New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Rise from the Ashes IC

Naradian Delegation

The Delegation of the Black Bastion complied, but they kept their armor. By the look of the animal Frelgr, the agile Ensi, the stoic Dvergar, and the lean shifty Undead, they might not need them anyway. Those of the Black Bastion entered gladly, for even those who did not follow the ways preached by the now old sister, saw the worth in befriending such peaceful peoples.

Crimson Claw

The traders and diplomancers () of the Black Bastion arrived at the city. Their ensi members, both living and undead, chittered between themselves excitedly. The head of the delegation, an unusually tall, black haired Dvergar stepped forward to speak for the group. "We come to speak for the Black Bastion, honored of Barin. May I ask who those from the "Pool" are?"
    Last edited by Lord_Asmodeus; 2009-06-02 at 07:06 PM.
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Black Bastion, City on the Naram-Suen

An undead ensi priest approached and bowed before the head of the delegation.

"- We are pleased to have you here. The men from the Pools are actually Rastulian Ensi. They are not like the other tribes. They have much knowledge of the ancient world, control storms and ride sand worms. We are in good terms with them. As for the Pools...we will let them tell you what they are."
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-06-02 at 07:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

City on the Naram-Suen

muttering thanks (revering the "ensi-spirit" as a kind of ancestor worship is a bit of a fad among storm-shapers)that the humans were wearing heavy obscuring clothes, the shaper replies Well, we'll be happy to help if you need it. Our camp is a little way down the river.

EDIT

turning to the emissary from the Bastion he replied It's a meeting place of sorts, where the clans gather and all our history and memories are stored.

May I ask why you chose this place as the location for a diplomatic summit?
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2009-06-02 at 07:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Hradani

"Their hire is worth much. We Baradans know more about agriculture and the care of the land than anyone. If you will ally with us, and help protect us, we will share these secrets with you. You will not need to depend on the uncertainties of the herds or fear the claws of the predator just to survive. You will be able to have a steady supply of food each year, and can thus divert your energies to equally useful tasks."

We have learned to grow crops you know. We're not that barbaric, despite appearances. So....let me think. Ah, I know! I've got just the group.

*She yells something, and a smallish Hradani trots over. After a quick discussion, he runs off.*

There. He'll get the people together. It might take a few days, but we'll get them here. Now, let's talk payment.....

Spoiler
    Show

Well, we can't trade this turn since you've already got a partner, but for now we can trade food for troops. Now, if any of the others you are in contact with want to trade, they can get the location of the valley from the Hradani that are accompanying you.
    Last edited by Krrth; 2009-06-02 at 07:51 PM.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Naram-Suen

The tall Dvergar nodded. "Ah, the Rastullians. We remember them. They and our kind have had a fairly neutral outlook to one another in the past." He turns to the speaker "We came here at the behest of our hosts"

Black Bastion

The Black Bastion welcomed Barada, but made it clear that the Council would wish to speak with the prophetess before any permanent plans were made. For the time being, any traveling with her were free to enjoy the hospitality of the city.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Among the humans, the disciples of Barada showed great curiosity for the Spell Song and the rituals surrounding it. Some of their druids learn the ancient chants with relative ease. Maybe was the primal link that the Spell Song used the same as the one used by druids, with only more analyse from the naradians for what the druids had always done naturally.
    The secrets the Baradans learned from the Naradians were welcomed, and they soon set about making their own prayers and chants to honor and invoke the spirits of the land.
    When they heard that a large people lived in the hills, just North of the forest, the local mission of Sisters investigated the rumors. They learned that they were tall warriors of short temper, barbarians who enjoyed hunting and fighting, with little respect for life and no respect for women.

They decided not to contact them. But when messengers from Suncliff talked of the Lupin threat, the Elder Sister in charge of the Bountiful Grove's naradians decided to ask an audiance with Barada.
    Barada's druid retainers explained to the ambassadors that Barada was not there, but had headed east to the mountains, declaring she would first meet with the Black Bastion, allies of their allies, and then continue east over the mountains. They suggested to inquire at the Black Bastion.
    We have learned to grow crops you know. We're not that barbaric, despite appearances. So....let me think. Ah, I know! I've got just the group.

*She yells something, and a smallish Hradani trots over. After a quick discussion, he runs off.*

There. He'll get the people together. It might take a few days, but we'll get them here. Now, let's talk payment.....
    "Forgive us for our assumption. We have grown somewhat accustomed to providing knowledge of agriculture to others. But there are other things we know. We have tamed beasts of the land, which provide for us meat, milk, skins and labor. We can teach you the same.
    The Black Bastion welcomed Barada, but made it clear that the Council would wish to speak with the prophetess before any permanent plans were made. For the time being, any traveling with her were free to enjoy the hospitality of the city.
    Barada humbly agrees and thanks the Black Bastion for their hospitality. She replied that she would be willing to met with their Council at any time.

While all this was going on, the Baradans in Midground began to share the crafting techniques they had learned with the Accipitrons, showing them how to use the wood of the trees and the hides and bones of animals to build and shape. They also selected the most able-bodied men and women among them to train under the Ragers. These "bear warriors" as they came to be called, underwent a startling transformation, shedding the soft round form of the traditional Baradans, and gaining a hard, sturdy muscle in its place.

The Baradans of Bevidia also considered what needed to be done while their prophetess was away, and the druid retainers of Barada went off alone into the woods to commune with the land for inspiration. They came back after more than a week, declaring that Barada herself had appeared to them in a dream, instructing them to form a home outside of the forest. The Baradans were directed from the dream to the southwest, instructed not to stop until they found a place where two rivers met the sea. A great number of Baradans embarked on this expedition, some of them forming small camps on the way to mark the path.

Spoiler
    Show
    Battle: Heal
    Expansion: They're sending an expedition to the area where the river that starts up by Suncliff splits into two rivers and flows onward to the sea near the Outpost of Shusi.
    Religion: Bolster
    Technology: Ancient Chants

Creation to come when I get some inspiration.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2009-06-02 at 08:41 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Black Bastion

The Council asked that Barada meet them in their great Council Hall, where all those who were to meet the council came, from the highest chieftains to the lowliest peasants. The Council appeared as it always had, and always would. An undefined number of near-identical figures, with heavy robes and concealing iron masks. The rasp of breath behind metal was the only sound to greet anyone who entered. It was a sound many remembered the rest of their lives.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

City on the Naram-Suen

could one of you explain what Rastullian means?
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Barada maintained her composure as she entered the Council's chambers. They felt something from her as well. A sort of warmth, that those who lived felt slightly strengthened by, while those who were undead began to feel slightly uncomfortable. Barada's dedication to life and the land was so strong, that she practically radiated a very mild form of positive energy.

Spoiler
    Show
    This doesn't actually have any in-game effects. It's purely cinematic in nature.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    City on the Naram-Suen

could one of you explain what Rastullian means?
    "- Long ago, there was a split...some of the Ensi, your ancestors, chose to follow Artures, old god of passion. They chose to feel and love. They became known as Rastulians, in honor of one of their heroes, Rastul. Those who remained loyal to Sesketh were referred to as Simetians. Simet was the first Champion of the Scorpion God. The Crimson Claw are Simetians."
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-06-02 at 09:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Naram-Suen

The tall Dvergar nodded. "In times past the Under Empire and the Simetians had good relations, like the gods they followed. Similarly, the Under Empire had no real opinion of the Rastullians. They did not seem to have much political interest, and in turn the Under Empire took little interest in them if they did not wish it."

Black Bastion

A voice, altered by the magical masks, echoed down to Barada. "We have been informed that you seek to stay here, as you wait to continue your journey across the land, is this true?"

(as a point, undead aren't created with negative energy, just magic and possibly by binding a soul to their own or another dead body.)
    Last edited by Lord_Asmodeus; 2009-06-02 at 09:05 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Asmodeus View Post
    Black Bastion

A voice, altered by the magical masks, echoed down to Barada. "We have been informed that you seek to stay here, as you wait to continue your journey across the land, is this true?"

(as a point, undead aren't created with negative energy, just magic and possibly by binding a soul to their own or another dead body.)
    Barada nods serenely. "That is true. I have felt the land calling me to the east, beyond your mountains. From what our mutual allies, the Order of Narade, have told my people, your lands mark the eastern edge of the settled lands. I seek to bring both life and my teachings to those lands. If it pleases you, I would also be interested in leaving a few ambassadors to ease communications between our peoples, and teach those among you who wish to learn our ways. If what the Naradians have told me are true, your hospitality is only matched by your acceptance of and respect for the beliefs of others."

Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't know that, so I just made the assumption that things here work like they do in a vanilla D&D setting.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omnik View Post
    Naradians

Followers of the Dark Father

Spoiler
    Show
    The Ensi
    The emissaries from the Crimson Claw thank the Council. Before leaving, they give Lotti the location of a desert stronghold where they will be able to meet. Obviously, their main base, Basalt Keep, has no fixed location...

The Myconids
    Once the elder dark elf has breathed in the cloud, he is able to understand them. The myconid asks where they came from and what they are looking for; delicious fungi, maybe?

Spoiler
    Show

The Ensi
    The Council promises to send an envoy to the camp to keep communications up between the factions.

The Myconids
    The Drow responds "We come from a city many miles away. We are seeking to know more of our neighbors and this region of caves. As well as conducting trade."

OOC: I'll think of something different for my craft.
    Last edited by LongVin; 2009-06-02 at 09:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Al Makim
    The Saradites investigate an island not far from their settlements after discovering the victims of an evil wizard performing experiments. The wizards look at the scrolls and anatomy records of the wizard performing these dastardly deeds and attempt to decipher some kind of medical meaning in order to promote the survival of the Tribe.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Children of Uso

The rangers talked amongst themselves, and the clerics did the same. Although not clerics as they were in the past, the title had stuck, coming to refer to the wisemen amongst the Children. The rangers were worried and anxious about what they might find. The elders had much the same feelings.

The rangers muttered about 'chasing dreams' and the waste of it all. The elders only hoped it was so. So went the time as the two dozen tritons traveled up the Naram-Suen, not knowing where their mission would end or how, only that even the chance of recovering such a prize was worth any price.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Naram-Suen

The Storm-Shaper replied Very well, it makes little difference to us. May I ask the purpose of this meeting and if me or my troops could be of use?
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Hradani

"Forgive us for our assumption. We have grown somewhat accustomed to providing knowledge of agriculture to others. But there are other things we know. We have tamed beasts of the land, which provide for us meat, milk, skins and labor. We can teach you the same.

Well now, first we'd need to have beasts of the land. We follow the herds and pick off what we need, but we really don't have a place to raise animals like crops. If you can teach us how to do that, it's a deal.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

"We will be more than happy to teach you that."

Spoiler
    Show
    The Baradans agree to teach the Hradani Animal Husbandry.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Order of Narade

Memorial

"-I believe she is, yes. Lady Dynean offered much to all who wished to assist her. She hasn't asked for the slighest thing, yet. But her gifts... Well, let's just say it helped us to promote cooperation between the tribes."

The Elder Sister let a single, piercing note. Her hand glowed slightly with pure positive energy.
    "-As for your ritual, we will assist you. But I would like to know more about it first. You seemed to be nice people but this whole "shadow magic" sounds a bit too...well, dark for my taste. You spoke of the dark elven. I've only heard tales about the ebony devils from below but if your arts are only even close to theirs, then I'm sure it has nothing to do with protection. So...unless you tell me more, I'm afraid shelter and supply will be all your people will get from Memorial."

But despite her words, the Elder Sister sent a messenger at dawn. The world had to know about the Lupins.

Black Bastion

Years had passed since the dvegars and the Order had establish diplomatic relations. With economy still dominated by daily survival and without efficient means of transportation, exchanges were low, with only a few daring merchants to travel between the communities.

However, words came to the Council that a group of Sisters, mostly humans and dwarven, advanced through the tunnels leading to the Black Bastion. They were led by what seemed to be an important personnality, escorted by a tall and mysterious figure.

Eventually, the group reached the entrance of the cavern and ask to speak with Barada and the Council. Their leader added that she brought dire news from the West.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Memorial

The ogre leader sighed.

"You see, that is why we chose to isolate ourselves. Few understand our way of life. Still...since you have been so kind to us, you deserve an answer. Listen well. As I said, we were created by Erothayce, a god unconcerned by good and evil. Just like him, we act to preserve the balance and the natural order. You can afford to live under the light and preach your ideals, but we are not destined to the same things. We live in twilight. Your light can't reach us. But that doesn't mean we are evil by any means. The shadow we control needs the light to exist. They are two sides of the same coin. The dark elves, unlike us, use this magic for evil deeds. Their god Vesper twisted the realm of the Lord Erothayce to create his dark Tunnels. The undead came from there. It was not our doing. It is the same for their dark spells.

Our ritual only manipulates the shadows to create illusions. With these defenses in place, it will take some time before the wolf-men reach the gate of Memorial."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

City on the Naram-Suen

The ensi priest, who looked well preserved compared to most undead comprising the ranks of the Crimson Claw, invited the emissaries from the Black Bastion to the negociation table. He informs the two delegations that they can't wander alone in the city, as it is still a "war zone". Before the talks began, the priest offered a gift to the tall dvergar. It is a golden bottle decorated with wave motifs. (Image) It is a relic said to be able to purify large bodies of water. It's also a personal gift from the warlord of the Crimson Claw to the Council.

(OOC: L_A, you may reply with the demands of the Black Bastion and what they have to offer in trade.)

22. - Top - End - #202
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ipphli View Post
    Midground

The small group of tritons struggled through the hills. While they knew of mountains from their home, they'd always been able to swim to whatever point they wanted to reach. Having to walk seemed to increase the difficulty substantially. They paused at the base of the mountains, deciding to set up camp there and wait to start the ascent the next day. Although there remained several hours of daylight, the leader decided it would be best if they spent the time resting.
    The tritons could see the town off in the distance, lit by torches and surrounded by what looked like circling birds of prey.When sunset came, three of the birds broke off from the rest and began their slow descent towards the travelers who could now see that these were far larger than any hawk.

Meanwhile, in Sky Home, many accipitrons were working to develop what they already had instead of continuing their expansion across the mountains. In the four major aeries, archers began to practice with their crude bows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Creation: Abstract class (Sharpshooters)
    Religion: Bolster
    Combat: Heal
    Expansion: None, rather, work on strengthening existing settlements.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Children of Uso

Midground

The tritons spotted the birds. Gripping their spears tightly, they glanced amongst themselves in unease. After all, there were birds that fished in the ocean. Who knows what horrors might exist far from the ocean? They all were crouched down, ready to fight or flee.

City on the Naram-Suen

The delegation had finally spotted the city. It was indeed a ruins, but it didn't seem empty or deserted. Just as the triton who'd had the vision said: someone was there, and they had it. Not knowing their intentions, the delegates kept to the deepest part of the river, watching the strange, bug-like creatures and hoping for some sign of the relic.
    Last edited by Ipphli; 2009-06-03 at 10:00 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Al Makim

Spoiler
    Show
    According to the scrolls, it is possible to use needles for therapeutic purposes (acupuncture). The wizards find a secret temple on the deserted island containing more scrolls on this subject, as well as some objects used for torture. The temple is dedicated to the old god Stormthorne.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Myconids
    "- We know those caves better than anyone. They are our grandparents. They care for us greatly! The caves stretch long and far. Trade, heh? We give you something and you give us something in return? Our god Mycellias has many treasures. Maybe you want to meet him?"
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-06-04 at 09:38 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Hradani

Tor Gunderson, chief of the Hradani, was upset. He was feeling the weight of his 280 years. The Hradani lived a long time, but he knew he was nearing the end of his life. He still had much to do. Whatever had killed his scouts was still out there. He had not avenged his fallen clan mates. He called in the Fili, who had finally gotten themselves organized, and had them recount the old legends.

He gathered his guard and set out on a quest. He would find and slay whatever had attacked his tribe, or die in the attempt.

Closer to home, a large cavern was found underneath the ruined temple. Craftsman decided to expand and strengthen it. Once that was done, the remains of the fallen Ogre Lords were moved to just inside the entrance where sarcophagi were carved for them.

Spoiler
    Show

Creation: Abstract: Fili. They keep the oral history and legends alive.
    Action: Explore. An all out effort is being made to find the threat.
    Action: Battle. Attempt to kill the threat.
    Tech:Masonry.
    Last edited by Krrth; 2009-06-04 at 11:05 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hradani

Tor Gunderson and his escort come across a great mound after a few days' travel. After investigating a bit, they find a hidden hole that leads 20 feet underground and a rope.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Children of Uso

After a few days, the Children decide they must initiate contact with the strange creatures in the city. So 2 rangers and a cleric are sent to the shore. They approach slowly, hands raised to their shoulders to show they are unarmed. When within shouting distance, the cleric calls out. "We are the Children of Uso. We come in peace!"

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

City on the Naram-Suen

Before leaving to let the two delegations have their talks in peace, the Storm-Shaper requests a meeting with the leader of the Bastion for separate talks when he is free.

[assuming yes] The scouts set up a base-camp near the river and continue scouting further along, reporting back to the main outpost once a week. When the Tritons appear out of the water, they notice them quickly. The storm-shaper accompanied by a few more martially inclined scouts quickly approach them. one of the scouts saysGreetings Life-dwellers* Who are you? why do you approach? why do you need to announce you peacefu-

The storm-shaper cuts him off I'm sorry about that, we are explorers, and he's naturally curious. May I help you?
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Omnik View Post
    Al Makim

Spoiler
    Show
    According to the scrolls, it is possible to use needles for therapeutic purposes (acupuncture). The wizards find a secret temple on the deserted island containing more scrolls on this subject, as well as some objects used for torture. The temple is dedicated to the old god Stormthorne.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Myconids
    "- We know those caves better than anyone. They are our grandparents. They care for us greatly! The caves stretch long and far. Trade, heh? We give you something and you give us something in return? Our god Mycellias has many treasures. Maybe you want to meet him?"

The scrolls are continually investigated for more medical purposes, and the instruments of torture are also analyzed by Saradite wisemen to try and create blue prints for weapon designs. Meanwhile, the Al Saradin in the Enchanted Island are currently ordering the Al Makim to continue searching for more tribes. (NPC tribes, if not PC tribes) Meanwhile the wisemen are hurridly attempting to find ways to settle disputes without resorting to cutting body parts and generally seek peaceful means to end arguments and disagreements.

Spoiler
    Show

Technology: Code of Laws
    Battle: Heal
    Expansion: Around the Coast
    Action: Investigate Stormthorne's Temple

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Children of Uso

City on the Naram-Suen

The cleric steps forward and bows his head respectfully. "We are representatives of the Children of Uso. We were sent here by a vision. We only declared our peaceful intentions because we did not know yours."