New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Escape from Tolmere Asylum

"...runes." Lucian curses, and backs up, looking at the runes, examining how they work. "Never again. Never again."
    He glances up, to see if it's just a wall, or a dome (and also noting the time of day, incidentally).

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, going to try to escape, though it's obviously going to be impossible from a metagaming standpoint.
    What's the distance from the wall at which I begin to lose my powers?
    And hopefully the arcana check will be able to tell me not only how to ruin the runes, but how close I can get to them while still being able to cast spells:
    Arcana - (1d20+16)[34]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Once Sagary has ascertained that none of the people around the cellblock are much of a threat, he opens his eyes and begins to stride purposefully towards the stairs, seeking to get to the ground floor and outside. He largely ignores anyone who attempts to strike up a conversation, only pushing them aside with his staff if they get in his way, though if attacked he will fight back.

Once outside the cell block, Sagary will watch what happens to the other man going down the corridor and, if he doesn't make it through, will approach the guards.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lucian-

You begin losing power about 15 feet away from the wall.

edit: You recognise the runes as being the same as in your cell. One of the more prominent runes translates to "draw" (as in draw out of).
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-09 at 11:57 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anything else the natural 18 on the Arcana check told me?

EDIT: Any particular language? I've got Primordial, Abyssal, Supernal... basically all the ones no one else knows.
    Also, can I still cast spells at, say 10 feet effectively?

Or did I need higher for that?
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-09 at 12:00 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35

You beat me to my edit-

You recognise the runes as being the same as in your cell. One of the more prominent runes translates to "draw" (as in draw out of).

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

...What are the chances of that? Post and edit at exactly the same time, twice in a row.

Anyway, from my previous edit:
    Any particular language? I've got Primordial, Abyssal, Supernal... basically all the ones no one else knows.
    Also, can I still cast spells at, say 10 feet effectively?

Or did I need higher for that?

Oh yeah, and didn't Lucian also glance upwards? Just reminding you.
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-09 at 12:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

They aren't so much letters as symbols, they are a language to themselves.

And no, even at 15 ft you cannot cast.

edit for you edit: The barrier rises above the asylum into a dome. It is also late at night.
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-09 at 12:11 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Huh. Alright then.
    Sigh. If only I had Eladrin Boots and a Mithrendain Steel Longsword...

IC: Lucian frowns up at the sky again, before marching resolutely up to the runes, and altering the runes. He attempts to change 'draw' to something more along the lines of 'amplify', or failing that, 'leave unaffected'. Failing even that, he just starts doodling and defacing. In Eternal Chalk.

Yeah.

Spoiler
    Show
    You, sir, have just preempted my two most major means of escape. Namely, teleporting, and this nifty little warlock power that imitates a vampire's mist form. Well played.
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-09 at 12:13 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

As soon as you get too close to the barrier, the various 'draw' runes begin to glow brighter and you feel a deep pain in your chest, as if it is ripping your life away.

[You lose a healing surge]
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-09 at 12:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Random endurance check: (1d20+17)[27]

Lucian actually laughs. This is nothing! Nothing compared to what he's been through, what he's faced, what he's lost! He lunges on, now determining to deface and thereby hopefully deactivate the 'draw' runes. Scrawls or smiliey, it doesn't matter. He just has to get rid of this annoying sensation so that he can concentrate.
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-09 at 12:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Defacing the runes proves to be impossible, the wall is too sheer and the chalk slides over the surface without leaving a mark.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Jalean

After taking stock of his surroundings, Jalean approaches the group gathering on this floor, sword sheathed but ready to draw it if need be.

"I assume you all are other newly freed prisioners. Do any of you know what happened or who this 'new management' is?"
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yelling in rage, Lucian slashes and scores at the wall with his sword, while the other hand is scratching at the sheer face with a crowbar that came from the gods know where. Tears stream down from his eyes... No! He will not fail, after coming so far, suffering so much...

Spoiler
    Show
    You can tell me it's not doing any good now; I've got the next post ready.
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-09 at 12:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

"Sounds like an experiment. Let them out and see what happens. I'll look for a way out or secure the area." Since only Lightning and the halfling stayed on the second floor, the grim-looking warforged looks towards the human, but let's the halfling talk.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Raheman

The thunderous wrath slowly fades from Raheman's face, as he decides there won't be a fight. Relaxing, he approaches. "You Spoke of Gangs. Who Leads You?"
    "A troubled mind is the first sign of intelligence."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

His slit eyes prowled the room. Apart from from clothing and food, Dusk had seen nothing different in his cell for two years. Sneaking up warily, he undid the package. With an exuberant cry, he donned his old assassin's gear, and inserted the key into the lock. With a snik, it turned cleanly. He stepped out of his cell, teeth bared in a feral smile.
    'At last,' he thought with a grim smile ' the hunt is on.'
    OOC:Sorry I'm late for the party, I got tangled up in schoolwork.
    Last edited by CrazedBanana; 2009-06-09 at 06:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Lucian-

Staying too close to the wall continues to drain you, and the wall suffers no ill effects.

[You lose another healing surge]

Card Table-

Willitz continues to shuffle the cards. " It's a little complicated... But, from the beginning. We all wake up yesterday and everything's different, suddenly all the inmates are free and have taken over the place. Only we can't get out. There's some kind of barrier outside that no-one can get through. But still, things weren't looking too bad, we were out of those blasted cells at least." He shakes his head, "But the peace wouldn't last. You see, almost as soon as things started to get settled, the inmates fractured." He cuts the deck in two and draws the top card of one pile, a King. "DuCroix and his boys said the best ticket out of here was research, looking over whatever they can find to dispel the field. Most of the wizards joined with him." He draws the top card from the opposite deck, a Jack. "Oendrin believes that only divine intervention can help them now, and him and his group are busy preparing a ritual to invoke aid. Though, they can't seem to agree on who to call on." He turns over the next three cards of each deck, from Oendrin's pile, three kings turn over, and from Ducroix's, three jacks. "Problem is, each has what the other wants." You get the feeling you probably shouldn't play poker with this guy. "So, rather than outright killing everyone for what they want and risk losing it, a Truce was called. It's holding, shakily, anything could end up tipping the scales. See, me and my boys are with Ducroix, in a fashion, don't really care for the nutter, and we took this job to get out of there. But we'd rather not have the religious nutters take over the place, so we are here to persuade you to stick with us."

Second Floor-

"Well," the halfling nods at Jalean, "That's the thing, no one has claimed responsibility for letting us out. No-one knows how our gear ended up in our rooms. So until further notice, we are the new management. But if you are looking for some kind of leader, that would be either Ducroix or Oengrin. The two started separate factions shortly after we took control and each has their own theory on how to get through the barrier. Oengrin is planning a ritual to invoke a God to help them, while Ducroix has been researching a spell to blast through it. So, it turned out that Ducroix managed to get his hands on all the magic items from the storage, and they both need them for their respective spells. Oengrin, however, got his hands on all the spellbooks. Neither will simplu trade what he has, and rather than try and kill each other, a Truce was declared. Now, folk have a choice to join up with either one, and doing so is in your best interest while the Truce holds." He shrugs. "I joined up with Oengrin, because, let's face it, Ducroix is out and out evil. Of all the people who deserve to be in here, he is top of the list."

Dusk-

You are on the second floor with the halfling, just past Jalean's cell.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

Raheman

Raheman stands silent for a moment, his eyes distant as he considers the situation. Doubtless they have not yet called on Bahamut... but neither can the narrow-minded fanatics be counted upon to see reason, to side with the Righteous Dragon. On the other hand... side with mages? Pointy-headed anarchists...

Raheman looks at the gambler. "Has any of this prison not yet been explored?"
    "A troubled mind is the first sign of intelligence."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Kasimira's face sours when the man shoos her back, but lets the man do his thing, soon quirking a brow at the man's choice of tactics. Still, she keeps her distance, listening to the conversation and waiting for the white-haired man to leave. When he does, she descends, addressing the fresh faced group she had eavesdropped on. Her voice is hoarse and soft, and it takes another attempt before she's loud enough to be heard.

"...Should look for 'management' if...looking for others. Might have files, records...to help you...."

Kasimira frowned at the attempt, holding her throat when her voice loses strength. She wasn't used to speaking anymore. When the gnome speaks, however, she turns to him, her brow furrowing while she listens.

"Ritual? An action without...thought...but, might not be...Where...DuCroix?"
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Just when you thought you had the advantage,
    A riddle backstabbed you for critical damage.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacob sighed, listening to the men seated around the Table, and walking back over to them. They didn't seem like to nut cases. They were caught between a rock and a hard place, and just trying to survive.

"You Gentleman know if there's a Noble's Daughter anywhere abouts? Lady Arva. I've been hired to find her. Tall woman, rather pretty, blonde."

Jacob smiled at them waiting for their answer.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Lightning nods when the halfling mentions Ducroix' nature. The religious faction might be less efficient (at least if they don't all serve the same god), but they should be more reliable. There'll be pointless violence either way, it's practically bound to happen (it happened in the past in way more stable mortal societies). "Where can I find Oengrin?"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

The whispers that have been oddly quiet suddenly come back in more than full force.

"STOP."

Lucian staggers back, trembling, clutching his head. The hand upon the hilt of Dalgaraas shakes violently, as his shivers almost bring him to his knees. But, in spite of this, or perhaps because of it, a smile, a slightly mad smile flashes across Lucian's face. He listens to the mad whispers. Yet, in the madness, he finds sanity. Logic. He knows what to do now.

Backing off again, 15 or so feet from the wall, just within its radius of influence, Lucian drops to a crouch, and begins drawing precise lines on the ground with the chalk that has now reappeared in his hands. His left hand still rests reassuringly on the hilt of the now-sheathed blade, whispering into his ear.. The lines grow as he draws and draws, blooming into intricate designs. Runes begin to appear on the floor, in a short parabola, focusing their magics upon an approximate 4-foot wide space on the wall. Runes that are the antithesis to the draining runes upon the wall. Runes that block the jamming of arcana. Runes to counteract those before him. A makeshift counterspell.

Yet the runes only sputter slightly, formidable spells in face of his hasty attempt. He smiles. That wouldn't do. Drawing out a silver dagger from some unknown space, more for ceremonial and ritual purposes than actual combat, he scores a cut upon his right palm (his left, after all, is is main hand). It is not deep, but blood soon flows from the long cut in earnest. He retraces the lines carefully in his own blood, the blood of a mage and a warlock, blood bound to souls of mystical creatures within both the Abyss and the Feywild. Creatures of fire and ice will aid his blood, to strengthen the spell. And the wall shall fall. He is sure of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just not sure when.

23. - Top - End - #53

Second Floor-

"Oengrin's Ward is through there," he points to the south east door, through which Lucian went through. He then points to the northeast door. "Ducroix and his goons are through there."

Card Table-

"We took over the north ward, through there," He points to the north east door. "And as I said before, Oengrins crew is through the door you friend just went through."

To Raheman, one of the other card players pipes up, a dwarf. "Course we explored most of it, make sure there aren't any guards wanderin about. Just a bunch of offices, a kitchen, judges chamber." He spits. "Wish the breakout happened during the day, I would have loved to get my hands on that judge."

"You Gentleman know if there's a Noble's Daughter anywhere abouts? Lady Arva. I've been hired to find her. Tall woman, rather pretty, blonde."
    Willitz replies, "She doesn't sound familiar, though she sounds like she could be in a bit of trouble. Not a lot of "pretty ladies" around here, if you catch my meaning. Chances are she fell in with one of the Bosses."

Lucian-

The blood runes seem to glow slightly, but any effect is quickly dissipated by the barrier.

[Make a perception check]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lucian curses silently, yet he leans in to examine the flickering closer, a lamp suddenly appearing in his hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+7)[8]
    EDIT: Ohdeargod that's the second natural 1 on a perception I've had so far...
    While I'm at it:
    Arcana - (1d20+16)[20]
    Insight - (1d20+11)[25]
    because they may be of use. Maybe.
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-10 at 07:00 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you." Lightning always has to remind himself of the usual phrases and words used in conversation. When he talked with others of Valor's unit, everyone knew they had the others' trust and loyalty, so those phrases were barely used. Valor called them her family once. Family...

Guilt strikes again. Deep in thought, the seven-feet warforged walks past the halfling and human, keeping a respectful distance in the process. His hands start to close and open, he fixes small flaws without looking like he is used to. He barely notices another arc this time. Why are silent, Companion?, he thinks, knowing his docent can hear him, seeking her company.

26. - Top - End - #56

Lucian-

You don't notice anything, and can't think of anything else that might be capable of shutting the barrier down.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cursing to himself in blasphemous words that can only be described as Abyssal, Lucian is not out of tricks yet. He pulls out a small spade from his apparent hammerspace (i.e. bag of holding) and quickly starts digging at the perimeter of the wall. Only a foot or so. If it went down at least that far, it would probably not be a dome; it would be a sphere. And that would make things much more logical.
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-10 at 07:37 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

[So you are going to hang around the wall long enough to lose another healing surge? Alright...]

You dig with your crowbar (since you don't have a shovel listed ) and the dome does indeed continue downward, so you logically conclude it must be a sphere. Something really wants to keep you in here.

[Lose another Healing surge. Ah, healing surges, the Ability Drain of 4e]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I have "Random other bits and pieces" listed, which basically means, "things not actually listed as equipment in the PHB which are not overly large". But whatever.
    And I still have 8 surges.

Lucian smiles, and strides away from the wall. As he passes by the runes he drew, he traces it again with more blood. Just to see if anything happens.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do I need another perception, or will nothing happen?
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-10 at 07:49 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

[Are you dealing damage to yourself in order to make the spell stronger? ie, 1d10 for a minor wound]

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawaeyn View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have "Random other bits and pieces" listed, which basically means, "things not actually listed as equipment in the PHB which are not overly large". But whatever.
    In other words, anything you can pull out to solve any problem if need be I would say things like string, common chalk etc would be 'random bits and pieces' not a shovel.
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-10 at 07:58 AM.