New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Talice V.S. The Night Surgeon

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    You don't seem to realize that I'm arguing in your favor...I explicitly said otherwise, that despite a Heightened Silent Image being an 8th level spell (which is it), and thus whatever he makes with it being 80% real via Shadow Illusion (which it will), there is no spell in existence that can [Summon] or [Create] an Elder Evil short of Epic magic, which is not 8th level or below.
    - He could make a Polar Ray and it would deal 80% damage if disbelieved.
    - He could create a beautifully crafted set of adamantine manacles (via imitating Major Creation) and for the 1/round caster level it existed, it would be 80% real.
    -He could call up 1d4 Greater Fire Elementals via imitating Summon Monster VIII, and they would have 80% of the HP and deal 80% normal damage.

He could NOT conjure Ragnora in any manner of quasi-reality, as there is no Evocation, Conjuration[Creation] or Conjuration[Summoning] spell that lets you do so.
    Well. This seems very definitive. I did agree to a scary Ragnora that LOOKS intimidating.
    EDIT: Hit, and 11 Damage after my DR.
    Last edited by Fan; 2009-05-17 at 02:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Night Surgeon View Post
    Well. This seems very definitive. I did agree to a scary Ragnora that LOOKS intimidating.
    Last entry on page 1 is my 1st turn.

EDIT: Your go.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-17 at 02:33 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, on my turn.

Casting a spell (DC 25 spell craft), and BAM out of nowhere come
    (1d4+4)[5] copies of myself that seem to be moving in perfect union, although also ever shifting in this dance of battle and then I chitter some more a odd glow surronding me, and lastly actvating my rod of quicken a glow surronding it that spreads around all of my body. I auto make both of the concentration checks so rolling isn't even a novelty here, the image of Ragnora moves over myself, and my clones then (Go ahead, and take your imaginary AOO. =p) obsucring us with the massive shadow weave bulk.

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Cast Greater Mirror Image on myself
    Cast Karmic Aura on myself as a immediate action (absorbing next turns swift action)
    Cast a Scintillating scales on myself quickened by the rod.
    Last edited by Fan; 2009-05-17 at 02:49 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Spellcraft: (1d20+23)[32]
    (1d20+23)[35]
    (1d20+23)[37]
    (1d20+23)[25]
    (1d20+23)[25]

As necessary to identify any and all spells cast during the turn.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    Spellcraft: [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]

As necessary to identify any and all spells cast during the turn.
    Greater Mirror Image, Karmic Aura, and Scintllating scales. >.> There's no spell craft for the big image just a beeg difficult will save.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

The small dessicated creature before you mutters a simple spell, one many mages learn to cast before they ever leave their master's care. The shadowy essence ripples off its withered flesh, its atrophied arms, legs, head, at the inclusion of another magic, and it lunges with row after row of glinting teeth.

crunch
    Spoiler
    Show

Cast True Strike.
    Swift: Belt of battle, 2 charges. Extra standard action.
    Free: Divine Might.
    Standard: Mountain Hammer.

Attack: (1d20+46)[50] (ignore miss chances, provided I target the right location... Right where you were)
    If Hit: (3d6+20)[26] (ignore all hardness and DR)

Go ahead.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Oh, and I might as well. Will save: (1d20+46)[47]

EDIT: Auto 1 fails.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-17 at 03:19 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

So, yeah.. You strike into the big fleshy mass that we disapeared into, you blade sinks into it, and a ear piercing scream emits from it, before another torrent of spells shoot out this time, seemingly from the beasts tentacles.
    And a uncontrollable urge possesses the creature.. The urge to dance.

(No save, SR if you have it though.)

Crunch
    Spoiler
    Show

You failed the save, and thus couldn't discern our location from the big REAL TO YOU fleshy mass that is there, and I cast Otto's Irresitable Dance on you to make you Thriller.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

If that's Otto's Irresistable Dance, which I think it is, there's 2 problems with that.

1) You need a touch attack.
    2) Living creatures only.

EDIT: On the bright side, your undead status is protecting you from the two diseases my bite carries, as well as the Paralyzation effect.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-17 at 03:34 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

If that's Otto's Irresistable Dance, which I think it is, there's 2 problems with that.

1) You need a touch attack.
    2) Living creatures only.
    1: Archmage Arcane Reach
    2: Damn, forgot THAT part of the spell, so much less epic.

Anyways, change of actions:

Casting a Elemental body (gaining the Outsider type, AND keeping my current type in addition to the new immunity to spell on myself, in addition to a load of other benefits.) and staying within the bastion of defense.
    Last edited by Fan; 2009-05-17 at 03:37 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

Arcane reach makes it require a ranged touch attack instead. You still need the touch attack though. It's nice for making it a dex base, rather than a str base.

My go.

The tiny creature moves impossibly quickly, bouncing from tentacle to tentacle, one step ahead of their swings, until finally out of the illusory beast. Somehow, during the move, it managed to produce a small bottle. The glint in its eyes is gleeful, the smile cruel, as it pulls the stopper out, and thick, choking smoke billows out, obscuring everything.

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auto tumble outside the fleshy mass, drawing out a bottle as I do. Time to even the playing field.

Unstopper the Eversmoking Bottle. You can't true seeing through real smoke.
    I may be half blind... But so are you.
    :P
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-17 at 03:44 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

You forgot one thing with you scentless (per RAW!!!) smoke, and the rat like anemic wizard sniffs out your square quickly, and shoots a stream of glittery dust out at the creature, before holding action to cast a quickened grease upon the creatures next movement, while the images continue to rearrange themselves, as a new one pops up to join them.

Crunch
    Spoiler
    Show

Glitter dust is a bitch, your outlined clearly now, and since you auto make the fort save it doesn't matter. -40 on hide checks by the way.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

Scent is not effective versus Darkstalker. Nor is blindsight, blindsense, or tremorsense. You must make a spot or listen check.

Further, scent picks up general direction. It does not pinpoint location unerringly. For that, you need the track feat, and a very, very steep survival DC.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-17 at 03:54 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Scent is not effective versus Darkstalker. Nor is blindsight, blindsense, or tremorsense. You must make a spot or listen check.
    GRAGH! >.< Damn dark stalker, is Detect thoughts effective? /hopeful

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

Sure. 1 round of concentration will detect the presence in a cone.
    2 will detect the number of thought sources, and the strongest one
    round 3 will pinpoint location of thoughts.

Also, bear in mind, that glitterdust is completely ineffective versus 10 feet of smoke, which blocks LOS. I needed something natural, that wouldn't be bypassed by your true seeing. Everything glitter dust would do, true seeing is already defeating, except for mundane hiding.

But true seeing can't see through something that's really there. I could put a 10,000,000 candlepower krypton bulb in that smoke cloud. At a distance of 10 feet? Total concealment.

EDIT: My Bad. Detect thoughts is mind-affecting. Undead are immune.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-17 at 04:05 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure. 1 round of concentration will detect the presence in a cone.
    2 will detect the number of thought sources, and the strongest one
    round 3 will pinpoint location of thoughts.

Also, bear in mind, that glitterdust is completely ineffective versus 10 feet of smoke, which blocks LOS. I needed something natural, that wouldn't be bypassed by your true seeing. Everything glitter dust would do, true seeing is already defeating, except for mundane hiding.

But true seeing can't see through something that's really there. I could put a 10,000,000 candlepower krypton bulb in that smoke cloud. At a distance of 10 feet? Total concealment.
    Damn, well then... move action up 60 feet (8 images of me now), and cast Lord of the Sky.
    Last edited by Fan; 2009-05-17 at 04:02 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

Just looked at detect thoughts, actually. It's mind affecting. That means a no-go on us undeads.

The smoke billows downward, like a fireball, as the tiny figure emerges from the cloud. It halts about 30 feet from you, with a cocky look in its eye. A raspy voice carries across the distance...

"How many incantations do you have remaining, mageling? What happens when your spells are exhausted, and I can sink my teeth into your flesh?"

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Scout's Headband, 3 charges: True Seeing.
    Drop the bottle
    Fly in the general direction of the sound (with my listen modifier, I can detect a verbal component of a spellcast on a roll of 1 at 260 feet).

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, I have DOZENS of incantations left, but tell me... creature... what do you gain from feasting on my undead flesh? Prehaps talking at a higher vantage point...away from my creature down there will make this more suiting for civility."
    The creature then raises even higher into the sky, it's talking getting fainted as it moves once more, something under lying it's words.
    No looks in this one talic
    Spoiler
    Show

Holding action to cast a Greater Dispel magic once he begins to close with me.
    Moving 120 feet up.
    Last edited by Fan; 2009-05-17 at 04:32 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

The shadowy wisps remain blurry and indistinct, as the <gremlin>? <sprite>? speaks more clearly.

"Hm. I never put that much thought into it. I suppose it's because I haven't done it yet?"

It looks down at the creature, a flicker of the smugness gone from its face as it fidgets with its hands... Shaking its head for a moment, it glances at your many forms, and heads directly towards you at a breakneck pace, stopping just short of you, licking its dried, cracked remnants of lips hungrily...

"Now, what were we discussing? Ah yes. Your terms of surrender."

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Nonvisible standard action
    Spoiler
    Show
    Activate Ring of spell turning.

Move up to 120 feet towards my foe, ending 5 feet from his square.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

"Surrender is far out of my terms my fellow undead. Considering that we're around 240 feet up, and your about to begin falling."
    (triggering my held action once you get close)
    Area Greater dispel magic centered on you (it activated right as you began moving, so I'm not caught in it. Also since its mid way through your move action your currently 200 feet up in the air.)

Dispel checks against every magic effect you have on you.
    (1d20+32)[47]
    (1d20+32)[47]
    (1d20+32)[37]
    (1d20+32)[44]
    (1d20+32)[47]

I auto succeed even if your items, and spell's CL's are twenty, which is the highest non epic effect available.
    Also, casting a quickened (via: normal rod of quickening...last usage. ) telekinesis on you while you fall.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Banned

Area dispel only gets my spells, not my items, and is expended after dispelling 1 spell.

If you want to go for all my spell effects, you'll have to do a targeted dispel. Even then, it won't get my items.

Further, you cannot take a swift action (quickened spell), in conjunction with a readied action. Swift actions are only available on your turn, which this is not. Quickened spells are swift actions.

Please rework your readied action to be legal.

EDIT: Relevant text:

Spoiler
    Show
    Area Dispel

When dispel magic is used in this way, the spell affects everything within a 20-foot radius.

For each creature within the area that is the subject of one or more spells, you make a dispel check against the spell with the highest caster level. If that check fails, you make dispel checks against progressively weaker spells until you dispel one spell (which discharges the dispel magic spell so far as that target is concerned) or until you fail all your checks. The creature’s magic items are not affected.

For each object within the area that is the target of one or more spells, you make dispel checks as with creatures. Magic items are not affected by an area dispel.

For each ongoing area or effect spell whose point of origin is within the area of the dispel magic spell, you can make a dispel check to dispel the spell.

For each ongoing spell whose area overlaps that of the dispel magic spell, you can make a dispel check to end the effect, but only within the overlapping area.

If an object or creature that is the effect of an ongoing spell (such as a monster summoned by monster summoning) is in the area, you can make a dispel check to end the spell that conjured that object or creature (returning it whence it came) in addition to attempting to dispel spells targeting the creature or object.

You may choose to automatically succeed on dispel checks against any spell that you have cast.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-17 at 09:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, well then..
    Readied action goes off with the area dispel... Any spell EFFECTS, or spells happening.. First one goes down. Any falling/anything happening?

My turn, no more diplomacy happening, I go ahead, and cast Bigby's Grasping Hand on you/ grapple check.
    You get -8 on your check for being small (-4 per size catagory difference), and the hand gets a additional +8 to it's checks against you (+4 per size catagory larger) but before that can happen, my images encircle you (moving into a ring), cast a glitter dust on you, and then then let loose a telekinesis (quickened via rod) to thrust you upwards (bull rush manuever so make a STRENGTH check.) into the roof.

Strength check from telekinesis, also take a -4 on yours because your small, and the spell technicly has no "size" so there is no penalty for it.
    (1d20+10)[12]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Banned

My one spell effect goes down.

Bigby's Grasping hand fails to grip me, due to a Ring of Freedom of Movement.

Part of the standard kit for anyone's 760,000, IMO.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

Telekinesis is opposed by a will save, in addition... When it targets a creature.

Will:(1d20+46)[47]

EDIT: 1 fails. I take damage per falling for hitting the roof, as if I fell 10 feet.

EDIT 2: Wait a sec... That's not a ghost SU telekinesis. It's targeted. Spell turning. It hits you, not me.

EDIT 3: Flight is a feature of my Race/Template. A disjunction won't get rid of it.
    Ah, you're doing a bull rush, NM on that.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-17 at 10:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Night Surgeon View Post
    Dispel checks against every magic effect you have on you.
    Mind explaining how you got your dispel check so high?
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Mind explaining how you got your dispel check so high?
    It's not unheard of to receive bonuses that apply outside of the +20 Caster Level cap. Explaining his work isn't his job.

Understanding how the spells he casts affect me, and what's required of me... Is.

I shouldn't have to tell myself when I need to make a save. I'm willing to take the effort to understand my attack and defense abilities, and explain them when necessary. The only thing I ask is that you understand the abilities that you attempt to use.

If you're going to apply an effect, or cast a spell... Reference the spell, and follow the wording of it, instead of relying on memory. Same applies for unusual attack methods. It'll eliminate a lot of confusion, and make things much easier.

(On a side note, the penalties for grapple checks are +4 for every size category larger than medium or smaller than medium. You misread the bonuses for the grapple check. I just didn't bring it up because it wasn't important.)
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-17 at 10:55 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

Str Check for bull rush ability.

(1d20+9)[17] -4 for size modifier.

EDIT: my 13 versus your 12, I don't move.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-05-17 at 10:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

It's not unheard of to receive bonuses that apply outside of the +20 Caster Level cap. Explaining his work isn't his job.
    Yes, but an extra +12? On top of +4 caster level? That stretches credibility a bit, and it's not a number that typically show up on a character sheet where the DM would likely see it in advance to check. Combining every bonus I know of that isn't limited use and would require activation or pre-buffing only gets +11, and that doesn't leave room for both Shadowcraft Mage 3+ and Archmage 1+.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2009-05-17 at 11:22 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

That will make it my turn...

Hm.

Several of you, one of me. Well, there's an easy fix for that. Fly back, into the smoke, vanishing from sight. Auto tumble to avoid AoO's. After LOS is lost...
    Spoiler
    Show
    continue movement to retrieve my eversmoking bottle.

Glitterdust doesn't last too awfully long, so I think I'll stay in the smoke where it's impossible for you to effectively combat me. I mean, there's area effect, but with evasion and a +51 reflex save, I don't think you'll be getting me unless I roll a 1. What's the chances of that happening? LOL.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Yes, but an extra +12? On top of +4 caster level? That stretches credibility a bit, and it's not a number that typically show up on a character sheet where the DM would likely see it in advance to check. Combining every bonus I know of that isn't limited use and would require activation or pre-buffing only gets +11, and that doesn't leave room for both Shadowcraft Mage 3+ and Archmage 1+.
    +4 caster level is easy enough, and I can do it with a single feat. The others? If he's found something you haven't, then bully for him. Regardless, I prefer my matches with a minimum of outside interference... So if I'm not disputing it...

Why should you?