New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Fire Emblem Classic

I've just recently replayed the GBA Fire Emblem games I have (Fūin no Tsurugi, Rekka No Ken/Blazing Sword (The US "Fire Emblem), and Sacred Stones), and I sort of wanted some more, so I got the fan patch of Seisen No Kifu ("Genealogy of the Holy War") and played through that. I had a blast, although the ending chapters were sort of sadistic (8 range ten magic units with 50/50 durability weapons, where most of my units had 8-10 Res) and incredibly unbalanced (large cavalry regiments could land six-seven attacks on a stationary unit, so it becomes incredibly important to check movement ranges, which are uniformly huge (8 is common, up to 13 is possible I think), dancers are extremely powerful, Holsety and Balmung are broken, etc.)

I recently started Thracia 776. The fan patch isn't quite as good - dialogue is okay so far, but shops/item descriptions aren't. It's pretty fun, too, although item management is a pain and you get way too many axes and not enough lances early game, as well as no healer for three chapters. I'm sort of worried about fatigue, too, but I think I'll be okay.

So, reminisces? Suggestions? Would anyone recommend trying out Fire Emblem/Gaiden? I started Shadow Dragon but found the graphics to be worse than sacred stones, and I really, really miss having save states. (I am an unabashed cheater when level ups are random and spend an inordinate amount of time to get an Erk with maxed Mag/Skl/Spd).

Also, are the GC/Wii games worth it? I remember trying one but losing interest after a few chapters.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Fire Emblem Classic

Radiant Dawn is the only one out of GC/Wii pair that has mid-battle saves. And even then, that's only on the lower two difficulty settings. And it tries to approach Genealogy of the Holy War in difficulty.

Also, see thread here.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-10-27 at 12:05 PM.