New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Lords of Steel

"Well that brings to mind a plethora of new questions. Where, when and what is this plane? Tell us what you know of your home, leave not a single fact out even if it is simple enough for a child to know. (this part is edited in) It seems a door has once again taken me to a foreign plane, and you all seem to not know where or what this is. All of us have been transported through magical means to a world an indifineable distance. This is not in your home town, fiefdom, country, continent, planet or possibly even plane. We have been cast into the cruel politiking of the gods."
    Last edited by DrakebloodIV; 2009-05-03 at 05:13 PM.
    I make avatars if you ask nicely.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Xylia

Xylia peeks at the blond man from behind Sir Aaron.

"Thpell, thpell," she mutters to herself, scratching the skin under her cap. "Daddy thaid Thpiderclimb wath not worth learning, but he didn't know about thith. I know, maybe, maybe..."

She remembers an enlarging spell she's prepared that morning. Should she cast in on herself she should grow to about eleven feet tall. With her staff, she would gain an additional eleven feet of reach. It should be enough to press against the trapdoor, get it open and take her uncle out with her.

Squinting at the rectangle of light above her, Xylia tries to guess how many feet above her it is.
    I'm in the Player Registry.

COMMISSIONS -- open; PM me for prices and details. Payments done via Paypal.

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Even at the highest points, such as where the trapdoor lies, the ceiling is not higher than fifteen feet from the ground.

The prisoner shakes his head wearily, then sighs and continues his explanation:
    "We are below the City of Steel. It is a prosperous city, since it has held against the sieges for centuries now. It is on one of the smaller cubes, and reinforcements for the besiegers only arrive in case of a collision. The palace of the Lords holds several stable portals, to sigil, the deper layers and a few of the other planes, which means the Lords made some money from trade. We have no proxies or powers, and should be grateful for it, I guess."
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #34

Morgan looks around for a pillar close to the trapdoor.

"If I can shimmy my way up a pillar I could pry it open with my lance..."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Aaron

To the Warlock, Sir Aaron replies: "I have not heard of the Vespucci Federation; neither am I familiar with this "Acheron". I fear some great and mischievous magic has brought us here. My name is Aaron."

At his niece's mention of spells, he sighs. "...I concede that, since magic brought us here, it might aid us in our escape. But Xylia, mark me: be careful!"

To the prisoner, he adds (with a softer, sympathetic tone): "Sir, what siege do you speak of? Who are these Steel Lords?"

Resigned to watching and waiting as the others plot their escape, Aaron begins to worry. A siege must mean war! The old Knight is familiar with conflict, of course, but Xylia... it wouldn't be right to keep her in this besieged city. He must leave with her as soon as possible.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Xylia

Xylia begins to fish in her spell components pouch for some powdered iron. As she does so, she says something about Aaron worrying to much, about the thin man worrying to much and about everyone else in the stinking corridor having the same problem as her companions.

Not wanting to use the spell on strangers and in too bad a mood to bestow it on her anxious uncle, Xylia targets herself. She spills glittering grey powder from a small vial she produced from her pouch into the air in a specific pattern. As she does so she begins to rasp out the incantation in a lispless arcane language. On her shoulder, her lizard familiar blinks and offers some hisses to the spell. They continue their chanting until Xylia begins to feel the magic pull of her body growing.

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

7. - Top - End - #37

Vargo

Vargo caustiously takes a step back as Xylia casts her spell. He isn't sure what is going on, and as comfortable as it is to have plenty of magic around, he hasn't had a chance to really assess her. He also has no idea as to what she is casting, and whether or not it is hostile.

He is relieved and slightly amused when she merely doubles in size, instead of tossing a fireball or something.

Still, he concentrates a moment, willing the magical auras of those surrounding him to reveal themselves. (detect magic!)
    Last edited by sum1won; 2009-05-03 at 10:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

"The Lords..."
    The man coughs again, spitting more blood on the floor.
    [COLOR="Red"]"The Lords rule the city. Few have ever seen them, I don't know what kind of creatures they are.
    There are of course speculations, Tiger-demons, Baatezu or Bloodsuckers, but no one knows for sure.
    And the city has been under siege since it was built. It is the nature of this plane. Goblins, orcs, dwarves, bladelings, even humans[. The attackers come and go, but the siege never ends."/COLOR]

As Xylia grows up, the can reach the door with her hands and push against it. First, it only shakes a little, sending another cloud of dust down, but after trying two more times, she manages to open a small gap between the trapdoor and the surrounding stone, letting in a faint shimmer of red light.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Xylia

Xylia puffs away the ticklish cloud of dust that forms when she opens the trap door.

"Tiger-demonth an' Baatethu," she repeats softly after the plagueman. "I think we're in the Hellth. Or thomewhere. Atheron, Atheron, do I know Atheron..."

When it dissipates, she stands on her tip-toes, bouncing, trying to peek over the narrow edge of the trap door and into the red-lit world beyond. Are there more people out there, she wonders. or is it nice and empty? Am I safe inside or in the strange outer world?

Either way, she hoped this place outside the corridor would have fresher air. She pushes against the stone door with both her arms, trying to dislodge it further and get a better chance of seeing something.

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

10. - Top - End - #40

Finally, Xylia manages to open the trapdoor wide enough to have a look through: there is a narrow corridor with stone walls and a brazier full of glowing coals providing the red light, but no one to be seen.

Xylia:
    Spoiler
    Show

Some facts about Acheron:
    Acheron is an outer plane, in alignment between lawful neutral and lawful evil, or between Mechanus and Baator.
    It consists of metallic cubes and shards flying through a black void, colliding with each other. On most of them, the petitioners of dead soldiers continue to fight their battles for eternity.
    Magic is changed on Acheron: necromancy has a tendency to backlash if the target is stronger than the caster and divinations tend to fail entirely. Also, spells often create the exact opposite of the intended effect simultaneously: a fire spell also creates ice somewhere nearby.

11. - Top - End - #41

Vargo

Vargo is pleased to have made progress, especially as it was a fellow caster who did it. Oh, I say! What a delightfully simple solution. It solves both the problems of reach and the weight of that barrier. Well done!Besides, it is never a foolish idea to flatter those who possess some measure of might. He then coughs at the falling dust, and asks.

What is it you see up there? Assuming there are no foes waiting to cleave at our heads, would you be willing to boost a few of us up, so that we in turn could lift you?
    Last edited by sum1won; 2009-05-04 at 11:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tanthalas

"Perhaps you should boost me up first? I can scout a bit, and tell you whether it is safe?" Tanthalas says from the darkness, as they discuss how to get out. "I do have some.... advantages in that area."
    Cool Valkyrie Avatar by Edwin!

13. - Top - End - #43

"I suggest you simply make haste to lift us all, take my mail up and then end the spell. The less time we spend with the plaguemen the less our risk of infection and the less retaliation we can expect from the local rulers.You wont be able to fit through the portal. I shall lower the rope I've made down to you once you dispell it." Turning now to the plagueman, Morgan begins speaking to him "I thank you for your assistance, without you we would most likely be in much graver peril than we are. I have little in the way of magic at my disposal, but if this plague is fatal I'm honor bound to bring what little comfort I can. A swift death is all reward I can offer"
    Last edited by DrakebloodIV; 2009-05-06 at 07:57 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tanthalas

"If you wish" Tanthalas concedes as Morgan argues with him, "But don't say I didn't warn you, when your head is smashed as it is pushed through the hole. If you wish, I will still go first. That is, if your 'manly pride' can handle it" He finishes with a smirk.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Xylia

The glow of pride Xylia feels when the warlock compliments dissipates as the thin man and ghoul begin to argue.

She looks at the bickering man and not-quite man, to the polite warlock and then at the old warrior. She looks at Sir Aaron beseechingly, that he tell her she doesn't need to lift anyone out but the old man and herself (and maybe the warlock, since he was nice and interesting).

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

Aaron

At Xylia's imploring glance, Aaron looks stern, thinks for a second, and suggests "Take the paladin and his armour first, then myself, then Vargo, and then our odd yellow-eyed friend here."

Aaron steps forward towards the thin man. "There'll be no killing yet, stranger. There's a good chance that when we get out of whatever hell this place turns out to be that there might be a cure for these poor souls. If there is no cure, then by all means offer them a swift death. Besides, killing them isn't going to make this place any more sanitary."

Looking up at Xylia, he smiles and adds "You've done well, my girl. Now make haste and help us out."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Xylia

Looking thoroughly unhappy, Xylia leans her enlarged quarterstaff against the wall. She crouches down towards Morgan after he's set aside his armor, with all the intent of lifting him up to the hole as she would a child.

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

18. - Top - End - #48

The prisoner looks up at Morgan, a confused look on his face.
    "I can't die here. The war is not over. I might have to fight again."
    Meanwhile, Xylia easily manages to move Morgan up, followed by his armour and the others.
    The corridor above the trapdoor is narrow, made from the same grey stone as the vault below, leading away in one direction, towards a stairway leading upwards.

19. - Top - End - #49

Vargo

Vargo pushes the trap door back over the pit. Now that they're out, there's no sense in leaving any more tracks than they have to. Besides, their hosts might not appreciate it.

Well, now, unless anyone sees any other way, may I suggest that we make our way up and out?

He gestures ahead, hoping someone else will lead the way. If they do, he will follow along a little further back.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Xylia

The young wizard ends her enlargement spell as she exits through the trapdoor. She shrinks with little problems, quarterstaff back in hand.

Xylia looks about the new narrow corridor, looking for any symbols on the walls that may give her a clue as to what part of Acheron she may be in or what creatures live here. She walks down the edge of the corridor with little heed for the warlock's cautious words, running a hand over the stone, hoping to find something --anything-- interesting.

Blogs:
    Dungeons and Drawings
    Escape Complex (website)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tanthalas

Tanthalas steps forward. "Allow me to go first. I have some ability to remain undetected, and I have many immunities due to my... condition that help protect me." With that he sets off down the hallway, stealthily, keeping a wary eye and ear out for danger.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

Aaron

Mildly unsettled by the way Tanthalas moves, Sir Aaron nevertheless follows suit, a ways behind him. He motions for Xylia to keep close, positioned so that she is kept safe at the center of the group.

23. - Top - End - #53

The corridor walls are entirely featureless, giving no hint as to your position, but at least they are delicately crafted, the blocks put together nearly seamlessly.
    Tanthalas sneaks ahead, no sound indicating his presence. Holding himself in the shadows between the rare few braziers, he reaches a corner, just above the stairs where a guard is standing watch, his back to the stairs, apparently not noticing the ghoul behind him.
    The man carries leather armor and a heavy spear, as well as a closed helmet hiding his face.

24. - Top - End - #54

Morgan dons his armor as the others go sneaking ahead, he then stalks his way towards the others, sneaking as best he can in the heavy mail and only reaching the corner before stopping.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tanthalas sneaks up behind the guard and quietly bites his exposed neck, allowing his paralyzing saliva to go to work.

26. - Top - End - #56

The guard turns stiff like a plank of wood as the ghoul's bite pierces his skin, dropping his weapon to the floor with a loud clang.

27. - Top - End - #57

Morgan, upon hearing the thump of the man hitting the floor, spun out from behind the corner and sprinted toward the fallen man. Morgan kicked the spear back toward the corner. He then cast aside his shield and pointed his hand toward the unconcious guard. His hand glowed with dark power, crackling like a fire. He growled to the others "Nobody touch him. We need him alive.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tanthalas

Tanthalas glares at the Morgan, "Why do you think I only paralyzed him?" He hisses, "Of course we need him alive. I could have torn his throat out, but I did not, so do not lecture me, paladin."

29. - Top - End - #59

Vargo

Vargo motions at Morgan. Get back! Do you forget that we weren't exactly invited in? Now, do we question him, toss him in the pit, or simply continue onwards until we find somewhere to blend in?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

Aaron

Making an admirable attempt at suppressing his distaste for the Ghoul , Aaron examines the unconscious body, hoping to discern at least his race and searching for some clue as to who the guard works for.

"Our greatest weakness is not our capability to fight, evidently, but our lack of information on this place. Let us question him. We need to find how to get out of here, wherever this is, and reach some form of civilisation again."
    Last edited by unsummon; 2009-05-15 at 01:24 PM.