New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerluddein (IC)

1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

Lysindra turns to the captain.

So captain, you have fine ship here, and a good crew. Could we impose on you to show us around a little bit?

Lysindra smiles even more, hoping to draw the captain out a little bit.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Larin has been following protocol, but keeping silent. He blinks at the captain's comment. "Excuse me, but if the size of what you unloaded today is any indication, hauling that over twenty leagues of any terrain will be no small matter. Will we have assistance from the locals? Either as guides or porters?" He looks at the captain, wanting to know all the details of their assignment.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia has just one further question:
    "How long until we make landfall at the jungle in question? My current selection of prayers is set for more civilized areas, not a jungle."

Spoiler
    Show

Will be trading up the spell selection if we've got more than a day. Switching out two of the Cure Light Wounds spells for Entangle.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

4. - Top - End - #94

It falls to Hagstone once more to answer most of your questions, with the exception of Lysindra's.

Larin
    "Much of our crew are Blue Coast natives. They'll be assisting you for as much of the journey as we can spare them."

Sylvia
    Spoiler
    Show

Definitely more than a day.

"A month or two until the second instance, winds permitting. We only have the one stormmage."

Lysindra
    The captain sighs, waves a hand about vaguely, and stands up. The rest of the crew in the room snap to attention. She ambles towards the door and out into the storm, waiting for the rest of you to follow her. Despite her mutter, she is remarkably easy to hear over the sounds of the storm.
    "Good ship, the Wings. Never been a storm that could beat her."
    She descends quickly into the deck below, and gestures vaguely at the expanse of empty decking and stacks of crates and barrels.
    "Cargo hold. Hagstone's responsibility, mostly."
    Once again, she quickly descends to the third deck.
    Spoiler
    Show

Any sort of check allowed for more details, but questions directed at the captain are likely to be ignored. You do have a gaggle of other crewmembers behind you, though, which are bound to be far more talkative.

"Crew quarters down here, plus the mess. Cooky'll deal with that."
    She waves vaguely in the direction of the blue-furred goblin, then makes her way along the narrow corridor to the bow and thumps a door to her right.
    "Your quarters. Four cots, so you'll have to work that out."
    Spoiler
    Show

Or not. I haven't seen sidhe_blooded or MelkorIlavator post in a while.

She finishes her 'speech' with a hand waved at the foremost part of the deck. "Armoury, powder. Casell's job, don't go in there without her permission. Any questions?"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Larin follows the tour, raising a hand when she asks if there are any questions. "Do any of our stops have any local laws or customs we might not be aware of, or will they be more or less like Kerluddein? I don't want to accidentally offend someone by having my toes pointed at them during conversation or something.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is a real world offense in some middle eastern countries
    And are their any forms of food or drink we should avoid?"

6. - Top - End - #96

"Keep away from the drink in Piter, keep a Hadozee crewmember on hand when you're on the Blue Coast, and you should be fine."
    The ape-like crewmember from earlier reaches out a long arm and grips your shoulder, swinging from the roof to stand next to you.
    "And don't smile with your teeth to a native."
    "Thankyou, Mister Wingsdaughter. That will be all from you."

7. - Top - End - #97

Larin
    Spoiler
    Show

You aren't able to discern anything about the crew, though you do pick out quite a few details, including the individuals that have followed you from the stateroom. The rest of the crew, which you can see through the door into the crew quarters, are of a similar sort: a mix of the ape-like humanoids, ordinary Kerluddeiner humans and the sleek-looking halflings. Most are heavily scarred and weather-beaten, though very few of the scars appear to have come from serious wounds. All are armed with either an axe or a pair of daggers, but very few look like they'd be ready to use them, since they're usually either left in their belts or in the sashes that some of the humans wear instead.
    Spoiler
    Show

I can't think of much else to tell you about the crew off the top of my head, but since you've rolled well in a reasonably easy environment to see in, I'll let you ask for additional details if you want them.

8. - Top - End - #98

BardGirl

Seeing as the captain seems to have finished her tour, Lysindra will attempt to strike up a conversation with a talkative, and hopefully human sailor. She will ask general questions about the ship, duties and what they have seen in the past. As the sailor talks, she will be VERY friendly to him, listening very attentively, and even stroking his arm in an attempt to make him even more talkative.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia follows the tour, making certain to check the food in the galley to see exactly how edible it is, then checks to see if fishing will be feasible, and compares what the two results are expected to be. She also tries to pay attention to what's going on about her, and gets Patches settled in to the cabin, to wait out the trip, and to see about making the crew, not just the officers, think her useful.

Spoiler
    Show

Handle Animal: Auto-pass for any trained trick (total modifier for working with Patches: +10 (+4 ranks, +2 Feat, +4 Bond). DC for any trained trick is 10, +2 if Patches is Injured - which isn't the current case, so a roll of 1 is sufficient)
    Checking food Survival: Take 10, for a result of 20.
    Checking for fishing (Survival): Take 10, for a result of 20.

Also - MikelaC - are you planning on rolling for your attempt to gather info?
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2009-04-15 at 06:03 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Larin turns to the crewmate, giving him a nod of thanks and extending his hand. "My name is Larin. She said your name is Mr. Wingsdaughter right? Pleased to meet you. Don't suppose you could give me the unofficial run down on the ship? The who-you-know people. And possibly an introduction to the ship's weathermage if thats possible."

11. - Top - End - #101

Sylvia
    As far as you can tell, the galley food is just a heavily spiced version of what you'd be catching, which wouldn't be much in any case, since the only available area is slightly too high above the waves. The cook, however, notices your interest in his cooking, and after trying to feed you it (it's quite good, though very strong-tasting), he suggests that you might be able to use one of the boats to catch fish for him.
    Larin
    Wingsdaughter smiles broadly, though true to what she said, she doesn't show any teeth while doing so.
    "Dashi Wingsdaughter. First mate. "Wingsdaughter" won't get you far, we're all children of the Wings here. Now, where's Charity gone?" She turns to smile at you again. "Stormmage. She was here a second ago..."
    She ambles off, keeping one hand resting lightly on the ceiling.
    Lysindra
    The crewsman you pick is perhaps slightly too talkative, and you're not sure how much of the information you get from him is reliable and how much is his own elaboration. He certainly seems to give himself a far bigger role in the retrieval of the beholder than would be expected from an ordinary crewman, but the rest seems believable: it makes sense that a spice ship would come into contact with the multitude of exotic animals, plants, beasts and abberations that he describes, though dragons seem a little unlikely. He has a particular obsession with orcworts, which the ship's crew have regularly come into contact in the past, and is keen to show you the scars that he's recieved from them.
    Getting any coherent information about the ship's duties is slightly more difficult for someone with no knowledge of ropes and nautical terms, though you gather that just about any crewmember could be doing anything from working the sails in a storm to swabbing the decks to going out and collecting spices themselves.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia smiles at the cook's suggestion.

"Yes, that will do quite nicely, thank you. I figured it would end up being either that, or the crow's nest, and people tend to have good memories of the person that helps bring them food. That should do quite nicely."

Spoiler
    Show

Well, now we have something for Sylvia to do all day. Assume she takes ten on any relevant checks - which gives a Survival check of 20 (or more, if having specifically picked up the equipment for this grants a bonus). Otherwise, she's basically just waiting out the ride, and finding something useful to do with her time, where basically anyone on the ship can easily say "yes, she does this"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Overhearing Sylvia's conversation, Sarah speaks up. If you need some extra hands for fishing, I could be of use as well, although I'm not equipped for it - most of my recent years have been on land.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shaping a Hunter's Circlet, and assuming no other bonuses, I get a 25 by taking 10, if it matters.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Larin follows after Dashi, taking care not to bump into anyone, though he keeps one hand on his component pouch and his coin purse to prevent them from falling
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's placing a hand over the outside of his robe to pin them in place
    . "What does Charity look like? I've always been pretty good at picking people out."

15. - Top - End - #105

Sarah
    "I doubt we'll be in that much need. Ask the captain or stormmage for work before you come back to me, hmm? Might be more interesting for you, 'sides."
    He takes a look at the food simmering in his pans, then calls over his shoulder to you. "Pass the ladle while you're here, hmm?"

Larin
    By the time you catch up with her, Dashi has already scanned the cargo deck and is climbing up onto the main deck.
    "Tall, red hair, skinny, robes. You've seen her. Never mind, I know where she is."
    She moves quickly across the deck despite the wind, and starts to scramble up the rigging to the crow's nest, where you can just about make out a hooded figure.
    Spoiler
    Show

Climb check and listen check, please.

16. - Top - End - #106

Larin
    You make a clumsy attempt to follow Dashi, but your hands slip on the wet rigging, and after a few rungs you decide it would be safer to drop back down to the deck. You can't hear what's being shouted above you, but evidently Dashi has told the stormmage that you're there, because after a minute or so something crawls down the underside of the rigging on shimmering, spidery legs and addresses you from about a foot in front of your face.
    "Larin, yes? The Made Charity Hadley, stormmage. Can you work weather in any way?"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Larin grins, keeping his teeth hidden as advised, as he shakes his head. "Just enough to make it really hot or really cold in a very localized area. I'm a warmage, private first class, but I'm always willing to learn about different types of magic. I'm expect you'll be busy much of the time, but when you have time, perhaps you would explain the basics of weather magic to me?"

18. - Top - End - #108

Larin
    Spoiler
    Show

The whole teeth hidden thing was for Hadozee and other Blue Coast natives, but carry on, it'd be perfectly understandable for him to misinterpret it as "never show your teeth ever".

"Ah." The crystal that you're addressing swears in Gith before continuing. "Maybe. Not the easiest of skills, weather-working. You'll find it dull compared to blowing things to pieces. Is the captain belowdecks?"

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Larin nods. "I think the ability to brew up a storm would be quite interesting and useful. Even if I lack the nack for weather working, at least having the knowledge of how its done would be enlightening. And last I saw of her she was below decks, not far from the crew quarters I believe, though I don't know where she's gone since then."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not 100% on which race is which. If Hadozee arent homebrew, which book are they in?

20. - Top - End - #110

Larin
    "Ah."
    The crystal sidles down the rigging and across the deck. Before it actually disappears through the hatch, it pauses, and adds as an afterthought: "Thankyou."
    Spoiler
    Show

Hadozee are from Stormwrack, though the tooth thing is my own invention.

Sarah and Sylvia
    The crystal passes the galley as it appears on the lowermost deck and moves towards the captain. Several of your new crewmates stare at it, though this is limited to the ones as new to the ship as you are; the older ones merely touch their foreheads and get out of its way. It stops in front of the captain and extends a wispy leg in a semblance of a salute.
    "Captain, we must leave in the next hour or not for the next two days. I will not be capable of controlling this storm."
    The captain nods, then turns to the blue-skinned officer, who promptly begins bellowing orders. Suddenly, the lower deck is a frenzy of activity as the sailors all pack what they are doing away and scramble for the deck.
    "All hands, to stations! Cast off, draw gangplanks and prepare sail for a wind from the mizzen mast! Bo'sun, you have the foredeck! Mister Casell, I expect the guns to be tied tight by yesterday!"

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia, sensitive to others' reactions to staring due to her own unusual appearance, doesn't particularly bat an eye at the being of crystal traveling past. She does, however, get the assorted details for going fishing taken care of - who to talk to to get the small fishing boat lowered and on a tow rope, who to talk to for determining if this is a good time, and so on. She then goes about her assumed shipboard duties while awaiting the main event she was really hired for.

22. - Top - End - #112

BardGirl

Lysindra, who had been absent for about half an hour, finally shows up.

Well, I hear and see lots of action, are we putting out to sea?

23. - Top - End - #113

Lysindra
    You don't find anyone other than your own companions with time to spare to answer your questions; even your new friend is too busy trying to catch up for lost time and avoid the bo'sun's notice as he rejoins the crew to spare much time for you. You gather from the fact that the shore is no longer in sight, though, that the ship has indeed put out to sea.

Everyone
    Despite the efforts of the stormmage, a storm is one of the few occassions on which the entire crew is required to be working on the sails, steering, and rigging. Anyone on deck is handed a rope to make a lifeline out of and if necessary shown how to tie one. Anyone on the lower decks will quickly find themselves nearly entirely alone, with the exception of the cook, who appears to be temporarily doubling as the ship's surgeon.
    Spoiler
    Show

It would be useful to know exactly where everyone is on the ship at the moment, assuming you've moved from where you were before the ship set off. (I.e. Larin on the top deck, Sylvia and Sarah in the mess, and Sylvia Lysindra (unless Sylvia has some talent for being in two places at once that I don't know about) just outside the guest cabin.)
    Last edited by rrkkskrrk; 2009-04-22 at 05:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia, not really having had much time to get out and about after having interviewed the cook on becoming a food service provider, and getting the assorted details of how to go about making sure her catch is put to good use, happily lends a hand with any wounded that make it to the cook... and in the doing, smiles at the fact that she hasn't yet had opportunity to change her selection of prayers, and is still packing three Cure Light Wounds, plus one Cure Minor Wounds....

"I do have some abilities as a healer, if you have need of an extra set of hands down here."

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming Sylvia isn't "rushed or threatened", her +6 Wisdom modifier lets her take ten on untrained Heal checks, and beat the DC 15 needed for most tasks with the skill ("first aid", "long-term care", and "Treat wound from caltrop, spike growth, or spike stones" are all DC 15; it's really only poison, disease, and specific effect DC's where that won't work); she's got three Cure Light Wound spells and a Cure Minor Wounds spell she's perfectly willing to spend at this point, if needful. She will, however, try to do things "naturally" (with the heal skill) first, and only burn spells if someone is needed back on their feet immediately, or if she can't take ten on her skill checks and fails a roll.

25. - Top - End - #115

Sylvia
    Within a few minutes of offering your services, there are already a few crewmen needing your assistance, including a Hadozee crewman with a broken arm (he tells you that the stormmage had to blow him back on board after he slipped from the rigging of the foremast, and he landed badly), one of the new crewmen with several fingers crushed by a tackle block, and a female halfling with a face full of splinters. You suspect that she may be partially blinded as well, though whether this is due to blood in her eyes or actual injury is hard to tell. Cooky is insistent that you use magic as often as possible; he's a talented surgeon, but has no skill with curative magic, and injuries can make crewmen useless for weeks if left to heal naturally.
    Spoiler
    Show

Although you certainly wouldn't be rushed or threatened on the bottom deck of the ship, treating anything down below was a messy business, what with the cramped conditions, slippery floors (especially since anyone being brought down during a storm would be absolutely soaked) and the ship swaying around all over the place. Since taking ten is for familiar, safe conditions, I'm going to rule that you need to roll for healing. Anything needing steady hands (extracting splinters or sewing up wounds, for example) is DC 20, though you don't need to treat every patient, since the cook's also down there with you.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia does what she can for the injured while she alerts the cook to the little issue that magic has limits...

"If I focus my prayers entirely on healing, I can fix up maybe three or four people that way per day... assuming their injuries aren't overly severe, and they don't have too much personal inertia. Given my limits on resources, the spells are best reserved for two basic cases: when the person is going to die without it, and after the danger is past when it's feasible to gauge an individual's usefulness to the ship and set priorities on who gets what that way. I can't cure everyone that way yet, so I have to prioritize."

Spoiler
    Show

Let's see... three people who need a heal check noted:
    Broken Arm: (1d20+6)[25]
    Crushed Fingers: (1d20+6)[17]
    Face full of Splinters: (1d20+6)[18]

In two levels: Touch of Healing (reserve feat, Complete Champion) changes this significantly... in that it can get everyone back on their feet; it doesn't do full healing, though (only up to 50% on any given subject - which is bad if you're using it for combat healing, or relying solely on it, but helps extend things otherwise).

27. - Top - End - #117

Sylvia
    You set the broken arm near-perfectly, and do a decent job on the man's crushed fingers, though he won't be able to go right back to his duties for quite a while. Cooky orders both of them to check the tarring on the lower decks for damage, and slaps you away when you slip while treating the halfling, scowling at the splinter that you've pressed further in and berating you while he does so.
    "You think a man with a broken arm is any good working, hmm? I have to send any more to jobs like that we won't get through the storm. We lose least if we get them back up there right away and keep a full crew."
    He pulls the final splinters out of the halfling's face and starts to examine her eye.
    "I need the bottle of rum in that locker to clean these cuts with. There, can you see my face, hmm?"
    "Yes, Cooky."
    The blue goblin sighs and looks back at you.
    "I am sorry, Sylvia. If we lose men today, it will be because their lines break, not because of something they are sent here for. You can understand that, hmm?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Rolls were messed up, but I'd written most of this before you posted them, anyway. Oh, and mashed fingers is still DC 15, since a traditional healing would just be setting them rather than any sort of stitching.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, the working crew is run thin as it is, during a storm; that does put a different spin on things. Very well. I can pull off two or three reasonable healings, and a minor wound once. You pick my targets."

Spoiler
    Show

Rolling for three Cure Light Wounds, as needed, at the direction of the chef (or is that "chigureon"? Easier if all the rolls are in one spot, I suppose, and works well as you didn't incorporate effects of attempts to erase mistakes in the above.

(1d8+1)[8]
    (1d8+1)[6]
    (1d8+1)[9]
    Cure Minor Wounds is a flat 1 point.

29. - Top - End - #119

"Wingson, Butcher, you get back in here!"
    Cooky directs your attentions towards the two crewmembers who you treated earlier, waving you away from the halfling and telling you that the cuts are unimportant.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'll use the third roll on the next injured crewmember to come in, though I won't be sending any more until the other characters have done something.

There is a brief light, and the bones of both the hadozee's arm and the human's fingers are knitted back together, helped by the work you have already done to set them. The cook grins.
    "You have done a good job with that arm, Sylvia. All right, you two, back to work, the captain needs you!"
    He rushes them off, letting them pause only to return the bandages and splints that they no longer need.

30. - Top - End - #120

BardGirl

Lysindra spots Larin coming below decks and walks (with more than a little wiggle in her steps) over to talk to him.

So how have you been making out at making yourself a part of the crew? Care to compare notes about interesting things you may have found out?