New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Lightbulb Mutants & Masterminds: The Initiative: California Team

You're in a board room near the top of one of the few skyscrapers unaffected by the Skrull Invasion.

A man stands at the end of the large oak table before you, with his back to it. You and several odd looking individuals sit and stand throughout the room, some seem at ease, others intimidated. You know why you are here, you know why they are there as well but something seems off.
    The man before you has been silent for the handful of minutes since you and your compatriots entered the room. He stares out the glass side of the room out at the skyscrapers of Los Angelus.

Slowly he turns and places each of his hands on the table before you, leaning forward and glancing at each of you for a moment. Then he speaks.

"It's a new day. So listen carefully... This is how it's going to be. As you all know, I, Norman Osborn, have been given the keys to the kingdom. Tony Stark is out. S.H.I.E.L.D. is no longer. I am heading a new world peacekeeping task force that includes the Initiative and the Avengers franchises. And as far as I am concerned, that is good news for all of you. ... You'll tell me what it is you need, and I'll do that thing. And in return? ... In return, loyalty. Camaraderie. Brothers in arms. ... However, if any of you would sink to your basest instincts...you must know that whatever you have gained from this relationship...can easily be taken away. Like that. By force. Because you work for me now. Not the government. ME.

Tomorrow morning you're going to walk on stage and stare out at the press of the world and you're going to be the all american heroes this country needs. If you're here because of Captain America and what he stood for you're out. I don't care what you are, what you've done, or who you think you are; all I care about is who you are going to be to every Joe Average who watches the Daily show, or surfs Youtube.

So talk get to know each other because tomorrow morning you walk in on that press conference as a team this state and this country can be proud of. The ORDER was a joke, don't make their mistakes... or else...

Any Questions?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Mutants & Masterminds: The Initiative: California Team

Ein-Nar

"I have a question, when is lunch being served?"

The blue-skinned Kree is sitting upright in his chair. He's a bit peeved that this was the stipulation for him to get a work visa, but more annoyed that he's the one alien on this freaking planet who has to try to get citizenship rights. He used to be annoyed about not being able to go outside the building, but that was before he spent his salary on Netflix subscriptions and cable.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2009-03-30 at 10:34 AM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A small, shy, brown haired woman in her early twenties squeaked at Ein Nar's question from behind Osborn.

"The building's kitchen can deliver directly to you're team penthouse suite or you can go straight to the restaurant on the ground floor... Mr Warhound... Sir...

She clutched a blue folder to her chest and went slightly red.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Ein-Nar

"I know where and how, I'm more interested in when. I skipped, what's the word...breakfast."

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thelema

"If no one else is going to ask anything important, I might as well do it: why us? You can't really trust us any more than you could the order, and from I gather we aren't the most trustworthy group in the first place. What are you playing at, Osborne?" Thelema glares as Osborne with his intense, mystical eyes.
    Planetkiller avatar by The Randomizer

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Ein-Nar

"Lunch is very important. Food, as with all logistics, can often mean the margin between victory and defeat."

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Enforcer

A large metal figure draped in a black longcoat, sits easily near the back of the room. He leans back in his chair, legs crossed and arms folded. You are not certain whether he is man in a power suit, or an outright robot. He politely raises one hand, and asks in a deep, gruff, digitized voice. "I have a question as well, who among us is placed in charge?"
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2009-03-29 at 11:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Sarah Moore

The second woman in the room is clad in a conservative black suit, and could easily pass for a businesswoman. For the past few minutes, she's been standing rather stiffly, waiting for Osborne to speak. Quite clearly, she is not especially excited to be here. Then again, from the frown she is directing at Thelema, she isn't too happy with the attitude he's giving the director, either.

Anybody who knew her would be unsurprised at her attitude; Sarah Moore was rarely exuberant about anything, and she generally kept her feelings tightly contained, especially around work. Truth be told, she is slightly irritated this morning. She's willing to adopt an absurd public identity and join a flamboyant superhero initiative to help boost morale after the invasion; she's willing to work with teammates who aren't American-born and may not be entirely loyal. But she doesn't have to like it, and the runed man's hostile attitude (towards an already heavy-handed director) is not making her morning any better.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Thelema, I like you, straight to the point. You're here because you're new to the game, you've got no loyalties. You've had only your own agendas until now and very good at helping people get what they want. And it doesn't matter how trustworthy you are, I'm not naive enough to ever put myself in a position where I need to trust anyone. Remember that.

As for your question Enforcer, Miss Wyatt here,"
    Osborn pauses for a moment and motions to the young woman behind him "Is your H.A.M.M.E.R. liaison, technically she has final say on everything to do with your team but for your sakes I hope she doesn't have to do much. If you all can agree on a team leader and name before the press conference tomorrow fine, but if you can't She will."

"Whenever we're done here," Miss Wyatt squeaked in reply to Ein Nar.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Ein-Nar

"From what I can tell, the others have had little experience or skill working as a part of a team. So I propose we hold off on assigning a leader until said skill can be evaluated either within the course of duty, through one of those team-building exercises corporations tend to have, or merely by whom the public views as most popular.

The name is unimportant to what we're going to actually be doing, so it should just be left to those... what-do-you-call-them... marketing people who saw fit to give us these... code-names."
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2009-03-30 at 10:33 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"I think you're right Ein Nar... or should I say Warhound. We'll have the marketing division of Oscorp think something up..."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by Avo View Post
    "As for your question Enforcer, Miss Wyatt here," Osborn pauses for a moment and motions to the young woman behind him "Is your H.A.M.M.E.R. liaison"
    The Enforcer leaned back into his chair once more and rubbed his chin. It was difficult to tell what he was thinking, as his metal visage gave no hint of facial expression. After a while he spoke. "Well Miss Wyatt, this is a rather... unforgiving business that we are in. I hope for all our sakes, that you are well prepared for the job."

He leaned forward a little and placed both hands on the table before continuing."That said, I am sure most of us here are reasonable people, if occasionally hungry, suspicious, or irritatable. If you need our help with anything, do let us know."

Quote Originally Posted by UglyPanda View Post
    "The name is unimportant to what we're going to actually be doing, so it should just be left to those... what-do-you-call-them... marketing people who saw fit to give us these... code-names."
    "Well... not all of us have codenames given by marketing. Some of us have had ours for a long time."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Ein-Nar

"And that means what? That you'd prefer to come up with the team name yourself, or that you have some sort of pride in that moniker you use to hide your identity?"

Ein thinks to himself that the man still wearing his mask either has some sort of horrible disfigurement (unlikely), or is very into himself but considers his own appearance plain (very likely).
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2009-03-30 at 10:33 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by UglyPanda View Post
    "or that you have some sort of pride in that moniker you use to hide your identity?"
    "That is exactly what I am saying." The Enforcer pauses for a moment as he considers why the blue skinned man might be unaware of such a commonly known fact. "I don't know where you're from, but around here, most well-known meta-humans, even those who without secret identities, adopt a descriptive nickname. And for many that name is an extension of their identity, something that they take immense pride in, perhaps more so than their actual name."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Ein-Nar

"If you can't figure it out, I'm Hungarian. Where I come from, we are occasionally given titles by our government to show off our accomplishments and bring pride to our family lines, not to hide ourselves as if we had something to be ashamed about. The fact that "super-heroes" and not local police have to hide their names leads me to believe your government has issues with private security."

OOC:
    Characters can't see quote boxes. In a real conversation, my character would have no clue what part of his statement you're responding to.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2009-03-30 at 10:45 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

16. - Top - End - #16

Thelema

"Secret identities? Hah! Such a quaint little idea. Like I would be afraid to tell the world who I am."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Ein-Nar

"So with no objections, I guess that means we're all decided that we don't want to decide the name. Any other business to take care of?"

He thinks to himself that two of them are egotistical, but can't decide whether or not they're idiots. The girl isn't saying anything, she probably wants to get out of here just as much as he does.

OOC:
    Ditto is the only one who hasn't posted yet. Someone PM him.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm here... just having a lot of trouble getting this up between the site being wonky and work Internet being finnicky. I'll be a little surprised if this notice gets posted. Hopefully I'll be able to get back in and edit a proper post shortly.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Enforcer

"All I'm saying is that around here, having a code name is a respected tradition, much like being given a title by the government is a tradition back in ... Hungary." The Enforcer pauses as if considering something, before continuing. "Almost everyone does it, even if their identities are not secret, like the X-men for example."
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2009-03-30 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Because I apparently do not know how to spell Hungary

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Ein-Nar

"And I'm saying I've stopped caring. I just want to know if there is any business left to do before we can leave."

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Enforcer

"I've got no further questions." The Enforcer said as he looked around at the others.

22. - Top - End - #22

Thelema

"I only wish to know if attending the press release is mandatory. I have no interest in needlessly parading myself like some trained circus animal."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Conjurer

Ethan shared Sarah's disdain for loudmouthing amongst the team, but sat next to her looking merely attentive rather than letting his mild irritation show through. Surly group we have here, innit? Happily, it seemed that none of them were fans of showboating, but they *were* a public trust charged with keeping order. He understood that slipping on a mask as Conjurer and skipping around town holding back ne'er-do-wells was what they were paid to do. No one said it had frills. S'what we signed on for... He wasn't entirely sure how much and under what circumstances the folks (other than Sarah) had 'signed on', now that he thought about it. Their bearings communicated somethign decidedly less than civil-service career-minded adventurers.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Sarah Moore

The suited woman clears her throat quietly. "While I understand your distaste, Mr... Thelema, wasn't it?"—and she did understand; she wasn't looking forward to the press conference herself—"this is a part of our job as much as protecting people. Everything is a little unstable after the invasion. The more we can do to reassure them, the better."

What a trio; somehow, they'd managed to end up with three different attitudes about their job, none of which agreed with one another, and all of which could make things difficult for the team. At least she knew Govens was reliable.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"IF you are done with your questions then I will be leaving now," Osborn says as he walks over to the door. "You may get to know each other and rest for today or you can explore the city, the press meeting is at noon tomorrow, it is Mandatory."

He leaves with a glance at Miss Wyatt.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about being so slow to post, personal stuff and getting ready to leave the country for a few days causing it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Ein Nar

"Somebody get the kitchen to send up three or four burgers. Also ask if they have poutine."

Addressing the others without looking, he asks "So, which ones of you are voluntary and which ones were drafted? I'm in the latter because I was previously in the former."

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Enforcer

"Presumably there's a long story behind that, and why you chose remain in America to be drafted, rather than return to Hungary." The Enforcer replied without any hint of sarcasm. "I am here voluntarily, since H.A.M.M.E.R offered me better salary than my last job."

"That said, I suppose I should get the ball rolling with proper introductions. Since we at least have to try working together, we will need to know one another's names and abilities." The Enforcer said as he stood up from his chair, and took a small bow. "As you might have surmised by now, I am the Enforcer, although if you wish, you may call me Ernie for short. I am your typical brick, although not quite on par as the likes of say... Colossus. I am also the unofficial team physician, so if any of you need medical attention, feel free to find me."
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

28. - Top - End - #28

Thelema

"Sebastian Thelema. I do magic." Upon mentioning this Thelema's eyes and tatoos briefly glow dark purple.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Ein-Nar

"I simply wear a slightly-modified set of body armor from my homeland and use a bigger-than-average gun. I then fly up high and shoot things. Not as well as I used to since I can't get the right type of lens to replace the one in my new visor. If something happens to my gun, I punch things.

What I do is simple enough. I'm what you Americans would call, heavy artillery - backslash - armor troop. Of course, back home I never rose above the equivalent of a specialist or a sergeant."
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2009-04-01 at 10:17 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

30. - Top - End - #30

Thelema

"You are not the only around here who is not American."
    Sebastian says with his London accent. "At least in any way that matters. F-ing citizenry clause." He mutters beneath his breath as he takes out a pack of cigarettes from his jacket and asks the closest security guard or whatever: "I assume I can't smoke inside, so where do I find outside access?"