New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 45 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Drawn into Ravenoft IC

[new OoC thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post3761200]

The trip has taken more than you care to remember. Already you have been wondering for some time if this place even exists. The moment you started your descent into the valley, with the mountains looming menacingly to the West, was the first time you wondered if this was a good idea, but now...

Gray in the fog, high stone pillars loom up from the impenetrable woods on both sides of the road. You have been travelling for so long that, at first sight, you confused them with just two more of the massive trunks that seem to press on the road and choke you as you trundled on. Huge iron gates hang from the stonework, dew clinging to the rusting bars. Standing before the pillars are two stone statues of armed guardians with wicked polearms. Their carved heads lie among the weeds at their feet, netly broken from the stone shoulders.

As you approach this change in the bleak forested landscape that has huddled you for hours, you notice thin tendrils of mist that cling to the branches, the stone pillars, the statues, and even your clothes. Upon reaching the edge of the tiny clearing, you realize you're not alone...

The mists seem to clear just enough for you to make out the shapes of other travellers, who seem drawn inexorably to the gates just like you are.

[Please describe yourselves and talk it over, guys]
    Last edited by cintain; 2008-01-07 at 03:46 PM. Reason: adding OoC thread link
    "The sage rules by emptying hearts and stuffing bellies, weakening ambitions and strengthening bones..." ---Daodejing

"Few things exist that are as deafening as silence" --- Mario Benedetti

"You can't predict what happens in life, but that's no reason to retreat from it" --- Rikus, to Sadira, in "The Cerulean Storm"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Drawn into Ravenoft IC

Tell

Tell scans the roadside, as if looking for a place to hide. A glance at the others near the gate seems to convince him he has already been spotted. He begins walking toward them.

Lean and brown-skinned, he travels with minimal equipment. Hides and buckskin leggings clothe him and dreadlocks crown his head. He could be a ranger of the woods, a hunter or trapper--but he is rather well armed. A vicious spiked chain hangs round his shoulders, and a buckler is strapped to his left arm.

He stops a respectful distance from the others, squats down with his back to a tree, and surveys them.

He says nothing.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Prydaran

Prydaran stands at the mists edge, looking at the gates, a small smile hidden under his beard. He had not seen another traveler on this road until now. Somehow though, he'd known that there would be others who would not allow an unjust curse to prevail.

He is dressed simply, in monks clothing, carrying a backpack and holding a longspear. His brown eyes looks over the others as he bows slightly in their direction. His gray hair and beard look clean and well tended. His hand is familiar on his spear, holding it upright while he bows. His demeanor is open and friendly, but his face has scars crossing it unsettlingly, and his beard and hair do not hide the disfigurement well.

"Greetings fellow travelers, it seems that for the moment we are all headed in the same direction."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vortiger

Vortiger approached the gates carefully.
    I'm not alone to find letters, it seems. Great, more people. Hopefully, they'll keep in line. His hand drifted unconciously towards the butt of the crossbow. Most travelling people don't keep in line.

The man emerging from the mists has a haggard, gaunt look to him. His long, black hair hangs in lank stripes, his eyes deeply set, but surprisingly light. His gaze is intense, giving a sense that he is looking through the back of your mind for faults, perhaps faults you are yourself unaware of. His clothes are in a bad state, tattered and worn, with few attempts to mend them. Around his neck hangs a strange black-ish piece of metal, occasionally giving off a glint. He carries a backpack, a short sword and a crossbow-ish contraption.

As he approaches the gate, a keen observer can notice a certain care in his step, as if he is ready to run or fight at a the slightest commotion. His eyes convince you that he would choose to fight.

Indeed, friend dwarf. Indeed. And this bloody place isn't precisely a great flaming trade caravan meeting place. So, why are we traveling the same way, because i doubt you're here cos' you momma needs to buy a new pig for summer solstice?

5. - Top - End - #5

PirateCaptain

Ellylles

I thought that old man said no one would dare go down this road.Slowly drawing his dagger Ellylles steps into the clearing.

The man emerging from the mists walks with a cat-like grace and seems to exude confidence. This is offset however by the debilitated appearance of his body. The blade in his hand swirls with tendrils of what looks almost like coals and ice. Rings adorn his fingers and black leather bracers perch on his spindly arms. A tattered cloak, that doesn't look like it could stop a light breeze never mind any rain, sits on his shoulders covering what might be a chain shirt but for some reason it seems blurred as if it were in deep shadows. The only other items on his person are a dark wooden buckler and a hand crossbow on his hip.

"I can't imagine you're all here for alcohol so your either all going down the same cursed road at the same time or this is a trap. Do we start fighting or will you all behave?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vortiger

I know of no damn traps, and if you have walked into one then so have i. As for fighting, i'll leave it up to you if you want a bolt through your eye.

As he speaks Vortiger surveys the people around him, the newcomer most of all.

But i don't think you will, and bolts through the eyes of strangers never seem to cause anything but bloody trouble. Name's Vortiger, and my errand here is my own.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

Tell remains in his squatting position near his tree. He watches the newcomer with the dagger at first, then looks out into the forest. He says nothing as the others talk.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

8. - Top - End - #8

Kobold

Prydaran

Prydaran's cheek twitched as he tried not to smile. The posturing of these other travelers amused him. "Well aren't we just a lively bunch. Scary too, coming out of the mists like this together. Or maybe just trying to seem that way. He looks up at the pillars to either side of the gate, "Shoddy workmanship, though well enough done that it's lasted. Oh well." He mutters, half aloud as he shakes his head.

Turning back to the others he lifts his spear off the ground and sets it on his shoulder for carrying. "Either we're here for the same reason, or we aren't. If we are all here to help the people of this place it does strain credulity to arrive unannounced at the same place and at the same time. However if we all just happened to cross paths, and are continuing upon each owns way, that's less incredulous.

Prydaran turns to the gate, "I do prefer company when travelling in any case, whether we are all on the same path or not. I am called Prydaran. Shall those of us going this direction continue?" He walks to the gate, stopping when he does so, and lifts his hand in order to try to push it open.
    Last edited by maktul; 2008-01-10 at 12:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

As Prydaran's hand reaches for the ancient gate, a loud, shrill screeching sound fills the air, commanding all your attention. The gates shudder, as if suddenly awakened from a deep slumber no creature was meant to disturb, then open, making the mists swirl. As they do so fully, the screeching sound lingers for an instant, then fades away...

No other sound can be heard. A wide dirt road is barely visible in the ever-shifting fog, leading off into the mist-choked forest.
    Last edited by cintain; 2008-01-10 at 12:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

--- TOIR ---

With the sound of the gate's opening you all hear the click-clack of what might sound like a horses hooves on a hard cobbled surface. Except for the fact that there are no such surfaces nearby. Those of you who turn to look in the direction of the noise see a creature resembling a half starved bug standing erect on bipeddal legs it's mouth moving in a bizzare manner. You then notice that the click-clacking is being emmited by the creature. Perhaps in some attempt to communicate...?

You notice it wears little in the way of clothing other than a shoddy and well-worn pair of boot which are obviously too large for it and a small knife held tightly in one fist-claw... It's large eyes seem overly pronounced as it seems to be trying to take in all of it's surroundings at once. The multi-faceted orbs blink vertically then horizontally in quick sucession as they creature reguards you all yet again. Once again it repeats it strange noises and gestures at the gates. It does not seem hostile just unerved by your presence as it guestures emphatically towards the gates and waits for a reply, weapon in hand.

Seeing that it's attempts to communicate have had little avail the creature twitches it's antanae and tries a different tactic. It thumps its chest and screeches in a shrill manner... "Tchck.......Oichtchk.....Itchckch......Rtchktckss ......" Frustratedand agitated it thumps it's chest again and more slowly tries again. "Tchckt-OIchckt-eRtchck."

"Tchckt... Youchckt... go inchtckt?" The creature asks as it's antenae still twitch belying the calm expressionless fascade of it's chitinous exterior.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Toir - In Drawn into Ravenloft
    Mirahako - In Bertram's Shadow: Misfits

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

Tell finally seems to take an interest in his surroundings when the bug shows up. He freezes except for one hand that moves slowly to take a hold of his battle-chain. A drop of dew falls from the tree he is crouched under and hits his nose, but he does not flinch. He simply stares intently at the newcomer.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vortiger

When Prydaran spoke Vortiger had relaxed somewhat, taking his hand off his crossbow and relaxing his stance. At the entrance of the bug, he tensed again, and he was back to fingering his crossbow.

A... bug? Armed bug? Hm, looks harmless enough though. Looks almost... childish.
    He notices Tell's reaction, and smiles a wry smile, his eyes thinning.
    I believe... Prydaran, was it? Is right. Those with direction should be on their way. And i'd take my hand of that chain if i were you.
    This he directs at Tell with an icy stare.
    He then turns and walks towards the gate.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

Tell jingles the chain slightly.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

--- TOIR ---

Seeming more confused than before Toir looks at everyone with his giant reflective anime eyes, blinks his eyelids once, vertically and horizontally and asks. "chtckttS...LOWchckt....rrrrrrrrtchckt... YEchcktStk?"

Toir clearly doesn't understand what you are all saying when you speak so quickly. Perhaps if you spoke more clearly it might understand you better.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

[Since I can't make out the message OOC, I will assume Tell can't figure it out IC. But speaking slower does make sense.]

Tell looks back at the insect. He stands up and says to it,

"What do... you eat?"

He is careful to enunciate each word. He also keeps his hand on his chain.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Toir

Taking a moment and considering the words its antennae twirling. Toir finally takes it's free hand and hold it under its mouth. Making a few noises it spits up something that looks like a chunk of half digested flesh covered in a very pungent and very corrosive goo. Its mandibles spread wide in what you assume is a smile for a Dromite. Toir shows you what it eats and then proceeds to chew on it once again slurping and munching it back into its waiting mandibles.
    Last edited by Timaoh; 2008-01-11 at 01:41 PM.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

Tell gives a short bark of a laugh, and smiles. "Are you... going this way? Come with us... and if these guys make trouble... we'll eat them. Okay?" He still wears the smile, but his tone does not say whether he is joking.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Toir

Once again the Dromite spreads it's mandibles wide in mockery of a grin and nods at Tell. It's antennae waving and bobbing comically as it does so.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

[OoC: if none of you are going to do anything different, and following Damblynge's advice, I'll assume you all are going to walk down across the gate together, at a prudent distance from each other, to get this moving.]

As you walk across the ancient gate, you can feel a chill wind blowing gently from behind you. The leaves on the tall, foreboding trees rustle with anticipation. Prydaran leads the way, followed by Vortiger and the thin cloaked man with the odd-looking dagger, which he has pulled out of sight. They eye each other carefuly. Tell and the Dromite follow last. Once the last of you is well clear of the gate, the screeching sound fills the mist-choked air once more, as the gates close of their own voilition and slam together with a cold, metallic CLANG.

@ Prydaran: you feel the cold crawl under your skin, making your neck and jaw tremble in spite of yourself. A memory half-remembered of something you'd rather not think about nips at the edges of your consciousness for one hair-tingling instant, and is then gone, just as the last echoes of the clanging gates fade into nothingness....

@ Vortiger: the cold bites at you and makes the hairs on the back of your neck and forearms stand on end. This sensation disappears almost immediately to give rise to a warm current of anger. Whoever tortures or harms an innocent will know your wrath...

[Tell, Toir, and Ellylles please roll spot checks]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

TOIR

At the sound of the gate crashing shut Toir spins in it's direction and then quickly scans his suroundings immediately on edge and wary of everyone and everything nearby.

Spot - (1d20+11)[23]
    Last edited by Timaoh; 2008-01-12 at 10:55 PM.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

Tell keeps his eye mostly on the strangers in front of him, but periodically he moves his head slightly to glance at his surroundings.

spot - (1d20+9)[18]

22. - Top - End - #22

Kobold

Prydaran

The gate opening before Prydaran touched it, startling him with the noise it made. Looking around he spied the Dromite as it approached the group and watched it's attempted communication.

Prydaran eyed the insectoid warily, then shrugged. He'd heard of insect races before, usually the stories were full of tales of bugs that destroyed towns, and ate everyone in sight, but at the moment this one didn't seem to be more than another traveler on the road. Naturally he wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be something more dangerous, but that would apply to any of these others as well.

As the gate closes Prydaran shudders, half pulling his longspear off his shoulder before dropping it back down. After a paused half step, he continues on the path his eyes watching ahead.
    Last edited by maktul; 2008-01-12 at 10:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateCaptain

Ellylles

As the sound of the gates crashing together reaches his ears Ellylles drops into a crouch and stares intently at the surrounding forest.

spot - (1d20+8)[12]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

The silence falls upon you once more, and as you stare, the mists seem to thicken in the direction of the gate, until only the faintest outline of its shape can be made out. If nothing else, the presence of the others is far more reassuring than staying out in the middle of nowhere in this bleak landscape. The mists swirl around you, now thickening to block your view, making the others look like shadows, now parting just long enough to allow you to see the road. The Forest is old, and dark. You continue down the road for about ten minutes, until the road starts describing a gradual descending turn.

Toir, Tell and Ellylles

Spoiler
    Show
    As you turn a bend in the road, you notice two shadowy forms in the mist, about 100 feet behind you. Their shape seems to be that of a large dog or other quadruped. After an instant, just as you are deciding what to do about them, they dart into the trees.

A long, distant sound is carried by the wind as you finish turning the bend in the road. At first, you mistake it for the sound of the wind through the thick undergrowth, until its persistence makes you realize that it is the long, low howl of a wolf somewhere behind you...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vortiger

As he walks form the gate Vortiger hardly even glances back the way he came. He has lengthened his step, trying to cover as much ground possible in as little time possible. His eyes are fixed forward, as if trying to penetrate the swirling mists with sheer force of will. He constantly fingers his weapons, and murmurs under his breath;
    No more fires, no more fires, no more fires... No more fires, no more fires, no more fires...

As the wolf howls he pauses momentarily, looking back with a gesture as if contemplating turning towards the sound. He then shrugs, and returns to his march.
    Last edited by Rockbird; 2008-01-13 at 08:40 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Kobold

Prydaran

Prydaran looks around as the wolf howl fades. "Now that's just creepy. First the, the, the gate," he stutters as he tries unsuccessfully to remember the sound as he talks, "then that howl, and these mists. It's just... odd."

He pulls his spear off his shoulder to carry it in both hands as they continue to move along the road.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

Tell smiles when he catches sight of the wolves. As Prydaran speaks he looks around, inhaling deeply of the fresh, moist forest air.

((I would normally assume that wolves won't attack human(oid)s. However, I am going to roll Survival to see if Tell picks up any sign to the contrary.

(1d20+13)[14] ))

28. - Top - End - #28

PirateCaptain

Ellylles

As the howling fades away Ellylles resumes his sauntering pace, seeming to almost drift over the ground with each step. The only visible change in his demeanor is his sharply pointed ears which twitch at every sound.
    Last edited by Damblynge; 2008-01-13 at 10:18 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    Tell

I would normally assume that wolves won't attack human(oid)s. However, I am going to roll Survival to see if Tell picks up any sign to the contrary.

[roll0]
    (OoC: for future reference, you should roll Knowledge (nature) in order to answer that question. You're welcome to try it again if you want. DM)
    Last edited by cintain; 2008-01-14 at 01:29 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

knowledge nature - (1d20+9)[24]