New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwarf fortress

1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf fortress

Nah, send a champion at the buggers and they aren't hard to kill at all...

It does take forever though...

2. - Top - End - #512
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anyone else have a sudden compulsion to put bags of sand in lines at your main entrance? That has... So much novelty potential
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

You really ought to be able to build sandbags... they'd be passable (not by wagons though), but would offer SOME protection from arrows (maybe a 30-50% chance that an arrow/bolt passing over the spot will stick in the sandbag instead), and will slow down anyone crossing over it. Typically the AI will want to go around (if possible). If they are lit on fire, it is destroyed and a sand tile is created underneath reflecting the type of sand that the bag contained.

4. - Top - End - #514

Yes.

A thousand times, yes.

Also, upon learning that you can have turbans (something the humans are good for ), I also have the urge to make a desert fort, made complete with Dwarves that think they're Persian.

...... With a palace as the building project.
    Thanks for existing.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

They can only wield bucklers and either spears or scimitars then.

6. - Top - End - #516

They can only wield bucklers and either spears or scimitars then.
    Of course! In fact, they'll also wear robes, sandals and chainmail.

... And turbans.

Interesting... Just spent an hour world-generating for a desert/mountain/ocean map (fairly obvious why), and I ended up with a massive, mountainous desert with random-seeming forests popping up throughout as though struggling to exist (which, considering my rainfall, is not a far cry from the truth).

There's also a haunted ocean in the center, like a huge jet stone in an amulet. (simile FTW )

Also, there seems to be a Dwarven Forest Retreat. Go figure...

All in all, these "Windy Dimensions" look nice
    Almost makes up for how many times I had to tweak the parameters
    Thanks for existing.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

Had my first siege. I had fun with my drawbridge. I waited till half the gobbos were on top of it and I pulled the leaver. 3/4 of them fell in the channel below. Made easy picking for my marksdwarves afterwards.

So question for you guys. My cage traps got 2 gobbos. How do I get the gobbos out? I'm planning on stationing my champion sworddwarves who weild masterwork obsidian short swords to cut them apart once I let them out.
    Last edited by ObadiahtheSlim; 2009-06-26 at 08:10 PM.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

8. - Top - End - #518
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Is there any way to determine when a dwarf arrived to your fortress other than making a note of it? It'd be very handy to know.
    -"I believe in gender equality, so SHOOT ME YOU WUSSY!"
    -Oh hey, let's go steal the tv from the corpse house?" NOBODY HAS EVER SAID THAT UTAHRAPTOR!
    -Stan you're pointing a gun to GOD. I.. I can't even THINK of a better metaphor.

9. - Top - End - #519

My 1st desert fort, which has no trees and is on an aquifer, is going to be a difficult place to live on.

Especially since it has carp

Well, on the bright side, I guess I'll get to finally see them...
    Thanks for existing.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    So question for you guys. My cage traps got 2 gobbos. How do I get the gobbos out? I'm planning on stationing my champion sworddwarves who weild masterwork obsidian short swords to cut them apart once I let them out.
    I think you can assign them to a pit. You can also build the cages and link them to a lever. Either way, make sure to dump all the goblins' gear (using the mass-dump command on the cages, then un-dump-marking the cages themselves) before letting them loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Greep View Post
    Is there any way to determine when a dwarf arrived to your fortress other than making a note of it? It'd be very handy to know.
    Not as far as I know.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2009-06-26 at 11:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    My 1st desert fort, which has no trees and is on an aquifer, is going to be a difficult place to live on.

Especially since it has carp

Well, on the bright side, I guess I'll get to finally see them...
    Just keep your dwarves away from the carp and you'll be fine... Damming up the river is an easy way to kill them all (especially considering you aren't using marksmen).

Make sure to import alot of wood... you'll need it. (Metalsmithing and beds mostly, but still).

12. - Top - End - #522

I just acquired the game and boy, am I confused...

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
    That's perfectly normal. Dwarf Fortress has a rather steep learning curve. But trust me, if you get past that, it's one of the most addictive and Fun games out there.

14. - Top - End - #524

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    That's perfectly normal. Dwarf Fortress has a rather steep learning curve. But trust me, if you get past that, it's one of the most addictive and Fun games out there.
    Might be... But I've had enough learning for today

15. - Top - End - #525

OldWizardGuy

Ugh... my current fortress is falling apart. The cause? IMP FAT. Naturally my dwarves have the good sense to run around stockpiles igniting every barrel in sight while they run around screaming.
    Last edited by Greep; 2009-06-27 at 05:25 AM.
    -Oh hey, let's go steal the tv from the corpse house?" NOBODY HAS EVER SAID THAT UTAHRAPTOR!
    -Stan you're pointing a gun to GOD. I.. I can't even THINK of a better metaphor.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Banned

Nope. Unless it's in your announcements I don't think there's a way. If it's in your announcements you can count back how many seasons it was, but in order to still have it in there you'd have to turn off most of the ones you get all the time like X is more experienced, cat is too injured, misplaced item, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
    First you need to learn to make your dwarves carve out the bare essentials. You need food, beds and booze to start off with I would say. You really do need to look at the wikipedia tutorial for some things. Unless you want to work it out all by trial and error and have fifty or so failed fortresses with mad dwarves drowned in magma.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    First you need to learn to make your dwarves carve out the bare essentials. You need food, beds and booze to start off with I would say. You really do need to look at the wikipedia tutorial for some things. Unless you want to work it out all by trial and error and have fifty or so failed fortresses with mad dwarves drowned in magma.
    But isn't that what Dwarf Fortress is all about?

18. - Top - End - #528

OldWizardGuy

Losing only gets fun when you're experienced. Losing as a newbie causes most people to quit :(

19. - Top - End - #529
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    But isn't that what Dwarf Fortress is all about?
    For me it is building the perfect fortress. Completely efficient. With obsidian towers and a silver road, adamantine-clad champions guarding the hallowed halls and a golden throne room where the king himself sits upon a throne which even the next richest mortal could not ever hope to afford.

20. - Top - End - #530

OldWizardGuy

Oh that's just BRILLIANT. OF COURSE YOU CAN PUT MORE FLAMMABLE BOOZE BARRELS NEAR THE BURNING LEOPARD FAT! GO RIGHT AHEAD!

21. - Top - End - #531
    Banned

Oh that's just BRILLIANT. OF COURSE YOU CAN PUT MORE FLAMMABLE BOOZE BARRELS NEAR THE BURNING LEOPARD FAT! GO RIGHT AHEAD!
    Them dorfs man. Them dorfs.

22. - Top - End - #532

OldWizardGuy

In retrospect, I probably should've taken the artifact fire imp bone amulet as a foreshadowing of impending firey doom.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

But they were labeled "inflammable..."

Boatmurdered is a great example how to not play.

Btw, watch your dwarves carefully, espically if you think that there are fewer in a location than there should be. I was watching a movie while playing. I start paying attention to see that 15 of my dwarves drowned trying to pull one guys corpse from the river. One would leave, die, activating another to get the last guy. Was a shame because, for whatever reason, it got my 2 best miners and wrestlers :'(
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

24. - Top - End - #534

OldWizardGuy

Heeee... heeee... heeeheeee! So I disable the food piles so they don't add more to it and make another one. Then they transport burning food to that stockpile. Then I get "Gem Cutter cancelled drink: Job item lost or destroyed" Omg! They were drinking flaming beer!

25. - Top - End - #535

Which reminds me; is there a safe way to teach my dwarves to swim? I'm getting more than annoyed at how I lose bodies in water...

I mean, ideally, the swimmer can save them, but realistically?

Well, it's a lot easier to dive than drain an entire lake (though the latter is quite entertaining).
    Thanks for existing.

26. - Top - End - #536

OldWizardGuy

Which reminds me; is there a safe way to teach my dwarves to swim? I'm getting more than annoyed at how I lose bodies in water...

I mean, ideally, the swimmer can save them, but realistically?

Well, it's a lot easier to dive than drain an entire lake (though the latter is quite entertaining).
    If in doubt check the wiki :) I think "swim" has three or four ways.

27. - Top - End - #537

Huh. So, when there's a shallow brook that my dwarves insist on crossing, not only is there no reason to block them, but also there's a reason not to block them?

Now, if only more of my dwarves fell in water near a brook, I'd be set
    Thanks for existing.

28. - Top - End - #538

Another idea; the hole.

It's a tiny, 3x3-5x5 cubicle embedded in the lowest Z-level you can occupy. There is a grate system that lets a short stream of water flow in and out, and there is a shaft leading to the room from the surface (or wherever) that allows a Dwarf to drop food into it.

The result; after placing a prisoner in this bad boy, he's being fed and watered while in the DF equivalent of solitary.

He finally dies when he goes melancholy and refuses to eat.

Maybe I can combine this with my artificial whirlpool idea...
    Thanks for existing.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    For me it is building the perfect fortress. Completely efficient. With obsidian towers and a silver road, adamantine-clad champions guarding the hallowed halls and a golden throne room where the king himself sits upon a throne which even the next richest mortal could not ever hope to afford.
    I'm saving up my artifact glass throne for that. No obsidian towers on my current fort. Not enough of it really. I do have chert towers though and a chert paved road.

Edit: DARNIT. Stupid woodcutter gets a fey mood and what does he make? A nice artifact bed or useful furniture? No! He builds a useless bucket. Oh well I guess I can replace my well and use that bucket.
    Last edited by ObadiahtheSlim; 2009-06-27 at 09:50 AM.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

30. - Top - End - #540
    Banned

Which reminds me; is there a safe way to teach my dwarves to swim?
    Yes. Dig out a small pit in an area that everyone goes through, designate it a pond and fill it only 4/7 full of water. Instant swimming pool.