten eggs." He sets the paper down and looks back up at you.

"Hunts at night, eats little children who disobey their parents." Morana continues with a wry smile.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Sulfur huh? Hmm... OH!! I know! We can use one of the kids as bait! If it hunts at night for the bad girls and boys, all we need to do is locate one of the naughty children, and have them lead us into the woods." Pyro gets a satisfactory smile just like he had solved some great riddle.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jonnathan smiles, evidently relieved that the 'PyRo' man had finally starting thinking of plans that didn't involved torching or smoking out things.
    "See, now you're coming up with some sort of reasonable plans. One of the naughty kids leads us around, we prove the whole thing is a phony - after all, if the kid really believed it he'd fight to the death to avoid being bait - and collect our pay. I'm glad you're thinking reasonably now."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Conner

Conner did not join in the conversation, instead writing into something that resembled a journal, taking notes on the subject and occasionally looking up when more information became available. His interest became particularly peaked when local descriptions of the monster were given. His master had told him of many of the things that prawled the night, but Conner'd never faced one himself so he couldn't be sure. If anything he often believed his master seemed to think details should not get in the way of a good story when it came to monsters.

"Smells like rotten eggs..." Conner muttered a bit louder as he jotted down the last bit of info seemingly unaware that all could hear him. When people glanced over he looked up as if he had something to say, but really his mind was racing for details.

OOC/Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some checks to see if Conner knows something of this myth or anything of the description:
    [lore](1d20+4)[17] (like bardic lore, general info)
    [history](1d20+7)[13] (ancient tales...)
    [religion](1d20+7)[26] (flames/ sulphur...demonic presence perhaps? anything...)

Ignore that...forgot the bell curve,new rolls here

A moment later, having collected his thoughts Conner spoke confidently "What you are describing is a wraith. I don't think we're a match for such a creature, if anything we'd need enchanted weaponry or perhaps more potent magic to be able to slay such a spirit. Ofcouse we could look into it and report back if we needed heavier equipment." The last sentence was added hastily by Conner, who seemed a bit too eager to face the creature he described.
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2009-03-10 at 06:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Pyro blinks... "Does is burn?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Danak quickly turned to Conner.

"A wraith? A dark spirit? You can't be serious. I am sure the kids have exaggerated this story. Must be a giant wolf or something like that."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Not liking the sudden uneasiness in his soon-to-be partners, Theodore tries to calm everyone down.
    "'Well, the only way to be sure is to go and find out. No use talking about what it may be, better to see what it is. Even if it is something dangerous, children have been seeing it and coming back to tell the tale. I'm sure we will be able to do the same. I would sooner believe some prankster is playing tricks on them than I would that a fiend like that is letting children get away."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Conner

Completely serious in his response to Pyro, Conner does not seem to realise how strange the question was. "I'm not sure if it burns or not, I suppose magical fire would have a chance. And as for being a dark spirit I'm just relying on the rumours we've been told, to tell you the truth I'd prefer it to be a prankster too. "

Those definatly burn he thought about adding, but restrained from meantioning it to the flame crazed man that was in the room.
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2009-03-11 at 05:03 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Pyro's eyes light up. "See? As long as it burns, we stand a good chance. Even should we find ourselves outmatched, we can burn down the forest. Let's see the beastie outrun THAT." He folds his arm in satisfaction.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Danak

Danak scratched his head.

"Fighting with fire is one thing, but... Be they good or evil, I don't think the spirits of the forest will like that. We don't have to make more enemies than we need to."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Oh... well... huh. The forest has spirits too? Yeah, I suppose it probably would. Well, no. I guess they probably wouldn't like that very much. So, maybe we don't have a plan B then."

Brightening up, he says "OH, but Plan A still sounds good. Use one of the naughty children to lure the thing out. That way we can suprise it and incinerate it."

Quickly turning to Danak with a sincere smile "Without angering the forest spirit, of course."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Sage nods at the mention of her name. Addressing Pyro she says "I'd rather leave the children of a village out of it. Suppose we do find something? Not even a wraith - a wolf or a bear. They could get hurt. Then of course, I'd rather not traumatize a child to prove a point. We might be able to get more information from the villagers."
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

Avatar by Serpentine. Ezeze-doll by Recaiden.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Pyro's face seems to fall slightly as he responds: "Well we.. I mean.. I thought... No, we wouldn't want them to get hurt or traumatized, of course. I was just... damn. I guess that wasn't a very good plan A." With that, his face crinkles into an expression of deep thought...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Sage smiles gently "I'm sure you'll think of something brilliant on the way." She puts a slight emphasis on 'on the way' and opens the door for the others to leave though. "We'll report back when the problem is taken care of, Sir."
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Good." Garreth growls. "You can use the horses in the stable. Pinegrove is to the east. Just remember that anything you damage comes out of our pocket." He says, giving a knowing glare to Pytor.

Spoiler
    Show
    It is nearing the evening. You could leave now and get there before dark, or you could wait until the morning. Which will you do? Or is there something else?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Thinking we should head out now. No telling what Pyro might do with an entire night

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Pyro looks at Garreth, heartily smiles and replies "Oh, don't you worry sir. I completely learned my lesson after the Obstacle Course debacle. And after that misunderstanding with Olip the Blue. And ESPECIALLY after that off-hours incedent at the Gilded Griffin."

Spoiler
    Show
    Pyro is good with heading out tonight.
    Last edited by gigz; 2009-03-11 at 07:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    The one decent plan we've come up with, and we're rejecting it because of someone wanting to baby the children. With views like his, they'll grow to adulthood weak and inexperienced, never having worked for survival... poor children will be picked off by the first person they come across in life. ((I'm not sure what we should do about internal thoughts, so I just put it in spoiler tags and italics. Jonnathan is also ready to go tonight.
    Last edited by loser0ll; 2009-03-12 at 12:09 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh gods, I can see the dynamics of this group already. Sage calmly taking the book of matches and oil away from Pyro and explaining, gently, that yes the cat will burn, but no, she doesn't think it will appreciate it while Connor takes notes and Jon whines that they never do anything fun. This game is going to be a blast

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Also ready to go tonight...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Going tonight seems a good idea to me as well.