New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: God-Kings of Lotus

Rising Echo

Shaking his head ruefully, Rising Echo spoke. "I do not require an oath to trust someone, I only invoke it when I want an oath to have consequences beyond what any mortal or one of us could inflict."

Rising Echo then looked at Zephyr. "The current mayor is a drug addled wastrel, that only wishes to continue his happy life of drugs. I am fairly certain that is the only reason he even holds the position he does, because that is the best way for him to stay high. I can bring you all in as hires under my new ministry, and then you may easily climb the ladders throughout. It would not be the work of much time to take the government, especially once we have the backing of the common folk." He nods to the Rice Minister. "With their promise of better crops and less taxes taking them all away, the people will be behind us and the new leader of the offically recognized spirit court..." Rising Echo pauses, looking at the Minister. "I do believe that I have not heard your name, Minister. Did I perhaps miss it because of my slow pace in getting here?"
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

The Minister grins, seeming humble as a eunuch. "My name is O-Mochi, to which one might append one of many titles. By the same sign, I know not any of your names, save you two; a slight inconvenience if I am to win you the favor of the gods." He laughs at this, a healthy chuckle.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-04-07 at 09:03 PM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

"I am Rising Echo. Named for, as I have been told, the sounds I made as a child, the echos of my lusty screams of hunger rising among the trees of my home village."
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr grinned and nodded. I thank you for your name, honorable O-Mochi, and I am Zephyr Scales-of-War, as I believe I have said. Zephyr was the name my father gave me, after the fierce desert wind. My surname is a gift of Luna, and... his grin widened Well... when you see my spirit shape, you will not wonder for the reason behind it.

Speaking of which
    he continued I'm not sure how suitable I will be in your department, Rising Echo. I have no head for facts and figures. The way of battle is my path - I know how to speak to men, and how to command. I spent many years in the fighting pits, and I few are my equal when it comes to fighting. I think, perhaps, it would be best if I found my way into whatever the local strong-men are called. Perhaps the governor has a bodyguard of rough characters or some such. I think I could have them under my sway soon enough, one way or another.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

"I am Ivory Eyes," the girl repeats, nodding to the minister to reaffirm her goodwill before pointing to the rather obvious source of her name--her white-irised eyes. "And I'm afraid I must agree with Zephyr. I'm sure I've mind enough for commerce, but not nearly the interest--even enough for such a farce. But with the Minister's help, and his willingness to claim me as Godblooded to better ply my trade, I would see to it that the people of Lotus are fed. With a measure of resources, I could perhaps do better: begin stockpiling medicines and alchemical ungents that elicit courage and make a hero from a swineherd. Beyond that...I am just a sorceress," she says with an astounding measure of humility for an initiate of the Sapphire Circle. She folds her hands in her lap and stares at them intently, unwilling to address anyone in the eyes.

"I would not see Lotus turn to slaughter, either. Surely, there must be a third path? Rising Echo can work within, and the rest of us can work without. What we provide, I assume, is obvious. When we are trusted, when the spirits stand beside us, we can reveal ourselves in glory. I can only counsel a measured patience," she says at last, clenching her hands into small fists.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

"I agree, Ivory." Rising Echo nods. "I will support getting any of you into the government as needed, but there is no need for a bloody overthrow. Enough of the mayor's drug needs, allow him to have a little room by himself, and occasionally pass him meaningless paperwork if he really wants it. There is no reason to kill him."

"As for you Zephyr, I have a feeling I will need a good trainer for men that will be hired to protect the town's newest investments when trade comes to Lotus in full strength."

Don't be stupid.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded at Rising Echo's proposition That, I can most certainly agree with. I would be happy to help train whatever men Lotus can provide. Make no mistake, we will need fighting men. He looked at Ivory Eyes, his face softening. I do not want senseless bloodshed or needless slaughter, either. But if nothing else, sooner or later the Realm will learn of us, and there will be war. We must be ready when that day comes.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Her face went from triumphant to just a bit concerned, pink lips pouting slightly. She tilts her head to the side slightly and speaks not with as much zeal for battle as before, "Surely it was not blood I sought, but the quickest route to our destined path. These people would surely easily be spoken to if they do not desire a new ruler, especially if he is so addicted to wicked substances. I have all but the greatest sympathies for any warriors who may oppose us and could unfortunately fall... I only believe a strait-forward taking of this government will cause for the least loss of life..." she makes a fist up in front of her and looks at it almost sadly, "...surely so passively they will strike from the shadows and with knives, causing more deaths than any other possible path."
    She looks up and her sad, tilted face suddenly goes back to happy and straitened, "And of course, I would never be so rude as not to introduce myself. My name is Invincible Maiden Yomiko and this is my daughter, Konoko."
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo bows to mother and daughter, grinning at the little one. "I have a feeling, Maiden, that there might be all of eight warriors among the whole village. I would prefer that we not usurp the current rulership, rather replace them without destroying any goodwill we might garner by doing so without bloodshed."

Don't be stupid.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

Watcher

"While you keep the city safe from those outside, I can keep an eye on the people. There is always the chance for sabotage, and I would not have what we do sacrificed be those we seek to protect. I would need to work outside of the city guard, of course. The citizens would not be happy to learn that one such as I was employed." If one listened close enough, they could detect a small not or humor in his otherwise serious tone.
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Konoko leers back at Rising Echo, fierce eyes taking in every detail of the Trade Minister's manner. "That's not quite right, you know." she corrects, her manners measured but with no little snarkiness. "I saw the guards leaving the mayor's office-thing the other night. There were more than eight. Lots more than eight. Like, easily a couple dozen. And that was just the one shift. So all in all, definitely more than eight, Mister Echo." Were she any other twelve year-old, she might have mocked him for his flowery sobriquet, but then again, this is the child of "Invincible Maiden Yomiko."
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr smiled, thumping one fist on his chest. Once again, he found himself of one mind with Rising Echo. Aye, I too doubt that this place has much strength under arms. Even if they have dozens, nay, hundreds. I say without boasting that I could take the entire place by storm by myself if I had to. They are, after all, only mortal, and I am a chosen warrior of Luna herself! - though my method of doing so would likely be far more dangerous, as it would probably call the Hunt down on us. He said, with a soft chuckle No - I agree that we replace the current leadership. When the benefits of having us in charge become clear, we will be carried in on the shoulder of the people, and we will have no need to walk into the palace over blood-slick stones.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko can't quite help but turn her head and hold back a laugh at her little girl's outburst. "Come now Kono, it doesn't pay to be so rude..." She blinks and then looks up and around at her, "Konoko, when did you see the guards?"

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo smiles once more at Konoko. "Ah, I see we have a little spymaster with us as well. I thank you for your information, One who Hides Deviousness in Cuteness. I have been in town only a few days, and today was the first day of my appointment, so I had not seen the guards myself."

Echo then looks to Yomiko. "Quite the child you have. I fear for my own position when she gains her majority."
    Last edited by Lochar; 2009-04-07 at 10:36 PM.

Don't be stupid.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Konoko has the wisdom to shut her mouth, but even a Golden Child as strong-willed as she withers under the maternal gaze of the Invincible Maiden. "Um. Definitely not when I snuck out while you were asleep. Nope. Not then. "

"sorry."

Between Yomiko's maternal inquisition and Echo's condescension, Konoko decides that now would be a good time to hang her head low and stop talking, her cheeks red like roseate opal.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-04-07 at 10:40 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

"...If you're going to sneak out and spy on people, you need to wake me up so I can come, Konoko." She looks at her little girl disapprovingly. "I don't know what I'd do if you were hurt."
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-04-07 at 10:57 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr blinked rapidly. He had little experience dealing with children, which made Ivory Eye's youth all the more odd to him. Still, the Maiden's child seemed to be a clever one. He just hoped that she would not prove a weapon through which their enemies would strike at them.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

Watcher

"Hrmm." He les out, hoping the noise will attract some attention. "Fearing for her saftey, Yomiko, is of course, a good idea. But you would be surprised at just how much children notice. They see the world through a different eyes. Untainted by the experiences of life. Perhaps little Konoko can help us. To see things that we don't."

"Hrmm."
    He sticks his hands in the pockets of his coat as he falls silent, seeming almost embarrassed by his words.
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko looks like she's pondering for a moment, then looks back at her daughter on her shoulders, suddenly realizing the unusual behavior. "Kono, why were you sneaking out anyway?" She asked in a way that wasn't scathing, but curious.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Konoko, her eyes fixed on the ground beneath her, hastily mumbles "There was this really loud thud that woke me up, so I went outside to go see what it was, and there was this stupid glowy man jumping around the roofs, so I went an' followed him. He was all headin' towards the palace, but then when the guards came out, I went back home, so I wouldn't get caught." She lifts her face to look at Echo, playfully sticking out her tongue. "Now, if there were only eight guards, I would've stayed, because eight guards definitely can't catch me."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo grins back at Konoko. "I can imagine. But a glowing man, jumping between roofs?" He pauses, thinking. He then looks at O-Mochi. "Do you know of any others in the village that might do such? Possibly the city god, if not one of the Lawbringers or Lunars? Because I haven't seen any sort of true Immaculate monks in the city."

Don't be stupid.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

O-Mochi shakes his head almost sorrowfully. "No, I've not seen any of the Exalted set foot within Lotus since the end of the First Age, the dragon's treachery." His eyes seem to glisten, but he soon wipes them dry. "And the City Mother of Lotus...would not be leaping about on rooftops. That would...no, that would be rather ridiculous."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr scratched his chin, his eyes narrowing slightly This may seem a stupid question... but you said the person glowed. What color did the glow have? What did it look like, if you had a chance to notice?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Konoko seems flustered by this question. "It was red, and he was all...glowy. You know. Glowy." She waves her hands in an ultimately futile attempt to communicate the concept. "It's just normal being glowy. Show them, mommy."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr grimaced Red, hmm? he looked at the others. Last time I saw anyone with a red anima, it was a fire-aspected dragon-blood. Perhaps an agent of the Realm or an Immaculate monk whose managed not to make themself known so far?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

"There are other creatures besides just the Fire-Aspected monks that have a red aura, though I can't think of any." Rising Echo adds. "Though the Dragons are the most abundant."

Spoiler
    Show

Trying to recall anything else with a red aura.

(9d10)[9][3][2][3][7][3][8][6][4](45) and spending 4 motes peripheral for the second lore excellency to get 2 bonus successes.

Depending on your call, TD1, Anima banner has had 14 motes pass through it now. Don't know if it would have dropped from the 10 motes spent earlier for the oath.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2009-04-08 at 11:39 AM.

Don't be stupid.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

O-Mochi shakes his head in disbelief. "No, I greatly doubt that. While it may well be a Crimson Dragon, no agent of the Empire or Immaculate would ever act with stealth or subtlety. Were he one of the Regent's men, he would either be living like a lord in flagrant luxury or scouring this city for treachery. And if he were an Immaculate, well, he would have set himself up in the temple and most likely have beaten me simply for craving worship. No, this Dynast, if that is what he is, has some subtler agenda."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr shrugged. I confess, I know little of how the Realm and its agents operate. My only encounters with them have been brief and unpleasant. He smirked For them. He pursed his lips. Still, this bears further investigation. If it is a Dragon-Blooded, we will have to deal with him one way or another.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Invincible Maiden Yomiko smiles at her daughter's request, knowing to her being an exalt is simply... normal. She then holds her head up some and her essence courses through her even more swiftly than blood as the golden full sun erupts upon her forehead and she's surrounded by a glorious golden corona, like the very surface of the sun upon her flesh, though harmless.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Konoko grins happily, and points to her gold-limned mother. "Like that! Glowy!" She grins at Echo's anima banner–"You can do it to, see? She practically bounces, all embarrassment forgotten. "The glowy man's glowy looked just like that, except it was red and all flickery."