New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: God-Kings of Lotus

Ivory Eyes

"I'm fine. I'll be fine, just give me a moment," she says, eyes red and dry. She stands slowly, catching herself on the wall for balance before turning to the sobeksis. "I had hoped that you, noble spirit, would consent to a fortnight's stay. Healing the sick, teaching those you can the rudiments of medicine. I don't know how much of their prayer you could garner, but whatever you can win by good acts alone in that time is yours to keep," she says, wiping her face.

"Are we going to move the Captain?" she asks, moving back into the chamber. "Or leave him hear unguarded?"

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo looks at the Captain before Ivory. "You're the only one with anything resembling medical experience, Ivory." He smiles wanly. "Is it safe to move him? If so, I suggest at least putting him in a bed or something. I will stay with him until he awakens."
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko looks a bit strained by the whole scenario, then walks back over to her daughter and swords, hefting both swords onto her back and picking her daughter up to rest on her shoulders. "If you're alright with the idea, Rising Echo, I would like to stay with him too. I wanted to apologize and... ask him questions."
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded once at Ivory Eyes, patting her on the shoulder, then turning back to the rest of the group.

I would be honored to lead the guard. Hopefully, as my compatriot says, the current Captain will choose to stay on with us. But either way, I think I have much to offer the city of Lotus. If our plans go well, we will have both more men and a need to use them. We've a great deal of work to do. His eyes gleamed, and he smiled Just what I've been waiting for.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

"That's fine by me. I'd rather have an extra set of hands here anyways." Rising Echo says.

He looks at the guards. "Could I ask one of you to go report to the mayor? Tell him... tell him that we're in the middle of negotiations with the Captain."
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

6. - Top - End - #216

Ivory Eyes turns and looks back to the thin staircase, shaking her head.

"He can be moved, but it's better to make him comfortable here. He's your foremost charge as well, noble spirit," she says to the sobeksis, repaying his earlier flattery with as much charm as she can muster...which isn't much, given circumstances. She runs her hands back over her hair and takes it out of its plait with one quick motion. A veil of long black showers down her back, slides across her face. She tucks a tuft behind her ears and takes a deep breath.

"If Zephyr's role in our...what, plan? Order? Whatever we may be said to be doing to or for Lotus, I think it's more than time to figure out where the rest of us fit in, Minister," she says to Echo. "We can do so much more if they know us to be what we are, but the farce does keep Lotus safe from the Hunt. So what will it be, then?"

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo does some math in his head. "I've been the Minister of Trade for all of, oh, thirty six hours. I hadn't expected for something such as this to happen this quickly. I would have preferred for everything to stay running fairly calmly for at least a little while, until Lotus was strong enough to ignore the first forays from the satrap when we quit paying them their dues."

He pauses, getting one of the others to help him move the Captain to a more comfortable place. Most likely a bed for such that is in his room here. "As for you all, I can see Zephyr working with the Captain here. I was going to build up the city itself until I could replace the mayor. With all of us though, I think we should instead eventually hold it with a group's effort, with each of us tending to one section, and then deciding between us all for the direction the city goes in. I do not know what the rest of you are best at, but I have no doubt that we all excel though. Ivory, I know your sorceries are powerful, although I do not know to what extent they reach. Yomiko, you are warrior and personage extreme." He smiles at that.

He nods to the guards. "You all will end up with positions of importance, most likely. You've shown you have courage and willingness to follow. I do not want to stop that."

He then sighs. "As for where we truly go from here? I think it must be we grow Lotus without taking it's reigns until the people here will not suffer a backlash from the Wyld Hunt, because they will come for us when they find out we are here."

Don't be stupid.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded in agreement. I'm no good when it comes to matters such as trade and commerce, but I damn sure know how to fight, and I know also how to lead men. I can see myself helping to build Lotus a strong military, and a good force of fighting men. I might also see if I can rally some of the Silver Pact to us - though I am young and have little sway, there are others, elders fare more potent than I, who might come to our aid.

He hesitated But... I would hesitate to call on such august personages. They would more than likely seek to use us for their own ends, and those might not coincide with our own interests. Besides, as I said, I am young, and have little in the way of pull. So I will see about training the men of Lotus, getting them into good fighting shape. We shall also doubtless need other things - perhaps Ivory can seek to find sorceries or wonders of the first age that might aid us. No matter how stealthy we are, we must face armed conflict sometime, and the sooner we prepare, the better.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

At Ivory Eyes' behest, the crocodile-god kneels down to tend to Captain Transval's wounds as best it can, probing his gashes and cuts with claws as tender as any nurse's touch. It works its way up his torso, doing what it can to clean his wounds. Crocodile tears of pure elemental water fall from the Sobeksis's eyes, sizzling gently as they strike flesh and burn away all trace of blood or infection. However, as the water-spirit draws level with the Dragonblooded's face, it recoils in surprise. Almost seeming panicked, it turns to its summoner. "Mistress! This man–he is a monster! He threatened the rain-spirits, even slew poor Izu-kun to prove his point, all for no reason. My river nearly dried up in the drought that caused, and I could do nothing to help the suppliants who came to me–imagine how my worship dried up then! Must I truly help this deicidal madman?"

Duo hastens to report to the mayor, more than a little frightened by the Sobeksis's outburst. The spirit had proven gentle enough, and had healed his wounds–but still, those teeth. He quickly makes his way up the stairs, and is astonished to find that the mayor is not sitting on his familiar throne of pillows. Instead, the reedy potentate paces back and forth, more nervous than any herb could ever make him. He practically pounces on Duo as the guard enters, clinging to him like a marid. "What happened? The Captain? Did he k–" He breaks off, too distraught to continue coherently.

Duo gathers himself, and relates what has happened. "Your Minister of Trade and his companions...presented several terms of negotiation to....had a disagreement with...Scarlet Bitch, one of them picked up Lieutenant Un and clubbed me with him! And the other was dancing on the Captain's sword, she was a madwoman! They're Anathema, the lot of them! Mad and glorious!" The mayor can only nod along, not sure what this means for him and his city.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-04-16 at 09:15 PM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo looks sharply at the crocodile elemental. "He will pay off that debt, Sobeksis. And we have made a deal with O-Mochi to garner the strength all the small gods to ensure that such a thing does not happen again. We will have warning if someone does such a thing again, and we will not stand for it. You are welcome to join with O-Mochi. There will be no calendar worship for those that join, and we will protect you from the backlash if the Immaculate come."

Rising Echo scowls at the unconscious form of Transval, mentally racking up even higher the due the man owes to Lotus and the surroundings in his mad attempt to not be found.

"You've healed him enough, I think. Let him finish healing the rest of the way himself."

Don't be stupid.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Luna's blood! he barked " Why would he be out killing gods? Well, we can ask him himself when he wakes up, providing he proves willing to give answers. We need to work out what we're going to tell the people, though. On one hand, we can't keep this thing a secret forever, and honesty is probably best... on the other hand, once this gets out, the Immaculate will be down on our head in no time flat.

Mmm... well, I suppose we can just pass ourselves off as mortals... though Ivory Eyes will have to keep to the background, else her seeming age arouse suspicion. How I present myself will have to depend on whether or not the Captain shows up. I think that Watcher can also keep to the shadows, since that seems to be his most comfortable. Yomiko... mmm, well, do you have a particular position you'd like to take?
    "
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2009-04-16 at 09:32 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo walks over to the Dragon Blood, and making sure he doesn't move any still open wounds, shakes the man. "Captain, we have discussions to finish. Wake up."

Don't be stupid.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

The Captain stirs under Echo's touch, dim consciousness slowly seeping back into his frame. His eyes weakly open, staring up at Rising Echo, and the rest of the circle. He moves to stand up, but his flesh fails him, muscle and bone too wounded and wearied even to stand. And so he sags back down, resigned to his fate. "I suppose we do." he says, his voice no longer angry. "What is it that you could want, Anathema? If it is to give me a chance to make my last words before I am executed, then thank you, but I have nothing particularly profound to say. If you are not prepared to grant me that mercy...well, what can you do that I can resist? Don't mock me, and pretend we speak as equals. I know defeat well–I lie helpless at your feet. At least give me what little dignity there is in that."
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr looked down at the man, rolling his eyes. Stop being so damn dramatic, man. You were fought well, and you were beaten by five Exalted to your one. Tactfully, he thought, he neglected to mention the superior nature of their exaltation. And we've no interest in killing you. As I said before you drew your blade, we want you to help us. We want you to help us. You obviously have enemies in the Empire- together, we can gather enough strength to defeat them. In exchange for this freedom, we can make it so you don't have to hide. You can walk free without fear, you can be a warrior. Think of the glory we can win together! There is a war coming, one way or another - without the Empress, the Realm is going to crumble until someone strong enough to lead it rises. Can you name any among the Dragon-Blooded who can rule as she did? She was a tyrant, but at least she was an efficient one. Look what's happening now! Look what's become of the realm! And here you sit, keeping Lotus in poverty as a cloak to keep yourself hidden.

Cast off that cloak, Captain. You can be so much more, so much better. Help us, and we can help you, Lotus, the entire damn Realm, to be so much better!

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma + Presence + 2 Bought Successes (4m) (7d10)[41]

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo nods. "You are right, you are defeated. However, that does not mean we cannot be gracious in our victory. You fought well, even I think you fought for the wrong reasons."

Rising Echo sweeps a hand out over the place. "You are their Captain, and they said that they wished to keep you as their Captain, even if we took over. They all know and trust you."

"You have done many things in your quest to not be found. By House Cathak, the Legion. Or even whoever this Nari is. I do not care where you have come from, or for what reason. My only concerns are our efforts here. As I told you before hand, Lotus will become a major city, and I fully expect that as we are deemed Anathema, the Hunt will come for us eventually."

He gives a grin. "However, Lotus will be big enough and powerful enough to shrug off incursions, with us standing at it's head. Now, for myself, I'm going to make you an offer. You have done many things to Lotus and the people here that has made it stay tiny, as you thought to hide best where no one would notice the city. Obviously, we did anyways, and someone else would have as well. Instead, I wish for you to help us grow Lotus into the city it can truly become. There will be no killing of the spirits." He points to the Sobeksis. "In fact, we've begun to work with the local spirits, to strengthen the cities farmlands. Crops will begin flourishing as they should have been had you not unbalanced the local spirit courts with the dead of Izu, and the rain-spirits being threatened."

Rising Echo looks to the others. "Trade will flow through the city, and we will need someone to guide those who will protect the city. You are known to the guards already, and I would have you work with Zephyr," Rising Echo points to the man, whether he is in his beastform or not. "to build a true guard. One that enforces just laws on the populace, and doesn't strip them of all their worldly goods. You do not have to be seen to do this. Zephyr can be the face of the guard, while you can be one of the hands that guides it."

"And as I told you before, if Lotus is attacked, it will be because they are searching for the Anathema. Not a renegade Dragon Blood. I'm making you an offer, Transval. You work with us to build Lotus and repay the debts you owe for numerous problems you've caused. We will allow you to stay out of the limelight of the city, staying hidden as you so want. Do you agree?"

Rising Echo's caste mark begins flaring once more, as he offers his hand to Transval.

Spoiler
    Show

Mastery of Small Manners activated, and offering an oath.

(9d10)[5][8][1][4][5][7][2][3][7](42)

Don't be stupid.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Transval gives Zephyr's words due consideration before responding. "True–no man could hold his own against five Anathema, no matter how strong the dragon's blood flows in him. Against the many, what can one do? That is why I hide in Lotus, why I have hobbled it and kept it low. I do not have enemies in the Empire; the Empire itself is my enemy, and not even you could smite down an army of ten thousand dragons. Let the Realm crumble, let it fall into ruin–because if it were to ever find me again, I would be dead. My crime was neither unjust nor wicked, but for my defiance I have been excoriated, branded outcaste. If you make Lotus a metropolis, a utopia, then the Realm will take notice; do not think their eyes are blind to the works of the Lawgivers. Soon you will call the Wyld Hunt down upon your heads, and they would hunt me as they would any other Anathema. I would much prefer clean execution at your hands than the thousand-handed torturers their sorcerers would summon to welcome me back." The Dragonblooded sighs dejectedly, shivering at the prospect of so foul a fate.

"If I could fight them alongside you, I would–but all your god-like strength would fall to naught. You bested me with ease, but how long do you think you can fight before you fall? The Realm will hurl legion after legion at you, like some giant flinging mountains at his foes. They will kill you all, even the children, and they will make legendary my suffering. I truly wish that I could stand with you; but such is not the way of the world."

But there is something in Rising Echo's argument that Transval cannot refuse, some seed of truth well-suited to even the stony soils of his will. "You seem so sure of your defiance. To have such pride, such surety...like Lucius. But I tell you this; without a hand upon the helm, this city will know none of your blessings. The guard keep safe the city's heart, its land–without them, upstart farmers would defy their masters with sword and torch, or else corrupt landmongers would oppress their serfs. These men are the only mote of law within these walls...for now. And I would stay their Captain, keep their law. You make an offer, Minister? To keep me safe, if I will serve with you?" He reaches out, taking Echo's hand. "I accept your bargain. So be it."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr grinned wider and nodded in approval Good! Then the matter is settled, and we are comrades. It is well. I'm sure we will need all the help that we can get. The days ahead will be hard. But it will all be worth it...

Zephyr grinned. Privately, he relished the coming conflict. Strength, after all, was gained by adversity. The stronger the foes they faced, the stronger they would become. They would triumph. They had to, for there was no other option. Now... I'm sure you want to get some rest, eh? Tommorrow, we will need to begin planning for the training of the guard, and likely, their expansion...

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

The dour Captain looks over at Ivory Eyes. "Child. How long till I will be able to walk again? If it is not within mere days, I will need some way to move. You seem a doctor skilled beyond your years–what can you do for this? I can hardly direct the guard from a bed, even if this man will lead it openly."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

She walks over and kneels down for a moment in silence, looking into his eyes. She then finally rests a hand on his shoulder and speaks up, "I can carry you... as far as you may need to go until we can find you a bed or wheeled chair." Yomiko stands up and takes her daughter off her shoulders, smiles at her little girl and then looks back at the Terrestrial, "But I want to ask you... You said I'd been your undoing before... Why did you say that?"

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr blinked at Yomiko's question. He had barely heard the man's condemnation in the midst of the battle, but he had assumed it to mean women in general, rather than Yomiko herself specifically. The idea that they'd known each other before was an odd one. Still, it was probably not his business. He looked over at Ivory Eyes. Do you mind if I stay with you again tonight? I think I shall find quarters in the city once my new position is announced, but for now, I'd rather not be seen out and about. Heh... well, any more than I already have. Besides, I think it might make my reputation more impressive, the less people see of me.

21. - Top - End - #231

Ivory Eyes nods, smiles up at Zephyr.

"I'd be glad to have the company...that last spell still has me a little weak. I'll just be happy to crawl in bed tonight,"
    she says at last. "And then tomorrow we can sort out the loose ends--how we're all to fit into this greater unfolding Lotus?" she asks, turning to Echo.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

"We'll work out those details very quickly, Ivory." Rising Echo smiles at her. "I hadn't expected to have allies in this, and my plans will have to change to encompass you all."

Don't be stupid.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded appreciatively to Ivory eyes, understanding. Though he'd not been wounded, the massive expenditure of Essence had left him spiritually drained and he, too, was near ready to collapse into bed and get a good night's sleep. We will all find our places soon enough, I am sure... we have many plans to make on the morrow. Best we all get some sleep. He said, heading for the door.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

As others plot and plan the city's future, the Captain turns to speak with Yomiko. "Not you, maiden, but your sex. I fled to Lotus because of two women: Cathak Alyssa, my wife; and Ragara Nari, who was once my closest comrade. I will explain, if you can bear my rambling. Once I headed the Empire's own legions, a Dragonlord of House Cathak, renowned throughout the Realm. But there are certain duties expected of any Dynast, and I was bound by law to sire children, a whole horde of them, upon my wife. Such was...not my inclination. And Nari, thinking that she could exploit this to her own advantage, sent out a squad from her own legion to kill my lover and our adopted child, all to humiliate me before my Legion. And so I killed every man she had sent, hunting them down one by one, and had their severed limbs nailed to the doors of her manse. A warning."

He sighs, at once reliving his sorrows and purging them, a bittersweet catharsis. "After that, House Cathak excoriated me. I had fathered no children on Alyssa, I had brought shame on the legions, I had betrayed the realm–or so they said, audacious bastards. Nari had gotten just what she wanted, trapping me in the politics of it all. The bitch is up in the North now, commanding my legion while her son defiles their family manse with orgiastic pleasures unfit for maiden's ears. The family has bent all its influence to see to it that I am outlawed and bounty-hunted: there is not a Dynast save that he knows my face and my crimes, and any of them would cut me down where I stand. That is why I cannot return to the Realm, why I must hide in the squalor of Lotus. I can never go back."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr listened to the Captain's tale, standing in the doorway. His face was experessionless, but he felt a sudden pang of sympathy - a fellow warrior who'd only followed his heart, brought low by treachery. It helped explain the sad state he'd brought Lotus to, and his seemingly boundless rage.

Don't worry, Captain. If all goes well, we could make sure you get a chance to duel this Nari fair and proper, and cut the little traitor to ribbons, if that's what you have in mind. We'll make sure that you CAN go back one day, though what you go back to may be... different.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

The Captain laughs at this, a bitter chortle. "If that is the case, then I hope that you can check your ambitions somewhat for my sake – try not to conquer the Realm before I am back on my feet." As grim as his jest is, he seems truly amused by by Zephyr's offer. "But oh, if you could give me a chance to duel that insolent whelp in a fair fight...even half-dead I would still smite her down! She never had any skill at arms, all tactics and politics." His eyes cloud over in reverie, as he imagines such a triumph.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr barked out a hearty laugh. Aye, we'll see what we can do about leaving you a piece. And I'm sure we can help you get what you need. He nodded to the Captain once more, then yawned hugely, looking at Ivory Eyes Ready to head out? I could use a bit of sleep.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

The warrior woman listening to him with sadness in her eyes and sympathy in her heart. All she could do was hold his hand gently, and give a quiet laugh at his latest comment. "We will get you to your feet and among new friends in no time. Your only goal now is to keep your promise to us and get strong. I am Invincible Maiden Yomiko," She looks up at her daughter, "and this is Konoko."

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239

"Yes, let's go," Ivory Eyes says as she touches Zephyr on the arm, then moves to leave. "I just can't wait until we can reveal ourselves. It'll be so much easier to move Bronzeheart into the city proper," she says, a glimmer of mischief in her eyes.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr laughed again Oh, that'll be a fine sight indeed. Perhaps I should walk in front in my spirit form, so they aren't unduly frightened! he said as he took her hand and walked towards the exit