New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Fake HLA Glyphstone Vs. Gilded Duke

Ta-Da. Executing Counter Charge then as an immediate action, which costs me next turn's swift action.
    Opposed Dexterity check(1d20+13)[32]
    If I win, you halt your attack and end up 15ft. away from me. If you win, you get another +2 on your attack roll, but you need to either Spot to overcome a Hide check of (1d20+40)[60] (Darkstalker negates your Tremorsense) or just bite the 50% miss chance from my Shadow Blend.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Can't beat that opposed dex check, Which 15 feet direction do you want to move the Ankheg?

3. - Top - End - #33

I get to move you 2 squares in a direction of my choice - you're moving directly towards me, so I'm going to position you along that same line, but 15ft. away instead of adjacent to me, basically just pushing you back 10ft.

As the ankheg attempts to charge again, its attack is foiled by the shadow-wrapped abberation's acrobatic, ducking through the bug's claws and confusing the creature into ending up in a very different place than it had intended. The choker bares its needlelike teeth and snarls its first recognizable words of the battle, 'Sssssssstop......hammertime.", before delivering not one, but two thunderous blows against the ankheg's chitinous shell. The damage done, it skitters sideways towards the wall of the nearest house.

Standard: Elder Mountain Hammer, (1d20+42)[61] for (10d6)[30]+32 = 62 damage.
    Standard: Mountain Hammer, (1d20+42)[56] for (6d6)[22]+32 = 54 damage.
    Move: 45ft. east, towards those buildings we've been ignoring all fight. :)
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2009-05-19 at 01:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Kobold

"Not tha buildings!!!!"

Says the Draconic Ankheg before dying.
    Nicely done.

5. - Top - End - #35

Yeah, that had some twists I hadn't expected. I actually had forgotten to prepare IHS at the beginning - i get access to it from an Iron Heart Vest, so I didn't put it on my character sheet's list of maneuvers known and promptly forgot it existed. Escaping so many of your attacks, on the other hand, was kind of funny - particularly the AMF+Balancing on Air interaction, that caught me completely off guard and probably saved me after having forgotten you could fly.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2009-05-19 at 01:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    I actually had forgotten to prepare IHS at the beginning - i get access to it from an Iron Heart Vest
    Er, I'm pretty sure that means you couldn't have negated either AMF with it. The vest is a magic item, would have been suppressed by the AMF, and without its magic you can't use the maneuver.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #37

Kobold

Yeah, I also messed up with at one point, turns out I could have only prepare AMF once it being a domain spell and all. Revising the build now so that it can cast AMF lots of times in case of people using Iron Heart Surge.

I'm pretty sure Douglas is right about the vest, but practice match so doesn't matter so much.

What I probably should have done is a double move to get right below you, effect you with the AMF, and then grappled you on an AOO as you fell to the ground at the start of your turn.

8. - Top - End - #38

I considered that, but it's actually not how it works. The vest doesn't give me the ability to use the maneuver, it simply adds it to my list of maneuvers known while I'm wearing it, and I can then prepare and use it as normal. I readied the maneuver while outside of the AMF, and it remains on my list of readied maneuvers even when the AMF then shuts off the vest and my ability to ready it again as long as the vest is suppressed. The closest situation I can think of would be a Pearl of Power - a Wizard who casts a spell, recovers it with a Pearl of Power, then walks into an AMF wouldn't lose the spell slot he had regained. He wouldn't be able to cast it (because it's an AMF), but the spell he had prepared wouldn't vanish from his list of prepared spells because the item that had allowed him to prepare it wasn't functional.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2009-05-19 at 02:08 PM.