New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Under The Winter's Moon IC

Theron Mythseeker

Paying attention to the conversation for once Theron speaks up, and says "Yes, Yes let us get to some sort of tavern that way we can make plans for the expedition, and pool our knowledge of the situation. That way we can formulate a plan as Careo so wisely said one must try to always be prepared. Once we have a plan then perhaps I can get some peace and quiet to compile today's events properly so that it may someday be added to my manuscript" With that Theron begins heading to the tavern/inn where he has been staying for the past couple weeks.
    Last edited by obtusehobbit; 2009-04-25 at 08:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Philleas Fogg

"Umm, Gnnome guy, I mean, Theren was it? I think we're actually heading to the Copper Pot inn where Al's been staying. In that direction. Unless they have better food and drink at your perhaps?" Philleas says to the gnome, pointing in the direction Alcest is leading.

"And no problem Benjy, just, umm, civic duty and, uh, can't resist a chance to help out right? Say, I don't suppose any of those lads lost in the forest happen to be related to some well-to-do member of this town's society by any chance do they?" Philleas replies to Mr. Post, only slightly put out by the scars and more flustered over trying to look like he's doing this out of the goodness of his heart. Which he was of course, he was just aware that doing things out of the goodness of your heart could bring other rewards as well.
    Last edited by Pink; 2009-04-25 at 08:27 PM.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Careo Novo

Careo smiled at Philleas's comments.
    <Haven't even established a plan, and already thinking of a reward. I like this guy.>

He spoke up to correct Philleas.
    "Copper Coronet, actually. The Copper Pot's not exactly the most reputable establishment in Hawkshaven, if you know what I mean. I really wish someone would make them change their name. It's too confusing to travelers, why, just the other day..." Careo said, only half-realizing he was going on about a rather uninteresting topic. He stopped at that thought, hoping nobody minded. "Er... anyway, yes. Let's go, shall we?" With a quick glance around and a nod, he began to follow Alcest off toward the inn.
    I'm back on the forums after a really long absence. Yay!

4. - Top - End - #34

Realizing his error theron quickly joins the others he even goes so far as to put away his journal as the travel to the Copper Coronet "Very well then let us be off. Master Careo please continue with your story if you would no need to be shy. What happened the other day may be of interest to those you least expect. Why just the other say I was attempting to acquire a rather...." Theron continues talking explaining in great detail about how he acquired a story from a local wise man by offering in exchange some bit of trivial knowledge he had learned in a town over. "...then he final relented, and we both departed happy. See even the most insignificant thing can lead to something greater."
    Last edited by obtusehobbit; 2009-04-25 at 09:26 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35

Kurshiruug
    Bored by the endless conversation he wondered if other species were capable of silence for a few minutes to simply enjoy... silence. It must be an Elf thing he reminded himself, as most others he came across were always blabbing on about something.

On the outside he had a blank stoic face on and it was quite impossible to tell he was irritated by all of the dialogue. Breathing heavy from the incredibly long journey and wanting a rest from this incredibly heavy pack he was amazed they couldn't simply just pick a tavern. They were all generally the same as far as any Elf could tell in their incredibly long lives. He followed them in silence, all he wanted was to sit down and rest a moment.
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-

6. - Top - End - #36

Benjamin looks quite shocked as you stand there, talking amongst each other (or not). "Please, I don't think you realize the severity of the situation. Our friends, neighbors, and brothers are trapped in there with gods know what! You guys need to go now. Every second their in there is another second their lives are in danger!"

For Drake and Kurshiruug only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You two both notice for a moment, something other than fear on his face, but can't quite place it. Anger, perhaps?
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

7. - Top - End - #37

Philleas Fogg

Philleas turns and looks at the man for a moment, a blank stare on the wizard's face as he listens. The wheels quickly turning in his head he responds in a half serious half friendly manner to Mr. Post. "Benjy, I understand your concern, but really, you need to look at this from our perspective. I just arrived in town. I hardly expected the first thing I'd be doing today is running into a forest I am completely unfamiliar with in order to rescue some huntsmen, and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one who is a little unprepared for it. We'll be much more effective in finding them if we have a chance to perhaps find and ask their relatives where the young men usually hunt, where they camp out in the woods, and other such things that we need some time to prepare for. It could be the difference between us going in to rescue them and us wandering blindly into the woods to wind up dead ourselves." Hoping his explanation was enough, Philleas headed back to follow Alcest to the inn. "That, and I haven't had a proper breakfast yet. They do say breakfast is the most important meal of the day."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I can understand trying to speed things up, but I don't think many of these High Int characters will run into the forest without some kind of plan and a little information gathering. If you want to speed up the town roleplay elements though, I wouldn't mind a quick purchase of a cold weather outfit and a winter blanket. 8.5 gold and we can just say I picked it up from a vender on the way to the inn if that's alright.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38

Careo Novo

Mr. Post raised a valuable point, yet he just didn't understand.

"Mr. Post, I know you're worried about these men, but you aren't the only one. I want to find them just as much as you do. But you have to go about things logically. We can't just run in blindly. If there's something dangerous out there, and, to be honest, I have a feeling there is, we need to be ready to deal with that."

He paused; he felt that perhaps he was being a little too blunt. "I know time is of the essence, but we won't take long. We just need to get our bearings, and figure things out, like Philleas said."

Again, he paused. The man clearly was in need of reassuring. Careo put his hand on Benjamin's shoulder. "Don't worry yourself. We'll get them out safely." As he turned, he felt a pang of guilt at what might be an untruth. It was for the best, though.
    Last edited by Vexxation; 2009-04-27 at 07:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Alcest Delmonde

"Indeed, Sir Novo and Mr. Fogg are both correct. Though the pause may seem to slow us, the efficiency it will grant us will ultimately outweigh the penalties. Sometimes a shift in stance can win a fight."

Alcest continues to lead the way to the inn.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

10. - Top - End - #40

"Indeed, perhaps it is for the best." Ben looks at the group, smiling while speaking. [COLOR="rgb(160, 82, 45)"]"Just make sure you go as quickly as possible."[/COLOR]

Spoiler
    Show
    This is actually only about 5% me wanting to speed things up, 95% playing Post, so go ahead and roleplay in the tavern.
    As of 9/30/09

11. - Top - End - #41

Kurshiruug
    In a low voice he mutters to the the other volunteers and the man who had rallied them "I don't have time to just stand around all day. I'm going to the closest inn and getting a room. After that I intend to leave for my mission as soon as possible."

With that he heads off in the direction of the nearest tavern by following signs and asking any he passes for directions. It is evident he doesn't care if the others are following.
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

12. - Top - End - #42

Theron Mythseeker

"Don't go to far my fine elven friend we to will be off sortly as well I believe, but first we must gather our supplies and make some plans."
    Last edited by obtusehobbit; 2009-04-29 at 07:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Careo Novo

The inn wasn't too awfully far away, and they reached it shortly.

"Aha, at last, the Copper Coronet!" Careo exclaimed, upon the quintet's arrival.

The building is almost deserted, save a lone barmaid, a buxom young woman toiling away, cleaning an already spotless counter. She flashes a smile at the group as they enter. Careo blushes, temporarily, but quickly composes himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hope you don't mind my inventing the barmaid. I figured there'd be one.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Alcest Delmonde

"Well then, shall we be seated?" Alcest walks by the bar maid to the far corner of the room and pulls out a chair, seating himself.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

15. - Top - End - #45

Philleas Fogg

"Ah, a fine place for a get together. Madam, if it's not too much trouble I shall have some bread and two fried eggs, yolks broken if you don't mind, and if you have some available a dash of some ground pepper over them would be wonderful."
    A squeaking by his ear reminds him of Telemicus and he adds to his order, "Oh, and a small chunk of cheese. And a pint of some decent ale if you have a barrel tapped this morning. Thank you."

His order complete he sits down at a table with (presumably) the rest of the party (sans the elf). It's actually somewhat interesting to notice that the odour that permeates the air around him is much less noticeable in the bar setting. Perhaps this is because much of it was gathered in a baroom setting and is therefore quite natural, or maybe its just on its best behavior when there is a chance for food and a drink. "So, I'm new, which of you fellow volunteers and, once we find them, heroes, are locals and which are visitors? Have to say that volunteering for a quest in an area I know nothing about to find people who still haven't been named or described for me is not the smartest move I've made in my life. I blame it on the lack of drink in my system, a fact which will hopefully be remedied. Anyway, to planning. So, locals, anybody?"
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

A few minutes in the town reveals to Kurshiruug that the Copper Coronet is indeeed the only choice of inn. This is quite a small town, after all, which gets very few visitors.

The small wooden door sticks a little as the group enters the Copper Coronet. It is a small, comely tavern, which is apparently run by the barmaid and (presumably from the close family resemblence) her brother, and a chef in back. This is fine, however, because the Coronet is realively empty: a group of four sit at one table talking quietly amongst themselves, and another man sits with his head in his arms at the bar, possibly asleep, surrounded by an empty mug and a disordly stack of papers.

The barmaid comes over as the groups sits down to take Pilleas's order. Despite the events of the morning, she seems rather cheerful today. As she smiles and takes the order, it's unclear whether she's eyeing Careo, or just trying to look anywhere but Philleas. "Can I get anyone else something to eat? We just got some fresh arrowhawk eggs. Supposed to be delicious."
    As of 9/30/09

17. - Top - End - #47

Careo Novo

Careo smiles at the barmaid. "That sounds lovely, thanks," he says, sincerely meaning it. He'd been awakened quite early by all the hubbub around town and had yet to eat. His stomach had been reminding him of this fact, angrily.

"Now, Mr. Fogg... Can I call you Philleas? I'm going to. Philleas, I'm from Hawkshaven, lived here all my life. If you have questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can." He knew Fogg was right about the dangers of rushing in blindly; that was, after all, the precise reason they had adjourned to the inn.

"Now, about the forest..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(Local) skill check, Gentoo's discretion what it nets me.
    Spending 1 Inspiration point for Cunning Knowledge (+Factotum Level to Skill Check)
    Check:(1d20+8)[27]

18. - Top - End - #48

Realizing the pertinent information may be forth coming Theron stops talking about his expedition, and once more pulls out his journal. "Well, I would be interested to know about those who have gone missing thus far"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Alcest

Alcest orders as healthy a meal possible and turns to the group, a serious look on his face. "So, Careo. You're most familiar with the town, yes? Do you know anything pertinent?"

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

20. - Top - End - #50

Philleas Fogg

"Thank you miss, but eggs of the normal chicken variety will suffice."
    Philleas says with a smile to the barmaid.

"Well, it's good to have at least one of us familiar. And yes, feel free to call me by a more casual name. I've never been good with titles or formality or all that stuff." The unkept wizard replies to Careo.
    "Now perhaps it's a bit much to ask, after all I don't really know how large this town is and how much of a community spirit it harbours, but pr'haps you might be able to tell us who the rest of the missing blokes are eh? Surely that much has spread over town, and if you know a bit more about them and their hunting patterns, all the better."
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

Careo Novo

Careo thought hard about the forest. A few things came to mind that he thought were important enough to mention.

"Okay, first of all, I don't know if you know this, but it's referred to as the Forest of Wrath." Careo paused, to get a little acknowledgment. "Well, anyway, ignore the name. There's no curse or anything, it's all superstition based on a guy from way back called Matthew Rath. As far as I've ever known, the forest is pretty much harmless."

Careo looked down at the table in front of him. After a moment, he spoke once more, "...and that's what frightens me. Because I don't know what's out there anymore. Once we enter the forest, we're going to have to be cautious and ready for absolutely anything."

"As far as I can tell, only one thing remains: finding where the hunters went. I wish I knew, but I'm sure someone can tell us."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay for minor progress! One step closer to getting back on the railroad figuring this mystery out

22. - Top - End - #52

Kurshiruug

Having paid for his room he heads upstairs and puts his backpack on his rented bed. Afterwords he comes back downstairs and sits down with the group and listens to them talk. When the barmaid asks what he wants he orders the special with some water to drink. After that he sits back to listen to the group talk. A sigh of relaxation escapes him as he leans back clearly glad to have the heavy pack off his back.

Exile

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Alcest

Alcest drums his fingers in the table, his other hand held over his mouth and propping up his head. Lost in concentration, he stares at nothing in particular. "Forest of Wrath, hrm?," he mumbles. "We have no option but to go into the forest. I'm sure everyone is prepared for the climes around here as far as equipment is concerned? We may have to make camp. Once we've eaten, I say we head out as soon as possible. At the very least... any suggestions for a search plan? We should ask about first, but what after?"
    Last edited by Faulty; 2009-05-05 at 11:37 PM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

24. - Top - End - #54

Philleas Fogg

"Kurshi, nice to see you've joined us." Fogg says to the now unladen elf that joins them in their meal. In responce to Alcest's comment the wizard replies, "I'm afraid I don't carry many warm clothes or other weather appropriate items with me. Usually I have a spell for that, but in the off chance of danger it may be best to go through mundane ways to keep my warmth and have an extra spell to blast something with eh? So I'll need a brief stop at a merchant 'fore we leave, less one of you gents has extra to lend to me?"
    "As for how we should go about looking for them, if we cannot find their family, we should find other hunters. I'd imagine there has to be a certain small number of good hunting spots, especially now that winter's come eh? Know of any Car, hunters that is? Someone who might even have a map or two or something of that sort to bum off him?"
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

Kurshiruug
    Sipping his water for a few minutes he eventually grew bored of the silence and spoke up. "I wonder if we can find and talk to a local guide. He may be able to provide us a map. I mean surely there has to be someone left who knows the forest."
    Last edited by Gamgee; 2009-05-10 at 01:28 AM.

Exile