New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: God-Kings of Lotus

Ivory Eyes shields her eyes briefly, unaccustomed to the flare of another Solar's anima. Her experience with Exalted--other Exalted--has been largely an exercise of theory rather than practice, and a spark of Essence flares in her eyes as she searched her not-inconsiderable knowledgebase for any knowledge as to a flickery, red anima.

Spoiler
    Show

I think this roll is actually Int + Occult, since it's matters of anima.
    (8d10)[9][8][1][5][2][3][8][2](38) and I can't believe I didn't take the Occult Excellency!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded to himself. Yes, 'red and flickery' indeed. Definitely sounded like a fire-exalt of the Dragon blooded. He tapped his finger on the seat thoughtfully. Aye. Unless it's a trick, it sounds like one of the Dragon-Blooded, sure enough. Perhaps it's a covert investigator come to see about the laxitude of the governor. As you say, Minister, it seems as though he would simply announce his presence and have the Regent flayed or some such for his indolence, but perhaps he has more subtle designs. Who knows? The important thing is that we find the Dragon-Blood and make sure he doesn't report our presence to the Realm or the Immaculate Order. Or whoever he serves.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Watcher

"A Dynast trying to be sneaky? I believe I can take care of this one. My investigative skills are nothing to be scoffed at. This interests me greatly: one who would use the shadows same as I."
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo nods to Konoko. "That I do. Do you think you could recognize him again, if he wasn't glowy?"

Echo looks at Yomiko. "And no, I'm not asking her to go looking for him. Just that your girl is the only one to even have seen him so far."
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Konoko shakes her head with no hesitation. "It was all at night, and he was real far away. If you see someone jumping really, really far, it's probably him." She seems almost ashamed to not be of more use. "I could show you where he was, maybe...just not tell you what he looked like."
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded. If your mother is all right with that, it would be a start, at least. Watcher, I'm sure that you will be able to handle the matter of tracking whoever this red-glowing fellow might be. If you need any help dealing with him, let me know. I have experience in that area. he said, his hands absently tracing the whorls and spirals that decorated the moonsilver armor beneath his cloak.

So, with Watcher handling that matter, I say that tommorrow we proceed to the Regent's palace. With the assistance of Rising Echo, those of us with the intent to do so will procure positions within the government. I doubt it will take us long to win our subordinates over to us, and after that we can work on pushing the Regent out of power.

7. - Top - End - #97

Watcher

"I will keep in contact." he nods of Zephyr, not doubting the man's words. I should get started immediately. Unless there are other matters I should be aware of, I will see you at the palace tomorrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    If no one tries to keep him around, he'll go out and disappear as best he can from their view, heading back to the city. Once there, he'll start his work.

Stealth + Dexterity to stay out of sight(7d6)[4][2][2][5][3][6][3](25)

Manipulation+ Investigation (+ first excellency, using 6 personal motes) to find out anything about this fiery exalt. (13d6)[3][1][5][1][5][5][3][2][2][6][5][6][2](46)

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

8. - Top - End - #98

((I totally rolled the wrong dice for that...))

Stealth + Dexterity to stay out of sight (7d10)[2][6][5][10][10][9][6](48)

Manipulation+ Investigation (+ first excellency, using 6 personal motes) to find out anything about this fiery exalt. (13d10)[8][3][10][2][1][4][3][7][6][2][9][3][6](64)

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

As Watcher goes out to hunt down the mysterious figure and the rest discuss the matter, Konoko surreptitiously sidles up to Ivory Eyes, and whispers to her, "You're like my mom, right? Exalted? So you're probably, like, really seven hundred years old and you just stopped aging, right? Because, um, just in case you aren't...hi. My name's Konoko."
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo nods. "I will need to prepare for my work in bringing you all in, and I must speak with a few people today before the day ends."

Echo then looks the Minister. "O-Mochi, I will need a few days to make sure that the Immaculate presence here doesn't immediately alert their superiors about you removing yourself from the calendar. Can you give me three days before the prayers begin?"
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

O-Mochi ponders this serenely, stroking the wisps of his white beard. "Of course, as long as you require. If the matter is settled, then I in turn will set out for the spirit courts, to see what loyalty I can win. While I cannot promise their aid, my efforts and ambition shall be boundless–if it is given over to me, then the very Censor of the East will be at your service. Lest any of you wish to speak further with me, I shall depart." He closes one hand into a tight fist, and then opens it with prestidigitatorial grace, revealing a perfectly-sculpted rice ball, wrapped about by a strip of seaweed like black velvet. He rolls it about in the palm of his hand, waiting to see if any of his hosts have anything further to say.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded. Aye, I cannot think of anything more, save to ask where we shall meet tommorrow, and when. Noon, perhaps, on the steps of the Regent's dwelling?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

O-Mochi nods curtly. "I shall see you then, or at the least send word. Farewell!" With a dramatic gesture, he flings his conjured rice ball to the ground. It explodes in a flash that spews forth white smoke, a fuming veil that entirely encloses the god. By the time it disperses, he is gone, off to whatever strange abodes such spirits keep.

With your meeting passed, those of you who return to Lotus find that it is already late evening by the time you return. The sky is grey, sapped of its colors, and the cityfolk seem to have withdrawn indoors–scarcely a soul sets foot on the streets.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Between leaving Bronzeheart and reaching Lotus, you all respire 8 motes, from the leisurely walk of about two hours. If you've got a cult, you gain motes/willpower appropriately for that.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-04-08 at 09:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104

Ivory Eyes rushes no one from her home, offering them beds if they desire. When at last all are gone or settled, she moves towards her own bedroom, gesturing towards Zephyr, beckoning with an innocent smile.

"I have a favor to ask of you, Zephyr Scales-of-War," she says as she collects a few fine candles, lights them with a steady wrist well acquainted with flint-and-tinder. "Tell me, have you ever summoned an elemental being?"
    Last edited by GryffonDurime; 2009-04-08 at 09:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo notices the emptiness of the town as he and his companions enter. Too quiet. The people were at the inns drinking most likely, but still. "Soon, Lotus will grow, and there will be people on the streets, even after the sun sets. There will be more leisure time for all, as we empower the city."

Rising Echo smiles at his companions. "For the moment though, I think I will go sound out a few people. I would like to learn just how strong certain convictions are here. I will see you all in the morning?"

Assuming no one tries to stop him, Rising Echo heads off. His first stop of the evening is the Immaculate temple, where he wishes to see if any of the monks there are pious enough to stay there, when there is drinking to be done at the inns.

Don't be stupid.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

The Immaculate Temple is immaculately free of inhabitants, its doors locked by a mere scrap of iron that even a persistent mortal could easily shatter. To Rising Echo's discerning eye, the temple's state betrays a certain dearth of devotion on the part of its caretakers: the courtyard is overgrown with weeds (not to mention the abundantly-growing wild rice that marks the footsteps of O-Mochi, still lingering from his earlier visit), the temple's red-tile roof is badly cracked and missing many of its tiles, and the wooden walls of the temple, where they are not rotted away entirely, are obscured under a palimpset of obscene carvings and crude graffiti, including one particularly eloquent dissertation on the sexual exploits of the Scarlet Empress (although the line about the Ebon Dragon's tongue is somewhat hard to swallow). A clay bowl has been left before the temple threshold for alms; not one splinter of jade or silver graces it.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo grins quietly to himself as he sees the temple's appearance. Short of this other Dragon Blooded Konoko had seen, it appeared they wouldn't be having many issues at first with the Realm.

Rising Echo then set off, away from the Immaculate Temple, towards one of the inns. It'd be the perfect place to start talking to the people about their issues, after all.

Don't be stupid.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo, and those who follow him, find the nearest local tavern a pitiful thing. No comical signposts proclaim its name; no carousing fills it with warmth and mirth. The patrons of the nameless alehouse sit slumped over filthy mugs of little more than grain alcohol and water, the potent drinking numbing the pains of the day. Glancing at the list of prices, Rising Echo realizes that a night of drinking here would cost a farmer his day's wage if not more, based on what they told him earlier in the market. The publican sits hunched on a stool, poring over a mildew-grey scroll of lurid obscenities. None notice his entrance–or at the least, those who noticed it do not acknowledge it.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

The cloaked and gold-armored woman walks in with her daughter at her side, realizing quite quickly that she best be ready to defend her daughter from what may come. She looks around, giving an intimidating look to anyone that looks up at her and holds Konoko closer to her, wondering if this was even close to a good place to bring her.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr shook his head. I am not a sorcerer, and I have no skills in that area. Still, if there is anything I can do to help you, I will. And speaking of which...

Zephyr knelt, looking directly at Ivory Eyes There is something you should know. I have felt the pull in my soul ever since I entered the city. Your soul is companion to mine, ever since the First Age. I am your bonded companion, and whatever you need from me, I shall do. All our new compatriots have my loyalty, but you above all.

21. - Top - End - #111

Ivory Eyes looks up briefly at Zephyr, then averts her eyes, focusing intently on the candles before her.

"I'd...I'd heard of that. That the Lunars were...but I can't feel it. I'm sorry. I'd love to tell you that it's mutual, that I felt the tug of your soul as you did mine but..."

Ivory quells one of the candles' flames, closing her fist around it and grinding it into ash. Her eyes remain fixed towards the floor as her hands search for the proper gestures.

"All I ask if that you protect me, if the binding goes awry. It shouldn't. I've skill enough. Even still...I think I'd feel better if someone--you're here with me."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

The Lunar shrugged. He hadn't known how she was going to react, but he had prepared himself for such a thing. He smiled, then nodded. It is of little consequence. I just wanted you to know. If I seem to be more protective of you than of the others, that is the reason. I was not expecting you to suddenly fall in love with me. he laughed Nor am I with you, which is a good thing, as it would be... awkward, to say the least. It is merely that I am bound to you. I care for you, and I will always protect you. My loyalty is yours. Now, with that out of the way, begin the summoning. I will take action should anything go wrong, but I will not yet assume the War Form. I do not wish to seem hostile; that would likely only hinder your negotiations.

23. - Top - End - #113

Ivory Eyes raises an eyebrow at 'awkward,' and then nods, smiling, as if she understands. "How old do you think I am?" she asks. She gestures for him not to respond, takes a moment to compose herself, and then begins her chant. With each word, motes of light and bits of elemental nothing flare through her anima, and her eyes reflect each element in turn.

<< By the Mandate, I invoke you. Earth. Fire. Water. Air. Wood. Come, child of Creation, child of Gaia. Come, dragon-that-is-not-yet-a-dragon. Earth. Fire. Water. Air. Wood. >>

Spoiler
    Show
    Settle in, WhiteKnight, because what Ivory didn't tell you is that you'll be listening to her repeat that stanza for four hours. At that time, she'll finally be summoning one of the elementals recommended to her my O-Mochi.
    30m, 1 w. That means that if/when it does come down to a test of wills, the elemental is at a -4 penalty on the Essence + Willpower roll...which, from O-Mochi's description, probably isn't good for the elemental.
    Last edited by GryffonDurime; 2009-04-10 at 08:49 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo looks around the tavern, spotting a few of the men from the mob earlier today.

Motioning quietly for Yomiko to stay back in case of more riots, Rising Echo walks to the center of the inn. Here goes nothing.

Raising his voice to where all could hear him, even over a drunken stupor, he began speaking. "Ladies and gentlemen. If I could have your attention please. As some of you may know, I have been invested as the Minister of Trade for Lotus. I spoke with several of you today at the markets," he motions to the men in the crowd that were in the mob, "and you know that I promised to look into the issues of the taxes taking all your food. Well, I have the first step of the solution. The problem with the taxes as they stand now are that they take everything that the field currently produces. Thanks to my fortuitous encounter with O-Mochi, God of the Wild Rice, I have bargained with him to lead the small gods that are among your crops to increase their strength, and to make sure you never run into a drought again."

Rising Echo pauses for a moment to allow them the chance to think on that, but only for a few seconds, before he presses on.

"The God of Wild Rice has wished to help you all for years now, but has been unable. Why is that, you might wonder? What makes it different that he can now help? The answer is prayer. Today was his prayer day and he had the energy to appear before me to make this bargain. However, he can only keep up his part of the bargain on a day that he receives prayer. Therefore, I need all those that wish for the crops of wild rice and other things dependent on the fields to break the Immaculate's calendar and give prayer to O-Mochi of the Wild Rice. Your prayers will strengthen him and therefore the crops."

Rising Echo gives a subtle grin to the crowd. "If the taxes take everything now, but the crops grow by a half, you will be able to keep that half. And I will lower the taxes on the current crops as well, allowing you to recoup your food for this crop as well."

Rising Echo stops talking for a moment, looking into the eyes of most of the crowd. "Does anyone have a problem with this? An extra heartfelt prayer a day to the God of Wild Rice, in return for your crops to be more abundant?"

Spoiler
    Show

Rising Echo activates Mastery of Small Manners before giving the speech, for a +1 to Appearance, total of 3.

Alright, here goes. Charisma+Performance: (8d10)[8][5][5][2][6][7][1][4](38)

Don't be stupid.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr rubbed the back of his hand with one massive hand, his bronzed cheeks coloring slightly. What I mean is... that is... I know, or rather I assume you're older than you look, but... well, you do look like a child. I feel the pull towards you no less for that, but... I think you understand. he finished with an embarrassment that the warrior had seldom shown before. He was almost grateful for the repeated mantra, for it seemed a good excuse for him to shut his mouth. He got comfortable, slowly seating himself and beginning to meditate, centering himself and relaxing from the eventful day.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko smiles as Echo addresses the crowd of the drunken and miserable, perhaps this is what may bring hope into their lives of bleakness, returning the Sun back into their hearts. She still held her daughter close and undid the small rope knot that held her cloak on and let it drop around her, revealing a suit of golden armor that still did not let her beauty be ignored, in both face and body.
    "My comrade speaks the truth, friends! If you might stand and pay tribute to this God, you are certain to find his love and companionship, where rice may grow like bamboo! All year round, even! Stand forth, good people and call out so your rice will grow greater than your future!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Acting as something of a social back-up.
    Charisma+Performance (9d10)[5][8][4][2][3][1][10][5][10](48)
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo and Yomiko

Your words stir the hearts of the mildly drunken mass, eloquence and beauty winning them over. One man, his age masked by the wrinkling and callousing of a lifetime's labor, speaks up, raising his shaggy head up from his drink. "You'll stop the drought, you say? If any of the little gods can manage that, then let them be worshiped! Anything but another barren hell like that one."

Throughout the bar, others raise up such sentiments, as if they were a viscous pus suppurating from old, still-aching wounds. One man lost his children, another his wife; such sorrows are unknown by no man here. And here and there, in furtive whispers, the farmers mutter oaths at how the mayor–that imbecilic wastrel!–seized the reigns of the city during that time of tumult, uncontested only because of the crisis.

One man stands, and then another, and then another. As if Echo and Yomiko's words were a crucible, they are changed–whatever the matter of their being once was, it is now forged into iron.

"I will worship O-Mochi."

"And I!"

"Quick, a barrel of the sake for libations!"

"Right! This bar will be his first temple!"

Entirely out of your control, the farmers heft up a weighty cask of rice-wine, as the bartender unlimbers racks of old, cracked glasses to pour it out into. Moving with vigor unseemly for their age, they fill the glasses with harsh, unwatered sake, and hold it aloft. They pray in desperation, the suppliance of those utterly abandoned to the mercy of the spirits. And then, in one spirit, they pour their libations out onto the bare earth of the inn's floor, worship spilled out before O-Mochi.

Ivory Eyes and Zephyr

After hours of chanted invocations and awkward glances, Ivory Eyes' spell reaches its climax. There is a blaze of emerald essence, a swirling corona that unlimbers tendrils of raw green that touch everything wooden in the kitchen, limning them with a boreal light. With a heavy percussive whump, like the sound of an oak growing from seed to towering tree in but a few seconds, an elemental coalesces in the center of the kitchen.

As the green aura recedes into the elemental's form, its shape becomes obvious...and almost adorable. It stands scarcely three feet high, with a body like a child's doll woven out of sticks and branches. Its eyes are inhumanly wide and a brilliant green, like those of some tremendous kitten. But despite its unthreatening appearance, Ivory Eyes remains tensed and at her guard. She splays her hands wide, imposing her will on her conjured elemental. There is no need for brute force of mind; with a gentle tickle of the spirit's psyche she snares it, binding its loyalty to her. The stick person bows low, the orange berries growing from its boughs rustling as it does. In a high tenor voice, it excited exclaims, "My lady, I am yours to command!"

28. - Top - End - #118

Ivory Eyes takes the stickman by the hand, leading him--and Zephyr--into the kitchen before pointing out a rather large and ornate heart at the far side of the room. As she helps the elemental up, she turns to the Lunar.

"I had a run in with the Peaches of Immortality as a child. I've only started aging again since I've Exalted, and even that seems...well, not quite everything I'd hoped. Still, I'm over thirty, Zephyr," she says, resuming their conversation as if she hadn't just spent the past four hours chanting in the language of Primordials.

"If you'd like to stay, there's another bedroom to the right of mine. You at least deserve a good night's rest before tomorrow--something tells me it shall be an interesting day," she says, giving the elemental one last boost to set it in the empty hearth. "Well, boys. I'm going to bed," she says and saunters back up to her own room, leaving the elemental smiling emptily towards Zephyr.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

The stickman hops happily into the hearth-core of Bronzeheart, merrily closing the grated door behind itself. Rather than igniting, as any normal furnace would, it explodes in a flurry of growth, sending out roots that coil around the elemental. The wood spirit accepts its yolk without care, motes of raw elemental essence flowing from it into Ivory Eyes' amazing magikitchen. The hearth seems to crackle with a verdant green flame as the mecha sheds excess motes, though without harm to the stickman.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo steps back as the farmers being their feverish prayers to O-Mochi. How desperate they must be, to accept the words of two, even us.

He looks at Yomiko and Konoko, nodding. "We should continue on, to the rest of the taverns. If we can get enough people converted tonight, worship will spread itself with the promises that are created."

Rising Echo then turns back to the crowd, their prayers ringing in the rafters and spilling upon the dirt. "We must continue on. Your prayers strengthen O-Mochi and the small gods, but all of Lotus needs to add their prayers in for miracles even beyond the removal of the droughts. I would ask that you tell the others that rely on the lands to voice their own prayers to the God of Wild Rice, and others that he leads to strengthen Lotus."

Bowing to the people, Rising Echo leaves the inn, heading towards the next. Between himself and Yomiko, the same general speech would suffice for each. Tailored slightly for whether or not there were any who had been in the mob were there, but he could almost taste the beginnings of a religion that would be almost impossible to unroot once O-Mochi proved his side of the bargain as to be good for the city.

Spoiler
    Show

Activating Mastery of Small Manners each time, and as TD1 stated, there are 5 more inns.

If any of these flub or botch (which I'm expecting at least one to do so), Yomiko I hope is there to fix my FUBARs.

The issues with going between myth-weavers and gitp, is myth-weavers has a lot better dice.

Corrected rolls.

(8d10)[2][8][1][6][3][9][9][9](47)
    (8d10)[2][4][4][10][10][10][3][10](53)
    (8d10)[4][5][1][6][9][5][9][3](42)
    (8d10)[4][9][10][2][6][5][6][7](49)
    (8d10)[3][6][2][5][5][1][4][6](32)
    Last edited by Lochar; 2009-04-10 at 08:00 PM.

Don't be stupid.