New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerluddein (IC)

1. - Top - End - #241
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

Westh

"GLADLY!" The hadozee replies with a broad grin and a return slap on the shoulder. "As far as bein' wet," he steps away and does a full-body shake that sends droplets of water spraying in all directions and rattles the bandoleer and cutlass. "That should do nicely, along with the wind once I get back into the riggin'. 'Preciate the thought, though! I'm Westh! And that was a neat trick!" he says holding out a friendly paw.
    Last edited by CullinaneLives; 2009-06-12 at 10:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Irik

"Irik," he replies grasping the outstretched hand with a smile. "Just a little parlor trick I picked up before coming aboard. Seems handy in this environment." Looking around the ship, Irik asks "How much longer do you think we'll be? I get the feeling there's no shore leave here so I'm getting anxious to get back under sail."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kamau
    "Doctor? You mean that guy over there? Well, that was a waste of time. He's not even grateful."
    Turning to respond to Irik, he remarks "I'd like to know that myself. Miss Captain hasn't really been herself lately."
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

4. - Top - End - #244

Westh

With a shrug, the hadozee grabs a handful of rigging and prepares to climb up, but hangs there by one hand and one foot, looking at the pair and grinning as he swings lazily back and forth. "No tellin'. It's a shame. I was lookin' forward to seein' the hadozee here, too! And it's not so much that he's not grateful as he's scared to death of the plague, I'm guessin'."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Giving a curt nod and watching as she dispells her protective barrier. "Glad to hear that. I don't believe I've seen you before... Though admitedly, I'm not really good with names and faces." He extends a hand to her, though he doesn't seem to be sure if it should be palm up as to a lady or palm sideways as to a fellow crewmember and warrior.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah... I spent like an hour trying to figure how to do that, or if I should bow, salute or somethings else... I am totally awkward in social situations. >.<

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Helena takes Larin's hand, almost as awkwardly as he offered it. "I'm Helena Solaris. I was a lady, but now I'm just a deck hand and wandering adventurer.

...What's your name?"

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Larin nods and shakes her hand. "Private First Class Larin, no last name. Its a pleasure to meet you Helena. You mentioned Pelor and healing, so I'm guessing you were called to begin adventuring? How'd you find yourself on this ship?"

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"My father brought me up as a Paladin in Pelor's service. Since he wasn't rich enough to afford a proper dowry, I started adventuring instead. I was shipwrecked, and happened to be rescued a few weeks ago by the Lady's Wings."

9. - Top - End - #249

Kamau growled a little. "Scared or not, that's no reason to...Did you say plague?"
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGirl

Lysindra

Lysindra turns to Helena
    I find that hard to believe. A man wanted a dowry in addition to getting to marry you? Hmmm. Well, maybe we can do something about that. If you spent just a little more time, I'll bet we could arrange for a man to pay YOU the dowry to marry. Stick with me, I'll give you a few tips.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"If the man was paying for the bride, it's not a dowry, it's a brideprice.

It was an old tradition in my homeland... and like I said, my father didn't have much wealth to his name, so the man wouldn't be marrying into money anyway."

12. - Top - End - #252

BardGirl

LYSINDRA

Brideprice, dowry, whats the difference? My offer still stands though, youre a lovely woman and with a little help, you could be stunning.

Lysindra casually strolls off, her hips swaying. She flashes a dazzling smile at the nearest crewman.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Helena watches Lysindra strut off. Well, I don't intend to seduce every male within five miles.

...Still, it couldn't hurt to learn a trick or two...

14. - Top - End - #254

Lysindra
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

I'm going to assume you spend the time going through to pinpoint the auras involved, rather than just telling you that there's magic there, although you might have to leave and come back in order to get that conversation in.

You're sure your powers are decieving you, since although neither the stones or most of the coins carry any magical power, the knotted string is displaying a faint aura of magic which you can't yet make out. Obviously the goblin rat had more than a sentimental reason for keeping it with him.

Sylvia
    "Dogs, cats. We've had most of them run out of the city or burnt. I'm afraid we have quite a large population of the beasts you've seen, along with the common rat, and they seem affected by the contagion as well. I will discuss their extermination on the ship with your captain. If you would excuse me?"

Helena
    The captain returns from the stern, accompanied by the first lieutenant, who snaps:
    "Mister Solaris!"
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't know whether you've read the thread that thoroughly, but it came up earlier that both male or female crewmembers are addressed as male on Kerluddian ships. Just to avoid confusion.

The captain quickly holds a muttered conversation with you about your divinely appointed gifts, and instructs you to inform her immediately once you have any ability at healing. She is then accosted by the doctor, and her attention appears taken up by listening to his advice from that point onwards.

Irik
    Anyone you ask seems fairly certain that it will be a matter of hours, though they also agree that it's ultimately down to what the captain hears from the doctors.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Helena confirms her orders.

She thought that she had cleared it up with the captain when she first came on board, but then remembered that she only introduced herself as a former knight, not necessarily as a Paladin.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia frowns slightly at the comments about exterminating dogs, thinking of her own beloved Patches, then shrugs, and not seeming to have any particular demands on her time at the moment, looks around to see if anyone is injured.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Is just about to speak to Helena, commenting on Lysindra's offer, when the captain calls her over. He shrugs and sighs, deciding to head back to the cabin to study his notes for the time being.

18. - Top - End - #258

BardGirl

LYSINDRA

While Im good enough at detecting magic, the specific nature of it often eludes me. This ball of string, that the goblin was carrying, is emanating magic. Can one of you more talented spell casters find out what exactly it is?

19. - Top - End - #259

Westh

Nodding to Kamau, Westh continues his lazy swinging. "Did ya hear nothin' goin' on up here?" he asks with a tilted head.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Helena is not a subset of "talented caster." Instead, she returns to the lower decks, to resume her prayers for enlightenment as to her arcane capabilities. (in other words, an IC justification for taking ranks in Knowledge: Arcana and Spellcraft. )
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-06-15 at 04:56 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261

Kamau
    Shaking his head, Kamau said No, I did not. My shift was over, I was asleep below deck. He seems slightly worried, but decides to let it go. Fear is for the weak. "Anyway, this guy -jerking his head at Irik-isn't the only one who owes you a drink. Remind me next time we're on land, and I may even sing for you! The barbarian lightly slaps Westh on the back, grinning so wide his face seems liable to split in half.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Irik

Grinning at Kamau, Irik chimes in. "Westh my friend, you may be in for one bawdy night of ale if this pace keeps up." With a smile, Irik will move away from the 2 near the rigging and begin to slowly wander the deck. He keeps an eye out for the goings on of the ship, but is mostly waiting to hear some info on the whens of their departure.

23. - Top - End - #263

Westh

Westh nods to the departing Irik. "I look forward to sharin' those with each o' ya! An' I'm always up for a song, but I think I'd better check the riggin' since we're not gonna be in port long. We'll catch up later, hm?" he inquires but does not wait for a response as he clambers up the rigging and inspects knots and blocks for snags or other issues.

24. - Top - End - #264

The doctors are off the boat within the hour, having pronounced themselves satisfied that Sylvia has had no chance of catching the plague and having dumped the goblin rat over the side themselves to minimise further risk. The ship is readied quickly to be underway, and most of the crew is cheered to find out that despite the earlier warnings, the Wings will be allowed to use the Piter Canal to shorten their route, as long as they operate the locks themselves. The Lady's Wings sets off upriver, through a dock nearly entirely devoid of life. From time to time, someone scuttles across an alleyway, sleeve covering their mouth to avoid breathing in whatever it is that causes the disease, but otherwise what should be the bustle of an early morning port has been entirely replaced with the sort of silence you would expect only in an entirely dead town.
    Nothing of particular importance happens when you are still travelling on Piter's original river, but halfway through the city it branches off and becomes the great canal that has allowed the city to flourish despite its lack of other resources as a way-point for Kerluddian ships. The way is blocked by the first lock, but the captain has already asked for volunteers to open it before the ship was even underway.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the poor quality of writing, but I had limited time to type it up and got my last one deleted by a system restart. The usual deal for seeing and hearing additional details for those that want to. I also feel I should point out here for those unfamiliar with canals: a "lock" is a pair of gates designed to allow a boat passing through to change its level without having to pass upwards at any point. You open one, close it again once you're through, and it fills up with water (or empties) until it's at the level of the next section. Rolls for Open Lock have no effect.
    Have I missed anything?

25. - Top - End - #265

Westh

Gliding down from his customary place in the rigging, Westh lands easily and raises an arm. "I'll happily work the locks, Cap'n!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Nope. I think that covers it!

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Irik

"Feel free to set me to whatever task you need, Captain. Lock, watch or lookout, all are fine by me."

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Helena reports for lock-working duty since she's fairly strong.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia watches the shore pass by, looking for various details - are there any bodies left out from the disease, and if so, what visible symptoms do they have? She also watches the locks as they approach, seeing if she can discern what method is used to flood or empty the locks, to see if it looks like she'd be of any use working them.

"I doubt I'll be of much use, considering I can't really lift anything of note, but I'm willing to risk a trip to the locks if needed, captain."
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

29. - Top - End - #269

BardGirl

LYSINDRA

I dont have nearly enough strength to operate one of the locks, but you can put me on watch or lookout to replace someone who is going to work the locks, Captain.

30. - Top - End - #270

The captain nods.
    "Thankyou, Mr. Revenger, Mr. Solaris. Mr. VonSet, your usual station, if you please. Mr. Lysindra, the fo'c's'le. Mr. Sylvia, high watch. Over the lock itself, if you please."
    Two other crewmembers have already volunteered to leave the ship, and the captain sends them with you, motioning at the nearest non-volunteers to run out gangplanks on either side of the ship.

Sylvia
    Spoiler
    Show

The lock consists of four pairs of gates, both of which are simply operated by moving massive levers on their side, obviously designed for use by animals but not that hard to move by a strong man due to the way they face the water. There is also a system of ratcheted gears near the upper side, also stiff-looking but not beyond your ability, and a set of holes barely visible above the low water for letting more out from above. Unfortunately, they seem to be missing their handles, and it looks like the handle is designed to come seperately in any case. You suspect these are for letting water through, as they don't appear to do anything for the gates themselves.
    The streets have been cleaned here, and you haven't yet seen any bodies lying about, but at the house closest to the front gate there is what appears to be an indoor sentry box at one of the windows, and half-hidden in the shadows is the dead body of the lock guard. His neck is swollen and covered in large, deep purple pustules, and other spots leading further up onto the face, so dark as to be almost black. Even his hands have smaller spots, concentrated into a sort of rash, so that barely any of the skin visible is its natural colour. There is blood running down from his mouth, and a thicker blood-coloured substance on his lap. He looks to have died on duty, because despite the disease covering his body he was still carrying a lantern and nightstick when he died, though the lantern has since gone out and dropped down to the floor.