New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default HLA: Adumbration vs. Talic

The arena, a massive Colliseum built in a powerful archmage's private demiplane looms around you. Thousands of people wearing the special goggles that will allow them to see the combatants even through illusions, defences or brick walls and terrain features so as not to miss a single moment of action applaud excitedly when the Archmage himself teleports you in the prearranged positions within the empty field.

Having checked you for possible illegal magics, substances or other preparations, the old man in his black robe and cowl now manipulates the arena's phantasmal terrain, making it assume one of the prearranged configurations randomly. The area around you flickers through several different environments under the seven-color gleam of an impenetrable shield that surrounds it; a hundred feet tall and ten times as wide, the barrier prevents both external interference and you from leaving until the fight is done.

1d6 for preparation (1-2 no prep, 3-4 one round, 5 two rounds, 6 three rounds)
    1d6 for time (1-3 day, 4-6 night)
    1d8 for arena type (empty, plains, space, aquatic, forest, volcano, rural, swamp)
    1d6 for winds (1-2 still, 3-4 breeze, 5 strong, 6 hurricane)
    1d6 for weather (1-2 calm, clouds, mist, rain, frost)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: HLA: Adumbration vs. Talic

(1d6)[2] --> No prep.
    (1d6)[6] --> Night.
    (1d8)[1] --> Empty.
    (1d6)[3] --> Breeze.
    (1d6)[4] --> Rain.

Let's see what the conditions are.
    Last edited by Adumbration; 2009-05-16 at 01:33 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Initiative:
    (1d20+18)[23]

Stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's see those binding checks:

(1d20+27)[28]
    (1d20+27)[42]
    (1d20+27)[35]

Vestiges:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zcaryll, Orthos, Haures. Chupoclops and Halphax in vestige phylacteries. Pact augmentation allocated to initiative.

Last edited by Adumbration; 2009-05-16 at 01:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Initiative: (1d20+8)[18]

Spoilers offlimits, unless noted otherwise; for example. if I put in a spoiler with the heading "OOC/Fluff", you're welcome to look in. "Mechanics"? Probably not. "My turn"? Certainly not.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

No visibility to my current character.

If you are possessed of both a light source that extends 120 feet and a See invisibility or stronger effect, then you do see my character.

My character currently has no visibility of you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

It appears that I start.

If you have darkvision to 120 ft and you're not ethereal:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You see Jerodan, what appears to be a half-dragon halfling with great wings and extensive magical gear, summon (1d3+1)[4] winged creatures. Knowledge (the Planes) check DC 17 to know that they are
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avorals.

Then the creatures appear to use magic of some sort, and then they and Jerodan move to a distance of 65 ft.

My turn:
    Spoiler
    Show

Jerodan uses Extended Empowered Summon Alien ability of Zcaryll to summon Pseudonatural Avorals. This is a standard action, as all vestige abilities that don't specify a longer casting time. After I've discovered how many there are, I'll edit in their precise actions.

Avoral 1 casts See Invisibility on Jerodan.

Avoral 2 casts See Invisibility on Avoral 1.

Avoral 3 casts See Invisibility on Avoral 2.

Avoral 4 readies an action to Lay on Hands Jerodan if he takes damage.

Then they all and Jerodan move to a distance of 65 ft from Talic's character's starting point.

Let me know if your character moves. And his intelligence score, while you're at it.

Reason:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zcaryll grants Telepathy and the Mindsight feat.

Round done. I think.
    Last edited by Adumbration; 2009-05-16 at 02:13 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Before I reveal that information, I need to know a few things.
    1) Does your ability have line of effect across planar boundaries?
    2) Does it function on subjects immune to mind-affecting abilities?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

1) I'm not 100% sure. It detects minds, not physical presence, so it would be logical that it could, but it does not specify anything in it's description.
    2) The ability is not specified as Mind-affecting.

Since the chances that Belial will show up soon and clarify this are small, I might say that the ability is Telepathy and Mindsight feat.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot couple words from that sentence. Added in italic.
    Last edited by Adumbration; 2009-05-16 at 03:09 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Effects don't affect other planes unless they specifically say they do (examples include See Invisibility, True Seeing, and Force effects. All three explicitly state they can affect/detect the ethereal plane from the prime).

As it's not mind-affecting (odd?), then when I cross over to the prime, I'll begin providing your information.

My Turn:
    If you have darkvision/a light effect to my starting location, as well as See invisibility/true seeing/something of that nature, this is visible to you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A ghostly human stands in the distance, barely visible through the rain. He's holding what appears to be a short metallic rod in one hand, and is wearing several pieces of magical gear.

Begin holding a Rod.
    Free Action: (spellcraft DC 23 to ID)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Quickened Haste

Move forward 30 feet and up 30 feet.
    Standard: Cast (Spellcraft DC 23):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Superior Invisibility.

If the effect allowing you to see me is See Invisibility, you lose sight of me. If it is True seeing, you keep a visual.

Done.

EDIT: Please note, if you are within 60 feet of me, and are not invisible, I see you. I have Darkvision, and vision from ethereal plane to material extends to a maximum of 60 feet.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-16 at 03:20 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I happened to read your post before you fixed the spoilers, unfortunately, but in a way it's a good thing, since the only thing that was visible does effect - the movement. As you move forwards, you see Jerodan and 4 winged creatures not far from you, Knowledge (the Planes) DC 17 to recognize:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avorals.

At the start of your turn, the distance between Jerodan and your character was 65 feet. I can't remember exact details how far you moved, but he has See Invisibility and Darkvision, and he just moved into that zone. Will you reveal exact details? I don't want to go digging into your spoilers.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

30 feet forward, 30 feet up. This puts you 35 feet ahead of me, and 30 feet down.

I then cast spells.

Spellcraft DC 23 for the quickened spell:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Haste

Spellcraft DC 23 for the non-quickened spell:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Superior Invisibility

Based on the effects listed by you, after casting the second spell, he vanishes.

And I knew I was forgetting something... Knowledge skills! LOL.

I am, however, possessed of enough spellcraft to pass a DC 25 Spellcraft on a roll of 1, so announce spells if the identify DC is under that.

EDIT: While I don't know the creatures, can you be more specific? Winged creatures covers everything from Hawk familiars to Wyverns to Balor to Rocs.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-16 at 03:28 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

The creatures are humanoids, with white wings, talons for feet, and no hands - apart from small ones within the wings.

Their spellcraft checks to recognize spells - they will verbally inform Jerodan if they recognize them:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spell 1:
    (1d20+12)[16]
    (1d20+12)[20]
    (1d20+12)[17]
    (1d20+12)[17]

Spell 2:
    (1d20+12)[18]
    (1d20+12)[21]
    (1d20+12)[24]
    (1d20+12)[14]

Posting my round afterwards.

EDIT: Second spell identified, first not.
    Last edited by Adumbration; 2009-05-16 at 03:34 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Well, white wings means good, by the standard tropology. As my character is not genre saavy, he's not possessed of that knowledge.

Spellcraft checks mean they're intelligent.
    Knowledge (the planes) limits that to angels and celestials.

While my character doesn't know, I think I have an idea of what you may have brought in.

Edit: Second Spell is Invisibility, Superior, from Spell Copmpendium.
    Blocks detection from all natural senses except touch, as well as Blindsight, Blindsense, Tremorsense, and Scent. Persists through attack. Trumps most detection means, including Faerie Fire, See invisibility, and the like. Beaten by True seeing.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-16 at 03:41 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Since I'm visible to you now...

Actions of winged creatures:

#1: Appears to concentrate hard on something. Spellcraft can not identify this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Concentrate on True Seeing.

#2: Casts Aid on Jerodan. (1d8+8)[12] Temp HP.

#3: Casts Magic Circle Against Evil, encompassing all 4 within it's range.

#4: Takes hold of Jerodan's shoulder, preparing to do something:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lay on Hands, if Jerodan takes damage.

Jerodan appears to ready something, holding his spear with one hand:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ready an action to use True Striked Bolt of Madness against the square that Avoral #1 specifies, if the enemy manifests.

Round done.
    Last edited by Adumbration; 2009-05-16 at 03:44 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Provided you are done...

My turn:
    If you can see, open this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Free actions (not detectable):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shift spellstrike bonus to defense

Cast:
    Quickened spell (Spellcraft DC 21):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Protection from Evil

spell: (Spellcraft DC 21):
    Spoiler
    Show
    True Seeing

Move to Directly above you, altitude 60 feet.

Done.

Actions spoilered in case you have a true seeing ability active. If you do, go ahead and dig in there, I've got everything labelled for conditions of looking in, and the like.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Before you completed your round, I didn't have True Seeing... But now I do, so please state your position and whether you are still ethereal.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Directly above you, altitude 60 feet.

EDIT: I've still not manifested. Provided you aren't coming to the ethereal plane to say hi, I'm going to get my buff suite up before manifesting.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-16 at 04:08 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Ethereal or manifested? I think it can be determined from sight.

EDIT: Okay.
    Last edited by Adumbration; 2009-05-16 at 04:09 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

It can be determined from sight, merely by, as a free action, choosing to extend your sight to the ethereal, then choosing not to. If you lose sight, character is ethereal. If I really wanted to design this character to be a ghost, I'd have given him mind blank, which, by RAW, makes me immune to Divination spells used to gain information about me... Such as True Seeing.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

As one, the whole group moves towards the direction they originally came, vanishing from sight.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone moves 90 ft away from the caster.

#1: Continues to concentrate.

#2: Ready an action to use Area Dispel on the area that #1 specifies, if the enemy manifests.

#3: Ready an action to use Area Dispel on the area that #1 specifies, if the enemy manifests.

#4: Ready an action to Lay on Hands Jerodan, if he takes damage.

Jerodan readies an action to use True Striked Bolts of Madness against the area that #1 specifies, on manifestation.

Done. True Seeing still in force.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Sigh. Running away? I expected more.
    Very well. I've got my buffs up. I move 30 feet away from in the opposite direction of the direction you left, 30 feet down, and Manifest.

I'll need LOS information.

EDITED for clarity of intent.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-16 at 04:39 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

You see the whole crew precisely 120 ft away. You also trigger a crapload of readied actions.

You are hit by 2 Area Dispels - Dispel checks. Pick in order as many as necessary, I put in 8, just in case. Let me know if I need more. Let's see if I can get some natural 20s and drop at least a buff or two:
    Spoiler
    Show

1st Area Dispel:
    (1d20+8)[20]
    (1d20+8)[9]
    (1d20+8)[19]
    (1d20+8)[27]
    (1d20+8)[11]
    (1d20+8)[20]
    (1d20+8)[23]
    (1d20+8)[20]

2nd Area Dispel:
    (1d20+8)[27]
    (1d20+8)[27]
    (1d20+8)[13]
    (1d20+8)[24]
    (1d20+8)[18]
    (1d20+8)[20]
    (1d20+8)[15]
    (1d20+8)[21]

You are also - perhaps - hit by a ray emanating from Jerodan's free hand.

Ranged touch attack:
    (1d20+39)[51]
    Supernatural effects have 50% chance to effect incorporeal creatures, high is good:

Will save DC 35 or be Dazed for (1d3)[1] rounds. Spell resistance or concealment does not apply, in this case.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know why it didn't roll the incorporeality roll...
    (1d100)[12]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Questions:
    The No SR/No miss chance will save. What type of effect is it? Spell-like? Supernatural? Etc?

Also, I moved away for the precise reason of getting out of range of short range abilities. What are the ranges of these abilities? I'm AFB, so can't check the Dispel, and I don't have quite enough information to check the rest.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

SR does not apply to the dispel checks, becouse they are SR: No. SR does not apply to anything Jerodan does, becouse the vast majority of the arsenal in his possession is Supernatural, and thus not subject to SR. The no miss chance thing is due to a supernatural True Strike effect. The Daze effect has a lot longer range than 120 ft, and is as well as supernatural effect. However, as I failed the incorporeality roll, the point there is moot.

Dispel magic has Medium range, within which you easily fit, using Area Dispel part of it.

Description of Dispel Magic, from SRD. Bolded part is what I'm using:
    Spoiler
    Show

You can use dispel magic to end ongoing spells that have been cast on a creature or object, to temporarily suppress the magical abilities of a magic item, to end ongoing spells (or at least their effects) within an area, or to counter another spellcaster’s spell. A dispelled spell ends as if its duration had expired. Some spells, as detailed in their descriptions, can’t be defeated by dispel magic. Dispel magic can dispel (but not counter) spell-like effects just as it does spells.

Note: The effect of a spell with an instantaneous duration can’t be dispelled, because the magical effect is already over before the dispel magic can take effect.

You choose to use dispel magic in one of three ways: a targeted dispel, an area dispel, or a counterspell:
    Targeted Dispel

One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell. You make a dispel check (1d20 + your caster level, maximum +10) against the spell or against each ongoing spell currently in effect on the object or creature. The DC for this dispel check is 11 + the spell’s caster level. If you succeed on a particular check, that spell is dispelled; if you fail, that spell remains in effect.

If you target an object or creature that is the effect of an ongoing spell (such as a monster summoned by monster summoning), you make a dispel check to end the spell that conjured the object or creature.

If the object that you target is a magic item, you make a dispel check against the item’s caster level. If you succeed, all the item’s magical properties are suppressed for 1d4 rounds, after which the item recovers on its own. A suppressed item becomes nonmagical for the duration of the effect. An interdimensional interface (such as a bag of holding) is temporarily closed. A magic item’s physical properties are unchanged: A suppressed magic sword is still a sword (a masterwork sword, in fact). Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this.

You automatically succeed on your dispel check against any spell that you cast yourself.
    Area Dispel

When dispel magic is used in this way, the spell affects everything within a 20-foot radius.

For each creature within the area that is the subject of one or more spells, you make a dispel check against the spell with the highest caster level. If that check fails, you make dispel checks against progressively weaker spells until you dispel one spell (which discharges the dispel magic spell so far as that target is concerned) or until you fail all your checks. The creature’s magic items are not affected.

For each object within the area that is the target of one or more spells, you make dispel checks as with creatures. Magic items are not affected by an area dispel.

For each ongoing area or effect spell whose point of origin is within the area of the dispel magic spell, you can make a dispel check to dispel the spell.

For each ongoing spell whose area overlaps that of the dispel magic spell, you can make a dispel check to end the effect, but only within the overlapping area.

If an object or creature that is the effect of an ongoing spell (such as a monster summoned by monster summoning) is in the area, you can make a dispel check to end the spell that conjured that object or creature (returning it whence it came) in addition to attempting to dispel spells targeting the creature or object.

You may choose to automatically succeed on dispel checks against any spell that you have cast.

Counterspell

When dispel magic is used in this way, the spell targets a spellcaster and is cast as a counterspell. Unlike a true counterspell, however, dispel magic may not work; you must make a dispel check to counter the other spellcaster’s spell.
    Last edited by Adumbration; 2009-05-16 at 05:07 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

As all the effects have the same caster level, I'll go off of order they were applied.

The first area dispel lands, disrupting my 4th effect.
    The second area dispel lands, disrupting my 1st and 2nd effect.

Good rolls, that. If I'm clear to continue?
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-16 at 05:39 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Assuming I am...

I'm visible now.

Cast a Quickened Spell (True Seeing can Spellcraft): (spellcraft DC 16):
    Spoiler
    Show
    True Strike

Done.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-16 at 05:39 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, the dispel magic is discharged when it has dispelled 1 spell, so that only your 1st and 4th effects are dispelled. Any visible effects? You're good to go, though.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Spellcraft checks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

If only 1st and 4th effects are dispelled, then I am not visible, without a true seeing effect.