New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Lord [Chapter 4] The War

The goblin shakes his head and then responds, "I heard there be a prisoner the human guards call Kilmmer in the southwestern corner of this room"
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Soo... Throshkar and Groj hold the line, I do an end round, get Kilmer out. Egan, can you do anymore of those wall things, in case you have to cover my retreat?

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

[if needed: Creatures Listen and spot checks - Roll MS and H before you look]
    Spoiler
    Show

listen - (1d20+23)[33]
    spot - (1d20+23)[41]
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Alright, I'm doing it.

Spoiler
    Show
    MS: (1d20+21)[41]
    Hide: (1d20+23)[41]

Edit: Nat twenty! Hmm... any bonus for the ceiling crawling?
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2009-07-14 at 02:20 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Adrian slips by the door way by crawling along the ceiling without the creature seeing it (+2 circumstance bonus for crawling along the ceiling). He makes to down the hall way and to the last cell. The cell is larger then most and shut with a iron gate and locked with large lock. There is a man laying in a heap in dirty straw in the far corner.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Shh now. Mr. Kilmer? Just nod if that's you.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Adrian sees the figure rise up, the man is badly beaten, his eyes are swollen shut. You can see that his arms and feet are chained in hand and leg irons. He nods to Adrian and whispers, "Yes it is me...but are you just another fiend come to torture me?"

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Yeah, I'm a three foot tall, rogueishly handsome fiend. No, I'm here with Egan to get you out of here. Adrian pulls out his lockpicks and starts to work on the cell door.

He's here. Egan, he's all chained up. If you want to use your magic to speed things up, you'll have to get by the door undetected. Speaking of which, how are you lot getting off those stairs?

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

The lock feels cold in Adrian's hand as he inserts he picks (DC 30 lock; Adrian's Open Lock skill - (1d20+19)[24]) and starts to work them around. As Adrian starts to work on the lock a loud sound starts to pulsate in his ears. An alarm has now been sounded and to make matters worse electricity starts to flow out of the lock in the form of a lightning bolt (lightning bolt - (10d6)[27] electricity damage, DC 14 Reflex save half damage).

The creature guarding the stair way looks up toward the hallway containing the cells.

Your goblin companion says, "This does not look good."

You have the initiative the door is still locked. Kilmer is not attached to any wall but he is in chains and has a movement rate of 5 feet.
    Last edited by crimson77; 2009-07-14 at 01:53 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian cuts off a yell and tosses the pick to the ground.

Egan, it would be really nice if we could get out and then drop this place onto that thing. Soon. That door seems to small for it, but he might have friends.

Hey friend, if you wanna pretend that was you messing around, be my guest. Might help us. A bit.

Adrian pulls out two of his tanglefoot bags and slids them across the floor towards his friends, and pulls out a smokestick. Just prepping for any possiblities...

Then for good measure, he drops his backpack by the cell door and says to Kilmer. Dig the acid out of there and pour it over the chains between your legs. We're going to have to run soon. Should be five vials, use what you have to.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay Evasion and Trap Sense. I could only fail on a... yeah, ****.
    (1d20+17)[18]
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2009-07-14 at 02:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Kilmer ruffles through the bag and pulls out the vials dumping it upon the chain. A gas is given off of the chain as the acid burns into the old iron. Kilmer reaches down and with a firm tug breaks one of the links to free his feet. "Any luck on that door shorty? We best be getting out of here, they don't take kindly to escape attempts." Kilmer replies as he points to his beaten face and smiles.
    Last edited by crimson77; 2009-07-14 at 03:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Yeah, one sec. It's just that I don't relish the though of getting zapped again.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Kilmer grumbles, "FINE, just hurry up, we have not got long before that smelly creatures from the nine-hells come rushing in and rips your bloody head off your stubby shoulders." He continues mumbling the rest, "What kind of rescue attempt sends half a man without support? The prince has finally lost his mind."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Screw it, the alarms already went off.

Oi Egan! A little help with the door! The damsel in distress is getting antsy. Throshkar, I got a chokepoint that needs holding against a frightful demon from the nether world. Do the math. You can use the bags to slow him, or anybody else up. Turning to Kilmer Adrian smiles.

Spoiler
    Show
    Witty lines I wish I could use right now... "Support? I'm the Goddamn HalfMan!"
    "I'm a little short for a Dark Knight, aren't I." etc. etc.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Halfling in the Playground

Throshkar delaBlanc and Grog Ironshield

Throsh, feeling the strength of the spell flow through him, sprints out to the choke point in order to give Egan and Adrian some more time. At the same time he pulls out his bastard sword and swings. Screaming, he says, "General Kilmer, I told you I wouldn't stray from the true king. We've come to get you out of this hell hole!" With the first swing missing, but the second finding its calling he no longer fears his sword from crumbling in his hands...

Grog sprints behind Throsh and begins to chant"Dear Lord, bring forth your holy flame and consume this abomination of your Earth..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Using Bastard Sword+1
    Full Attack using Power Attack (-3 to hit/+6 to dmg), wielding sword two-handed. Subtract 1 for using buckler-arm with attack, so attack is bonus is: (+16/11/6), note, I added the bonus for Bulls Strength to his stat table.
    (d20+16)[18] damage: (d10+11)[14]
    (d20+11)[27] damage: (d10+11)[20]
    (d20+6)[8] damage: (d10+11)[16]

Spoiler
    Show

{table] Throshkar | Human | Cavalier | LVL 12 | LG | Medium
    hp: 85/110 | | Spd: 20/15 | AC/T/FF | 21/11/20 /| +1 Plate Mail
    Masterwork Lance | +20/+15/+10 | 1d8+6 | x3 | No ranged atk
    +1 Bastard Sword | +19/+14/+9 | 1d10+7 | x2 | Crit 17-20
    SV | Fort +10 | Ref +5 | Wil +3||+2 v. Enchant, Sleep
    STR 20 | DEX 12 | CON 14 | INT 10 | WIS 8 | CHA 14
    Skills|Spot -1|Listen -1|Ride +12|Intimidate +11|Diplom. +4[/table]

Spoiler
    Show

Grog casts flame strike - do I have to roll an attack with this one?
    Damage: (12d6)[56]

Spoiler
    Show

{table]Grog | Dwarf | Cleric |Lvl 12 | NG | Medium
    54/71 | | Spd: 20/20 | AC/T/FF | 17/10/17 | | Chainmail +1
    Adm. Hvy. Mace | +1 | 1d6+1| | Magic Stone (sp) | 1d6+1
    SV | Fort +8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +12 | | +2 Spell/Poison
    Str: 17 | Dex: 10 | Con: 10 | Int: 14 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 10
    Skills | Spot: +4 | Listen: +4 | Heal +12 | Concentration: +14 | Religion +7
    [/table]

Last edited by GMTrojan; 2009-07-14 at 11:32 PM.
    "Vision without action is a daydream...but Action without vision is a Nightmare!" -- Anon

"I AM NOT A MECHANIC" -- GMTrojan

16. - Top - End - #286
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

Egan can't hear the talking from across the room, but get the point as Adrian fiddles with the lock. Knock He twiddles his fingers at the lock across the room. "Get ready to hold the line friend. I fear that beast is about to notice us."

I do have a couple of those Ice Walls in store today. They will not hold a beast like this back for but a few seconds. For Kilmer's sake Throshkar, we may need to retreat from this battle today. Keep your mind about you to hear our call to fall back.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

As the lock flyies open Adrian grabs the handle and throws it open as quickly as he can, so as to avoid a second jolt of electricity.

About to notice us... huh. *eyeroll*

Egan, before we go, just remember, I want to bury this thing. The tower seems to be falling already. Can you give it a little... push as we leave?

Spoiler
    Show
    If the trap is still active and has reset...
    Reflex save, yay Evasion. (1d20+17)[37]
    one in twenty chance of failure...

Edit:
    ... *HEADDESK*

*HEADDESK REALLY HARD*

Do I open the door so awesomely that I manage to redirect the lightning off Throshkar and into the thing or something? Huh. [/sarcastic rant against the dice gods]
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2009-07-14 at 11:54 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

[OOC: So for Throshkar to get his full attack I am assuming that he is standing in the gap and holding his attack for when the creature comes. I have updated the map accordingly]

The creature comes into Throshkar's range and the knight makes a valent effort to slash it with only one swing making a solid mark. However, the sword fails to do as much damage as anticipated. Grog lets out a stream of fire (caster check - (1d20+12)[27]). The fire does some damage but less than Grog anticipated reflex - (1d20+7)[17]

The creature emits a cold, cloying miasma of greasy darkness you take (5d8)[21] damage and are sickened for (1d4)[4] rounds. A successful Will save reduces damage to half and negates the sickened effect. The effects cannot be negated by remove disease or heal, but remove curse is effective.

If you are neutral (LN, NN, or CN) you are not sickened. Such a creature can reduce the damage in half again (down to one-quarter) with a successful Will save.

[Monster: AC 23 (-1 size, +14 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 23; 82/138 hp]

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

The party has the initiative

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, will save time. Fingers crossed, or I'm in the negatives. Stupid critical faliures...
    Target DC on the will save?

Will: (1d20+4)[23]

Yes! Neutrality for the win.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2009-07-15 at 12:29 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_JJ View Post
    Target DC on the will save?
    Will DC 18

22. - Top - End - #292

Throshkar and Grog Ironshield
    Will Saves:
    Spoiler
    Show

Throsh's Will save:
    (d20+3)[22]
    Grog's Will save:
    (d20+12)[32]
    so, is that damage 10 or 11 pts (21/2 = 10.5...)
    Last edited by GMTrojan; 2009-07-15 at 02:42 AM.
    "Vision without action is a daydream...but Action without vision is a Nightmare!" -- Anon

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Kilmer shouts to Throshkar, "Throsh, can you hold the line until we can find a way out?" Then turning toward the Egan he replies, "Well met Egan, any bright ideas on how to get us out of this mess?"

24. - Top - End - #294

"General Kilmer, come help us get rid of this god awful thing! I have an extra great sword that is calling for a swing. Lets do it for the King!" Throsh then swings his trusty bastard sword as hard as he can. cutting deeply first, but the second and third swings can't find a hole in the monsters defenses.
    Spoiler
    Show

Using Bastard Sword+1
    Full Attack using Power Attack (same as above)
    (d20+16)[34] damage: (d10+11)[13]
    (d20+11)[12] damage: (d10+11)[18]
    (d20+6)[8] damage: (d10+11)[20]

Spoiler
    Show

{table] Throshkar | Human | Cavalier | LVL 12 | LG | Medium
    hp: 76/110 | | Spd: 20/15 | AC/T/FF | 21/11/20 /| +1 Plate Mail
    Masterwork Lance | +20/+15/+10 | 1d8+6 | x3 | No ranged atk
    +1 Bastard Sword | +19/+14/+9 | 1d10+7 | x2 | Crit 17-20
    SV | Fort +10 | Ref +5 | Wil +3||+2 v. Enchant, Sleep
    STR 20 | DEX 12 | CON 14 | INT 10 | WIS 8 | CHA 14
    Skills|Spot -1|Listen -1|Ride +12|Intimidate +11|Diplom. +4[/table]

Grog again starts another prayer Lord, make this man's skin as stone today..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Grog is casting Stoneskin on Throshkar.
    concentration roll (only if needed): (d20+14)[29]

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Grog | Dwarf | Cleric |Lvl 12 | NG | Medium
    [color=”red”]45[/color]/71 | | Spd: 20/20 | AC/T/FF | 17/10/17 | | Chainmail +1
    Adm. Hvy. Mace | +1 | 1d6+1| | Magic Stone (sp) | 1d6+1
    SV | Fort +8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +12 | | +2 Spell/Poison
    Str: [color=”red”]17[/color] | Dex: 10 | Con: 10 | Int: 14 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 10
    Skills | Spot: +4 | Listen: +4 | Heal +12 | Concentration: +14 | Religion +7
    [/table]
    Last edited by GMTrojan; 2009-07-15 at 03:36 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian winces as the wave of cold passes over him. I think not, Throshkar. He's badly beaten and our job is to get him out alive. Kilmer, you think we should be fearing anything in the Northern door? Egan can magic us out of the city, but if we can leave the tower and then bring it down...

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Kilmer shakes his head, "Throshkar, how will I swing a sword with irons on my wrists." He turns to Egan and continues, "Wizard, is it true you are planning on bring this tower down?

27. - Top - End - #297

throshkar
    Spoiler
    Show

roll for critical hit...
    (d20+16)[34]
    so 26 hp damage! YES!!
    Last edited by GMTrojan; 2009-07-15 at 03:41 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

"Well met, Kilmer. I am glad to see that the Dark Lord has not broken you. My hope in you has been assured today." Egan had not been around the cavaliers much, but had always had an appreciation for Kilmer and his strength of spirit. He was one of the few he could be comfortable around. "I have not plans for this tower. But the corruption here has stolen its power. It is ready to fall. With a little push from us it may go sooner. We may be known in history as those that destroyed the Wizard's Tower. I pray that is not a curse on my name."

"Adrian, check that door on the northern wall. It may be our quickest exit."

Will Save: (1d20+9)[18]

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Adrain
    Spoiler
    Show
    From your vantage point you can see the northern passage is blocked by rocks and rubble.

30. - Top - End - #300

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

After turning Adrian to the back, Egan tries to buy a tactical advantage for Throsh and Grog.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Web just past Throsh through the hallway with the demon.