New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Kerluddein (IC)

1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

Melkin

Melkin moves to put some kind of cover over his mouth before remembering that he no longer needs to breathe as an automaton.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

2. - Top - End - #752
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, they don't use lights do they? So how would they know that it reacts strongly to light?"

3. - Top - End - #753
    Barbarian in the Playground

The light winks out entirely, leaving those without darkvision in total blackness.

Sylvia
    Spoiler
    Show

There's no danger with spores. The colour of the fungi tells you that they're shriekers - not dangerous in themselves, but usually accompanied by a second, symbiotic species that's capable of actively attacking any source of light, noise or sudden movement. They're also particularly hallucinogenic if eaten, but their spores, when ripe, are a major ingredient in an eye ointment that prevents dark blindness in many nightsighted races.

Sylvia and Renia
    Spoiler
    Show

Your guides are pressing themselves against the wall and edging forwards, eyeing the patch of fungus warily.
    The shadow-creatures are still vaguely visible despite the lack of light to cast any natural shadows. Now that they're not constrained by the normal shadows, however, they're moving rapidly and chaotically around all of you.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Helena's grip on her companions tightens as Gob stashes his light again, and she remains conspicuously silent as the others discuss the fungi potentially reacting to light.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia
    Sylvia shrugs, signals for a halt, then very slowly and deliberately approaches the molds, cautiously looking them over one at a time, and harvesting any spores that look sufficiently ripe that they will soon be falling on their own (or those that have recently fallen, but not yet established themselves on their new locations), being careful not to disturb the fungi themselves, and being very careful to be very sure she recognizes what she's seeing before approaching it.

Spoiler
    Show

Are any rolls called for, here?

Sylvia: HP 11/11, AC 17 (touch 17, flat-footed 17), saves +5/+2/+10
    Patches: HP 7/13, AC 18 (touch 12, flat-footed 16), saves +5/+5/+1
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

6. - Top - End - #756

Sylvia
    The guides shrink back from you as you approach the fungi, but do not attempt to stop you. Finding a ripe-looking one, you carefully stroke its gills.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dexterity check would be most appropriate. I'll let you add levels in disable device or open lock if you have them (your character sheet doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment), since those skills would involve similar actions as stroking a fungus without setting it off.
    For the un-mycologically knowledgeable, yes, mushrooms have gills. I'm not suddenly getting them mixed up with fish.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia
    Sylvia carefully attempts to remove some ripened spores....

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by rrkkskrrk View Post
    Sylvia
    The guides shrink back from you as you approach the fungi, but do not attempt to stop you. Finding a ripe-looking one, you carefully stroke its gills.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dexterity check would be most appropriate. I'll let you add levels in disable device or open lock if you have them (your character sheet doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment), since those skills would involve similar actions as stroking a fungus without setting it off.
    For the un-mycologically knowledgeable, yes, mushrooms have gills. I'm not suddenly getting them mixed up with fish.
    None of the Tangled Web character sheets are working at the moment - complications from the upgrade. Lucky for me, I scrapbooked the character... although that was back at level 1. Still, skill checks are straightforward enough. And yes, max ranks in Search and Disable Device (but not open lock - she's not really stealthy) ... which is good, as she has a Dex of 10. Druid//Ninja is a little bit of a skillmonkey.

Dex-based Disable Device (+2 if a regular Disable Device check, as that's Int based): (1d20+5)[20]

Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

8. - Top - End - #758

Sylvia
    You run a knife between the undersides of the gills, retrieving a thin coating of thick dust. You're able to do the same for the rest of the fungus, but the other fungi in the patch are either unripe-looking or poorly formed, and thus too much of a risk to retrieve spores from. You've collected about a vial's worth of the stuff from that single mushroom, though.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia
    Sylvia nods at the harvest, then makes her way slowly back to Patches, packs the spores away, and gestures for everyone to continue.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Renia
    Being one of the few who could actually spot the gesture, Renia takes the practical step of repeating it for the others. "Sylvia's done, we can move on now."

She then suits action to her words, and starts to pick her way along the cave wall, towing whoever had grabbed her hands along for the ride.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia
    Sylvia seems puzzled for a moment, then makes the connection once they're well away from the sound-sensitive molds. "Oh, right; darkblind."

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

Larin sighs as they start moving through the darkness again, spear being used to feel the floor ahead once more.

13. - Top - End - #763

Larin
    You feel your spear grabbed sharply by the end as your guide attempts to keep you from knocking the mushrooms and setting them off.

You move in silence and darkness for what feels like hours until another depression and patch of flowstone marks another old opening to the surface. As your eyes grow more accustomed to the darkness,
    Spoiler
    Show

Other than Sylvia.

you realise the immediate area is lit by another type of mushroom, glowing faintly but bright enough to illuminate the outlines of your companions and the tunnel.
    Your guides are pointing upwards into the darkness. If any of you try to go any further than where they stand, they wave their hands at you until you stop, trying to push you back if you don't. In fact, Melkin gets this treatment whether or not he stops, though the guides look apologetic about it and pat his arm cautiously. Once stopped, they wedge themselves between you and the cave wall, climbing up into the ceiling. A pair of ropes drop down a few seconds later.

Sylvia and Renia
    Spoiler
    Show

The tunnel slopes gently down after the flowstone patch, and the cold water of an underground lake is just visible at the edges of vision.

Spoiler
    Show

Forget the move silently checks. Sorry things have been so slow (again) recently; it's been a busy last few weeks for me.
    Oh, and listen checks for everyone, if you please.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show
    "Listen Check" - (1d20+3)[4]
    Edit: Wow. Can you critically fail a listen check?

Being the 'responsible' sort, Renia will start off by helping the less-well-sighted members of the group to find the ropes (via the mechanism of grabbing a hand, bringing it to a rope, and given them an encouraging nudge). Her own ascent will wait for last. She and Sylvia don't need help to find the ropes, after all.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2010-03-13 at 06:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia
    Sylvia pays attention to her senses as she considers how best to get Patches up the rope... herself, she's not worried about. "So... is anyone here very good with rope?"

Spoiler
    Show

Listen:(1d20+11)[20]
    And, just because, Spot: (1d20+11)[21]
    ... you know, it's FUN having lots of skills. I never seem to have quite enough, though. Granted, technically, nothing's stopping Patches from making a Climb check....

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Helena cautiously grabs the rope, hoping that wherever it leads, it leads towards more light.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Listen - (1d20+1)[16]

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Gob takes out his light dagger slightly to have some light and starts tying Patches to the rope, climbing on afterwards.

(Taking 10 for 17 with inspiration use, taking more time if I judge it to not be strong enough. Taking 10 on climbing as well for 12 or 14 with inspiration)
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

18. - Top - End - #768

Sylvia, Helena and Larin
    Spoiler
    Show

Something is singing somewhere near you about fish. They're singing in Common, but with a strangely sibilant voice.
    Sylvia
    Spoiler
    Show

And whoever or whatever they are, they're big.

Renia
    You get a sudden and irritating ringing in your ears, and find it hard to focus on your immediate surroundings.

Kris
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes you can, although at the moment there's not much more to be seen other than the tunnel.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

Larin looks around for a moment, hands cupping his ears to try and help him focus on the general direction of the song. "Hm... Can anyone else hear that, or are my ears playing tricks on me?"

20. - Top - End - #770

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, browser was being idiotic, had to restart to post the rest. This might also be a good point to point out again that I'm going to be away from Saturday onwards; is there anyone that wants to take over the game for a week or so, or should we pause the game for the duration? I'll PM you any necessary details.

Gob
    You manage to create a sort of harness for Patches, and he slowly disappears into the ceiling with a slight whimper.

Helena
    You ascend the rope, and find yourself in somewhere marginally darker: a sort of rock chimney above the main tunnel. There are now three goblins surrounding you in the dim light, one of which is grinning rather alarmingly.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Yeah, I hear it up here, too." As Gob's light-dagger is down the hole, Helena mumbles a short phrase and the Peloran sundisk around her neck begins to shine.

22. - Top - End - #772

Helena
    Spoiler
    Show

The disk illuminates a smooth chimney composed mostly of flowstone, with a carved away second tunnel just above your head.
    The third goblin is a skeleton, wearing full clothing and carrying a sword across its chest. You're apparently standing in someone's grave.
    As you look up, you can see several more alcoves that might be graves as well.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Oh!" She steps out of the grave and bows quickly. "I'm sorry. I couldn't see that it was a grave."

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia
    Sylvia rolls her eyes... not that any of the darkblind people in the party can tell. "Larin, it's not your ears playing tricks on you. There's definitely someone larger than yourself singing in common about fish. It's half the rest of the crew's ears that are playing tricks on them. Darkblind and deaf. How do you all get by? Oh, and Gob, thank you for the assist."

With that, Sylvia flies up to follow patches, taking wing in a circle until she can meet the rope at a point where she'll have plenty to brace against to actually climb.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2010-03-16 at 07:44 PM.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ettin in the Playground

Melkin

The robo-boy looks about curiously, straining his not-ears to try and hear the singing and figure out where it is coming from.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen:(d20+2)[14]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

26. - Top - End - #776

Helena
    The goblin's goblin is either too subtle to see in the dim light, or carefully blank. He points upwards to a point that seems to be slightly more recessed than the other holes, and, once sure that you've noticed, starts climbing upwards.

Melkin
    Spoiler
    Show

The singing's coming from down the tunnel, the part that your guides are avoiding.

The inside of the rock chimney proves easy to climb despite its slipperiness, and with the help of your goblin guides even Patches is able to ascend to the point they are aiming for. After a short journey through a roughly-cut tunnel in the side of the chimney, you all emerge on a ledge directly above the underground lake that Sylvia and Renia were able to see earlier. Your guides head ahead once again, but stop dead in their tracks after only a few paces; the ledge drops off entirely at that point, and it's obvious by their worried expressions that they weren't expecting it to. Looking back at you, one of them makes a dropping motion with his hand, then pushes back between you to two narrow openings in the wall. Both are so narrow as to be hard to see in the poor illumination Helena's disk supplies.
    Each guide heads briefly down one of the tunnels, then returns, exchanges a glance with the other, and turns back to you. They bow, then wave a hand behind them, indicating it is your choice which tunnel you take; they don't know the best way themselves now that the ledge is gone.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rrkkskrrk View Post
    Helena
    The goblin's goblin is either too subtle to see in the dim light, or carefully blank. He points upwards to a point that seems to be slightly more recessed than the other holes, and, once sure that you've noticed, starts climbing upwards.
    Oh, does Light only generate dim light now?

Also, goblin's goblin?
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2010-03-29 at 08:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #778

Atmospheric, no mechanical difference. Torches tend to throw things into shadow anyway, since they're only showing light from one direction. And I meant expression's goblin, or possibly the other way around.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Gob takes out a copper coin and tosses it. Then, picking it up without looking at the result, he points at the right opening. "We don't know enough to make a calculated choice, so lets at least go the right way."
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Troll in the Playground

Larin thinks for a moment. "Hm... Sylvia, do you think you can tell which direction the rendevous point with the ship is from here? If we can help it, we should try going more in that direction."