New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: God-Kings of Lotus

Watcher

"I have news." the masked man says as he steps out of the shadows, after Rising Echo and Yomiko leave the third inn. "There is definitely a Dragon-Blooded here. Who ever he is, he does not want to be discovered. His footsteps are burnt into the rooftops, and they lead straight to the palace."

"I found a corpse near where the trail ends. It looks like she was some lowly official that saw our terrestrial."
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo shakes his head. "If you're trying to hide from people, you wouldn't normally burn holes in the roofs. However, killing people is not what we want happening. Were you able to track down wher ein the palace the dragon blood went, Watcher?"
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Watcher

""Unfortunatly, no." he says, sounding slightly annoyed at that fact. "The trail ends near the corpse; and tracking people is not a skill I have. But perhaps when you go to see the Regent, you can ask around if a young woman has not shown up for work. It might give us a few answers."
    Last edited by Ellas Aramond; 2009-04-10 at 09:33 PM.
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

"I will do so. More and more, I'm suspecting the the mayor here isn't the real power, or even close to it. I'm almost thinking he is just a fall man, in case of a revolution." Rising Echo shakes his head. "Care to join us? We've got a few more inns to convert to O-Moshi's presence before the night is over."
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr stared after Ivory Eyes for a moment, then sighed, massaging his temples. Women he thought. For all that he liked them, he didn't know that he would ever understand him. He felt fairly sure that he had buried his foot in his mouth. Still... they would have a great deal of time to work such things out. Assuming they survived.

He slipped into the bedroom, slowly sliding onto the bed. It felt strange, both to be indoors and to lay on something so soft. For years, he'd gotten used to hard ground and hard floors... still, he could not deny that he enjoyed the smooth feel of the fabric against his skin. He sighed again, this time in contentment. He agreed with Ivory Eyes. Tommorrow was going to be a long one.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

At the last tavern, Yomiko actually speaks up like the did at the first noticing Rising Echo's less-than-whelming speech to the bar patrons. She gives almost the same speech she gave in the first tavern and spices it with bits of Echo's speech, including the worship of the God of Rice by drinking sake.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma+Perform: (9d10)[4][4][2][5][10][8][10][9][4](56)

She turns to her daughter after a small pause, whom she is still keeping close to her, "Remember Kono, you still can't drink until you're older." and smiles.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Echo, Yomiko, and Watcher find that everywhere they go, the people are ready, if not overjoyed, to accept the worship of O-Mochi. That last bar proves near riotous, as Echo's words inflame a cadre of devout Immaculates to violence, but Yomiko swiftly rallies the rest of the bar's patrons to her. The Immaculates find themselves thrown out into the streets, while the rest pour out libations to O-Mochi. In one night, a few hundred men have given worship to the Rice God, an outpouring of prayer that will surely not go unnoticed.

As night falls deeper, the three depart for their separate lodgings, bedding down for the night. There sleep is easy and untroubled, as is that of Ivory Eyes (but for Zephyr, the night's dreaming is somewhat less serene). In the fullness of time, night descends, and the face of Sol Invictus once more warms Creation with its rays of golden perfection.

Before the break of dawn, the people of Lotus (or at least, the most unfortunate among them) are out at work in the fields and paddies, gathering wheat and wild rice, more than a few of them offering up prayers to their newfound patron. The merchants have more time to sleep, setting up their stalls only after the sun's light has warmed the earth and banished the cold of night. The landowners have little to do but laze in bed, only stirring if the day offers some fresh entertainment for them.

But for you five, it is the zenith of the sun's course that calls you to act. As it reaches high noon, the five of you assemble on the steps of the mayoral palace, ready to plan whatever comes next. O-Mochi is nowhere to be seen, but the wild rice that grows up between the cobblestones of the road are an unmistakable symbol–all has gone well for him. What comes next rests on your shoulders.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Once again with his cloak wrapped about his shoulders, Zephyr arrived with Ivory eyes, smiling broadly at all assembled. "Good day, my friends. I trust we are all prepared? If everything is in readiness, perhaps Rising Echo can lead us in the proper method of approaching the Regent"

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo nods. "It should not be too difficult to gain access to him, and through him the other."

Rising Echo leads the group into the governmental building to the same Resplendent Secretary from before. "I have need to see the Mayor again. I have brought a few people to begin staffing my department, but he said he wound find room today. He is not busy, correct?"

Don't be stupid.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

The glorified secretary follows Echo's every word with rapt attention, his response practically oozing obeisance. "Of course not, you know where his office is. I'm sure he'll be very pleased to see the Ministry of Trade grow; he was quite impressed by your work yesterday at the markets. I believe there are multiple forms to have your pay raised in the Imperial Docket of Matters to be Attended to Later. A glorious day for the bureaucrats of Lotus!"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Go check the OOC thread for XP awards!
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-04-12 at 01:07 AM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo nods. "I see." he says neutrally. He'd not seen his base salary, and he doubted the mayor would actually do anything about it anyways.

But they had a more pressing matter to take care of, so he didn't voice any of these thoughts.

Leading his companions through the building to the mayor's office, he shook his head once more at the carved scenes of battle. "Do not be surprised at the luxury he sits in. He does seem to be the pawn of the Watcher tracked, so it would make sense."

Opening the door into the scarlet and redwood room, Rising Echo shakes his head internally. To those who know of the Dragon-Blood, this almost screams his involvement.

"Mayor, I have brought some companions, and we wish to speak with you about trade and other such things." Rising Echo announces himself as he walks in, not bothering to bow.

Don't be stupid.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr strode proudly through the palace, his head held high. the decadence of this place reminded him of Gem, a memory that brought a bitter taste to his mouth. He remembered the smell of blood and sand, the soft, fat faces of noblemen and women who could not even lift a sword or throw a punch, leering at him as he fought and killed for their amusement. He forced himself to smile in the most nonthreatening manner he could manage, which, given his fierce, proud countenance, was still intimidating. When he saw the quivering little grub of a mayor, he had the urge to chuck him out through the nearest wall. He bet the little pig would bounce. He grinned all the wider as he thought of bouncing the drug-addled buffoon through the streets of Lotus.

Though he knew little enough of the dragon-blooded, the constant red-theme spoke to Zephyr of flame, which, in turn, reminded him of the girl's words. Mmm. He almost hoped that the Dynast would show himself. After last-night's dream, he was itching for a fight. He did not like to think of himself as being small or weak, and he burned to prove his prowess. Let the Dragons come! He was a Chosen of Luna! He was Zephyr Scales-of-War! He would tear his enemies down, he would break them and grind them to dust and cast them into the wind!...

Slowly, though, he once more forced himself to calm. He remembered the words of the dream. Yes, he would fight. But he'd have to learn how to... how was it she had put it? Ah, yes... He almost laughed with the memory, and the sound of her voice. Well, her council had never steered him wrong, and he would have to trust her methods as he had always done. For now, he would play the subtle game.

He let Rising Echo talk for the moment. After all, it was doubtless bad manners to speak before one was introduced.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

The mayor sits like a ragged scarecrow on his plush throne, his entire frame seeming devoid of animation. His head lolls from side to side, as if his neck lacked the strength to hold it aloft, and he clutches something in a thin-fingered hand. On closer examination, it seems to be a sheet of paper–Rising Echo's letter, its beauteous calligraphy still entrancing him. But his new Minister of Trade's entrance proves sufficient to pull his attention away from the letter, and he looks down on you with pleased amusement.

"Ah, Flying Seagull! I was quite pleased by your...the thing...with the people..." He stands up, like a mannequin being posed, and slinks to his heap of documents, pulling forth a browned sheet from near the middle. "The riot. Very well dealt with, Minister. Now, what was it you wished to say?"

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo sighed internally. This was going to be fairly quick, one way or another.

"I won't bother introducing my companions, as you probably don't care. Instead, I will ask you for the location of the man that glows with a red aura. We have business with him."

Rising Echo grins. "Matters of trade, you understand?" It wasn't actually a lie. The Dragon-Blooded had killed someone, so they were just going to even the imbalance. "Once we speak with him, I think we can let you go about with your vices. We're going to make Lotus into a new, powerful city. And I think that we can find enough extra to keep you well supplied, so long as you work with us.

As he is speaking, Rising Echo's caste mark flares into life in the room, light hidden behind the Eclipse mark spilling across the banners and Rising Echo himself, a cascade of colors melding together to form the white light that marked one of the Sun's Chosen.

Spoiler
    Show

Activating Mastery of Small Manners for 1 personal mote.

Manipulation+Presence: (9d10)[2][3][4][1][3][4][7][10][10](44)

Spending a personal mote to activate his anima banner to the 4-7 level.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2009-04-12 at 09:16 AM.

Don't be stupid.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

"Anathema." gasps the mayor, a feeble meep. He prostrates himself on the ground before you. His limbs splay haphazardly, as when a cupboard is opened, letting fall all the sundry brooms and mops within it. He begins pleading desperately, his obeisance almost childish. "Oh, please do not kill me! I've never seen such a man, please, let me go! Take my jade, my herbs, anything you want!" He seems to have completely missed the point of Rising Echo's demand, his will consumed wholly with fear.

"...and women, or children! Anything, if only you'll let me live! I have been good, I have served my city with virtue...surely I cannot deserve death? O, Deceiver, do you not remember my generosity? How I took you in, a stranger, and made you head my...something or other? I trusted you with something very important, whatever it was! Remember? Oh, do not kill me!"

With the way the mayor quivers and shakes in fear, it is the mercy of the Unconquered Sun himself that he hasn't soiled himself. Even as he speaks to Rising Echo, his eyes remain fixed to the floor, his valor insufficient to meet eyes with the Anathema. He lacks even the presence of mind to call for his guards (though even if he did, would they come to the defense of such a wastrel?). Like a child, he is completely at your mercy.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko hears the pathetic man's words, and the details of his pitiful whining strike her in a way that tells her he is indeed not the good man he claims to have been. She suddenly pulls her brown cloak off with a flourish and throws it aside, taken as if by an impossible wind to the wall of the grand room and takes the large item wrapped in cloth and leather from her back to suddenly remove said wrapping from it. With the wrapping gone she reveals two bright, shining orichalcum daiklaves, taking one hilt in each hand she spears them into the ground at either side of the man grovelling. "You would offer us bribes?! Of women and children, even! A man like you deserves no power, a man like you deserves no compassion!" She pauses for just a moment glaring at him, but soon regains composure, albeit not all the lost. "My friend asked for information, and I expect all you've got, including logs and records of business associated and all sightings of ...what have you!"

Spoiler
    Show
    More backup!
    Manip+Presence: (6d10)[2][5][3][10][8][10](38)

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

As if he were dealing with bears, and not Anathema, the mayor recoils more at the female's wrath than any of her male companions. He struggles to escape from between her twin daiklaves, but finds that she has driven them straight through the excessively floppy sleeves of his mayoral robes. He looks up to her, his eyes watery with fear and pleading. "I do not know any man who shines with light, save for him!" he whines, flicking his eyes to indicate Rising Echo.

"Go through my papers, unseal the records, anything! Take any that please you, just do not take my life!"

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo sighs. "We do not want your life, we want your cooperation. Let's try a different question, mayor. I cannot see how you stay in power unopposed without someone else backing you up. Who is that?"

Spoiler
    Show

Is this strictly necessary anymore? Manip+Presence: (9d10)[9][4][9][3][7][3][1][2][5](43)

Don't be stupid.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr snorted The buffoon is too drug-addled to remember anything, he is lying to us, or else the one we seek has not visited him directly. The Full Moon sneered with disgust at the piteous, worming creature. The stench of unwashed flesh and burnt vegetable matter clung to him in a disgusting fug that irritated Zephyr's keen senses, and made him want to throw the little bastard in the nearest pond just to help clean the stink off, though doubtless the local water spirits would object to the pollution.

Mmm... someone should take him at his word and look at his records, see if anything in there has a clue. I've no head for paperwork, though, else I'd do it myself. And if that doesn't work... perhaps our incandescent friend has been working with someone more... competent. I can hardly see this pitiable wretch being useful even as a puppet.

He opened his mouth to question the mayor, but shut it again, figuring that another question would probably overwhelm the few brain cells that still worked.
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2009-04-12 at 12:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Finally, a look of dim recognition crosses the Mayor's face. Were he not already overbrimming with fear and desperation, one might discern the slightest glint of shame in the waters of his soul. "Oh...you mean Captain Transval, then. He...he keeps the guardsmen in line, makes sure things are all...all in order, he says. Keeps out the crime, dissent–he's a good man! He just...makes suggestions, now and then. He always gives good advice, very good advice–he's the man who told me I should be mayor, after all! Why do you want to know who he is?"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded, smiling. Ah, now we are getting somewhere. Where might we find this Captain Transval? We wish to speak with him regarding his stewardship of the city and ask him concerning certain nocturnal visitors we've noticed. He smiled wider. He did hope the Captain would be... reasonable.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

The mayor grimaces at Zephyr's request–but a man in his predicament cannot refuse such commands. "The Captain...there is a chamber beneath this one, in the basement. The doors are hidden, locked–but he will be there. He never leaves, just sends out his messengers, men from the Satrap. He...he won't want to speak with you. You really should just leave. Please!" His fear of the captain seems even greater than his fear of Yomiko; an impressive feat of presence on the captain's part considering the proximity of Yomiko's swords to the mayor's flesh.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo sighs once more, shaking his head. "You don't have anything to be worried about anymore, mayor. We'll go take care of him, and regardless of whether or not you stay as mayor, we'll make sure you're well taken care of. Herbs included."

Rising Echo smiles at him. "You do not have to unlock the doors for us, just show them to us, and we can handle the rest. If we are beaten for some reason, you can deny that we ever were told anything by you."

Spoiler
    Show

And now, trying to calm him down a bit and get some info. Charisma+Presence: (9d10)[9][4][6][1][2][6][3][10][1](42)

Don't be stupid.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

While the mayor still seems frightened, like a beaten dog, but the promise of being left unharmed (and supplied with herbs) seems be of some solace to him. He rises as far as his pinned-down sleeves will allow him to, and seems to sit in more thought than has ever crossed his mind. After a few moments, he speaks. "Very well then...there is a door, hidden behind a tapestry of Her Majesty, at the end of this hall. It leads to a stairway; that will take you to the basement." He sounds almost relieved, as if Echo has lifted some greater burden than his fear from him.

"He will have some men outside his chamber; take this seal and show it to them." The mayor is able to extricate one arm from his too-wide sleeves, leaving the robes dangling uselessly. He reaches into an inside pocket, and produces a seal of magnificently carved green jade. "They will not disturb you...but still, entering the chamber would be impossible. Transval has not even allowed me in; the last time I saw him was during the drought. You would have to force the doors from their hinges...oh, gods...just to get in. Of course, you are Anathema...but even then. Be careful." A strange emotion shimmers in his eyes, something approaching gratitude.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

The Invincible Maiden grabs the swords out of the ground and gives them a quick spin in both hands before gripping them both tight. She held her head up high and wore a smile on her face, not a triumphant one, or one hungry for battle, but a warm one like a mother would wear. A rune on either sword flares a bit like the light of the sun, essence pouring into the both of them. She then turns to the rest of the group and speaks with a sterner tone than she ever has, the last minute excluded, "I will say it now, for I am a mother first. Keep Konoko safe above all else..." She still smiles, "Let's go, gentlemen."

Spoiler
    Show
    Burning 5 essence and 1 Willpower on Sundog Stance.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo nods. "I wish we had a better place for her, but since not..." He smiles slightly at Konoko. "You hide behind us, understand, Konoko?"

Don't be stupid.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Ivory Eyes feels entirely out of her element, more at home in the kitchen or the forge than in such a well-appointed office. She looks about, slowly, as Rising Echo and the others make their threats.

"Do Dragon Bloods have sufficient magic to cow a man so completely?" she asks as Zephyr walks toward the Tapestry. "Solar animas can bear red. Not all castes, but some. And there are spells. There are ways," she says, not bothering to hide the skepticism in her tone. She turns to the mayor before leaving.

"This stairway...is it large enough for, say, a simhata? Or is it too confined?" she asks, gesturing with her hands to suggest the height and girth of a lion-horse.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

"I don't see that any other anima would leave burn marks in the roofs of the town though, Ivory." Rising Echo says. "And there are a number of people in the world that can be cowed with sufficient threats of violence. Especially one that only wishes to lead a life of smoking those herbs you smell on him."

Don't be stupid.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Konoko nods her head, no rebellion in her now. "Yes sir, Mister Echo. Mommy's already taught me all about keeping out of the way when she's 'dispensing compassionate justice to the evils that prey upon Creation,'" her voice mimicking her mother's perfectly as she quotes. "I'll just keep out of sight."

The mayor responds quickly to Ivory Eyes, as if a dog well-conditioned to obey. "It could fit two men abreast, or one large man, if pressed together. You could never fit a lion-horse down them, even if you had one. Also, I don't think it could go down the stairs very well. Hooves, you know." he cautions, completely missing the point.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo nods to the mayor. "Thank you, mayor."

Echo then motions to the door. "Shall we go to this tapestry and find our master guardsman?"
    Last edited by Lochar; 2009-04-12 at 03:34 PM.

Don't be stupid.