New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Church's Right Hand

After many months of travel, the party had gathered at their destination. The Temple of Pelor. Though anybody unaware might call it a castle, nestled at the base of a lone mountain. It had many spires and walls and was rather large to make any king proud. It was situated so that the sun never seemed to be out of sight. At noon you could hardly see a shadow on the ground. Emblazoned on it's front door was the sign of Pelor, a large smiling sun. Beaming down on the world below.

Inside the large doors was green grass cut to a precise height, green trees that seemed to make the courtyard lush and vibrant. There were many monks around in their robes of mostly white. The higher officials among them had gold sashes and other markings of rank. A monk in a gold sash greeted each member of the party in turn. As the group showed up at different times during the intervening months, Some had shown up early like Aleanis, who lived the closest to the heart of Pelor's radiance. Others had a farther journey to travel and thus arrived later.

After the last one to arrive had spent a night to freshen himself up, you were all gathered in the High Dome to officially be told what you have been called for. the High Dome didn't do justice to the building. It was a circular room with the walls rising high enough for four men to stand on shoulders and still not reach the top. It had a glass dome with a myriad of colors and shapes that played with the light and made the room seem brighter and full of color. It allowed you to see the floor that had a large gold gilted sun with a smiling face on the ground. the rays reaching out to each corner of the circuluar room. You are ushered into the center and then left alone.

As the large bell tower in the back of the temple rang at the stroke of ten, an older man entered. He had gray in his hair and though he was old, he stood stiff back and tall, and his blue eyes stared so hard at you that you might imagine he was staring into your soul. He wore a white robe like the others, except he had a gold sash around his waist that crawled up his chest to go over his shoulder. On the other side of his chest was the Pelor sun, smiling at you. And the last thing that told you this was the highest official in the temple, was the five stars placed on lapels around his neck.

He sat atop the simple high backed chair on a small dias. The simple chair, just with his attitude and him sitting in it seemed to be more thronelike than you first took it to be. He gazed at each of the you in turn before speaking.

"I thank you all for coming. Let the light of Pelor bless you. You have heard rumor and probably have guessed at why you have been brought here. I shall confirm your suspicions. You have been brought here to become one with the troubles of the land. It is within the doctrine of Pelor that those who follow in his blessed light must relieve all suffering where found. And, my children, we have found much suffereing within the world. The shadow creeps ever closer to breaching into our world. News of the Shadowfell has reached across the land. There are other churches to evil gods who want suffering and death. There are even those within our own church that defy and desecrate the Holy power of Pelor.

You are to become our hand. to reach out and place a soothing salve on the world. To turn shadow into light. To bring salvation to those lost. Just spreading the word isn't enough anymore, you shall make sure right is done. We will direct you to places where things are the worst and you shall deal with them to the best of your ability."

He stands up from his simple chair, albeit slowly, and walks forward to Aelanis. "You shall lead this team. You are a powerful paladin and a born leader. As leader, all decisions shall come from you, but all responsibilty lays on your shoulders as well. I hope the men we found will be to your liking. They have shown great promise and devotion to our god Pelor."

He started to stride back to his chair but stopped halfway and turned around to face the entire group. "There is one final person to make this team complete. He has a penance to complete and is not one of our devoted children. I hope you can show him the way. He will be a valuable asset in your journeys." He made a gesture and from another door in the room, to the groups left, Erdrik steps through. Right on his heels is a paladin of Pelor, wearing a shining breastplate with the symbol of pelor on the left of his chest. Tattooed across his forhead, was a half of Pelor, pearing over his eyebrows. He wore a white shirt and even had a white cloak on, the golden suns attached on the shoulders. Everything about him seemed polished. But his face was hard and didn't look happy to be having to do this particular job.

After entering, he went to one knee and placed a gauntleted fist to the floor and bowed his head. "Sir Edimon, I bring the Prisoner savage." He said to the floor.

"Rise, my son and be well." The Paladin seemed to take this for a dismissal for he stood, saluted Edimon and went through the door he just entered, closing it behind him.

Edimon turned to the four members of The Hand. "May I present Erdrik, a man from the tribes over the mountains. He has been reputed to have slayed a member of the light. But I don't believe him to be an evil man. Misguided perhaps. So he is to be joined with you. To serve as penance and to hopefully make him a better person. He is to be your responsibilty. We have bonded him to you, Aelanis. He cannot move farther than two hundred feet from your presence and cannot kill within city limits, nor can he physically harm any of you. He has chosen this over being sent to the hangman. I hope your influence can guide him toward the light."

He strides back to his chair but doesn't sit down. instead he just looks at each of you in turn then says finally. "Your first mission shall be given to you on the morning of tommarrow. Please perpare all neccessities for the journy you shall partake tommarow. Now go, and be well with the light." He gives a warming smile to you all as lesser member in just a plain white robe enters and proceeds to try and usher you out of the High Dome.
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Fear is only a Dream – so dream, my little one, dream” – R.K. Milholland

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Church's Right Hand

Erdrik

The ranger snarled as the strange priest spoke. He hated the man. Erdrik had slain a murderer and this was his reward? Chastised and told to serve under some strange god or be hanged?
    He missed the shaman of his tribe, they could explain everything. Perhaps they could explain why these so called 'civilized' people were so backwards. He wondered what would happen if he raped a woman; would they praise him, set him up on a pedestal and toss roses at his feet? Maybe if he ate the flesh of a child they'd absolve him of his so called crimes.
    Tribal tenants are tribal tenants however, and as awkward as these people's rules were, he found himself stuck obeying them. May as well make the most of it.

As the man finished speaking, Erdrik, having completely ignored what the man had said having named the 'paladin' their leader, merely folded his arms across his chest.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Brogrim

Brogrim casts a quick glance at the savage, before turning towards his new leader. His shining armor casts dancing reflections at the ceiling as he kneels down and bows his head down, letting the red braids of his scalp fall next to the ones in his beard. "My hand is yours to command, Sire. No matter what the duty."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Aelanis

Aelanis smiles warmly.

"Arise, my friend. You need not bow to me. I am not the king, my brother is."
    Then he looks over at Erdrik

"I understand that you are in my charge, good sir."
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Erdrik

As the man adressed him, Erdrik forced back a snarl, instead, choosing to adress the man in Giant.

"Lo' krag'lim dreg nar'n grath crique't nec."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your mother's a wh*** and you're father her pimp.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Arun

Arun watched everything without saying a word. He looked ready to kneel as well, but stopped as he heard the prince's reply. He settles for nodding respectfully at him before shifting his attention to the 'savage'.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Minoras

"Whatever is your wish, Lord" Minoras replied, bowing to the Elder Priest.

Why must we guide this savage? Minoras thought to himself as they were shown Edrik and told that they were to watch over, He is most discourteous.

Minoras, those who have seen the light must enlighten those for whom the sun holds no warmth, so that they to may one day be enlightened
    Last edited by Anonomuss; 2009-04-16 at 02:31 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiendish_Dire_Moose View Post
    Erdrik

As the man adressed him, Erdrik forced back a snarl, instead, choosing to adress the man in Giant.

"Lo' krag'lim dreg nar'n grath crique't nec."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your mother's a wh*** and you're father her pimp.
    Aelanis

Aelanis gives Erdrik a quizzical look.

<I beg your pardon?> he ventures in Dwarven.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Erdrik

Erdrik merely raises an eyebrow at Aelanis. After a moment he shrugs.

10. - Top - End - #10

Beholder

Brogrim rises and takes a step back to look at his new compatriotes. He was not yet sure how much he liked the idea of bringing a savage on a quest of devotion but he was certainly not going to raise any issues in his position. He tries to look the others in the eyes sequentially and smile warmly. "I guess that makes one day to use for our leisure. Personally, I have not been here for at least twenty years and I would like to take the chance, visiting the temple and shrine once again. If you" - he nods to Aelanis - "approve, of course. May I ask you to visit them with me?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Aelanis

Aelanis nods gently.

"I would be honored."

Then he looks at Erdrik.

"Come with me please, good Erdrik."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Erdrik

Erdrik glares at Aelanis, a sort of look that said, 'do you not understand, I have no clue what you're saying!" He speaks again in Giant.

"Min grem Neptune, hod grakam liguan!"

Spoiler
    Show
    "For Neptune's Sake, speak the king's English!"

Fourth wall baby.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Aelanis

Aelanis looks at Erdrik confusedly.

"You must forgive, me, I don't understand what you're trying to say. Let us start over. Do...you...speak...Common?"

He tries to make hand-signs to communicate his meaning.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Erdrik

Erdrik was forced to choke back laughing at the paladin's shenanigans and masked it with a look of confusion.
    'Yes, because speaking slower and waving your arms around will make anyone understand you. What a dolt. Perhaps I could at least gain some entertainment out of this fellow.'
    Erdrik stared at Aelanis for a moment before tapping his nose. He produced thee potions from his backpack and began juggling them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Aelanis

"Does anyone understand this man?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Arun

Arun speaks softly. "I believe I may be able to help, m'lord. There is a ritual known to me that will allow me to understand what he is saying."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Aelanis

Aelanis nods towards Arun. "If you can translate for me, then please do so."

18. - Top - End - #18

Beholder

Brogrim's face lightens up as he hears Arun mention a ritual he knows well from his own use. "You must mean Ghorhadran's Word. That should certainly work to understand his utterances. Producing the speech yourself, however, is something quite more complex which I have not been able to master yet. But I still can provide you with ritual ingredients and assistence if you require them."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Arun

Arun turns to Brogrim and smiles. "I am sure the church as a stockpile of reagents they wouldn't mind us partaking of. And while that's not what we call it, the purpose is the same, so the ritual can't be that different. Your assistance would be most welcome. I've not been able to master it fully yet myself." He moves off to find an acolyte of some sort to help him get what he needs.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"No need for that." a high pitched voice said from behind Erdrik. A woman, slightly wide in girth and only about 4 foot 11. She was wearing all white with a red sash that crossed her chest loosely - indicating she was an preist. Above an acolyte, but not yet ready to run her own church of mission. She gave a disapproving look at Erdrik, then looked at the others. "He can understand you quite fine. In fact he knows quite a lot of languages for one most call a savage. He just doesn't like being here. Though I can't for the life of me understand why as we saved him from an execution." She said the last with a little vehemence, as if to give it weight and meaning, and glared at Erdrik.

She turned back to the others. "Yeah, he had us all quite confused at first. till a couple of rituals and grand master preist Edimon, let the light shine on him always, giving him a few choice words in giant - the language he was speaking five seconds ago - got him to at least acknowledge that he understood and spoke common along with Dwarven, Elven, goblin, and of course giant."

"My name is Cheryl, I was his warder for the time he has spent here. I was supposed to take care of him and such, but he wouldn't let me come very near to him for most of the time. Ended up just making and giving him food."
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Fear is only a Dream – so dream, my little one, dream” – R.K. Milholland

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

21. - Top - End - #21

Beholder

Brogrim lets out an audible sigh before he turns towards Erdrik. He keeps his face and voice neutral, trying to withhold any hint of anger or joy he might feel. "I will take it on her authority that you are able to understand me. Now I am neither the leader of our little task force nor am I the one assigned to be your warden. Nonetheless, let me sketch the two options for you, as I see them right now. Either you can choose not to communicate and let yourself be dragged along with us as a prisoner - or you can choose to communicate and aid us and be treated with the respect we share for any fellow retainer of the clergy." Only after speaking the last sentence, he move his eyes up entirely to meet those of Erdrik. "The choice is yours. Let us know when you have made it."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Erdrik

Erdrik smiled cruelly as Cheryl addressed the group. He carefully caught the three potions and put them back in his bag.
    "This is how it is. I hate you. Every last one of you. You're pious xenophobic and your minds dwell in filthy places that you disguise with your 'light'.
    I am a more competent combatant than all of you, and that is why I am here. I answer to only one of you. And you, shorty, are not him."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Arun

Arun will frown. "Pious? Yes. Xenophobic? Not at all. Filthy? I will admit all mankind has their faults. Only the gods are perfect. Which why we strive to emulate Pelor, in the hopes of bettering ourselves. I will not disagree that you are more able in combat than I. Perhaps during our journeys together you will come to find we are not as bad as you think."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Edrik

Refusing to look at Arun, Erdrik addressed him, angrily, spitefully.
    "Nobody, asked you."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiendish_Dire_Moose View Post
    Erdrik

Erdrik smiled cruelly as Cheryl addressed the group. He carefully caught the three potions and put them back in his bag.
    "This is how it is. I hate you. Every last one of you. You're pious xenophobic and your minds dwell in filthy places that you disguise with your 'light'.
    I am a more competent combatant than all of you, and that is why I am here. I answer to only one of you. And you, shorty, are not him."
    Aelanis

"Since when was piety something to be disdained? When have we shown you anything but acceptance and tolerance, while you hide behind hypocrisy? What filty places could the mind of a prince dwell in. I am one of the finest swordsmen in Ruaness, and you are here because Pelor, in his infinite mercy deigned to spare your life. You answer to me, yes, but your hate is misguided."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Erdrik

"Pelor? Infinite mercy? Oh yes, I'm sure your 'god' is just and infallible. I bring a murderer posing as your ilk to justice and I'm indebted to you people.
    And what is my service to you? Killing those whose only crime is probably little more than believing something different than you."
    Last edited by Fiendish_Dire_Moose; 2009-04-19 at 09:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Arun

Arun will give a slight smile as he turns to Brogrim and nods respectfully. "I do not believe we have been properly introduced. My name is Arun Tadell, humble servant of Pelor. It is an honor to meet a fellow clergyman."

28. - Top - End - #28

Beholder

Brogrim

Brogrim rolls his eyes and allows sarcasm to ooze into his voice. "Why yes, of course. Also, we will be butchering children who were baptised to false gods and burn down villages who failed to pay a sufficient tithe. Will you please try to reserve your prejudice for situations where it might be remotely justified?" He doesn't wait for the answer and turns to Arun instead, bowing his head slightly before the fellow clergyman. "Brogrim Hearthstone. And the pleasure and honor in joining this cause will be mine. I hope, I can learn a few things from you on this journey."
    Brogrim chooses to ignore the savage for now but makes a mental note to address Cheryl later to inform himself about the circumstances of his trial. Maybe it could give him some insight into the ranger.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Erdrik

Erdrik rolled his eyes.
    "Prejudice is unjustified. That's why it's called prejudice you simpleton."

30. - Top - End - #30

Beholder

Brogrim

There is a spark in Brogrim's eye as he accepts Erdrik's challenge and turns around. He is not quite sure how much he likes arguing with the savage but it certainly beats ignoring him. "Is that so? Maybe in one of your languages, the words 'prejudice' and 'unjustified' have similar pronounciations but in my tongues, it is not the case. And while prejudice does have its demerits in narrowing and simplifying one's view on the world, it would be hard to avoid entirely. After all, if you have no knowledge of a certain individual, you can not act on anything but the prejudice and unfounded opinions you have. For example I haven't met either Sir Aleanis nor you before. However, one of you is a Paladin of my god and one of you isn't. So I will be acting on my prejudice, who to trust. So far I see no reason to change that."