New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Twilight - Love it, or Hate it?

Quote Originally Posted by osyluth View Post
    Although Twilight is apparently not actually that well liked by the majority of playgrounders, it is interesting that the series always seems to get such strong reactions. Even the people who don't like it seem to care enough about it that they want to express their opinions on the books. So what is it about Twilight that elicits these strong reactions? Is it the frequently mentioned sparkly vampires, or something else?
    I understand that you don't want to read through 21 pages of thread for the answer, so I'll sum up what I can remember.

First and foremost, the portrayal of an abusive stalker as the ideal boyfriend/husband.

Blatant author insert and the most horrific Mary Sue known to man.

Absolutely no character depth or development.

Vampires' only "weakness" being that they get prettier in direct sunlight.

No coherent plot.

Author's insistence that her version of vampires are scientifically viable (this offends me personally as a biologist. YMMV).

Overt religious propaganda.

Did I miss anything?
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Colossus in the Playground

Missed two things:

Insane fangirldom.

Undeserved popularity.

edit: Exhibit A

Vampires Drink Blood, But It’s The Fans That Bite
    Bookstore | New York, USA
    (A customer in her late teens approaches me in the bookstore.)

Customer: “Hey, do you guys sell the Twilight books?”

Me: “Yes, they’re right over there.”

Customer: “Have you read them?”

Me: “Yes, I have.”

Customer: “Didn’t you just LOVE them?!”

Me: “Well, actually, they aren’t really my type of book, so–”

Customer: *suddenly furious* “Are you f***ing serious?! These are the best books ever written! I’m going to tell Edward to come and bite you and drink all your blood!”

Me: *backing away* “Have a nice day, ma’am…”
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2009-07-25 at 03:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Troll in the Playground

Looking through the HP vs Twilight thread made me realize that I also missed pedophilia on the list.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    Looking through the HP vs Twilight thread made me realize that I also missed pedophilia on the list.
    Nobody should EVER miss pedophilia.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

I hate it. I hate it more than I hate New Age music, and being an Irish trad. musician, I hate New Age music a lot. I can voice my hatred, having been forced by my ex-girlfriend to read this garbage. No, I do not hate it because I associate it with my ex-girlfriend. Her forcing me to read Twilight was one of the factors contributing to our breaking up.

Let's see if I can list the reasons:

1. The entire book just reads like a a bad fanfiction that got published somehow. No literary merit, right off the bat- no actual descriptiveness (Edward is 'perfect', apparently. Nice texture.), no complex wordplay, nothing. Bella is the most obvious Mary Sue I have ever seen.

2. The plot development is awful, predictable, and boring.

3. The characters are so vague that a reader (who seem to be invariably female) can simply project themselves onto Bella and project the object of their juvenile girly-crush onto Edward.

4. I have heard someone compare this series to Shakespeare. To compare anything to Shakespeare is bad enough. To compare this garbage to the Bard? No. It being a love story does not make it anything like Romeo and Juliet (which itself is actually good mostly because of Shakespeare's touches- the piece that turns it from good story to great story. It's all in the telling.). This is worse than teenage girls who carry around a copy of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream" that they will never finish and that they cannot understand.

5. The attempts of the author to add some angst into the characters is just painful to read.

6. The book portrays an abusive relationship with a man who is only interested in you because of an addiction to your scent as idealized love. As if we needed to screw up young girl's heads any more.

7. It's vampires. I just hate vampires. They're such a stupid monster, always given cultish adoption by teenagers (or worse, adults) who desperately want to be 'dark', but are too afraid to just become LeVeyan Satanists (which would be perfectly OK- I love LeVeyan Satanists). They're the subject of so much Mary Sue and Gary Stu fantasies, and I'm sick of being approached by people who want me to read their own (invariably unreadable) vamp-stories. Vampires, unlike werewolves, zombies, or cyborgs, represent no deeper meaning to me. They are just an oversexed, over-glamorized walking corpse.

8. The idea of romance with vampires. I do not find this appealing. They are dead. Do you really want to make sweet love down by the fire with a person who died a few decades ago? That's not cool.

9. These books have made the idea of a non-evil vampire more popular than ever, leading to the Driz'zt effect. I refuse to put vampires in my games anymore.

10. The series got rid of all the vampiric weaknesses. Turning sparkly in the sun does not count as a disadvantage.

11. Why do vampires always have super-human abilities? Dying does not make you fast. Quite the opposite, in fact.

12. One of the vampires is named Emmet. I am not down with people stealing my name, especially to make a sidekick to a fangirl toy.

13. the book perpetuates the image of vampires as, in the words of Heroes of Horror, 'sensual beings for which the thirst for blood is a mere dietary quirk'.

14. I have heard it compared to Harry Potter, and called 'the next Harry Potter' or 'the new Harry Potter". I read Harry Potter. I knew Harry Potter. You, Twilight, are no Harry Potter.

Koboldsarbeiter avatar by Mindfreak

6. - Top - End - #636
    Orc in the Playground

The thing I liked about vampires was there weaknesses listed here:
    http://vampires.monstrous.com/weaknesses_vampire.htm

Those pretty much cover it.

But anyways now most modern books have taken those weaknesses away and ruined them. Blade didn't and for that i am thankful.

Books that changed vampires to much:
    Twilight
    Runaways Comic (minor case)
    Probably some others

Speaking of which has anyone seen this video?
    Cracked.com so not totally age appropriate for many I guess.
    http://www.cracked.com/video_17567_s...ended-cut.html (video)
    Last edited by littlequietguy; 2009-07-26 at 05:04 PM.
    Thanks Dogmantra for the two-face dressed up as him.
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/49682
    Click the dragons please!

Thanks to Nevitan for the Two Scale Dragon Avatar!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you Nevitan

__________________________________________________ ____
    Last edited by (Big Brother):Today at Zero Hour.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Renrik View Post
    I hate it. I hate it more than I hate New Age music, and being an Irish trad. musician, I hate New Age music a lot. I can voice my hatred, having been forced by my ex-girlfriend to read this garbage. No, I do not hate it because I associate it with my ex-girlfriend. Her forcing me to read Twilight was one of the factors contributing to our breaking up.

Let's see if I can list the reasons:
    3. The characters are so vague that a reader (who seem to be invariably female) can simply project themselves onto Bella and project the object of their juvenile girly-crush onto Edward.

4. I have heard someone compare this series to Shakespeare. To compare anything to Shakespeare is bad enough. To compare this garbage to the Bard? No. It being a love story does not make it anything like Romeo and Juliet (which itself is actually good mostly because of Shakespeare's touches- the piece that turns it from good story to great story. It's all in the telling.). This is worse than teenage girls who carry around a copy of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream" that they will never finish and that they cannot understand.
    6. The book portrays an abusive relationship with a man who is only interested in you because of an addiction to your scent as idealized love. As if we needed to screw up young girl's heads any more.
    14. I have heard it compared to Harry Potter, and called 'the next Harry Potter' or 'the new Harry Potter". I read Harry Potter. I knew Harry Potter. You, Twilight, are no Harry Potter.
    Nice list and funnily written. It's a sad story about your ex-girlfriend, are you exaggerating about it to make your list more funny?

8. - Top - End - #638
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Parlity View Post
    Nice list and funnily written. It's a sad story about your ex-girlfriend, are you exaggerating about it to make your list more funny?
    Not sad at all. We had irreconcilable personality differences. Mainly, she didn't like politics, and I didn't like Twilight.

Koboldsarbeiter avatar by Mindfreak

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

Really? Even worse than Eragon?

I keep seeing this. Can someone clarify how it's so overt or propaganda? I've seen things that argue that, but honestly the most I've seen is some connections between the series and Mormonism, and "some connections" is hardly propaganda. I haven't read the series, so I can't comment on it first-hand, but I'm not sure from what I've read about it how it could possibly be "overt religious propaganda." Is Mormonism even mentioned in the series? (no, seriously, is it? I don't know)

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Twilight Books = Couldn't read it beyond halfway. Eyes were bleeding.

Twilight Movie = Was forced to see it in theaters, drank a lot of soda so I could get a break from it when I went to the bathroom.

Twilight DVD = Got it for my birthday, makes a good disc for the bottom of a pile of disks on a spool, it's yet to get scratched or break.

Concultion = I love Twilight, I have never had a disk on the bottom of a spool last so long.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

I love Twilight because making fun of it will never become tired.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-07-27 at 09:43 AM.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I keep seeing this. Can someone clarify how it's so overt or propaganda? I've seen things that argue that, but honestly the most I've seen is some connections between the series and Mormonism, and "some connections" is hardly propaganda. I haven't read the series, so I can't comment on it first-hand, but I'm not sure from what I've read about it how it could possibly be "overt religious propaganda." Is Mormonism even mentioned in the series? (no, seriously, is it? I don't know)
    I haven't been able to bring myself to pick one of those books up either. But it's an accusation made against the series. As far as I know, no, Mormonism is not mentioned in the book. But, according to the reviews I've read, several of the key doctrines of that religion appear, albeit in a severely warped fashion. I wouldn't consider it propaganda either, but a lot of people apparently do, so I added it to the list.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #643
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, I saw the cover of some magazine and noticed that the lead actors of the movies are in relationship hell. Meaning combined with meyers unwilllingness to complete the book the franchise is dead on it's feet. And what with the haters and the lack of exec meddling that means odds are it won't be martyred. This is about the best end we coulld hope for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

14. - Top - End - #644

First and foremost, the portrayal of an abusive stalker as the ideal boyfriend/husband.

Absolutely no character depth or development.

Vampires' only "weakness" being that they get prettier in direct sunlight.

No coherent plot.

Author's insistence that her version of vampires are scientifically viable (this offends me personally as a biologist. YMMV).

Did I miss anything?
    ^ +1 QFT

\/-Real-Post-Below-\/
    ------------------------
    Ok, i think that you are right 'bout all of it, and i agree very strongly it is just a horrrible thing to say that a abusive stalker is the ideal boyfriend/husband.