New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Arkentools art

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Arkentools art

So, my question is this:

Why are the Arkentools made using 3D rendered objects instead of being drawn?
    Yeah, of course I know the pros - they don't change poses like the characters do, so all it takes to "draw" an Arkentool is to rotate it, but would it be SO much of a problem to actually draw them (or at least use cellshading to render them)? I don't think that the pros outweight the one disadvantage this way of rendering has, because it's a huge one - it's like giving characters in a photocomic hand-drawn weapons.
    It's weird.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Arkentools art

Quote Originally Posted by Oglokoog View Post
    It's weird.
    It seems like it is a style choice ... one suggestion was that they aren't really part of the world at all, they are just left overs that the Titans dropped.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oglokoog View Post
    It's weird.
    It's supposed to be weird.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Yeah I got the point of the 3d rendered tools when I first noticed it. They are supposed to be otherworldly and strange. Something not made for that existence.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Notice how the comic is a two-dimensional representation of a presumably three-dimensional world (if Parson can survive there)? Think of the arkentools' artwork as the second dimension's equivalent of what four-dimensional objects would look like in our reality. It makes sense... because real four-dimensional objects would be mysterious, wonderful, and potentially all-powerful, much like the arkentools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_dimension.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

How about plastic (or cardboard) game pieces with metal weapon tokens? A few board games use radically different art media to represent different parts of the game. The Arkentools may fall into this category. Although sheepfly's theory is another interesting explanation.