New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: God-Kings of Lotus

Backed into a corner by the oncoming storm of compassion enraged, Enzo cannot help but break. "Dragon's balls, don't kill me! Please, this is just negotiations! Look, how about we put away the weapons, stay civil? I'll even put my own away." He reaches into the folds of his baggy, pink robe, and discloses a long, thin blade of green jade, sheathed all in rowan wood. He lays the blade aside, just out of arm's reach. "I just want a deal here."

He sighs, stroking the rooster-like wattle that hangs down from his engorged neck. "Now, I don't know anything solid on the Guild, swear on Sextes. But I can tell you what I've heard, all of it. Every city in the Satrap's got deals with the Guild, and they pay off Uncle's men to make sure the deals go over just fine. Anyone tries to break the deal, and the Guild starts a price war. Undercuts all the local merchants to the point of bankruptcy, and it's all perfectly legal."

Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show

Tick 6: Enzo, Watcher
    Tick 8: Rising Echo
    Tick 9: Zephyr, Yomiko, Ivory Eyes

Yomiko
    Spoiler
    Show

One-die stunt, 2 motes.

DV -2.

Ivory Eyes
    Spoiler
    Show

One-die stunt, 2 motes.

DV -2.

Tick 6: Enzo, Watcher
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Barbarian in the Playground

"It sounds as though your uncle commands great power." Watcher says, never once moving the position of his daiklave."Perhaps he is the one that we should be speaking to, not you. Yes, I think that would be a wise move on our part."

"It does raise the question though."
    the masked man moves closer, allowing the sunlight filtering through one of the windows to glint off the golden blade. "Why is that we are wasting our time by continuing to talk to you? Surely we, being the busy people that we are, have much more urgent things then to be worrying about your claims. So tell me, V'neef Enzo. Would your uncle be willing to speak to us about these matters?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Willpower: 6/6
    Personal: 9/15
    Peripheral: 26/45
    Committed: 10

Cha+Presence+6 Personal for First Presence Excellency
    (11d10)[3][10][2][9][6][9][7][3][4][9][6](68)
    Last edited by Ellas Aramond; 2009-05-09 at 10:38 PM.
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

3. - Top - End - #453
    Troll in the Playground

Enzo sniffs. "My friend, I'm not sure you know how the Satrapy works. Uncle V'Neef is a very busy man, and the only ones who talk with are his courtiers and helpmeets. If you wish to travel to Orza, you're welcome to try. But he won't be seeing you. Right now, I think I'm your best chance." He rests uneasy, wishing you all would put down your sundry swords and weapons.

He falls silent for a moment, his eye resting on Rising Echo. Just as a pickpocket lets his vision slide casually from mark to mark, assessing each one's attentiveness and the security of their pockets, so too does he take in every detail of the Minister's mien, trying to unravel whatever secrets he holds. Finally, he speaks. "Minister, how about we draw up a contract, here and now? I'll concede agricultural reforms, and see what trade reforms I can push through. Hell, we're friends, aren't we? Let me do a bit more for you. The Immaculate Order? Forget about it." He smiles smugly, having figured out one step of Echo's plan. He cannot imagine why the Minister would be so dead-set against the cult knowing of Lotus's new regime, but he knows it is a trading chip in his hand. "And in exchange, Lotus pays its Imperial Taxes, and we keep everything civil. I think we can all agree to this, can't we?"

Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show

Tick 10: Enzo, Watcher

Watcher
    Spoiler
    Show

DV -2

Rising Echo
    Spoiler
    Show

Enzo's deal certainly seems more than equitable. Imagine what you could do with that kind of economic benefit, not to mention having the Immaculate Order off your back. How can you not accept? (By spending a willpower, that's how).

I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Echo is quiet for a long moment, thinking things over slowly. Finally, he nods once. When he speaks, his voice is quiet, but very clear. "I can agree to those terms. Lotus will pay the required taxes the Satrap wants for the year, and in return you will oblige the agriculture and trade reforms. However, the laws as they have been rewritten in Lotus stand as they are. We're in control of the city, and we'll play nice with the Satrapy."

For the moment. Echo thinks. Allowing the man to have his jade and keep the Immaculate away for at least the year would give them ample time to turn Lotus into a powerhouse that could easily ignore the Realm's laws as they set up the Deliberative once more.

Spoiler
    Show

Accepting the offer, but making sure he knows that they only go so far as to the borders of the city. The new laws of the city still reign in Lotus.

Channeling Conviction. Charisma+Presence:
    (12d10)[3][3][8][7][6][5][7][3][8][3][3][8](64)

Activating Mastery of Small Manners, yet again.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2009-05-09 at 11:56 PM.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground

Enzo steeples his fingers, thinking over Echo's latest proposition. "Fair enough, fair enough. Now, do any of you have any further requests or complaints, or should I begin drawing up the contract? I would hope that we can finish the matter here and now. Perhaps afterward, I could indulge you in some Chiaroscuro hot chocolate? Fine stuff, fine stuff. Let's finish, so we can hurry up with things much more pleasant."

Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show

Tick 10: Enzo, Watcher
    Tick 12: Rising Echo

Rising Echo
    Spoiler
    Show

One-die stunt, 2 motes

DV -2

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

The Invincible Maiden stops clenching her fists, blood rushing back into them. The fear of them man tugs on her heart but she fights it knowing what a vermin he is, and now especially because he is only weak and a puppet of the immaculates. She looks at Rising Echo and finally gives a warm motherly smile. "I think it's fair. It is true the people of Lotus a government some sort tithe... And I do hope you are true to your word, Enzo. We wouldn't want you to be anything else, would we?" She continues to smile at him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cha+Presense: (8d10)[3][4][2][7][6][5][2][6](35)
    Edit: These boards DESPISE me.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-05-10 at 12:18 AM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr smiled , looking at the Invincible Maiden. Of course he will. Even if he were not an honest and honorable, I'm sure he would know that reneging on any deal with us, or otherwise interfering with our governorship of Lotus would have dire personal consequences. But I'm sure he understands the situation perfectly, and such threats are not needed. Now, let's draw up this contract and, as you say Enzo, be done with it. I have a great deal of bussiness to conduct. Oh, and Enzo... He smiled I would make sure that all of your books that have anything to do with Lotus are in order. I wouldn't want to make my guardsmen testy by making them puzzle out poor handwriting or try to figure out why sums weren't adding up. It's not what they're trained for, and such irritations make their sword-arms itch.

Spoiler
    Show

One last (not so) veiled threat. Charisma + Presence, and another 4m spent for 2 successes.

(7d10)[5][3][10][5][5][1][2](31)

8. - Top - End - #458
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Ivory Eyes folds her hands in her lap and sighs softly, then turns back to the negotiations, still hard as flint:

"All contracts shall be subject to renegotiation a year from their institution. All relationships between Lotus and the Satrapy should be handled by a single representitive--you," she says, not bothering to preface herself. With any luck, Enzo will take the second clause as the subtle compliment it is--the implication that Lotus will do business with him and him alone.

Spoiler
    Show

Personal: 0/18
    Peripheral: 31/36 (5 Invested)

Ivory doesn't want to be locked into a contract.

Cha + Presence + 3 Successes
    (8d10)[9][4][1][4][6][9][5][3](41) + 3 Successes.
    Last edited by GryffonDurime; 2009-05-10 at 10:33 AM.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Troll in the Playground

"An excellent plan!" chirps Enzo, riddling out a acid-green quill from some secret pocket of his robes. He politely ignores Yomiko and Zephyr's brandished threats, and quickly begins drawing up a contract, etching clauses and disclaimers with familiar ease. While he still seems tense - doubtlessly owing to the sheet number of blades pointed or ready to be pointed at his throat - he still seems greatly enlivened by his work. After about a half hour of legalistic scribblings, punctuated by occasional interjections from the circle, Enzo produces a complete draft, proffering it to you. "I hope this is satisfactory for the both of us?"

10. - Top - End - #460

Watcher

"Hrrm." Watcher mutters. Knowing that threats at this late stage will do no good, he sheathes his blade and returns to leaning against a wall. Obviously unhappy, he never takes his eyes off Enzo.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo works closely with Enzo, making sure that Lotus does not get caught by unaware clauses or anything. Occasionally, he tries to insert his own wordings into the contract that leaves open holes for breaking the contract if required by the circle. Clauses that have esoteric chances of happening, but would not be outside the realm of possibility to manufacture and recover from.

Spoiler
    Show

First Bureaucracy Excellency during the contract writing, plus burning a Willpower for a success. 8 personal motes used.

Will: 3/6

(16d10)[2][1][10][6][6][3][8][1][4][2][2][9][4][5][5][2](70)+1 success.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

As Rising Echo scans the terms of the contract, he finds it to be generally to his liking–all the concessions provided by Enzo are written in fair and unambiguous terms, and the tax rates provided conform strictly to the Imperial Rubric. The swathing of footnotes and endnotes does hold a few errant clauses, harsh penalties for non-compliance or eminent domain previsions, but Enzo quickly scratches these out at the arching of Rising Echo's glorious solar eyebrow, each hair as a ray of orichalcum. In the end, the contract produced is one that will be to Lotus's benefit. Enzo signs it with emerald ink, and stamps it with a jade chop. He then offers the scroll up to the five of you, awaiting your signatures.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

Echo smiles as the tax collector is forced to remove the clauses that could have caught Lotus unawares. Reading through it one last time, Echo takes the pen last among his circle and puts it to paper, signing with a flourish that reminds one of the sun and moon dancing together across the paper. The calligraphy of Echo seems to burn with the beauty of the sun's corona, as with each single movement of his hand, the paper pleads for just one more caress, the pen shuddering in the ecstasy of a master's touch.

Spoiler
    Show

So, Flawless Brush Discipline on the signature. Spending 8 motes personal, leaving me with one left after a 1 die stunt from the last thing.

The signature has adjusted Appearance of 8, and has a Charisma+Presence social attack of (9d10)[10][7][7][10][7][10][8][6][1](66) successes in it, targeted at Enzo.

The unnatural mental influence has Charisma+Performance of (8d10)[7][8][7][5][1][5][6][9](48) successes in it, again modified for an appearance 8 against the target's MDV. Target must spend 3 Willpower to negate the mental influence, or 1 WP per scene. The emotion put forth is one of overwhelming reverence for Echo.

That's a hell of a signature.

Don't be stupid.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr signs with a flourish. His hand is large and bold, his script harsh, and his hands are more used to making a clenched fist than the delicate work of caligraphy. Nevertheless, there is a savage grace in his movements, and his chop displays the same strident confidence that its owner demonstrates. He smiles down at Enzo.

"A pleasure doing business with you. Be sure to give your revered Uncle the regards of his subjects in Lotus." The Lunar said with an enigmatic quirk of his lips.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

Enzo cannot help but gape in awe as Rising Echo's seductive pen writes ecstatic rejoicing across the paper, signing a signature not unlike that which graced the Creation-Ruling Mandate. It is a work of calligraphy not to be rivaled for years to come, a web of sinuous grace and inky perfection to snare the reverence of even Enzo, and all others who gaze upon it. "Minister..." he stammers, overwhelmed by a wave of newfound respect.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo smiles kindly at Enzo. "Continue on with your work, Enzo. But keep Lotus close to your mind and heart, and we will be there with you as well. You would not want to disappoint me by letting Lotus languish, would you?"

Echo draws upon the memories of his first incarnation, recalling dealings with a dragon of shadow and spite, of which Enzo is not even a pale shade of, to win the affection of him.

Don't be stupid.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

Enzo calls up a clerk to scribe ample copies of the contract–one for each of you, one for Lotus's archives, one for him, and one for the Satrapy. He does not even speak, over-awed by what he has seen, and the potent magic wrought in Rising Echo's signature (and somewhere in Heaven, a figure in shadows laughs at the fortune he has cast). He does not even bother to take the tax jade with him; his aides assure you that they will come in the following weeks to return with the payment, once the Satrap has seen the newly negotiated contract. With the financial fates of Lotus assured by your eloquent words and steady hands, the rest of the day is yours.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko's expression becomes warm again after the deep-down hostility she felt for the would be tax collector as she smiles at Echo and signs her eloquent, foreign signature on the form. When that is done she picks her daughter up onto her shoulders again and looks up at her as she walks to the door, "Let's go shopping for a bit, Konoko." She turns back to the rest of the group still smiling, "It has been a pleasure, let's all meet again soon." There's a strange feeling in her words that she is entirely excluding Enzo in her statement.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded at the others. He gingerly touched the fresh-healed flesh under his armor, recalling another, rather more serious conflict just a few scant days ago. "Aye... I have much business to attend to attend to. An officer's work is never done, unless he's a lazy bastard." Zephyr said with a grin as he headed to the door. "If you need to find me, I'll be down at the central house"

20. - Top - End - #470
    Troll in the Playground

Echo smiles at Enzo as he leaves, before standing himself and looking at those of his circle. "I have something to do that I've been putting off for several days as well. Unless any of you need me for something more, I think I'll go take care of it."

Echo waits a moment to hear any comments, before heading out of the meeting room, whistling quietly to himself while tucking his copy of the trade agreement into a sleeve.

Echo walks through the government building, heading for his offices, where he hopes to find his Resplendent Secretary hard at work.

Don't be stupid.

21. - Top - End - #471

Watcher waits until Yomiko is out of earshot before he speaks, not wanting her to be concerned with his words. "Yet another piece of slime we let walk away. The only thing our talking did was put more jade into the pockets of the empire." He walks towards the door, fists clenched in anger. "Are we not trying to free these people? How can we do that by only tightening their chains? Just keep in mind, eventually, one of our dealings will not go in our favor."

"Now if you will excuse me."
    He pulls his hat lower over his brow, "There is a kidnapper that is being particularly elusive."

Once out of the circle's view, he sticks to the crowds and shadows, keeping an eye on Yomiko and her daughter; not because he suspects her of anything, only because he feels an odd need to keep an eye on her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth+Dex, if needed
    (7d10)[10][9][2][6][6][9][2](44)
    Last edited by Ellas Aramond; 2009-05-12 at 11:38 PM.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:

22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko browses, passing by shops and looking through windows and holding her daughter's hand. As she walks and when she doesn't speak to her daughter she sings a low melody... a sad song that has roots of anger, but the subtle melodies are almost undetectable. It also isn't obvious to the mortal eye but she is unusually short with her daughter.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo goes to his offices, where his staff of a few dedicated men and a single woman work quietly under the direction of the Resplendent Secretary of Trade.

Echo smiles at the man, before moving to his own desk, and begins to peruse the reports of the past few days, giving his copy of the newly drawn up agreement to the Secretary to read over and file.

Near the end of the day, Echo goes to his Secretary. "Walk with me, I have something I wish to discuss with you."

Looking slightly surprised, as Echo had not interrupted him in his duties in the past days that the office of trade had been busy working, the Resplendent Secretary stood up and nodded, following the man that had saved him from serving the herb stoned Mayor.

Echo walked outside of the governmental district quietly, smiling as he saw the first touches of true prosperity beginning to take hold of Lotus. Here and there, a farmer is haggling with a merchant, and has enough script to buy what he needs. The stalls seem to be just slightly busier, as people are heartened by the slow drop in prices. The merchant leaders of Lotus seeing that a higher quantity of buyers makes up for the slightly less prices that are being enforced by tax codes that do not allow them to gouge everyone.

The Resplendent Secretary is quiet for a while, before finally speaking as they walk through the city. "May I ask what you wished to speak of, Minister?"

Echo nods. "You have done very well while working for me. The classes that you have been attending have given your already good handle of bureaucratic methods an edge."

They reach Echo's home, a modest thing. Negotiated with someone for rental purposes, he's been thinking about purchasing it outright soon. The two bedroom house faces the rising sun, and the master bedroom opens that way as well. Echo enters, motioning the Secretary in as well.

"You've read the new tax codes and laws through a few times, and I think you realize that Lotus will soon be a powerful, rising star in the East. A guide to all around us that we are the way."

The Secretary nods slightly, not quite convinced of the ease of which Echo speaks, but sure that Lotus would grow. He is more interested at the moment in the open room into which they have walked, more than Echo's speech.

The room is open and decorated with imagery of the Sun and Moon, almost seemingly playing at hiding in different locations around the room. Here and there, the symbol of the Eclipse caste appears as sun and moon find each other.

"However, for the future I forsee in Lotus, I will need someone that is more than mortal as my right hand, helping to guide the city forward." Echo states from behind Secretary.

The man whirls, half expecting to find his employer ready to strike him down. Instead, light streams from Echo as his caste mark flares in the room, nearly blinding.

Echo holds an open hand to the Secretary. "I am Rising Echo, Eclipse caste Solar, servant of the Unconquered Sun. I am offering you to have a portion of the Sun's glory reflected through you."

Secretary gasps, looking at Rising Echo. "Anathema." he whispers, shaking his head wildly.

"Not Anathema. I have done nothing as the Immaculate say, and I have only brought prosperity to the city. The town flourishes with the prayers given to the gods, instead of languishing as it has been. I am offering you an even more glorious position."

The Resplendent Secretary is quiet for a moment, before reaching out and clasping Echo's hand as a corona of light surrounds him.

"No more are you just a Resplendent Secretary. You are now Jubilant Dawn, and Lotus will rise up with all of us." Echo smiles at the man.

Spoiler
    Show

Obviously, Power Awarding Prana. Spending my 10 motes from Solar Glory on this, plus 5 more from peripheral.

Don't be stupid.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

As the Resplendent Secretary, now called Jubilant Dawn, grasps Rising Echo's hand, the clouds part in the sky, and a golden lance of light descends, gently warming his brow. Golden essence floods through him, body and soul. It is not quite the second breath, not true exaltation–but it is power, power no mere mortal has held for ages. The man now named Jubilant Dawn has transformed, in a moment no greater than a hummingbird's heartbeat, from a mere bureaucrat to the mightiest mortal of the East.

He is without words for a moment, overcome by the golden upsurge of power within him. When he speaks, his voice is changed, echoing with authority and surety. Never again will his voice tremor, even when Echo retracts his gift, for to know the touch of the Sun is to know one's place in the order of Creation, to know the excellence that sleeps coiled about one's own soul. "By the power of Yu-Shan!" he exclaims, awed and over-awed.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Troll in the Playground

The days that come after pass swiftly, like sea-swifts winging their path above the sprays of salty spindrift. Passing out of the Season of Wood, the ever-turning wheel of Creation enters the month of Resplendent Fire, the languorous warmth that precedes the baleful heat of the year's end. Crops flourish and are harvested, a bountiful outpouring of rice that sends farmers to the shrines in praise. O-Mochi is a frequent guest in the streets of Lotus, and he shares glistering crystalline urns, brimming with rice, with any who know the touch of hunger. Guided by Jubilant Dawn, the bureaucracy thrives, seeing to it that the new laws handed down by the returned Lawgivers are implemented. The Satrapy is paid a fair sum of taxes and harasses you not; the Satrap himself writes Rising Echo a few amicable, if paternal, letters. The Guild is a distant presence only, its fatted and lickerish merchants unwilling to travel in the harsh heats of Fire. It is a good time, suffused with peace and bounty. The people of Lotus, for the first time since the dire drought of last year, know happiness.

But it is not the way of the world for peace to be without end, and soon the star of Mars surpasses the cerulean light of Venus in the sky. Somewhere in the Heavens there is a star for Lotus, a glimmering pearl of fate–and it enters now into the constellation of the Quiver, wherein all the arrows of havoc and strife are limbered. And so it is that a courier, his fulvous garb torn and muddied, enters into your offices, all but deaf of exhaustion. As the circle draws round him, he gasps out a harried phrase, a haggard warning of war: "Raiders. They're massing outside of the city, killing the farmers!"
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-05-14 at 08:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #476

Standing unseen on the other side of a window, Watcher looks over the people as they go about their lives. Slightly satisfied with the way things have been going lately. Until, of course, he hears the courier's message. Jumping through the window, he lands not five feet away from the man; anger practically radiating off him in waves.

"Where?" Is all he has to ask.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:

27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground

Transplanted.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-05-15 at 05:15 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

Heaving and starved of air, the courier rattles off what little he can. "They're at the Riverside Fields–they marched up just a few minutes ago, and started killing every man they saw. The guard mobilized, but they're outnumbered by...rice and ruin, I couldn't even count. Captain Zephyr, what are they do do?"

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr whirled, his expression flat and his eyes filled with wroth. "My men will hold the line. Tell the militia to arm themselves, and assemble on the field. I go to join my men. I'll kill every last one of the raiders with my own two hands, if need be." With that, he sprinted for the roof of the palace, his form already blurring. Assuming the shape of the Steel Shadow, the most swift-winged creature available to him, he leaped from the roof, tearing through the sky like a bolt of black lightning.

As he flew, sparrows and hawks flocked about him, and he distributed messengers to his animal auxiliaries. Not only would the forces of Lotus be turned against the raiders, but the very claws of wood and sky themselves.
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2009-05-15 at 09:23 PM.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

Zephyr wings over the city with the speed granted by his new shape, quickly arriving at the site of the first real battle. He drifts among the thin airs as if a windhover, watching the conflict before descending: an organized horde of some few hundred raiders, clad in outlandish garb, fight against a paltry force of Lotus's watchmen. The militia have yet to arrive, scrambling to don their chainmail and take up their pikes–all Zephyr has to work with, for now, are the few dozen guards already engaged in combat. While his avian messengers will soon retrieve what animal allies they can, it will be meaningless unless the warriors of Lotus can hold off the raiders until then.