New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GitP WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne group (thread II)

And reminder again: Tomorrow is our next melee session. Hope to see you there.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

2. - Top - End - #722
    Halfling in the Playground

Melee is the only way to go... I can't stand 97% of customs.

Friends of mine:
    Spoiler
    Show

--------------
    Dentrag2
    Admiral Squish
    --------------

You can call me 9bit for short.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Orc in the Playground

If you want to melee with us you can join us on sundays, friday is our custom day. We try and choose the better maps of the ones available. We also try to avoid maps that people in the group dislike Though our group is so large and map taste so diverse that sometimes compromise is the only option.

-UGNG
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    It's not depressing, it's the playground.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would start working on my little custom map projects again, I think they're pretty fun and unique, but I'm enjoying this vacation way too much to be really productive. I can go outside and exercise again! Or down to the beach!

Maybe after the first month of bliss is over I'll get back into it, or sooner. Wow, there are still almost three months to go.

5. - Top - End - #725

I'll try playing melee with you guys.

Friends of mine:
    Spoiler
    Show

--------------
    Dentrag2
    Admiral Squish
    --------------

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

Well then Welcome to the group Callibretto! I shall enjoy killingplaying with you in 5 days

And whats funny is I'm saying this AND am one of the worst melee'ers here

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

Alright! Welcome to the group, Calibretto! I hope you'll find it comfy here!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

8. - Top - End - #728

I'm insane at human... So prepare yourselves.

Friends of mine:
    Spoiler
    Show

--------------
    Dentrag2
    Admiral Squish
    --------------

9. - Top - End - #729
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callibretto View Post
    I'm insane at human... So prepare yourselves.
    Better hope you actually know what you're talking about, or we'll be quoting this later to bug you.
    Just another souless construct out for world peace and harmony.

Campaign Setting- The Slow Death

Auron Avatar courtesy of Ink.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds promising! Greatly looking forward to a 1v1, then.

(to state my own credentials, I win about two thirds of the games I play solo, and I've managed to take down people who ended up in the top 200 of the solo ladder in the past, even though I never play frequently enough to make it that far myself )
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

11. - Top - End - #731
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Sounds promising! Greatly looking forward to a 1v1, then.

(to state my own credentials, I win about two thirds of the games I play solo, and I've managed to take down people who ended up in the top 200 of the solo ladder in the past, even though I never play frequently enough to make it that far myself )
    Hands off, he's mine.

Also, going to be there on Friday for once.

and as I know you read this thread, sorry Eve. >.>
    trill in da playground

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

So, here's your weekly reminder: Tomorrow is our next custom map session.

Due to visiting my parents again, I won't be able to participate (no WC3-capable computer available to me), but as always, I'll be back in time for the melee session on Sunday.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

13. - Top - End - #733
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    So, here's your weekly reminder: Tomorrow is our next custom map session.

Due to visiting my parents again, I won't be able to participate (no WC3-capable computer available to me), but as always, I'll be back in time for the melee session on Sunday.
    On my way home, I was thinking "Hey, I don't get to come to sessions very often, so at least Winter should be there, and a decent number of people will come!"

I hate you.
    trill in da playground

14. - Top - End - #734

I think it'd be nice if we could really arrange to have a CfG or SWAT game one of these days. I'm not terribly interested in trying pubby games again (or at least not trying it alone) and the whole SWAT community appears to work differently (or ionno, maybe they all just play obscenely late).

15. - Top - End - #735
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
    I think it'd be nice if we could really arrange to have a CfG or SWAT game one of these days. I'm not terribly interested in trying pubby games again (or at least not trying it alone) and the whole SWAT community appears to work differently (or ionno, maybe they all just play obscenely late).
    QFT and also for making me play all those terrible AoS type maps...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    It's not depressing, it's the playground.

16. - Top - End - #736

Eh, I don't think it matters much exactly who goes in, or what reasonable time it happens, I just want to play those games again sometime.

... Maybe pubby games are the best option, regardless of their usually bad manners.

edit: Paradoxically, due to vacation schedule, my weekends are the busiest.
    Last edited by nooblade; 2010-06-06 at 11:09 AM.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

And reminder: Tomorrow is our next melee session. Looking forward to seeing you all there!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

We really need to find something lasting to discuss. I mean we can't keep letting winter be the only one to post every week. Now what to discuss.... um.... nevermind..

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there was this attempt by RC and yourself to incite discussion by posting replays of your games.

Of which I still need to comment most.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2010-06-09 at 12:41 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

(Phew, almost forgot that. )

Reminder: Tomorrow is our next custom map session. Hope to see you all there!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

21. - Top - End - #741
    Orc in the Playground

yes; i wonder whats going to interrupt my attendance this time.

i hope it doesnt have anything to do with being attacked by burning lizards; im just getting the smell out of the carpet.
    current excuse for incoherence: heat

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

And reminder: Tomorrow is our next melee session. I hope to see you all there!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

23. - Top - End - #743

So, in Undead Assault 2, I have 23,000 rank experience. That's enough for Forward Observer (which I'm just a little bit disappointed with, but eh), half again away from Heavy Support, and I'd have to quadruple it it for Detachment Commander. I got most of this experience by soloing through Survival and completing it in "-rifle" mode.

But now I'm trying to figure out how to solo through Umbrella mode. Unless someone wants to join me?

Spoiler
    Show
    Suddenly, the game isn't really about fighting the zombie guys, they're pretty easy (actually toned down from the normal game) unless you're fighting the Umbs alongside them. The Umbrella units which are constantly spawned will fight zombies too, so you can often leave them alone together (and still get exp from their kills!), only popping out when necessary.

This is nice because the enemy soldiers are rough (at least solo). They can attack you whenever you can attack them, and they move in squads of 3 to 10 or more, with (seems like) at least two squads on the map at a time. Plus, whenever one Umb sees you, they all attack-move to that location. Umbs all have "light filters", so you can't hide from them with a cloak like with the Ghost or Scout Recon.

The only way to really beat the Umbrellas is to make sure that you see them without them seeing you, which is accomplished in two ways: flare guns (which daze, can be a class ability), ground flares (which persist), binoculars or cameras (class abilities), flashlight items (which change the unit sight range), or a height advantage from terrain. This makes the whole game very happy with the camping, you'll probably want to stick with your height advantage for as much of the game as possible. There's an advantage for gun range versus sight range, which makes the sight-increasing abilities helpful when a cliff isn't an option, but it always seems kinda short (maybe because of the zoom out). All the other abilities require constant attention to detect incoming Umbs when height isn't available. It's relatively safe to run back to a direction that you came from without checking first, though.

Tanking is pretty much suicidal unless you have a Flamethrower MOS with lots of skill in the Plasma Shield ability (which gives near 100 armor, enough to survive one of the grenade abilities, I guess, Umbs don't use them too much). Cyborgs have more hitpoints, but only maybe twice as much as a typical MOS, also requiring skillpoints, which is only a bit helpful. It's really neat how the Navy Corpsman can have Blood Transfusion on constantly for healing over time (it also restores mana), but the other heal (with an activation delay) tends to be a little slow when I'm being shot at. All kinds of grenades are helpful (Umbs try to run out of range of them, often don't make it).

More spoiler later, interested?

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure I'll try it with you some. I can be on a lot probably over the next few days before I start my calculus class. So if you need to get me I am normally on skype/xfire/msn msngr. If you can't get me on any of those send me a PM and we can figure something out.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Reminder: Our custom map session is tomorrow!

Also, I'll be gone from Saturday till Thursday, hence no reminder for the melee session (and I won't be able to come to it, either). My apologies.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

26. - Top - End - #746
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hey, I'm a WoW player, but I love WC3. I haven't played all of it, nor have I played DotA. However I have a question.

In the new WoW expansion Cataclysm, one of the new raids they are releasing at launch is War of the Ancients, via the Caverns of Time (time travel cavern).
    Now maybe I heard wrong, but is DotA based on the War of the Ancients? Or is there another scenario in WC3 that covers off the plot for War of the Ancients?

Also, has anyone read the WotA book series? Any good?
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

27. - Top - End - #747
    Orc in the Playground

it was not displayed in WC3 and i dont think DOTA has a plot, but i can tell you that the book is crap without even reading it.

that doesnt mean you wont enjoy it, it just means its unlikely and you should feel a great deal of shame if you do.
    Last edited by 742; 2010-06-18 at 01:10 AM.
    current excuse for incoherence: heat

28. - Top - End - #748
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Hey, I'm a WoW player, but I love WC3. I haven't played all of it, nor have I played DotA. However I have a question.

In the new WoW expansion Cataclysm, one of the new raids they are releasing at launch is War of the Ancients, via the Caverns of Time (time travel cavern).
    Now maybe I heard wrong, but is DotA based on the War of the Ancients? Or is there another scenario in WC3 that covers off the plot for War of the Ancients?

Also, has anyone read the WotA book series? Any good?
    DotA does not really have a plot beyond the most basic "The Night Elves and Scourge hate each other and are fighting," It does have back stories for its individual heroes but few if any are even from the WarCraft mythos.

Have not read the book series, though, nor do I have an answer to your question, sorry. :(

29. - Top - End - #749

From what I gather in the tidbits of the Warcraft 3 manual:

If there's a Scourge, then there can't be a War of the Ancients, because there wasn't a Scourge (as far as I know) until the War3 plot came along. "War of the Ancients" I figure was pretty much invented to bring in the Night Elf race in Warcraft 3 (the demons, their opponents in that war, were probably already the main antagonists in War3 at that point in development (the manual really kinda spoiled the plot about there being demons, I think it was supposed to be a surprise, in hindsight, but the manual pretty much spells out who they are and where they come from)), and it's supposed to have taken place very much before the Orcs invaded Azeroth in the first war.

Overall, it was very much more disappointing to read about compared to the good old "Orcs and Humans" battles. Maybe the books did better, maybe not, I don't care to give it another shot.

Also, I'm having some trouble making it to our events, my apologies.
    Last edited by nooblade; 2010-06-18 at 03:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #750

Alright, so I have a friend who has an issue:

He can install the games just fine, and can log in once, but if he tries to exit out and log in again it says he doesn't have any disk space. He has over at least 50 GB free, from what he says.

EDIT: Issue has been resolved, but I apparently have been banned from the eastern realm temporarily. (I have a couple of theories, but I really don't think I did anything wrong)

EDIT THE SEQUEL: Seems not to be a ban after going on the forums, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Hopefully I have this solved by Friday.
    Last edited by TFT; 2010-06-24 at 02:18 AM.
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.