New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1484

Thread: Dwarf fortress

1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf fortress

The only glass weapons you can make outside of strange mood stuff, is trap weapons like giant serrated disks and such.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Colossus in the Playground

Hmm. I last played this game when it was still 2D, and gave up when I had survived the first winter...
    I might try it again.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Hmm. I last played this game when it was still 2D, and gave up when I had survived the first winter...
    I might try it again.
    DO IT! DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!

Just remember:

LOSING IS FUN!

EDIT: BLASTED GIANT JUST WON'T DIE!!!!
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-10-25 at 07:52 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    The only glass weapons you can make outside of strange mood stuff, is trap weapons like giant serrated disks and such.
    Oh, right. My bad... I forgot that Silver is the one weak material normal weapons can be made from.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Bugbear in the Playground

Glass is nice, but until I get more Dwarves and a decent Magma Works set up it's a distant luxury. With only 5 dwarves, I really can't spare anyone to make glass.

My only current problem is that the Aquafier and the Magma is so close I don't have much room for a magma works, and certainly not a safe one.

Once I get some more dwarves, I might be able to spare some labor to create a complex arrangement to dig out an aquafier and divert a small controlled amount of water into the magma pipe. That should give me more room to work. Then I can just channel the magma to single squares for the works and wall of any imps and the like.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ettin in the Playground
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    EDIT: BLASTED GIANT JUST WON'T DIE!!!!

Someone call the mods! He's trying to kill the Giant!

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post

Someone call the mods! He's trying to kill the Giant!

I sense a bad joke!

9. - Top - End - #1449

I've about given up on lever activated drawbridges. I dunno if its just me or something funky in the .ini, but one of my nobles thinks that his only purposes in life are to eat, sleep, drink, and pull the one lever that works my drawbridge. I've lost 0 dwarves to starvation, thirst, wounds, moods, or invasion. He's killed 13 by himself.......

EDIT: no, there are no pull Lever task on repeat on the lever, thats the 1st thingy i checked.
    Last edited by Celesyne; 2009-10-25 at 03:12 PM.
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Colossus in the Playground

Holy Crap! It's in 3D!

Just had to get that out of my system. That really changes a lot. I've also found a nice starting place for my fortress...

There's a river in a four space wide canyon. It's eight levels deep. I've built my main entrance into a perfectly vertical cliff, with a rather gentle slope on the other side and a drawbridge connecting the two sides. Caravans are perfectly able to reach the bridge, but it's easy to defend.
    The cliff goes two levels up above the entrance and five levels down. Survive that, damn goblins.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne View Post
    I've about given up on lever activated drawbridges. I dunno if its just me or something funky in the .ini, but one of my nobles thinks that his only purposes in life are to eat, sleep, drink, and pull the one lever that works my drawbridge. I've lost 0 dwarves to starvation, thirst, wounds, moods, or invasion. He's killed 13 by himself.......

EDIT: no, there are no pull Lever task on repeat on the lever, thats the 1st thingy i checked.
    Seems to me like it's time for you noble to be "accidentally" caught underneath a drawbridge as it lowers.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne View Post

He won't pull a lever unless you issue an order to pull a lever or he is insane. Noble and kids tend to be the ones who pull levers if you have jobs for all your other dwarves. Lever pulling is one of the few All Dwarf jobs and those are the only kind of jobs nobles and kids will do.

13. - Top - End - #1453

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogman View Post
    Glass is nice, but until I get more Dwarves and a decent Magma Works set up it's a distant luxury. With only 5 dwarves, I really can't spare anyone to make glass.

My only current problem is that the Aquafier and the Magma is so close I don't have much room for a magma works, and certainly not a safe one.

Once I get some more dwarves, I might be able to spare some labor to create a complex arrangement to dig out an aquafier and divert a small controlled amount of water into the magma pipe. That should give me more room to work. Then I can just channel the magma to single squares for the works and wall of any imps and the like.
    Channel out the aquifer and pump magma into the water. Should turn into obsidian, which you can mine out to make rooms.

Also, only five? What happened to the other two?

14. - Top - End - #1454

Rather than Pump, because the Aquafier was on the same z level as the magma, I just rigged up a basic "spigot" mechanic that allowed me to make obsidian at will. I was going to proceed to make my magma stuff immedately afterward, but one of the 22 immigrants got a fey mood immediately upon arriving, and demanded glass.

And of course I was waiting for immigrants to start up my glassmaking industry due to a lack of labor.

Also, one of the Dwarves was eaten by a skeletal alligator, and the second one got burned to a crisp due to a mining accident while prospecting for the Pipe.

Luckily, the fey dwarf just wants green glass, and I had already dug out an area for glass production.

And as I type it, my fey dwarf is making some sort of Raw Glass / Ash Logs thing.

Hope tt's something good.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

One of my dorfs had a strange mood, and made a turtle shell helmet. Not only did he see fit to adorn it with a picture of Sharkballs (another artifact, the giant opal I mentioned earlier), but as a finishing touch, he vomited all over his masterpiece.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Titan in the Playground

That dwarf is truely a genious that will be sung of in ages to come.

17. - Top - End - #1457

I never figured out how to make glass... Which is really sad, because I played Legend of Dragoon as a kid and I want to recreate the Crystal Palace (Huge tower wrapped in crystals (or huge crystal spire with stone embedded?))

For some reason it never let me gather, even when I had a bag surplus...

Another idea I had that I never planned too hard about; making a typical, underground fort with only one underground entrance, flooding the world with magma and letting it drain somehow, and then starting a new settlement on top of the wastes. If ever I do that, it shall be called "Megaton".

That's right, a Fallout 3 reference

I was also going to make hanging houses in a hollow mountain, but I never finished the "hollowing" bit...
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

18. - Top - End - #1458

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    I never figured out how to make glass... Which is really sad, because I played Legend of Dragoon as a kid and I want to recreate the Crystal Palace (Huge tower wrapped in crystals (or huge crystal spire with stone embedded?))

For some reason it never let me gather, even when I had a bag surplus...

Another idea I had that I never planned too hard about; making a typical, underground fort with only one underground entrance, flooding the world with magma and letting it drain somehow, and then starting a new settlement on top of the wastes. If ever I do that, it shall be called "Megaton".

That's right, a Fallout 3 reference

I was also going to make hanging houses in a hollow mountain, but I never finished the "hollowing" bit...
    You need to designate an area of sand with a "sand collection" area, you do it the same way you designate a meeting area (i).

19. - Top - End - #1459

I actually did that too... It's conceivable that I didn't have fuel, but I doubt that I would make such a mistake after figuring out how to make it. It kept saying that I didn't have any bags... And I did...

... And I can't figure out what the mistake was until I fix my computer...
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Titan in the Playground

Funfact: Did you guys know that a wagon can trample invaders? A single-frogman-siege attacked as a caravan was leaving. Two wagons ran him over, breaking his hand and head and knocking him unconsious (the wrestler didnt even hurt any of the merchants or horses). The guards then finished him off.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    I actually did that too... It's conceivable that I didn't have fuel, but I doubt that I would make such a mistake after figuring out how to make it. It kept saying that I didn't have any bags... And I did...

... And I can't figure out what the mistake was until I fix my computer...
    To do a glass industry you need

Empty bags
    Sand with a zone designations for sand collection
    To build your glass furnace you will first need 1 fireproof building material (stone or metal block). If you build the magma version it needs at least 1 tile with 4/7 magma under it to power it. Otherwise you need 1 coke.

To get coke, you need to turn 1 log into charcoal at a wood furnace, or you need to smelt 1 lignate or Bituminous coal.

For clear glass, you will need 1 additional pearlash made from potash (which is made from ash or lye).

For crystal glass you don't use sand. Instead you use 1 uncut rock crystal. That means you gotta mine it yourself. You can't buy uncut gems from vendors.

If you have all these things then you will be good. Sand collection is a furniture hauling job so you need at least 1 dwarf with that labor. You also need at least 1 dwarf with glassmaking labor to make the glass.

22. - Top - End - #1462

it also takes the glassmaking labor to collect the sand, since it is queued at the glass furnace. Glass is wondermous for infintesmal amounts of thos Large serrated sawblades and the like for weapon traps ./giggle
    Last edited by Celesyne; 2009-10-26 at 11:23 AM.
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

23. - Top - End - #1463

Alright I'm stuck in an area filled to the brim with red sand. I want to try for a glass economy but, I have no stone. There are some boulders on top but I don't know how to use these. Any suggestions?
    Spoiler
    Show

There was a time when I marched across the fields of battle, crushing those who opposed my lord and master. There was a time when I stared into the heart of darkness itself and did not tremble. These days are past me now. My lord is dead by my hand and I have shunned the light that once guided me. I do not seek your pity, I only seek the vengeance that is rightfully mine.
    - The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:
    Thank you Haruhi for the amazing Avatar.

Fullmetal Alchemy

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Ogre in the Playground

if you don't have rock, then you need to dig down a few z levels. Unless you are on a mountain, the top few z layers will be a soil of some sort. Going downward will get you to your stone layers. The top few are usually either sedimentary or igneous extrusion. Still further down are your metamorphic and igneous intrusion layers. You'll know what layers are there because they show up in the embark screen.

What do you mean by glassmaking labor to collect the glass? Once you make the glass it is going to be either item hauling (for trap weapons and raw glass) or furniture hauling. Sand collection IIRC is one of the hauling jobs. I know it isn't glassmaking because i normally have a few extra glass furnaces that just have collect sand tasks queued up. My haulers typically will take care of that while my glassmaker is busy making glass at another forge.
    Last edited by ObadiahtheSlim; 2009-10-26 at 09:08 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1465

Thanks for the tips I'm used to fairly rocky areas and I only recently started playing so I still have to get used to things.
    Spoiler
    Show

There was a time when I marched across the fields of battle, crushing those who opposed my lord and master. There was a time when I stared into the heart of darkness itself and did not tremble. These days are past me now. My lord is dead by my hand and I have shunned the light that once guided me. I do not seek your pity, I only seek the vengeance that is rightfully mine.
    - The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:
    Thank you Haruhi for the amazing Avatar.

Fullmetal Alchemy

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmmm i never knew you could make a glass saw blade ..... this is news to me, poor goblins will never know what hitum ... though i still have alot of work to do on my death trap defence, i plan to have my bridges open via pressure plate, i got to link it all to all my bridges, a big task for my mechanics though soon my entry way will have a roof over it and that hated sun will be gone, aside from the light at the end of the tunnel that is, its a very interesting fort if i do say so myself :P though at this moment there is a major bed shortage and everyone is kinda sleeping in the undersized barracks and the hospital, which does remind me i need a well .... hmmm
    Last edited by Ilena; 2009-10-26 at 10:02 AM.
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    —The Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, you can use glass for trap components, but that doesnt make it a good idea. Glass deals pathetic damage compared to steel... its less than half.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, glass works just fine for trap components because traps are so broken. If you've got ten giant serrated discs in a trap, an attacker is going to be instagibbed no matter what they're made of. Multiply that by a dozen rows of traps and you might as well use your steel for armor and weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Titan in the Playground

Eh... good point... Considering you could get them in such bulk only makes it better for you.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, Dwarf Therapist is a really useful tool for managing your fortress. It gives an overview of all your dorfs' skills and jobs, and you can set up custom professions. Much easier than configuring every dorf's jobs individually in Dwarf Fortress.