New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GitP WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne group (thread II)

I've been pretty sick for the last day or two, so I may or may not come to the session today, and if I do I'll probably leave early. Unless something goes horribly and unexpectedly wrong I should definitely be able to come on Sunday, though.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, I might be able to attend today's round, but only like at 4:30 or something like that. I will put myself online Skype when I am around, send me an invite to the chat when you are setting up a round.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

And reminder once more - tomorrow is our melee session. Hope to see you there, too.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

4. - Top - End - #964
    Orc in the Playground

I'd love to come, but there's this thing. It's, uh, called "life". She's a cruel mistress but sometimes you just can't say "no". My apologies guys.

-UGNG
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    It's not depressing, it's the playground.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, phew, almost forgot to post it - tomorrow's our next custom map session! Hope you all come!

Whether I can come myself, I'm not entirely sure yet. Might be I'll be going to visit my parents (where I have no WC3-capable computer).

...it's late and I'm rather tired, so my apologies for not sending out the reminder PMs today.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2011-02-17 at 06:07 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

6. - Top - End - #966
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show

By Akrim.elf

By Balmas

Greatest nonsensical poem ever= Lewis Carroll: Jabberwocky

Officially WoodzyOwl, the Owlwoodsiest Owl of the Owlwood Woods, Keeper of the Wooden Owlwood Owl

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

And reminder: Tomorrow is our next melee session. Hope to see you all there.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ettin in the Playground

Question about undead:

The usual build order is item shop/graveyard/ziggurats/ crypt right?
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    Question about undead:

There's an altar in there somewhere.
    trill in da playground

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anatharon View Post
    There's an altar in there somewhere.
    *facepalm*

Oh yeah, that.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

Question about undead:

No, it's not.

The usual build order for fiends is:
    - Crypt and graveyard simultaneously. You want a crypt as soon as possible so you can get more ghouls for lumber collection (and will need it for units anyway), and as for the graveyard, you need it for fiends, and it takes a long while to finish, so best to start it early. Before starting the buildings, order another accolyte to be built and send the accolytes to the mine and the ghoul for lumber.
    - Second accolyte. As soon as you can afford it after starting the two aforementioned buildings. You need your gold supply up as soon as possible. Do not build another accolyte; you don't lose out on much gold by pulling out an accolyte from the mine and sending it back, and this one point of supply will screw you up royally.
    - Altar. You need a hero out as soon as possible; that you push it back so far is just to ensure you will be able to have fiends to support that hero right away.
    - Ziggurath. You will need more supply, fast, as soon as the altar finishes; you build it after the altar because the altar takes longer to finish, so by starting it now you ensure they finish almost simultaneously. Place it right between the necropolis and the gold mine, that's the best spot for it.
    - One ghoul for lumber. This is the moment your crypt will finish, so you can get one more ghoul for lumber, which has priority over further buildings. Get only one for now, it will suffice.
    - Item shop. Starting it now, it will finish long before your hero (and you don't need it any sooner than when your hero comes out).
    - Hero and first crypt fiend, as soon as your ziggurath finishes. Where hero pretty much defaults to Death Knight with Death Coil, unless you're going for something wacky.
    - If you are up against an Orc, an Undead or a Random player, morph the Ziggurath to a Nerubian Tower. If they decide to harrass you and you don't do that, you will inevitably lose workers.
    - Order a second Ziggurath.
    - Order a second fiend. You will now be at 20/20. That's why you don't want a sixth Accolyte; if you got it, you'd be stuck at 18/20 and would have to wait for the Ziggurath to finish until you could get a second fiend.
    - This will be the moment when your hero finishes. Buy a Rod of Necromancy from your shop. If you are up against a Night Elf or have already seen a Blademaster, get Dust of Appearance as well. Use the Rod to summon skeletons at your Graveyard. Go creep something green with your hero, your first fiends and the skeletons. Order your crypt to send new units to your hero.
    - Once your second ziggurath finishes, order a third fiend.

This would have been the start of the fiend build order which you would do no matter what you want to do next, whether to tech or mass. I generally go for tech (because I find it more interesting and generally speaking less risky). The build order for that is:

- About now you will have 220 lumber (or soon). As soon as you do, order your Necropolis to upgrade to Halls of the Dead.
    - Order a fourth fiend. You will be at 26/30 supply now.
    - Order a third Ziggurath, and while it is being built, reset your Crypt's rally point to the forest and order two Ghouls (so you will be at 30/30, until the Ziggurath finishes. This is the second reason why you don't want a sixth accolyte.). Once you reach T2 (i.e., once your Necropolis finishes upgrading), you will need more lumber, so get the Ghouls now.
    - While waiting for the Ziggurath to finish, your resources will accumulate a bit. Use this to order your first upgrade for your fiends. I usually go with the attack upgrade.
    - Once the Ziggurath finishes, reset your Crypt's rally point to your hero and start ordering more fiends. Get the other upgrade for your fiends, and order another Ziggurath.
    - When your Necropolis finishes upgrading, your first priorities are getting a Lich and getting Burrow for your fiends.

That's for crypt fiends, mind. If you want to go for ghouls, the build order is quite different (starting with altar/crypt, and following with ziggurath, shop, mass ghouls, ziggurath, more ghouls). I'd recommend using fiends for now though; it's much easier to get used to, and in team games you don't really want ghouls because of how much AoE damage is to be expected.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

12. - Top - End - #972
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just to let you know guys, my computer kinda died and I had to sent it back to MSI for repairs, so the bot won't be available in the channel for 2 weeks or so.

Same for me, won't be able to come to sessions (but I was only making rare appearances in custom session anyway )
    Cynan

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

So, reminder, tomorrow is our next custom map session. I hope you all come in great numbers.

I will be off to that visit to my parents that I didn't make last week, so I won't be able to show up, but I hope you all have lots of fun.

EDIT (26th February): And reminder again, tomorrow is our next melee session. I'll be back by then, so I hope to see you all there.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

14. - Top - End - #974

So, due to the pool of 4-player melee maps we have getting a little stagnant, I've been giving some thought to making one or two of the things myself.

This is all still hypothetical, but I was thinking of doing one of two things. I can make either:

-A perfectly normal 4p melee map with no custom data of any kind, using only creeps, items and mechanics currently found in melee
    -A 4p map that uses melee races and tech trees as normal, but with custom (either entirely new or a mix of new and old) creeps, items and maybe even overall map mechanics such as special terrain types that affect units on top of them.

Normally, I would immediately go for the latter option, but that has the downsides of being potentially confusing for players who are used to the established mechanics, dramatically changing the available or useful strategies for each race and possibly screwing up the racial balance.

No guarantees on anything yet, but if I were to start this project, which might you guys prefer?

15. - Top - End - #975

I always like change. Anything to shake up strategies is nice, as it gives me a more level playing field to compete with those who've played for longer. My mechanics are decent, but my build orders, for example, are weak.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Zergling View Post
    So, due to the pool of 4-player melee maps we have getting a little stagnant, I've been giving some thought to making one or two of the things myself.

This is all still hypothetical, but I was thinking of doing one of two things. I can make either:

-A perfectly normal 4p melee map with no custom data of any kind, using only creeps, items and mechanics currently found in melee
    -A 4p map that uses melee races and tech trees as normal, but with custom (either entirely new or a mix of new and old) creeps, items and maybe even overall map mechanics such as special terrain types that affect units on top of them.

Normally, I would immediately go for the latter option, but that has the downsides of being potentially confusing for players who are used to the established mechanics, dramatically changing the available or useful strategies for each race and possibly screwing up the racial balance.

No guarantees on anything yet, but if I were to start this project, which might you guys prefer?
    I like the idea of the second, but in practice I would probably never be able to attend because Sunday is starting to become a bad day for me to attend stuff.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

I'd also say, go with the latter. Don't introduce something that completely dominates the way the game is being played and totally skews the dynamic into some direction (I'm specifically thinking of island maps here, which do just that; don't do that), but things like terrain that has special effects etc. sounds like a very nice diversifying change.

I like the idea of the second, but in practice I would probably never be able to attend because Sunday is starting to become a bad day for me to attend stuff.
    Awww...
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

18. - Top - End - #978

Alright, thanks for your input, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    I'd also say, go with the latter. Don't introduce something that completely dominates the way the game is being played and totally skews the dynamic into some direction (I'm specifically thinking of island maps here, which do just that; don't do that), but things like terrain that has special effects etc. sounds like a very nice diversifying change.
    Yeah; I was just going to go for things like shallow water reducing movement speed and stuff like that. I'm probably going to go for a Sunken Ruins map because the tileset is so pretty and it has a lot of potential for creeps and items and mechanics and stuff.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, thanks for your input, guys.

Yeah; I was just going to go for things like shallow water reducing movement speed and stuff like that. I'm probably going to go for a Sunken Ruins map because the tileset is so pretty and it has a lot of potential for creeps and items and mechanics and stuff.
    The obvious answer is add Naga as a race. Their hero options would be Royal Guards.
    trill in da playground

20. - Top - End - #980

I wonder if you could apply some gradient math to movement speed so that it's slower to go up a hill, so that putting towers or ranged units on a hill makes them more effective, or so that you can really control an engagement when your forces are charging downward. Although that would normally go quite a bit deeper in the game engine. And maybe the changes wouldn't be universally desired. Yeah, it's not really feasible or marketable, but I still want it.

I *might* be getting something that can play Warcraft 3 sometime soonish. This free computer has been delayed for months now. Not that I'm suffering from poor time management or boredom or anything, but it'd be nice to do a couple of fun simulated war kinds of things again.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds great, nooblade!

Also, reminder: Tomorrow is our next custom map session. I have a bit little time today, so my apologies for not sending out the reminder PMs this time.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

22. - Top - End - #982
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
    I wonder if you could apply some gradient math to movement speed so that it's slower to go up a hill, so that putting towers or ranged units on a hill makes them more effective, or so that you can really control an engagement when your forces are charging downward. Although that would normally go quite a bit deeper in the game engine. And maybe the changes wouldn't be universally desired. Yeah, it's not really feasible or marketable, but I still want it.
    Someone's been taking a few too many multi-variable calculus courses... I think that would be awesome, but I'm not sure Warcraft is built for that.

-UGNG
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    It's not depressing, it's the playground.

23. - Top - End - #983

Quote Originally Posted by u-gotNOgame View Post
    Someone's been taking a few too many multi-variable calculus courses... I think that would be awesome, but I'm not sure Warcraft is built for that.
    As far as I can tell, you could just make high ground and low ground give different buffs (Through use of Auras, I guess?), with units with the High Ground buff dealing more and/or taking less damage from units with the Low Ground buff. You could probably include several levels if you wanted to. No multi-variable calculus required, just simple logic statements.

24. - Top - End - #984

Quote Originally Posted by DCGFTW View Post
    As far as I can tell, you could just make high ground and low ground give different buffs (Through use of Auras, I guess?), with units with the High Ground buff dealing more and/or taking less damage from units with the Low Ground buff. You could probably include several levels if you wanted to. No multi-variable calculus required, just simple logic statements.
    Yeah, that would work just fine. Instead of auras, you could also just put regions everywhere and spawn dummy units that cast buffs on units inside of them; either way would be rather fiddly, though, unless plateaus were perfectly square or round, because auras are always circular and regions are always square.

WC3 also has, built-in, a miss chance for units firing up cliffs. By default I believe it's 25%, but it can easily be changed to anything from 0-100%.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

However, either of those would modify your movement (or whichever other properties one might choose) depending on where one was, rather than how one was moving. With these solutions, a unit in the middle layer, for example, would always move at the same speed; what Nooblade wanted, the way I understood him, was for a unit to move faster when moving downhill and slower when moving uphill, even as they both passed each other at the same altitude.

I think the way to do this would be to just spawn an invisible dummy unit for every regular unit and have them cast buffs that increased or decreased movement speed once every 0.5s, or so; calculating the gradient alongside which the units were traveling should be doable, assuming triggers can retrieve the altitude of the ground for any given point on the map. Which I think they can. The bigger problem I see is that, for any bigger number of units, I am not sure at all if the engine would be able to handle it; you'd have to calculate the movement gradient for every single unit in the game, twice a second (more often if you want it to adjust more smoothly; I'm not sure 0.5s is enough for that).
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2011-03-04 at 06:35 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

26. - Top - End - #986

Yeah.

I'm pretty sure that the engine could handle it, assuming that the rest of the game is a melee match. In the fireball demo that I wrote and tested, there were 2 dozen trigonometry calculations, collision detections, and forced movements at a rate of 50 per second, and the result really looked like the units received a move order. Less than 0.02 looked really choppy there, but it might work here.

Also, I got a little disillusioned with dummy casting in the time I spent with editing. Creating a unit is the slowest thing that the warcraft engine can do, so I'd prefer to avoid it, or at least have dedicated dummies that don't get destroyed when possible. If I were to do it, I think I would use addbuff (UnitAddAbility technically, in the editor, but applied with an ability in a way that it gives a status condition maybe with some effect and the little icon too--I call that addbuff) to indicate that movement speed changes are taking place and then modify the units themselves. Or another option is to have only one debuff for moving uphill. I used addbuff and removebuff for the "burn" condition that's applied when a fireball hits (and required a little logic in the case of being hit by another fireball while still burning) and it worked great. Those were fun times and I think a valuable method of using the editor.

The real problem would be the terrain map and the gradient there. The whole thing might work for a very simple circular hill, maybe even without much math. If you move tangentially to the circle or away from it or at some small angle to the inside, then there's no debuff. It would just be trig. Maybe you look up the result in a table before applying changes if you want really variable movement speed. The result might turn into a "King of the Hill" custom map (maybe make it warcrafty somehow by adding heroes). But with complex maps you'd have to rip the terrain out, analyze it with lots of gradient math in a program, stuff the results in a matrix, and manipulate that thing from inside the editor. But if it is possible, then it has the advantage of doing most of the gradient calculations beforehand.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
    Also, I got a little disillusioned with dummy casting in the time I spent with editing. Creating a unit is the slowest thing that the warcraft engine can do, so I'd prefer to avoid it, or at least have dedicated dummies that don't get destroyed when possible.
    I didn't mean the dummy unit should be destroyed; I meant one should create a dummy unit for each real unit as soon as the real unit spawned, and keep the dummy unit around until the real unit died.

But your solution is way better anyway.

Also, reminder: Tomorrow is our next melee session! Hope to see you all there.

EDIT: Urgh... sorry for not showing up. I got kinda entangled in a massive SC2 session with my RL friends who just wouldn't let me go.

EDIT (10th March): And reminder: Tomorrow is our next custom map session. Hope to see you all there!

EDIT (12th March): Phew, almost forgot to post this: Reminder, tomorrow is our next melee session. Hope to see you all there, again!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

28. - Top - End - #988
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

All of those in the US are currently going onto Daylight Savings Time tonight.
    So keep that in mind if we are early/late to the session.
    Game IDs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam ID: LibertarianSDR
    Classic Bnet: Libertarian_SDR

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

It stays 4 PM for you nonetheless; it's us foreigners who have to adjust and come one hour earlier.

Thanks for telling me, I'd definitely been late otherwise. Not sure I'll manage on time anyway, but at least now I have a fighting chance.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

30. - Top - End - #990

That computer I mentioned is here and I have the necessary things set up. I should be able to join you on Friday, barring disaster or forgetfulness, but I have a few duties before then. But my Fridays and Sundays have usually been open. But if I get too bored with the maps you're playing, I'm probably going to want to fiddle with the editor more.

The new box is nice. It has more engineering software than the computers at school. Also I might get used to playing Warcraft 3 at maximum graphical settings. It looks good, I guess? I'm more interested in seeing if some editor operations are running more smoothly, like how changing names or deleting some objects would cause an unusual strain.