New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: OOTS #658 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pyrefiend View Post
    The point Jeptcloak is making is that V should have an overland flight spell because he prepared it that day, it was replenished by the splice, and his old flight spell (before the splice) is the one that's been in effect this whole time. You could say that he re-chose his spells for the day when he got the splice, but that doesn't make much sense to me. Choosing the spells requires concentration or at least conscious thought, whereas receiving raw arcane power to replenish spells already chosen doesn't seem like it would need to.
    Eh, the Advanced Time Stop that the IFCC used is expressly illegal according to all the rules of DnD (except for possibly magic of the Gods, and since the IFCC aren't gods by their own admission...) I can see that part of the Soul Splice deal lets you instantly rechoose your spells as opposed to waiting 15 minutes to do so.

One is just as rule breaking as the other, so I really don't see the big deal here.

If you want to criticize V, criticize him for not memorizing another Fly type spell. But then we enter the realm of judgemen...

... And we all know how well V's judgement was at the time.

Edit: No, you're misunderstanding his argument. V doesn't need another fly spell, the one he'd been using was cast before the splice and was in use this whole time. The duration is one hour/level. Jeptcloak has a valid argument here, although this isn't necessarily an oversight on Rich's part.
    That was nuked by the Superior Dispel spell.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2009-06-01 at 09:08 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

OT: I just got the first post of pages 4, 5, and 6 in a row!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Belkar=awsome View Post
    It was a speculation thread, and it started with "Everybody remember the raven, V's familiar (Blackwing/Arrow shooting target)? He's gonna come back, that's what I think." thank you very fricking much. The rest was discussion.

Congrats! You've just failed a spot check!
    Two words. and so it is declared close enough!

Let's hope that V has Featherfall, since it is clear that V does not have a fly spell nor did she choose it again when her spells were refreshed following the soul splice.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Now its time for the ultimate sacrifice: giving up the world's most useless familiar.

Seriously great comic. Good to see V talking without a frustration line above his eyes.
    A handful of true friends, an infinite supply of sodas, a collection of bad movies, and a full supply of webcomics are all one really needs to be happy.

Awesome avatar by Keris Rain!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malanthyus View Post
    What are the odds the bird flies over the rift, Xykon zooms out to snatch the phylactery, holds him it up triumphantly, and gets snagged by the Snarl?
    I was going to say no, that couldn't happen, because we know Xykon is going to be at Girard's Gate first. But then I thought -- and this is way off the wall --
    Spoiler
    Show
    the Rift is connected to Girard's Gate too, isn't it? Could Xykon swim the Phantom Zone Snarl's prison and come out Girard's Gate?
    (No, I don't really think that. But what if?)

6. - Top - End - #156
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Has anyone noticed the best part? There's more than just one of left!

Also, I loved the joke here. I hope Vaarsuvius and O-Chul make it out alive, but I don't really see how that is possible. Go Blackwing!
    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Crap. Now the fecal matter is really going to hit the rotary air impeller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faleldir View Post
    I'm still waiting for Haley to get her voice back. Last time I checked, she never literally received an actual horse as a gift.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I know. But I can't resist a good "told you so". Besides, who else made a thread about Blackwing coming back soon? Nobody? Just me? Yeah, thought so.

I don't really have any bragging rights, except for remembering Blackwing a dozen strips before everyone else. But that's good enough for me!
    Hehe. XD Yeah, okay. Although, technically, there HAVE been a few people wondering whether the Soul Splice and V's heightened "effective level" would have an impact on Blackwing's abilities, as well.
    But yeah, no one explicitly brought it up.
    You know, I actually predicted the fact that O-Chul would know about Xykon's phylactery months ago, and then mentioned it again during the recent arc, so it became a commonly accepted theory and I never really got the chance to brag about it at all.... so I know how you feel. XD
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

8. - Top - End - #158

Ridiculously epic strip.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Rafu View Post
    I think Chekov is spelled with a . . .

Like I spelled it.
    Minstrel Emeritus of the Elan Fan Club
    Elan.
    He's useful!

Join, join, join, join the Elan Fan Club!

11. - Top - End - #161

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by NakedCelt View Post
    I was going to say no, that couldn't happen, because we know Xykon is going to be at Girard's Gate first. But then I thought -- and this is way off the wall --
    Spoiler
    Show
    the Rift is connected to Girard's Gate too, isn't it? Could Xykon swim the Phantom Zone Snarl's prison and come out Girard's Gate?
    (No, I don't really think that. But what if?)

Okay. That ... would be AWESOME.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously. Everyone sees Xykon get sucked into the Snarl's dimension, and goes, "CRAP! There goes the main villain! I guess Redcloak's gonna step up after all ..." (Or for some people, it would be "YAY! There goes the comic relief villain, here comes the REAL villain," but bah to those people.)

And then, when all is set for an epic showdown as the OotS and Redcloak (with new mage of some sort in tow) make their way to Girard's Gate and begin the fight for it, Xykon bursts out of the rift, destroying the gate in the process, and is so seriously pissed off that he tries to kill EVERYONE. And probably succeeds.

I agree, very unlikely. But that just became my new favorite theory, even if it means no more Xykon for about a hundred strips.

12. - Top - End - #162

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by choie View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Blackwing takes the phylactery and tosses it into the Rift. Xykon tries to zap the bird, but O-Chul flings himself into the blast of the spell, sacrificing himself.
    or
    Spoiler
    Show
    O-Chul hangs the phylactery on Blackwing to give it more heft and throws Blackwing into the Rift.

In either case, O-Chul gains ever-lasting glory. My way, he gets a few laughs, too.

13. - Top - End - #163

tongue Re: OOTS #658 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post

Okay. That ... would be AWESOME.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously. Everyone sees Xykon get sucked into the Snarl's dimension, and goes, "CRAP! There goes the main villain! I guess Redcloak's gonna step up after all ..." (Or for some people, it would be "YAY! There goes the comic relief villain, here comes the REAL villain," but bah to those people.)

And then, when all is set for an epic showdown as the OotS and Redcloak (with new mage of some sort in tow) make their way to Girard's Gate and begin the fight for it, Xykon bursts out of the rift, destroying the gate in the process, and is so seriously pissed off that he tries to kill EVERYONE. And probably succeeds.

I agree, very unlikely. But that just became my new favorite theory, even if it means no more Xykon for about a hundred strips.
    New favorie theory? Ditto x 2.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

For some reason, everybody is worried about His Epic Holiness O-Chul and Vaarsuvius not surviving to live another day, when there's the slight chance of O-Chul NOT giving Xykon the chance to kill them. So...

Spoiler
    Show
    O-Chul is probably going to deal a leap of faith, so as to not let Xykon kill him. Of course, that's just AFTER Blackwing delivers the phylactery, in which Xykon will probably be so amused so as to have V lose XP in order to destroy the phylactery.

Probably boasts that said phylactery WASN'T the real one. Blackwing dies.

Meanwhile, V is thrown away, to its death.

And at the floor, V meets...the whoopie cushion monsters, saving them from the fall. And one of them already knocked out by O-Chul.

And the real phylactery? Probably is left somewhere, where the death of Blackwing causes it to be dragged away.

Yeah, probably too insane to be true. But at least one of the things should happen.

Oh, and BTW...it's spelled Chekhov. Just as any possible individual who probably ninja-posts before me might say.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird97 View Post
    You know, I can't really think of a way this can work, Xykon will just kill Blackwing, or maybe Blackwing won't do anything at all, then Xykon will finish off V and O-Chul...
    Familiars get improved evasion IIRC.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeptCloak View Post
    Funny story... the soul splice replenished V's spell slots, so V should still have fly.
    Only if V repletished a Fly in it...
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

17. - Top - End - #167

SamuraiGuy

Is there any evidence that V prepared fly in the first place, and instead cast the spell from one of the splices?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    In either case, O-Chul gains ever-lasting glory. My way, he gets a few laughs, too.
    Your way, he kills a sapient creature the same alignment as Vaarsuvius in a thoroughly callous and un-O-Chulish way.

19. - Top - End - #169

My theory:

Spoiler
    Show
    Blackwing flies with the phylactery towards the rift.

Meanwhile, the resistance happens to be sneaking towards the castle for a surprise. They spot the raven, fearing that it's an enemy patrol of some sort and ... something like this.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

That was friggin' awesome! Go O-Chul! (You roach killer!)

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    A question: What, exactly, is the reference in the title? (I'm assuming there IS one, naturally.)
    Bird in the Hand is worth two in the Bush??

22. - Top - End - #172

WolfInSheepsClothing

Very Very funny. I love Blackwing's "appearance when needed."
    Entropy Rules!!

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

In a world where the characters rely on Wily E Coyote for laws of motion? Yeah, sure, that's as likely to happen as Belkar apologizing for something.
    Belkar HAS appologized for things.

Just cause it was sarcastic and hurtful, doesn't mean he didn't say he was sorry.

24. - Top - End - #174

But V didn't chant anything, nor even flick a finger. Can't tell if it's one of those spells that you can cast with thought alone, but anyway Blackwing appeared of its own volition?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

i didn't think we would see blackwing again. perhaps this will be the last time we see him.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

I like this.

Go, Blackwing, go! Make your heroic sacrifice! Your fanclub will remember you forever!

(We do have a Blackwing fanclub, yes?)
    Never eat French fish. They're poisson.

Avatar by Elder Tsofu. May he forever be as awesome as he is when I typed this.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Some interesting questions now, are how many hitpoints does V have
    left atm, and is hir Constitution score currently an even number?
    Remember that there is a reason familiars are mostly forgotten until
    they are the only means to an end because the wizard looses
    one point in Constitution permanently if hir familiar dies.
    This can reduce the hitpoints of the wizard by hir level if it
    currently is an even number, and for a wizard over level 10
    this can be lethal if s(he) is at around 1 hitpoint when the familiar dies.

If V is in the danger zone here, does (s)he dare send Blackwing
    on the quite dangerous mission to destroy the phylactery.

Small theory:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe Readcloak gets one of the escaped souls from Vs
    soulsplice to replace Xykon

GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
    But V didn't chant anything, nor even flick a finger. Can't tell if it's one of those spells that you can cast with thought alone, but anyway Blackwing appeared of its own volition?
    Not at all. V, faced with a problem that she could not solve with magic, remembered that she had a familiar uniquely suited to the task at hand.
    Minstrel Emeritus of the Elan Fan Club
    Elan.
    He's useful!

Join, join, join, join the Elan Fan Club!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm... another possible thing that could happen is the prisoners of azure city resisting and doing something, most likely causing a distraction.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Banned

The ones making drama out of it are you guys. I am simply pointing out yet another plot hole, and muttering about it.

Plot holes hurt suspension of disbelief, and mess up the story. I'd like them to be explained, or for the story to be written in a way that they aren't plot holes.

V was already flying when the ABD came along, hence already had a flight spell going. We've seen no fly spell since then, so the one in effect the whole time was V's assumedly. The splice "replenished" his spell slots, so by a sensible reading he should have his fly spell back, even if he had only prepared one.

Now, sure, you can invent ways around this, just like people tried to claim Xykon had an unseen rod of maximising, or that some unknown character who exited the story thereafter cast Xykon's invisibility. It's just these explanations are lame, and if you need to invent bizarre explanations like this then it's probably not a very well executed story.

If you want to believe that Rich wrote the story intending the replenishing to mean "you will be able to look over your spells and pick which ones you want then replenish them" (all offpanel, followed by V madly laughing), then fine, but let's not suggest it's the sensible reading as opposed to you reaching for answers. Ironically the same people making this suggestion are the ones who scoffed at the idea that V necessarily knew what spells the splices had, which means we are to believe V had time to go over and pick which spells he wanted in that instant of splicing, but was unable to look over the spell list the splices had. SCRUBBED.

I can guess what you mean by "a spell that may or may not have been disjunction", but do you really want to go there?